Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

there must be a way in say excel to automate this
not macros
not manually
not vba
lol good loving luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Sniep posted:

windows doesnt support SSL properly so you should probably try a server running linux to do the server side of this
just do your ssl termination with an elastic load balancer

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Misogynist posted:

just do your ssl termination with an elastic load balancer

no lol

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what is this called?
a csv comes in and has to be saved to another csV with a subset of the columns and in a different order
not macros
not manually
not vba

just like a definition file that says "put A into F, B into G, write this text into J,"

don't touch the poop

(the poop is excel)

do it in Python lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what is this called?
a csv comes in and has to be saved to another csV with a subset of the columns and in a different order
not macros
not manually
not vba

just like a definition file that says "put A into F, B into G, write this text into J,"

python or R maybe?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

bobbilljim posted:

don't touch the poop

(the poop is excel)

do it in Python lol

as a p-langer I agree with this post

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what is this called?
not macros
not manually
not vba

awk -F, '{print $x","$y","$z}'

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sniep posted:

seriously don't do this, just use a csv library in whatever lang you choose

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dont

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
jeesh fine lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what is this called?
not macros
not manually
not vba

its called ETL. office automation is bad so don't use that. If this is to load into sql server just use ssis, otherwise use java or c# to do the transform.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Sniep posted:

If the problem is as simple as blunts says, awk would be the easiest. just a one-liner. don't listen to the awk haters

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

why do people hate awk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no one wants to install an entire Linux for some bad string parsing tool.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Tankakern posted:

If the problem is as simple as blunts says, awk would be the easiest. just a one-liner. don't listen to the awk haters

yep

DNova posted:

why do people hate awk

its more fun to write programs than to just get work done

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Shaggar posted:

no one wants to install an entire Linux for some bad string parsing tool.
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/gawk.htm

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Sniep posted:

i changed my mind, do this

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

found a thing called csvfix that seems promising to do CSV Bullshit Things

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
the best csv bullshit thing is Python + pandas + ipython notebook and maybe bokeh if you want nice graphs

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

They probably disabled RC4 because of the IETF recommendation. XP/IE8 can do TLS1.0 and there's no reason to turn that off, but it can't to AES ciphers. Tell them to enable 3DES to replace the RC4 cipher and it should work fine.

it turns out it's because I didn't specify a default https site / required SNI on everything

so it was my fault. and it wasn't IE8 users it was specifically winxp users.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

graph posted:

IE 8 / XP No FS 1 No SNI 2

this was exactly the problem

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

IE10+ appears to be dumping cookies in both the root cookies folder and cookies\low. What is going on there?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

our dba is adding host entries to the dev server and then trying to ping from the desktop and wondering why it isn't working. kill me.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

our dba is adding host entries to the dev server and then trying to ping from the desktop and wondering why it isn't working. kill me.

a dba a couple of jobs ago had one huge fuckoff tnsnames.ora with entries spanning multiple sites on multiple continents on a smb share that he mounted on all clients so they'd all have the same one. Of couse the server hosting the share failed one day breaking all clients in europe

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

spankmeister posted:

a dba a couple of jobs ago had one huge fuckoff tnsnames.ora with entries spanning multiple sites on multiple continents on a smb share that he mounted on all clients so they'd all have the same one. Of couse the server hosting the share failed one day breaking all clients in europe

you can use the TNS_ADMIN variable to point to a network location for your tnsnames file and its the only sane way to handle it honestly but lmbo if he didn't put it on its own share and set it to be always available offline or on a DFS share

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

you can use the TNS_ADMIN variable to point to a network location for your tnsnames file and its the only sane way to handle it honestly but lmbo if he didn't put it on its own share and set it to be always available offline or on a DFS share

~Oracle DBA's~

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
im getting ptsd from reading those horror stories... i should probably stop

gently caress devops

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

devvops

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CrazyLittle posted:

im getting ptsd from reading those horror stories... i should probably stop

gently caress devops

we are not men

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

can you use some kind of oracle jank to read the connection string from a zookeeper server or a script that asks zk or something that can be made reliable and consistent between locations?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

prefect posted:

we are not men

wwow nice

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can you use some kind of oracle jank to read the connection string from a zookeeper server or a script that asks zk or something that can be made reliable and consistent between locations?

I would expect the oracle client to be able to handle http instead of cifs/smb since its just parsing a variable. but yeah barring that put your tnsnames file up on some kind of web server and configure you clients to copy it down at startup and use that local cached file

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

prefect posted:

we are not men

cj u want

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

pink jazz tracerts

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I'm building a gaming pc and so far all that's arrived is the graphics card and the ssd.

i figured to save myself time later on to start loading the ssd up with windows and games so i can play games when all the other parts come in.

all i have is a usb-sata connector and a macbook pro with vmware fusion on it. most bad sites say you can't install windows to a drive connected via usb. windows setup says it isn't supported and won't let me format the ssd. some sites say i can mod files and create a new iso and all this other nerd poo poo.

how do i put windows on ssd connected via usb

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

wolffenstein posted:

I'm building a gaming pc and so far all that's arrived is the graphics card and the ssd.

i figured to save myself time later on to start loading the ssd up with windows and games so i can play games when all the other parts come in.

all i have is a usb-sata connector and a macbook pro with vmware fusion on it. most bad sites say you can't install windows to a drive connected via usb. windows setup says it isn't supported and won't let me format the ssd. some sites say i can mod files and create a new iso and all this other nerd poo poo.

this is a bad idea

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DNova posted:

this is a bad idea

concur

just wait

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

if u do this u will have to do it all over again when the rest of ur idiot machine arrives lol

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

alright do I go Motorola cable modem (sb6141) and an airport express orrrr a motorola sbg6580 with an n router built in? also this is for a house plz and ty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
modem + router, every time

sbg6580 is pretty mediocre. firewall sucks (it would always "forget" to forward ports if a device went to sleep). its not dual band so you only get 2.4 OR 5 ghz, not both at the same time.