Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

I'll be in Asheville later this coming week, unexpectedly, and I'm definitely hitting Burial/WW now, no doubt. The last time I was in town, Craggie was still open, is how long it's been.

Hi-Wire Brewing opened in the old Craggy spot and they're generally pretty good. They're a little futher from the WW/Burial block but still really close.

Anybody that comes to town feel free to hit me up for a pint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepper bologna
Dec 31, 2005
A man among mushrooms
I would echo the typical Asheville recommendations, as well as add Asheville Brewing Company. Their Shiva IPA and Ninja Porter (2014 WBC winner) are both great beers. They also have a full restaurant should you be interested. Bruisin' Ales is probably the place to go with respect to a bottle shop, and Thirsty Monk is a good beer bar (American craft on first floor, Belgians in basement).

If you have time/interest and access to a car I would also suggest Pisgah in Black Mountain NC, which is about 15-20 minutes to the east of Asheville. They have a few quality beers that I think are worth your time, especially their stouts. Further away on I-40 would be Fonta Flora in Morganton NC (~50 minutes), and Olde Hickory in Hickory NC (~75 minutes), both of which also produce some great stuff. My wife and I just went to Fonta Flora yesterday and they are doing some really interesting things with adjuncts that other breweries (to my knowledge) have not really been trying. For example, they have a few saisons featuring beets, fennel, and carrot.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
Line around the block for Half Acre's Big Hugs release, Chicago.txt

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dominator posted:

LOL

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

dominator posted:

People did that for Dino Smores and most Binnys had like 15-20 cases of the stuff on the floor. I look forward to getting my bottle of big hugs without having to wait outside. loving weirdos.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dark Horse 4 elf Party - Dark Horse finally matched demand of their infamous BB Plead the 5th - there was enough to go around for anybody who showed up throughout the day (2 case limit). The hardcore crowd were able to get BourbRum Plead the 5th, which wasn't as good as regular BB Plead the 5th (unless you love rum).

I had a great time, cut short thanks to my terrible head cold. Bottle shares in line were really fun, and the weather wasn't nearly as bad as last year, but next year I'm not going to bother waiting in line.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
You can just drop those off directly at my house since I really love rum.

Earlier tonight/this morning I was having a long and annoying dream about sweeping up a huge amount of glass off the floor where someone dropped a bunch of Rolling Rock bottles or something. I was literally awakened from this same dream by a loud POP and the sound of falling glass. I went out to the kitchen and it turned out that a homebrew I'd forgotten to drink had exploded at random. Now the dream....has become a reality :tinfoil:

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My god this has to be a joke, right? RIGHT?

Chicago Beer Facebook Group posted:

I will be driving from South Carolina to Chicago for the Nutulhu release with 4 other guys. How early Tuesday evening should we get in line to guarantee getting bottles?

E: vvv hehe

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 15, 2014

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

My god this has to be a joke, right? RIGHT?

Per talkbeer, it is.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
At least i got to try Nutulhu at FoBAB, I doubt I'll be able to get out of work in time to get a bottle with these crazies lining up.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So is Marz Chicago's version of Dogfish Head? http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...-and-i-drank-it

:gonk:

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

crazyfish posted:

So is Marz Chicago's version of Dogfish Head? http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...-and-i-drank-it

ISO

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

crazyfish posted:

I would drink it. I mean, as long as the saltiness of the soy sauce is not overpowering it could be good. Flying Dog's oyster stout is pretty decent and this seems less crazy, particularly when soy sauce is a profile often mentioned in stouts.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 16, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Fat Lou posted:

I would drink it. I mean, as long as the saltiness of the soy sauce is not overpowering it could be good. Flying Dog's oyster stout is pretty decent and this seems less crazy, particularly when soy sauce is a profile often mentioned in stouts.

Yeah, I was excited to try this but kind of forgot about it and a trip to Maria's isn't in the cards anytime soon...

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Against the Grain is really awesome and I need more KY common in my life.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Fat Lou posted:

Oysters in beer is historic, so there's absolutely nothing crazy about them. The shells contribute mineral content to the water and accent the maltiness of the stout.

Speaking of malty, Flying Dog's Brewhouse Doppelbock is drat solid, though I see some people disliking it due to a medicinal finish.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

crazyfish posted:

This made me ask, "what's a soy sauce barrel?" Apparently it's a traditional thing in Japan and somehow I've never heard of bourbon barrel-aged soy sauce even though it's been around for a while.

That article though - really, the only time he's heard "soy sauce" in a beer-related context was BEER NERDS complaining about Dark Lord? Not like, a huge number of imperial stouts that were over-aged? And stop trying to make 'picobrewery' or god forbid 'femtobrewery' a real thing. People have been calling their barely commercial 1-barrel setups nanobreweries for years - we don't need more undefined terminology.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Thanks, I just found a bunch of xmas gifts.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

dphi posted:

This made me ask, "what's a soy sauce barrel?" Apparently it's a traditional thing in Japan and somehow I've never heard of bourbon barrel-aged soy sauce even though it's been around for a while.

That article though - really, the only time he's heard "soy sauce" in a beer-related context was BEER NERDS complaining about Dark Lord? Not like, a huge number of imperial stouts that were over-aged? And stop trying to make 'picobrewery' or god forbid 'femtobrewery' a real thing. People have been calling their barely commercial 1-barrel setups nanobreweries for years - we don't need more undefined terminology.

Obviously the answer is to create a yocto brewery.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I got some sort of Bourbon Barrel aged Worchestshire sauce recently too

Basically, at this point if it hasn't touched a barrel I won't eat/drink it

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

dphi posted:

I think you're drawing a lot into flourishes of writing. The soy sauce comment is a direct stab at the famous "bad" years of DL. The other stuff is just trying to, y'know, write about beer in a readable way. I like Montoro very much, as he's one of the few people writing for a large-ish publication who tries to be somewhat formal in his reviews without delving into food critic self-importance nor falling into the dontdrinkbeer level of dick jokes.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
So Sweetwater is the latest brewery to try to find shelf and tap space in the Chicago area.

I don't even know anymore, man...

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

I got some sort of Bourbon Barrel aged Worchestshire sauce recently too

Basically, at this point if it hasn't touched a barrel I won't eat/drink it

Let's Talk Beer 4: If it hasn't touched a barrel, I won't eat/drink it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

danbanana posted:

So Sweetwater is the latest brewery to try to find shelf and tap space in the Chicago area.

I don't even know anymore, man...

They started distributing in NoVA a little while ago and I don't get it either. They're ok and they make 'pretty good' beer, but every style we get is outdone by multiple other options.

Then again, my uncle in NC seems to love it and always has a fridge full.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChickenArise posted:

They started distributing in NoVA a little while ago and I don't get it either. They're ok and they make 'pretty good' beer, but every style we get is outdone by multiple other options.

Then again, my uncle in NC seems to love it and always has a fridge full.

When I had family in NC, it was often the best option on the shelf or at most bars. I like their stuff just fine but Chicago does not need another large regional brewery to fight for space.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Revolution Straight Jacket returns January 7th, according to my latest mug club email. I hope the new money CCBE crowd doesn't do bullshit lineups.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

The only Sweetwater beer I ever buy is the Festive Ale cause it's a pretty good value at $5 a bomber. I can't imagine why they would try to expand into Chicago.

It Atlanta news, the Porter is advising everyone to skip work tomorrow for something "insane", rumor being tequila barrel Mexican Cake. I've never tried a tequila aged beer and can't even imagine what it adds to a beer. Anyone tried it?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i think a lot of distributors signed all these breweries not just to expand their own portfolios, but also to deny their competitors another craft label in theirs. craft is a growing market segment, after all...

but, yeah, i'm tired of seeing mediocre beer from across the country collecting dust in my favorite beer spots.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Just saw a crowler machine in action for the first time. It filled me with childlike joy, much like when I went to the Victory and saw an automatic growler fill machine for the first time. Bliss.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Forgot how super delicious St. Bernardus 12 is on tap.

Also, Firestone 18 on tap at map room, $8/10oz. Have at it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

crazyfish posted:

Stopped by yesterday, my god it really is good. Abt 12 is easily one of my all time favorites especially if you consider the fact you can ALWAYS get it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Just saw a crowler machine in action for the first time. It filled me with childlike joy, much like when I went to the Victory and saw an automatic growler fill machine for the first time. Bliss.

When I saw that machine the first time I knew I had to buy something regardless of the beer. Nothing cooler than them sealing a big fat can right there in front of you.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crazyfish posted:

Also, Firestone 18 on tap at map room, $8/10oz. Have at it.

That's a nice deal considering bottles are going for like $22+ out here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

SUPER HASSLER posted:

You've never lived until you've witnessed first hand the zen art of industrial manufacturing lines.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Does anyone have any good recipes/guidelines for doing a BCBS infusion? I want to try one with coconut and one with a vanilla bean to split with my brother at Christmas. I have a French press but I've also seen some posts where people just throw a split bean in the bottle and re-cap.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

nosleep posted:

Does anyone have any good recipes/guidelines for doing a BCBS infusion? I want to try one with coconut and one with a vanilla bean to split with my brother at Christmas. I have a French press but I've also seen some posts where people just throw a split bean in the bottle and re-cap.

Agreed. I've been leaning towards getting myself a french press just for this purpose after seeing some people in beer groups doing toasted coconut BCBS and vanilla bean BCBS

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nosleep posted:

Vanilla bean: 1/2 a bean and recap for a couple days.
Coconut: toast some coconut, put it in a french press, pour in BCBS, push that poo poo down.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
i would say to let the beer sit in the press for ten to fifteen minutes

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Learning a few things about Aussie craft over at Taps in KL. I was warned to expect Mikkeller so this was a nice surprise. A pour is about mid 20's MYR/$7-8 USD so it's not too bad. Got things started with this malty chocolate porter, Holgate Temptress. That triple ipa from Doctor's Order isn't a bad attempt at a huge hop grenade too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Hipster Brunch Stout finally arrived here, only 1 case. Hilariously, the guy who cleared the entire shelf at the BA Mayan Mocha release (a friend-of-a-friend of a friend) is totally unaware of it because I told my brother in law not to pass information on to his friend, who in turn was keeping the hoarder guy posted, since he lives a couple cities away. I am probably way more proud of myself than I should be, but hey. Leave some for other people knowmsayin? :c00lbutt: