Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
I'm Carefree :unsmith:

I prefer Fighters because in addition to being agile, they also crit like motherfuckers which is handy when you're hunting metal-whatevers.

In the 5 minutes I've played so far, I am really appreciating the new translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
The lack of enemy battle animations is my only grievance with this port. :(

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Fenrir posted:

You pretty much want everyone Sexy or Lewd anyway, except maybe a Soldier/Fighter (who uses Soldiers though?). Amazon/Valiant are useful for those. The rest mostly suck.

Sexy is considered the best mostly because you don't have to worry about personalities if everyone has it. However, certain specialized roles make some other personalities better:

Pure melee - Valiant better by far, as you noted.

Pure Casting - Sharp gives the best MP growth. More Vivifies, Blazemores, etc.

Divinegon Party- Quick on a Thief helps so that you can have someone with a Sage Rock healing at the beginning of the turn. Quick on a Thief who used to be a Sage lets them buff/debuff/blazemore before Divinegon or anyone else in the party can act.

Of course, since this game encourages you to class change (and thus make many characters some kind of dual-utility character), you'll probably end up making people Sexy and then having them read a book or equip something when you need them to be something else.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Anyone tried DQ3 on an iPad mini? Wondering if this is way more an iPhone game (I don't have one, but if this runs well on Android then it could be something to get on my Nexus 5 instead). I also have a bluetooth keyboard and it would be great to control with the cursor keys if iPad version supports that.

Any of you know?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
The fact that Dream World Amor is not a Zoom location is confusing and annoying. Why the hell did they do that?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

http://gematsu.com/2014/12/theatrhythm-dragon-quest-announced-3ds#uY0TzeOwKJ4OgbVG.99

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest announced for 3DS

:allears:

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

:aaa: :aaaaa: :toot:

Great, if it doesn't get announced for NA I am probably going to need to get a Japanese 3DS. C'mon SE. The localization will be minimal. You can do it.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I could actually see them localizing that... and then using its failure as an excuse to not localize future DQ games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't know how to feel about that. Final Fantasy has almost always had some great and memorable music, and I feel Dragon Quest has much less. Outside of Dragon Quest 8, I don't think I could tell you where a single music track came from. It's not that I think Dragon Quest has bad music, far from it. It's just that in the games before 8, to me the music was just kind of...there. It works well, sounds good, but it doesn't really stick in your brain like pretty much any FF game.

Maybe I'm the odd one out on this though and everyone else here thinks the music is fantastically memorable. :v:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I wouldn't say that DQ has music as good as Final Fantasy but that's a really high bar to clear anyway. I think DQ music is very charming and memorable and occasionally brilliant.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I love both DQ and Theatrhythm. They should localize it. And then release the Metal Slime PS4 here. Or just the latter.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Guys I made a pretty big mistake in my previous post: Daredevil is "Fearless" from the GBC remake. Quick is actually "Bat Out of Hell." Sorry about that! Only 60 more medals to go for the Agility Scarf...

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!

I'll be patient for a bit, and if nothing surfaces, then I'm buying a Japanese 3DS.
Then probably buying Rocket Slime, Monsters 1 & 2 and DQ7.

I will just have a Japanese Dragon Quest machine...

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

SereneCrimson posted:

I'll be patient for a bit, and if nothing surfaces, then I'm buying a Japanese 3DS.
Then probably buying Rocket Slime, Monsters 1 & 2 and DQ7.

I will just have a Japanese Dragon Quest machine...

As someone who has a JP 3DS and every currently available DQ game with it, you should do this. The DQ Monsters remakes in particular are loving phenomenal, with vastly improved gameplay, more monsters and gorgeous visuals.

Bear in mind there's basically no English guides for these that I've found. But if you can cope with that, just buy that poo poo now, don't wait! You won't regret it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The whole squad follows you in FMS, while BMS are vertical/first person. Munchie is present ontop of 8's head.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

thorsilver posted:

As someone who has a JP 3DS and every currently available DQ game with it, you should do this. The DQ Monsters remakes in particular are loving phenomenal, with vastly improved gameplay, more monsters and gorgeous visuals.

Bear in mind there's basically no English guides for these that I've found. But if you can cope with that, just buy that poo poo now, don't wait! You won't regret it.

I was working on a DQM 2 guide. Lost interest in making it extremely detailed based on how much demand there was for it at the time, but it'll help you out if you don't read japanese.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

BabyRyoga posted:

I was working on a DQM 2 guide. Lost interest in making it extremely detailed based on how much demand there was for it at the time, but it'll help you out if you don't read japanese.

Yeah give us a link to it! :) I'd love to read it. I've definitely missed a few things due to lack of kanji knowledge, that's for sure.

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
I just preordered Dragon Quest Theatrhythm. I hope Gema appears in one of the battles. I can't wait to see all the different Slimes. Hopefully they will have an English release.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here, have some off-screen Dragon Quest Heroes gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esEkTVmsZS0

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TurnipFritter posted:

The whole squad follows you in FMS, while BMS are vertical/first person. Munchie is present ontop of 8's head.
I really like that BMS look. That's very DQ.

...and we'll never see it :ssh:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=549RPbmCEs4

Theatrhythm Dragon Quest trailer.

It looks sooooooooooooo cute and fun :3:

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 20, 2014

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
I want it but I can't even import it.

That makes me very sad. :(

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The slimes are cuter than ever!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jump Fiesta Dragon Quest Heroes trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrDM236kWY

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
How do they keep making slimes so drat adorable?!

SlimeSanction
Oct 21, 2008
Can you play as the S&M thug in Theatrythm? The battles look amazing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
DQ5 on app store.

That was...fast.

Weird too, because I thought it'd take a while to get the patent/rights from Nintendo considering they translated the thing?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah DQV is out on both iOS and Android. Looks good plays good it's good.

All good for $15.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was actually going to ask what people thought about DQ 1, 2 and 3 on iOS, but I've just found that playing all but really simple games on my iPod is just too irritating. I don't care so much about 4 and 5 because I have those for DS, but I thought that iOS versions would be a good way to enjoy the Famicom (I presume?) versions of the first 3 games, which I've never played. iPads are loving expensive and I can't afford one, and on that tiny screen even well-designed games are a pain in the dick.

I picked up Final Fantasy Dimensions over the holidays because it reminds e of FFV, which I adore, and it was on special. No complaints price-wise at $8 and I do think it's a well-designed game, but trying to play anything more complex than Fruit Ninja or "Throw the ball of paper in the bin" just isn't on for me.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

JustJeff88 posted:

I was actually going to ask what people thought about DQ 1, 2 and 3 on iOS, but I've just found that playing all but really simple games on my iPod is just too irritating. I don't care so much about 4 and 5 because I have those for DS, but I thought that iOS versions would be a good way to enjoy the Famicom (I presume?) versions of the first 3 games, which I've never played. iPads are loving expensive and I can't afford one, and on that tiny screen even well-designed games are a pain in the dick.

I picked up Final Fantasy Dimensions over the holidays because it reminds e of FFV, which I adore, and it was on special. No complaints price-wise at $8 and I do think it's a well-designed game, but trying to play anything more complex than Fruit Ninja or "Throw the ball of paper in the bin" just isn't on for me.

DQ1-3 ios are good. DQ1 and 2 have spotty graphics, but really colorful and fun retranslations. DQ3, while missing monster battle animations, is still fantastic. They're on android too, in case you don't have an iphone.

Why uh...what happened to your title? Did you sell the DW7 I gave you?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Himuro posted:

DQ1-3 ios are good. DQ1 and 2 have spotty graphics, but really colorful and fun retranslations. DQ3, while missing monster battle animations, is still fantastic. They're on android too, in case you don't have an iphone.

Why uh...what happened to your title? Did you sell the DW7 I gave you?

No, I still have it. My title is due partially to poor choice of words on my part, but mostly thanks to some colossal fuckwits in SA Mart.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

No, I still have it. My title is due partially to poor choice of words on my part, but mostly thanks to some colossal fuckwits in SA Mart.
having read the thread i think its pretty funny honestly

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

And you being a cheap miser.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Endorph posted:

having read the thread i think its pretty funny honestly

I stopped reading after one acerbic goon offered to throw in $5, but people kept posting after that. I'd like to think that I have better things to do than read that nonsense. One of the beauties of the internet is that it is generally very easy to avoid and ignore total wankers (see previous poster).

Anyway, rest assured that I still have Himuro's copy of DQ7 that she so generously gave me, and let's end this derail. This thread has been a ghost town recently, and if it's going to be revitalised it should be with DQ chat, not a bunch of shite.

What I do find funny is that they take the piss out of me for being cheap, then someone spent actual money to give me a derisive title. I'm not going to waste my money changing it... perhaps they're right. :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

JustJeff88 posted:

I stopped reading after one acerbic goon offered to throw in $5, but people kept posting after that. I'd like to think that I have better things to do than read that nonsense. One of the beauties of the internet is that it is generally very easy to avoid and ignore total wankers (see previous poster).

Anyway, rest assured that I still have Himuro's copy of DQ7 that she so generously gave me, and let's end this derail. This thread has been a ghost town recently, and if it's going to be revitalised it should be with DQ chat, not a bunch of shite.

What I do find funny is that they take the piss out of me for being cheap, then someone spent actual money to give me a derisive title. I'm not going to waste my money changing it... perhaps they're right. :)

That is some impressive passive aggression.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

i'd like to think i have better things to do than read that nonsense. let's end this derail.

AND ANOTHER THING

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Skeezy posted:

Jump Fiesta Dragon Quest Heroes trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTrDM236kWY

Oh poo poo, I can play as Alina?! Throw in the main characters from DQ1-3 and it's a day one purchase.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf
The more I play DQ3 Android, the more I appreciate its stellar translation.

The townsfolk in Jipang almost exclusively talk in Haiku. That's pretty awesome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In DQ Heroes who are the guy and girl they show at the start. The main characters of DQ Heroes itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Evil Fluffy posted:

In DQ Heroes who are the guy and girl they show at the start. The main characters of DQ Heroes itself?

Yeah, there are five original characters. The guy in blue is named Act, the blonde girl is Mar, the big muscly dude is Duke and the bowgun lady in purple is named Juliet. There's also a side kick Heal Slime.