Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Cena does better business than anyone else though? I mean yeah there's reasons for that that aren't "Cena is great" but there's absolutely a logic to why they keep pushing him as the top guy, even if it is flawed. I don't at all believe that his continued super push has anything more to it than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Who else besides Cena have they legitimately tried to push as the "top guy"? The only one I can think of is Randy Orton, and he never drove business the way Cena did. Although that might be because a lot of his time on top was spent as a heel, I don't know if he ever had a legitimate #1 guy face push. I seem to remember most of his time as face being on Smackdown

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spermgod posted:

Cena does better business than anyone else though? I mean yeah there's reasons for that that aren't "Cena is great" but there's absolutely a logic to why they keep pushing him as the top guy, even if it is flawed. I don't at all believe that his continued super push has anything more to it than that.

He does the best business because he's always at the top and he's on top because he does the best business, but you see people like Punk encroach on him when they're given a little bit of time/attention too. Makes you think that if they gave a few people some time and attention that they might have a few people who can move the needle on business, which is nice when Cena needs time off or when they feel like making some more money.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know, I mean yes in a lot of ways, but he also seems to have a hard time seeing why people are fed up of seeing Cena on top. Even in light of the CM Punk stuff he mentions that no one came close to Cena when we know full well that's not true. Yes Cena is on top for business reasons, but he's also there because he's clearly the only guy they want there until he physically can't anymore.

If they fix the rest of their booking problems Cena being on top business wise doesn't really matter. Cena being Cena is fine, I'm not a bit fan of it(but I have to respect it). Honestly I liked the idea behind the Cena/Wyatt feud(Execution was godawful). And Cena only became champion again because Bryan got hurt(Otherwise it was probably Bryan getting fed to Brock, which would have been an amazing two matches), as well as Bryan probably leading the Anti-Authority team at SS.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Me, Blank, Slapnuts, and occasionally AwfulJack talk about our TLC predictions (lmao), Metal Gear bosses, anime, and our matches of the year.

Shout Engine

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DrVenkman posted:

I don't know, I mean yes in a lot of ways, but he also seems to have a hard time seeing why people are fed up of seeing Cena on top. Even in light of the CM Punk stuff he mentions that no one came close to Cena when we know full well that's not true. Yes Cena is on top for business reasons, but he's also there because he's clearly the only guy they want there until he physically can't anymore.

Even so, I think Steve recognizes they need a plan B, which is more than you can say for the way things are being done now.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Listening to the Austin stuff, I'm surprised Dave didn't bring up stuff about the company not making enough stars as big or near John Cena in regards to Cena always willing.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
It's a shame that Austin has no interest in booking/writing because it seems like he'd be pretty good at it.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Imagine being the teenager who had to help Steve Austin stop a deer killing itself. How would you tell that story in a way that would make anyone believe you.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Dave got exposed by thinking the first monitor attempt was a technical glitch. Clearly drawing the audience's attention to the fact that the monitor was powered and increased the tension+focus for the second attempt.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

epitasis posted:

Dave got exposed by thinking the first monitor attempt was a technical glitch. Clearly drawing the audience's attention to the fact that the monitor was powered and increased the tension+focus for the second attempt.

Well, the other option is that WWE intentionally made Ambrose look like the stupidest man alive.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I'm guessing the idea was that he's crazy enough to not think these things through, but there are ways to do that without making the person look like a moron. See Sabu.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

DeathChicken posted:

I'm guessing the idea was that he's crazy enough to not think these things through, but there are ways to do that without making the person look like a moron. See Sabu.
I get what you're saying, but Sabu was probably a bad example

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

minus. five. stars.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
How long have those been sitting in unopened boxes somewhere in Bryan Alvarez's house?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

OctoberCountry posted:

How long have those been sitting in unopened boxes somewhere in Bryan Alvarez's house?

CafePress is a Print on Demand site. It doesn't exist until you buy it.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

elf help book posted:

CafePress is a Print on Demand site. It doesn't exist until you buy it.

That's very disappointing.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Bryan and Vinny's back to back review of TLC and REvolution is great. One is just so completely loathed and the other is absolutely amazing.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I love AJ pointing out that neither Dave nor Bryan asked him about the Styles Clash injuries. Hilarious.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I love that Dave's idea of a super famous baseball manager is Walter Alston.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

I love AJ pointing out that neither Dave nor Bryan asked him about the Styles Clash injuries. Hilarious.

Dave brought that up on twitter right as the interview was published.

quote:

Dave Meltzer @davemeltzerWON · Dec 15

Blame me for not asking about the Styles Clash, my mind was on other things. He actually brought it up after the interview,
0 replies 7 retweets 6 favorites

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So, interrupting Dave this week we've had Austin scratching his beard, his cat on the lapsed fan, pop up video playing on his computer and of course his smoke detector.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Liar Lyre posted:

Bryan and Vinny's back to back review of TLC and REvolution is great. One is just so completely loathed and the other is absolutely amazing.

God, yes. Listened to this at work and it made me stoked as hell to watch REvolution again tonight.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Best part of B&V this week was Bryan capitulating on booze because nobody was sending gifts.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

every year him and vinny say no drinking and every year they cave in

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Me, Blank, Slapnuts, and occasionally AwfulJack talk about our TLC predictions (lmao), Metal Gear bosses, anime, and our matches of the year.

Shout Engine

I'm running out of horrible things for Blindside Trivia.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cardboard Box posted:

every year him and vinny say no drinking and every year they cave in

They are weak beta males.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
still waiting for the year that they call dave drunk.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

still waiting for the year that they call dave drunk.
You'll get Antonio Thomas and like it!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I'm behind on my Observers and as I finish up last week's I saw this quote

quote:

WWE has applied for trademarks for the following terms, “AWA American Wrestling Association,” “Beyond the Ring,” “Crush Couture” (sounds like a new name for a wrestler or a movie character), “Crush Wear” (seemingly this new wrestler they have heavy merchandising hopes for), “NXT,” “Skull King,” MizDow,” “Total Divas” and “Shelton Benjamin."

Dave clearly doesn't know what Couture is. I'm so excited to see WWE's attempt at a couture line.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SKULL KING

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I'm behind on my Observers and as I finish up last week's I saw this quote

Dave clearly doesn't know what Couture is. I'm so excited to see WWE's attempt at a couture line.

Uh obviously they are bringing back the Crush gimmick and he's also an MMA fighter like Randy Couture.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

can they really trademark shelton benjamin's real name

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Endorph posted:

SKULL KING

the VGCW trademark war has begun, I expect they'll be grabbing Deer Lord, Mr. Target and Miss Dim soon.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Cardboard Box posted:

can they really trademark shelton benjamin's real name

They have Cena's.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Daniel Bryan posted:

They have Cena's.

Along with his likeness, ring wear, haircut, and DNA.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Does John Cena write "John Cena™" on all his checks/legal forms?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

no, don't be dumb

it would be John Cena® because its a registered trademark

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Further proof that John Cena is a crazy person that needs medical help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Vince can't just let Monsanto run away with all the most lucrative genetic trademarks.

• Locked thread