Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Really, really, really, pissing me off today: I work for one of the alleged top 100 places to work. One of my good friends works for an absolutely nowhere near the top 100 places to work company. He's getting a company-sponsored catered event at a really loving amazing beer place, where they're handing out company Christmas cash bonuses and Nexus 9s. We got an invitation to a bring your own plate potluck, where the winner gets a $25 Starbucks gift card, and that's all the Christmas bonus that's going around. Who the hell decides these "top 100 places to work" and what the hell do they judge it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pudgygiant posted:

Really, really, really, pissing me off today: I work for one of the alleged top 100 places to work. One of my good friends works for an absolutely nowhere near the top 100 places to work company. He's getting a company-sponsored catered event at a really loving amazing beer place, where they're handing out company Christmas cash bonuses and Nexus 9s. We got an invitation to a bring your own plate potluck, where the winner gets a $25 Starbucks gift card, and that's all the Christmas bonus that's going around. Who the hell decides these "top 100 places to work" and what the hell do they judge it on?

I know there can sometimes be some weird politics involved with parties/events. After a major successful product release, an all-expenses-paid bender at a high-end place with some seriously top-shelf drinks and amazing food is almost expected, but we had to chip in for the regular Christmas party this year at the same time that some teams were having their drinks paid for the next day.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
We have an old VM running Cisco's TMS on Server 2003 that needs to be replaced, so my boss requested a new 2012 server spun up so I can move things over. Coworker gets the VM going and gets it configure, things are good so far, I get SQL express installed, get the TMS install going, so far so good. Then I gently caress up copying in the SA password for the database and manage to somehow lock the account.

I'm not a windows server admin, so I don't know how to fix this and head to google. Turns out I need some more tools then just the install for SQL Express. I download a installer from MSDN, run it thinking it will install the tools, it finishes and nothing. I spend more google time, get another larger install, still nothing. Find yet another installer, run it though, and this time I get an error that tells me I need DotNet3.5. I poke around things on the server, find the menu to install it, and find that I need the disc.
I dig around, find the disc iso, mount it, point the installer at it and huzzah, DotNet3.5.

Then I can install the full database tools only to find that at some point either the account lock went away or I overwrote what was there. No biggie, I made a backup for a reason. Bam, TMS is installed, not to license it. Head to Cisco's site, go to get my key and hey, I can only get license keys for old verions. Turns out our support contract ended 2 weeks ago. Tell the boss, he has me call our vendor. Vendor says he's been trying to talk to my boss for weeks about this, but isn't getting a response. I tell the boss he needs to call, I get stinkeye about it like its my fault and he wanders off mumbling something.

Another successful day.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off: my 802.1X certificate expired so now I have to sit here like some peasant on the guest network until servicedesk gets back from lunch they took at 10.30am.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Crowley posted:

That's in NOK, right? :ohdear:
Otherwise I'll have to bash some heads and demand a raise.

It must be, because honestly, Diesel is cheap in Denmark! Much cheaper than the UK... (Affording the car in the first place is another matter).

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

My girlfriend's company just lost a major contract and had about a 40% RIF, but they're still holding their bangin' rear end Christmas party this week AND they invited all of the people they laid off, to boot. But there's an open bar, so you'll hear no complaints for me.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Support for our main clinical app is utterly terrible. We installed it on some 2012 r2 servers to host it as a citrix app and there we noticed it sometimes cuts off the arrows on numeric fields and drop down boxes, making them only a few pixels wide. When we raised a ticket with support they closed it going "we don't support 2012". So we tried it on some 2008 r2 servers we had since our SSO doesn't work on 2012, and got the same issue. Re-raised the ticket with support, and they closed it going "other people run it on 2008 r2 without issue, it's a problem on your end".

No, assholes, it's a problem with your application being unable to handle the aero rendering engine since it doesn't happen when we turn it off on 2008 and when we switch to a high contrast theme in 2012 (different gui rendering engine than non-high contrast). Christ, 1 mil+ a year to be told to piss off when their application has a problem with something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Signs the coffee hasn't kicked in yet: issuing $: shutdown now on a remote device instead of $: reboot

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

psydude posted:

My girlfriend's company just lost a major contract and had about a 40% RIF, but they're still holding their bangin' rear end Christmas party this week AND they invited all of the people they laid off, to boot. But there's an open bar, so you'll hear no complaints for me.

Everything was probably already paid for so might as well :toot:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Pudgygiant posted:

They judge it off work/life balance, benefits, incidental amenities, etc. A sweet Christmas party is nice, but that happens once a year. A good environment every day easily trumps that.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Dick Trauma posted:

I unfortunately cannot do the I.T. Director job the old HR VP wanted me for. It was in the Valley though so I dodged a traffic bullet.

What makes you think you can't do it? Because if it's a competence issue think of the idiots that usually get these jobs.

You could be that idiot!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dudley posted:

What makes you think you can't do it? Because if it's a competence issue think of the idiots that usually get these jobs.

You could be that idiot!

It requires alot of networking and server skills that if I ever had them have long faded away. My strengths are on the management and desktop side now and I can't bring myself to try to talk my way into a job I can't do. I don't lived the charmed life of the idiots I've worked for so I have to go for positions I'm qualified for.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

hihifellow posted:

Support for our main clinical app is utterly terrible. We installed it on some 2012 r2 servers to host it as a citrix app and there we noticed it sometimes cuts off the arrows on numeric fields and drop down boxes, making them only a few pixels wide. When we raised a ticket with support they closed it going "we don't support 2012". So we tried it on some 2008 r2 servers we had since our SSO doesn't work on 2012, and got the same issue. Re-raised the ticket with support, and they closed it going "other people run it on 2008 r2 without issue, it's a problem on your end".

No, assholes, it's a problem with your application being unable to handle the aero rendering engine since it doesn't happen when we turn it off on 2008 and when we switch to a high contrast theme in 2012 (different gui rendering engine than non-high contrast). Christ, 1 mil+ a year to be told to piss off when their application has a problem with something.

I swear you get better support on a $1.99 app developed by some guy in his bedroom than you do with something that has a $10,000+ pa support contract.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

baquerd posted:

I know there can sometimes be some weird politics involved with parties/events. After a major successful product release, an all-expenses-paid bender at a high-end place with some seriously top-shelf drinks and amazing food is almost expected, but we had to chip in for the regular Christmas party this year at the same time that some teams were having their drinks paid for the next day.

We mobilised a massive contract last year and got an awesome Christmas party during...

Then I had an internal audit this year and it turned out the auditor used to work in accounts and process our expenses. He worked out my involvement and was distinctly unimpressed. Amusing!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sirotan posted:

I've asked for training since day one at this job, and the three bosses I've gone through have all said it would happen. When they fired my coworker a month ago I told my boss I wanted something in writing. He said he'd talked to the EVP (his boss) and get that for me.

Hasn't happened. Due to this and a multitude of other reasons, my New Year's resolution is to :yotj:.

Boss surprised me today by saying a raise had been approved for me and I'd see it on my next paycheck. $10k :toot:

That and training was still on the table. I guess my :yotj: has been pushed back a while. At least until I'm able to get some certs out of this place.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Cough cough gag sputter cough cough half vomit cough sputter gag cough

Hey man you sound pretty rough, you ok?

Ahh I think I have that flu that's going around.

Oh man that's rough, hey listen, what's easier for you, should I send you home, or just fire you right now for being an inconsiderate psychopath?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What's your sick time policy?

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Oh man that's rough, hey listen, what's easier for you, should I send you home, or just fire you right now for being an inconsiderate psychopath?

God I wish this was how it worked. Someone was sick as hell my first day here and kept saying "I really have nothing to do today, I should work from home". If only it was appropriate to punch people on your first day of work...

E
Hahahaha this is beautiful, someone physically here at work today has shingles

Pudgygiant fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 17, 2014

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

What's your sick time policy?

Important question. I hate everyone involved in this farce, but when I'm not standing directly in front of someone hacking up a lung, I tend to put more of the blame on the people who make policies that effectively forbid people from taking sick days when they loving need to do it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Important question. I hate everyone involved in this farce, but when I'm not standing directly in front of someone hacking up a lung, I tend to put more of the blame on the people who make policies that effectively forbid people from taking sick days when they loving need to do it.

My first job required you burn your regular PTO for sick time. I infected that entire loving office more than once I'm sure.

Meanwhile my current job I've got two weeks of sick + vacation. It's so nice to know I'm not going to be penalized if I'm sick.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

lol

quote:

You are receiving this email because you may have - at some point - registered as a user on ArsTechnica.com. Our site was recently hacked.

Log files suggest that this intruder had the opportunity to copy the user database. This database contains no payment information on Ars subscribers, but it does contain user e-mail addresses cryptographically-protected passwords.

Out of an excess of caution, we strongly encourage all Ars readers — especially any who have reused their Ars passwords on other, more sensitive sites — to change their passwords today.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Pudgygiant posted:

God I wish this was how it worked. Someone was sick as hell my first day here and kept saying "I really have nothing to do today, I should work from home". If only it was appropriate to punch people on your first day of work...

E

Way back when I worked as a delivery driver for a lumber company I had the unfortunate opportunity to enjoy getting shingles. I'd never had it before and have absolutely no clue who I could have gotten them from, but I duly went and saw my doctor and he put me on some drugs and ordered me to stay at home for a week. I got a call on Day Two from the Asst Manager asking me if I was coming in that day "because we really need you here, not laying around loving off in bed". I asked him if he was serious and he told me to get my rear end into work.

I walk in the door and the store manager sees me and asks me what the hell I was doing at the store, so I tell him the Asst Manager ordered me in. He immediately screams for the Asst Manager and then starts calling him a bunch of names, starting off with "idiot". The Asst Manager didn't think it was a big deal "because he'll be in the trucks all day". The delivery manager face palms and I'm ordered to get the hell out of there and not come back until my doctor clears me. A week later my doctor clears me to go back to work.

A month later I got pink eye. Christ, that was fun trying to explain to the Asst Manager.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Pudgygiant posted:

E

That was me about 3 years ago - work stress triggered a shingles flare-up. Got the go-ahead from the doctor to go into work - "Just don't touch anybody".

:edit: It was covered by my shirt, which apparently makes it less contagious.

:edit again: Yep -

quote:

A person can not get shingles from a person that has it. However, the virus that causes chickenpox and shingles can be spread from a person with active shingles to a person who has never had chickenpox or been vaccinated through direct contact with the rash. The person exposed would develop chickenpox, not shingles.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 18, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

I was in the (shared with 3 other people) office today doing some work while enjoying music (young americans - bowie) on my headphones. I suddenly became aware of a "i'm being watched" feeling. Sure enough, all 3 office mates were staring at me.

I...

I was singing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That is why I stick to instrumental black metal in the office. That and my rage.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
After a few hours at work, I'm sometimes tempted to just pack up my laptop and go do my work somewhere with fewer coughing and hacking people spreading virulent diseases. Like, say, the TB ward at the nearest hospital, maybe. I can identify half my coworkers and pinpoint their exact location on our floor at any time just by the sound of their coughs and sneezes.

I'm not too worried, though; I mean, there are probably all sorts of minor non-contagious totally-not-Ebola diseases that start with flu-like symptoms and then progress to spraying blood all over the wall behind the bathroom urinals, right? Right? :ohdear:

Edit: What's annoying about our office is that everyone there can work from home if they need to, but some people still insist on coming in while horribly sick.

dennyk fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 18, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Rhymenoserous posted:

My first job required you burn your regular PTO for sick time. I infected that entire loving office more than once I'm sure.

Meanwhile my current job I've got two weeks of sick + vacation. It's so nice to know I'm not going to be penalized if I'm sick.

I just have one big pool for PTO, so if I can physically get to the office I am not burning vacation to stay home.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

Where I'm at it's all PTO. But my total bank of PTO is still larger than any other place I've worked for sick time and vacation time combined, so I'm not really complaining. Plus I have the option of working from home. My home office is more or less a mirror of my office at work. Just plug in my laptop connect to the VPN and go. So unless I'm actually feverish and delirious I just work from home.

The funny thing is, my VPN connection gives me a faster connection to some of my systems than working in the office.

EDIT: Awkward writing makes for awkward reading. Fixed.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
You, me and everyone else. Mercifully working from home is an option so we all gang up on anyone vaguely under the weather and harass them until they get up and go home. Health maintenance through workplace peer pressure...

Edit: er, you meaning inspector_666

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pudgygiant posted:

I've worked a couple companies that went from kinda small to kinda big relatively quick, and it turns out that for the party you're always going to get a better one at the kinda small place. There's a lot of reasons for this, but one of the main ones is I was helping the accountant prepare the books for potential investors at one place and there was this giant embarrassing 'employee retention/entertainment budget' line item that people apparently freaked out over. And >then< the independent auditor ruled that since the party benefits were transferred to the employees that they should be taxed as salary/wages (somehow? I left around that time). So it can apparently be a book keeping nightmare to account for.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Scaramouche posted:

And >then< the independent auditor ruled that since the party benefits were transferred to the employees that they should be taxed as salary/wages (somehow? I left around that time). So it can apparently be a book keeping nightmare to account for.

Bullshit. Unless every employee is being gifted exactly the same amounts of exactly the same things, accounting for the individual consumption of random party favors would incur more of a cost to the employer to account for them (as in paying an accountant to spend time tracking and itemizing each individual thing) than the revenue the government would get from the taxes on those party favors. Therefore they are not taxable (they are called "de minimis" fringe benefits, apparently).

Edit: Okay, some states don't follow that rule (fed does).

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 18, 2014

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Che Delilas posted:

Bullshit. Unless every employee is being gifted exactly the same amounts of exactly the same things, accounting for the individual consumption of random party favors would incur more of a cost to the employer to account for them (as in paying an accountant to spend time tracking and itemizing each individual thing) than the revenue the government would get from the taxes on those party favors. Therefore they are not taxable (they are called "de minimis" fringe benefits, apparently).

Edit: Okay, some states don't follow that rule (fed does).

It kinda was; we were flown to Mexico for 5 days and stayed at an all-expenses resort. This was in Canada as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

spog posted:

I swear you get better support on a $1.99 app developed by some guy in his bedroom than you do with something that has a $10,000+ pa support contract.

This.

I have lost count of the number of vendor 's who have given awful support and I have to figure out how to fix their software for them, this is a huge issue in the medical software world. These guys have like 1 thing they need to know how can they not manage it.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I sound like I have the death, I was sick with an upper respiratory virus about two weeks ago. My chest is still pissed. It's me, I'm the one coughing up a spare lung.

I could theoretically work from home but the VPN is slower than morse code and literally looks like loading 90s website photos when I'm attempting to run queries or type or anything, really.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Scaramouche posted:

It kinda was; we were flown to Mexico for 5 days and stayed at an all-expenses resort. This was in Canada as well.

Ah well, that makes a lot more sense then. Except for Canada.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

meanieface posted:

I sound like I have the death, I was sick with an upper respiratory virus about two weeks ago. My chest is still pissed. It's me, I'm the one coughing up a spare lung.

I could theoretically work from home but the VPN is slower than morse code and literally looks like loading 90s website photos when I'm attempting to run queries or type or anything, really.
"Guess you're off with pay til you're better then." - Developed countries. (Of which I do not claim the US to be one.)

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Pudgygiant posted:

There are a ton of places that are on some best places to work list, they're run by a lot of different companies, and they're just surveys.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

We're still limping along without a network admin. The consultant finally delivered his report on how lovely everything is (we paid him to find problems and present solutions to those problems, so it wasn't unexpected) a couple weeks ago. Many of the issues were systemic "That's just how the district administration has done things for 20 years", some were "We have no idea why your network admins set it up this way, we have little documentation, and seriously this is something they could have fixed in a day at some point over the last five years", and the rest were half-assed infrastructure upgrades & patches. It took almost 4 months for this report to happen, and we couldn't even start any significant projects (like the badly needed rewiring & wireless upgrade at the high school), and some testing has already begun.

But, poo poo's finally supposed to start happening. Unfilled job descriptions are being merged & rewritten and are supposed to be posted by the end of the month. Had some vendors come in to walk through the buildings for bidding on a wireless upgrade (new cabling, professional installation, warranties, an AP in every other classroom). The boss had me go out to measure some cable lengths to portables today so she could determine if new cabling or even new IDFs were needed. Thankfully, I learned that the Fluke tester could determine length without the terminator; it would've taken me a lot longer if I had to use that.

So many cables with no labels. My report had things like "IDF to ? (upper far right patch): 92m" or "MDF to ?: 92m". Bad cables the tester thought might be shorted but are apparently still functional. A cable reported as a 'split pair' and 168m long, but still working. Cables inexplicably right around the 100m limit for a <40m run. Lots of weird terminations the tester didn't seem to like much.
Most of our elementary schools were literally wired by parents and teachers. Complete rewires are in the plans, but the consultant is really emphasizing a focus on wireless, which worries me. The way I've been hearing it, we're talking 2-3 ports per room: WAP, IP phone, and media station for the projector. I can see this kinda working if we really go 1:1, but the ratio hasn't been determined yet, and if it's low, then teachers are going to want desktops in their classrooms for incidental use, and the thought of desktops with wireless make me feel weird. Having fewer ports per room than we have now (even if they're 15+ years old with yellowed, brittle, 10mbit rated dual-port AMP modules) seems like a loss of functionality (especially since he wants to eliminate the use of small switches for classroom minilabs).

I just hope the district takes the report to heart and things actually change. It took us 20 years to get into this hole, but maybe we can crawl out in 3-5.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Inspector_666 posted:

I just have one big pool for PTO, so if I can physically get to the office I am not burning vacation to stay home.

I would too if an employer pulled that stunt.

Stupidly, we have unlimited sick days because UK and still people are doing this all week having had half the company get infected in the poo poo sack they sent us to for the xmas lunch.

So I've taken the opposite route. I'm not ill but I'm staying home and THEY can have the loving office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Pyroclastic posted:

I just hope the district takes the report to heart and things actually change. It took us 20 years to get into this hole, but maybe we can crawl out in 3-5.

Well the football team needs new jock straps too, it's quite a budgetary quandary. Tell me, janitor, how cheaply we can do this and what can we skip?