Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Daily Forecast posted:

6.7 GB

jesus christ

Times like these I'm glad there's a Rest Mode on PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I gamefly'd Unity and finally got around to giving it a go, after spending literally all night downloading the patch.

Holy balls, what a terrible opening. Yeah, throw me into a combat scenario without even telling me what parry or dodge or attack or anything even is. That's a brilliant choice, Ubisoft.

And just to be clear, my options for voice work are terrible english accents (with young Arno sounding like Oliver Twist) or decent french voicework that doesn't match up to the lip syncing, turning every earnest conversation into a bad 70s kung fu movie? Oh, and the subtitles are super tiny on the screen. For gently caress's sake.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Even after my earlier smarmpost I got Ubisofted. The game runs fine with the notable exception of seeming to "reset" the physics every couple seconds, resulting in a frame stutter and objects (coats, hair, etc.) spasming around before coming to rest again. Pretty weird!

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Prop Wash posted:

Even after my earlier smarmpost I got Ubisofted. The game runs fine with the notable exception of seeming to "reset" the physics every couple seconds, resulting in a frame stutter and objects (coats, hair, etc.) spasming around before coming to rest again. Pretty weird!

Happens to me too, and it's especially noticeable with Bellec's hair. I can't take any cutscene he's in seriously because his hair keeps jumping around and it's really weird.

I wonder what causes that to happen. Do you have an AMD card?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Nah, nvidia 660 gtx ti. slightly below the min requirement of 680 but at the same time the game runs fine otherwise and I was just running black flag, wolfenstein and shadow of Mordor maxed out. I'm almost certain it's a bug of some kind.

I can't quite remember which game it was but years back I remember playing a game with the exact same stuttering problem. It does make the hair look pretty silly, but it also ignores all inputs during the stutter, which makes the game fairly unplayable.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Daily Forecast posted:

Happens to me too, and it's especially noticeable with Bellec's hair. I can't take any cutscene he's in seriously because his hair keeps jumping around and it's really weird.

I wonder what causes that to happen. Do you have an AMD card?
I've seen that happen on PS4 too. It's pretty distracting.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.
Been playing this and just got a new geforce 970. poo poo is gorgeous. I am not someone who usually gets weird about game platforms but I could never play this on the PS4 now. That church with the stained glass windows? I must have puttered around it for ten minutes. Ubisoft did a real disservice to the Assassins Creed fanbase by depriving them of a solid experience in this beautiful game.

Game play is pretty much samesies but whatever. I don't get tired of stabbing dudes.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Aphrodite posted:

Yes. It's the same size as the entire game.

(Which if you don't own an Xbox One is an encouraging sign that it really does patch a whole lot, I guess?)
It's a display bug. The patch is still 6.7 GB.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is the Initiates website just broken?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Ragingsheep posted:

In a word: Yes.

Some people seem to have it working OK now. Mine never has. I put a support ticket in about it but they've seemed clueless on how to fix it.

VVVVVV- What's wrong with mine is that it only partially synced. It says I'm level 5 with 0 XP and that it has no game data from any AC title, despite the fact that I've beaten every title that's Uplay enabled from AC2- Rogue. I was like level 12 on the old Initiates site.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 17, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ragingsheep posted:

What's wrong with it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Palpek posted:

It's a display bug. The patch is still 6.7 GB.

It's not a display bug. It's an incompetent Microsoft bug. It does download a 40gb patch, but it's not supposed to.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Prop Wash posted:

but it also ignores all inputs during the stutter, which makes the game fairly unplayable.

That doesn't happen to me, so I dunno. Also, I think I spoke to soon because after I installed the new Magic AMD Drivers I went back to a cutscene with Bellec in it and his hair doesn't do that anymore.

Also goddamn Ubisoft when do I get my free game

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

macnbc posted:

In a word: Yes.

Some people seem to have it working OK now. Mine never has. I put a support ticket in about it but they've seemed clueless on how to fix it.

VVVVVV- What's wrong with mine is that it only partially synced. It says I'm level 5 with 0 XP and that it has no game data from any AC title, despite the fact that I've beaten every title that's Uplay enabled from AC2- Rogue. I was like level 12 on the old Initiates site.

I am also in this boat, but am at level 0, despite having maxed all previous games but for 3.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Oh hey, Initiates has finally started working for me. Before, the page loaded but all the "widgets" in the middle of the page weren't appearing and none of the links worked properly.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Prop Wash posted:

So we're at the stage in an AC game's life where it basically works and is pretty fun but isn't mind-blowingly good? Sounds like it's about time to pick it up then!

Also if you bought it on day one then what were you thinking anyway

No, no, no, no, no, no. Don't take advice from goons on videogames, ever. Don't spend 30$ on a 40gb malware.

This looks like a game that wasn't playtested once before releasing it to the public. I swear this AC is one of the weirdest things I've seen in gaming in the last 10 years or so. We're 3 patches in, I still see people occasionally sinking into the ground and the horrifying stuttering makes the game unplayable. It's not like you can ignore it and enjoy the experience either, because every time the game micro-freezes physics are reset somehow and weird stuff happens. This is also a game that runs like poo poo on any machine but manages to look not nearly as good as you think it would because there was a massive downgrade from the first videos/screenshots to release.

Oh and let's not even mention the new parkour system/awkward animations. Let's not.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Counterpoint. It runs fine on my 2500k / 970 and I really enjoyed it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

frozenpeas posted:

Counterpoint. It runs fine on my 2500k / 970 and I really enjoyed it.

See my issue with your post is that I have a 2500k and 970 too. I don't mind the expected fps loss due to a cpu that's slow-ish for Unity, but holy poo poo do you play with your eyes closed or something?

People enjoyed Deus Ex: Invisible War too when it came out. I always wonder if it's self-denial or the ability to ignore even the most hilarious performance issues. Regardless, it really would be clever not to suggest buying this game in its current state.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Kawabata posted:

See my issue with your post is that I have a 2500k and 970 too. I don't mind the expected fps loss due to a cpu that's slow-ish for Unity, but holy poo poo do you play with your eyes closed or something?

People enjoyed Deus Ex: Invisible War too when it came out. I always wonder if it's self-denial or the ability to ignore even the most hilarious performance issues. Regardless, it really would be clever not to suggest buying this game in its current state.

I'm not going to do that because as I, and other people have said, it's played fine on my computer since patch 2 (granted, it might not on others) and I enjoy it (this is not disputable).

Set max rendered frames to 1 using nvidia helper. Don't use soft shadows cause they wreck your frame rate, smaa, environment detail at very high. Everything else max.

There are a couple of areas where it chugs, like the home base, but it's smooth generally. I've not measured the fps or anything but I'd guess around 45. Definitely over 30. Playable. To my eyes it's the best looking game I've ever seen.

I love how smooth and responsive the new parkour system feels. I like not being able to fight 10,000 guards at once. I LOVE the assassination missions. I enjoy co-op, I like the side missions and the murder mysteries. I'm never going to touch the phone poo poo and I don't care about getting 100%. I just like running round Paris.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

If you were stupid enough to buy the Season Pass for Unity the free game page is up. In keeping with Ubisoft's standards it doesn't actually work.

https://acu.ubi.com/

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

frozenpeas posted:

I love how smooth and responsive the new parkour system feels. I like not being able to fight 10,000 guards at once. I LOVE the assassination missions. I enjoy co-op, I like the side missions and the murder mysteries. I'm never going to touch the phone poo poo and I don't care about getting 100%. I just like running round Paris.

I just love it when people come in this thread and are all "NOOOOOO STOP ENJOYING THINGS" as if they're making some kind of point.

The game works. It's fine. It's actually really fun! The only bugbear that's still 'correct' to complain about is the companion app stuff that nobody wanted.

quote:

Sorry, we're experiencing some problems at the moment. Please try again later.
Heh. Probably server overload?

I'll just try again after work.

edit: the site just worked for me, just had to try logging in a few times. Claimed my Far Cry 4, currently downloading on Steam.

The service agreement is loving hilarious.

quote:

In consideration of being permitted to participate to the offer on http://acu.ubi.com to download a free Ubisoft video game (the “Campaign”), you agree, for yourself, your heirs and next of kin, to the following terms and conditions:

You hereby irrevocably and unconditionally RELEASE, WAIVE, AND FOREVER DISCHARGE AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE Ubisoft Entertainment S.A., and each of its past, present and future divisions,

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 18, 2014

mrfishstick
Oct 15, 2005

TheCoon posted:

If you were stupid enough to buy the Season Pass for Unity the free game page is up. In keeping with Ubisoft's standards it doesn't actually work.

https://acu.ubi.com/

It worked just now for me; check the box agreeing not to sue them and you can select a free game.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mrfishstick posted:

It worked just now for me; check the box agreeing not to sue them and you can select a free game.

How is it delivered? A code, or what?

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Aphrodite posted:

How is it delivered? A code, or what?

Got an email sent to me with a code that (apparently) works on either uPlay or Steam. Can't speak for the console versions, I dunno. I went ahead and activated mine on Steam and it worked fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First person to take the console plunge please let me know.

If that's a code too I can give away Far Cry to my brother.

Edit: PS4.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 18, 2014

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Did you guys get the full range of games offered? I'm only able to select Watch Dogs, Black Flag or some Rayman game.

e: Seems to be a UK/EU thing, fired up a US VPN and got Far Cry.

TheCoon fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 18, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Did you already have the other ones? I was able to select them all. I didn't look for Black Flag because I had that already, so I don't remember if it was there or not.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I'm only halfway through Rogue, but it is starting to get glitchy. The front half of the game was really polished, but the back half is like an acid trip. People are sinking into and rising out of the cobblestone streets of New York. In fights with multiple guards, all characters briefly freeze in awkward stances and the camera pans in an awkward loop like a Fight Club sex montage. Mountains in the distance stand proud and pink like little girls playing princess dress-up. Ubisoft once again shows its true colors, one of which appears to be pink.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

Daily Forecast posted:

I just love it when people come in this thread and are all "NOOOOOO STOP ENJOYING THINGS" as if they're making some kind of point.

The game works. It's fine. It's actually really fun! The only bugbear that's still 'correct' to complain about is the companion app stuff that nobody wanted.

You don't like people saying "noo stop enjoying this" but then proceed to dictate what's "correct" to complain about?

You can and should enjoy AC Unity but if you suggest buying a game whose developer just issued a public apology about how horrible the state of the game is, people are going to to get annoyed. I'm one of those people.

The game is fun when it works and yes, it is graphically very appealing, but an overwhelming majority of Pc players still suffer from the stuttering physics. Even Ubi admitted it's a big issue and they want to (hopefully) fix it for good in this 1.4 behemoth 6+ gb patch.

The companion app stuff is definitely NOT the only bugbear that's "correct" to complain about.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I'm sorry I made you angry, Kawabata. I never meant to hurt you.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

frozenpeas posted:

I'm sorry I made you angry, Kawabata. I never meant to hurt you.

It's ok I'll recover if they fix their poo poo in 1.4.

But thanks for the kind words.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Not really announced anywhere but apparently once 1.4 hits, Club Competitions are going to start.

As a consequence of the delay, they also stripped away a bunch the competition requirement on a bunch of Legendary level equipment so you can just buy it outright.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hamsalad posted:

Still says 45/50 to me, looks like nothing changed.

Well I sure as hell can't fix it now. My game catapulted me back to pre-Assassin missions, so I can't access the club stuff right now. :psyduck:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Daily Forecast posted:

The service agreement is loving hilarious.

Ahahahaa, you can do a lot of things to limit liability in a contract, this is not one of them. "We are immune to everything, ever".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Ahahahaa, you can do a lot of things to limit liability in a contract, this is not one of them. "We are immune to everything, ever".

Yeah, I'd love to see them try to defend this in court. It'd be hilarious.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Steam is apparently patching, though it's only 2.9GB.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
AC Initiates is amazing. The past few weeks I've been unable to log in, or I've been logging into a blank profile. Today my profile is finally populating, at least partially. Somehow I'm getting XP rewards for 100% sync while getting incomplete rewards for the story progress.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm not seeing any difference in performance after the update, game's still running at 50-60 fps with ultra environment and textures, FXAA, HBAO+ and high shadows. (i7-4770K @ 3.5GHz, overclocked GTX 780, 16GB RAM)

edit: oh hey great my Initiates progress was reset, back to level 5 we go :eng99:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 18, 2014

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Doc Morbid posted:

edit: oh hey great my Initiates progress was reset, back to level 5 we go :eng99:

Happened to me too. The patch seemed to do literally nothing else.

You'd think I'd learn to stop being optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I'm only halfway through Rogue, but it is starting to get glitchy. The front half of the game was really polished, but the back half is like an acid trip. People are sinking into and rising out of the cobblestone streets of New York. In fights with multiple guards, all characters briefly freeze in awkward stances and the camera pans in an awkward loop like a Fight Club sex montage. Mountains in the distance stand proud and pink like little girls playing princess dress-up. Ubisoft once again shows its true colors, one of which appears to be pink.
Yeah, I encounter glitches regularly, not as extreme though and only from time to time. Pretty much like in Black Flag.

• Locked thread