Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Actually, I think both Morrowind Code Patch and the Graphic Herbalism mod used in MGSO are both out of date, but you can fix it pretty easily by downloading both and just pasting over the existing files. For MCP, you'll have to run the patch again.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/19510/ (2.1, 2.0 in MGSO, big thing here is the Hang On Loading Fix)

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43140/ (1.3, 1.2 in MGSO, adds Kwama Eggs to harvest feature)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Was having regular and frequent crashes being outside in morrowind after a computer update, so I figured I would reinstall morrowind and MGSO. Now I just crash when its done loading. Welp.

:ironicat:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

MGSO is poo poo and you really shouldn't use it

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

kazr posted:

MGSO is poo poo and you really shouldn't use it

Counterpoint: MGSO is pretty cool and you should use it

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Hm, yes. Quite the debate.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Ok, so I'm preparing to do a clean install. While steams doing it download nonsense, help me sort of my mod install order. I'm thinking first do TR, then MGSO? I keep installing TR after everything else and I think that's whats screwing me up.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

Ok, so I'm preparing to do a clean install. While steams doing it download nonsense, help me sort of my mod install order. I'm thinking first do TR, then MGSO? I keep installing TR after everything else and I think that's whats screwing me up.

are you registering tr_data.bsa in your morrowind.ini?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I am.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Argh, seems tes3cmd over-cleaned UL, so the placeholder topic for the Tea Mod's book script got removed. Not an issue if you use the Tea Mod, but if you don't, you get an annoying error message. I've fixed it and updated UL to 3.31 and uploaded it here: http://download.fliggerty.com/download-35-884 You can dl the light version if you grabbed the full mod earlier.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Alright goons, this will probably be pretty vague, but hoping I could get some advice.

Basically, every time I remember how great the TES games were, I go on a modding binge, find all these GREAT NEEDED mods that change everything from adding more books to the clipping on armors, spend a solid day modding the game, then proceed to forget about it/stop caring about it until months later. And by that point I can't remember what I added, so I'm terrified I'm missing "something" important. And if I do end up playing through the game to check out the stuff I installed, half of it's nowhere near the quality of the stuff Bethesda added.

This time I've decided I want to avoid that, and am doing a super slim install for Morrowind, max 15 mods total, maybe 20 if some are small. I also want to focus only on mods that either fix major QoL issues with the base game ( limited mark/recall, better journal, etc ), or add content that supports/expands the current ingame content, rather then adding in new stuff. Basically if something makes the guilds/mainquest/whatever more interesting, or adds good content to it, I'll probably be ok with it.

So I have some questions!

- I remember the journal being godawful. I didn't mind following the directions NPCs gave me, but I hated how if I talked to enough people between the quest giver and the goal, their directions could be 10-20 pages back, hidden under a few extra menus. Is there a good journal mod that makes the journal a bit more helpful?

- I remember seeing someone say that if you don't go Altmer, it's super difficult to go Mage in Morrowind, since Magicka generally caps out between 100-200ish, with some bigger spells costing 400+ Magicka. Are there mods that even this out without destroying the ingame balance?

- I will be going Telvanni. I remember the Stronghold being a horrible little pit in the middle of nowhere. Checking the first post brings up something called Uviriths Legacy, and something called Building up Uviriths Legacy? Apparently they make it much more fleshed out/add a neat little city around the area, so it's no longer a shithole? How well implemented are these, do they actually feel like they fit the gameworld/area/Telvanni progression, or are they a bit over the top compared to everything else.

- On that note, I see something called Rise of House Telvanni, that apparently takes place post Tribunal? Does that actually feel like it expands the ingame Telvanni content, or is it more over the top stuff. Same for the Twin Lamps stuff, does it flesh out the Twin Lamps in game well, or is it a bit out of place?

Are there any other mods goons think might fit the criteria I have in place for myself? I'm open to suggestions. A friend of mine keeps telling me I should download some big NPC project thing, because it adds "like a hundred new quests!", which I doubt would actually fit what I want. But apparently it also adds fleshed out NPCs? So I don't know, and I'm already thinking of just downloading more stuff then I'd need, which is why I came to goons for help.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Everybody always talks about the Attronach sign being the best mage birth sign, but it seems like not being able to regen mana would be a gigantic stopping point for mages. Is there some other bit of info I'm not seeing? Do people who play with this sign just find mana potions to be super cheap or is there something else they do to regen mana? Because there's no way you can rely on the happenstance of spell absorbtion to regen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GreatGreen posted:

Everybody always talks about the Attronach sign being the best mage birth sign, but it seems like not being able to regen mana would be a gigantic stopping point for mages. Is there some other bit of info I'm not seeing? Do people who play with this sign just find mana potions to be super cheap or is there something else they do to regen mana? Because there's no way you can rely on the happenstance of spell absorbtion to regen.

I've never used it on a mage personally. But it's a fantastic sign to use on any class not dependant on magic, because stunted regen doesn't mean poo poo, and you get 50% spell absorption. Throw that poo poo on a two handed warrior and become a mage-killer.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Alright goons, this will probably be pretty vague, but hoping I could get some advice.

Basically, every time I remember how great the TES games were, I go on a modding binge, find all these GREAT NEEDED mods that change everything from adding more books to the clipping on armors, spend a solid day modding the game, then proceed to forget about it/stop caring about it until months later. And by that point I can't remember what I added, so I'm terrified I'm missing "something" important. And if I do end up playing through the game to check out the stuff I installed, half of it's nowhere near the quality of the stuff Bethesda added.

This time I've decided I want to avoid that, and am doing a super slim install for Morrowind, max 15 mods total, maybe 20 if some are small. I also want to focus only on mods that either fix major QoL issues with the base game ( limited mark/recall, better journal, etc ), or add content that supports/expands the current ingame content, rather then adding in new stuff. Basically if something makes the guilds/mainquest/whatever more interesting, or adds good content to it, I'll probably be ok with it.

So I have some questions!

- I remember the journal being godawful. I didn't mind following the directions NPCs gave me, but I hated how if I talked to enough people between the quest giver and the goal, their directions could be 10-20 pages back, hidden under a few extra menus. Is there a good journal mod that makes the journal a bit more helpful?

- I remember seeing someone say that if you don't go Altmer, it's super difficult to go Mage in Morrowind, since Magicka generally caps out between 100-200ish, with some bigger spells costing 400+ Magicka. Are there mods that even this out without destroying the ingame balance?

- I will be going Telvanni. I remember the Stronghold being a horrible little pit in the middle of nowhere. Checking the first post brings up something called Uviriths Legacy, and something called Building up Uviriths Legacy? Apparently they make it much more fleshed out/add a neat little city around the area, so it's no longer a shithole? How well implemented are these, do they actually feel like they fit the gameworld/area/Telvanni progression, or are they a bit over the top compared to everything else.

- On that note, I see something called Rise of House Telvanni, that apparently takes place post Tribunal? Does that actually feel like it expands the ingame Telvanni content, or is it more over the top stuff. Same for the Twin Lamps stuff, does it flesh out the Twin Lamps in game well, or is it a bit out of place?

Are there any other mods goons think might fit the criteria I have in place for myself? I'm open to suggestions. A friend of mine keeps telling me I should download some big NPC project thing, because it adds "like a hundred new quests!", which I doubt would actually fit what I want. But apparently it also adds fleshed out NPCs? So I don't know, and I'm already thinking of just downloading more stuff then I'd need, which is why I came to goons for help.

1) you're stuck with the journal. you pretty much have to sort by quest or topic

2) galsiahs character development makes being a mage much easier for any race since your magicka regenerates, otherwise you have to pick atronach and drink potions / summon an ancestral ghost to absorb its magic attacks. some people think it favors mages too much, you can up the difficulty or tweak its settings if you think it's too unbalanced

3) uvirith's legacy is really good, it made me laugh several times and it fits in well with the rest of the world

4) rise of house telvanni sucks because you're stuck running errands for the authors stupid mary sue

personally I also like tamriel rebuilt because they nail the feel of the game without just rehashing the existing world. for qol stuff passive wildlife and improved teleportation for infinite mark/recall are also good.

avoid morrowind comes alive, it's buggy and causes lots of ctds. less generic npcs is an extremely mixed bag with writing ranging from pretty good to incredibly creepy

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

GreatGreen posted:

Alchemy is unbalanced. Abuse it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

GreatGreen posted:

It grants you 50% spell absorption - which means you have a 50% chance to block an incoming spell and gain its magicka cost in mana for yourself. Apart from getting mana from incoming spells you can also use it to absorb magicka from shrine blessings and from spells cast by your own summons (which can be forced to attack you). If you choose conjuration as a main attribute you even start with summon ancestor ghost, which you can use to recharge.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Atronach is awesome for mages. The trick is to take conjuration as a major skill to get the free ancestor ghost spell, get it enchanted onto a belt or something, and then summon it and whack it a couple times because its first attack is always a spell. That, and shrines become mana regen stops because even beneficial spells have a 50% chance reflection rate (if they're not cast by you).

Rookersh posted:

If you go atronach, you don't have to go Altmer. Breton is the second most popular choice for pure mages, but I played an atronach Dunmer battle-mage way back and it rocked.

I'm probably a bit biased, because I made Uvirith's Legacy, but I can also see why someone wouldn't want to use it. Basically, if you're after a simple improvement to Tel Uvirith, like a mod that just adds some more storage space and spiffs it up a bit, maybe UL isn't for you. But if you want to really lord it over the land, teleporation options, have numerous servants who perform different services for you, a massive library/treasury/lab/dungeon ect. then Uvirith's Legacy is all that and more (and also I stick really really stupid easter eggs all over the place and some of my quests are a bit silly, but Bethesda does that themselves anyway so, you know).

As for Building up Uvirith's Legacy, that one adds a whole town outside Tel Uvirith. It looks awesome, but the NPCs are pretty generic and there's not much else to do once you build everything. It's also not too "lore friendly" if you go for every upgrade because you have Imperial guilds living happily in Telvanni territory along with smugglers and vampires hanging out underground and not causing any trouble. But if you're selective and don't care about quests/dialogue/decent interior to homes you'll probably rarely visit, it gives you a kick-rear end loving town!

Rise of House Telvanni is one of the better quest mods out there (though, those are loving rare). It basically expands the Telvanni questline past becoming Archmagister and has massive political upheavals where you can basically undermine the Empire and destroy the Mages Guild and the Twin Lamps (or not--it's totally up to you). It actually gives you choices about all of this and every choice has pretty well thought-out consequences. It's pretty loving fun, but it is OP.

LGNPC varies in quality depending on who's written the mod (despite their attempts to standardize it). I've heard great things about Pax Redoran (if you're Redoran), but LGNPC Tel Uvirith is actually loving terrible. Like, you can tell Ostar just didn't get the Telvanni, didn't really like writing for them (apparently he made the mod on request for a friend), and can't seem to write female characters without being loving creepy. Also, it adds way too much useless dialogue that gets really loving annoying, like adding entries for every damned ingredient to alchemists and so on. Apparently, the whole thing is being paired down and rewritten to get rid of all that garbage, but LGNPC Tel Uvirith hasn't been updated to be non-poo poo yet. It's currently on my not-recommended list.

I have another mod you might be interested in: Quest Tweaks and Alternatives. It gives you more options for completing some of Morrowind's original quests, without removing any of the existing options. It's currently mage focused, as those are the quests I'm most familiar with. It'll be a while before I update it to include more stuff about the Thieves and Fighters Guilds, Redoran/Hlaalu, and the Morag Tong, but the Telvanni/Mages Guild stuff is all done, so it fills out a mage run pretty well.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 9, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

If you go atronach, you don't have to go Altmer. Breton is the second most popular choice for pure mages, but I played an atronach Dunmer battle-mage way back and it rocked.

I have another mod you might be interested in: Quest Tweaks and Alternatives. It gives you more options for completing some of Morrowind's original quests, without removing any of the existing options. It's currently mage focused, as those are the quests I'm most familiar with. It'll be a while before I update it to include more stuff about the Thieves and Fighters Guilds, Redoran/Hlaalu, and the Morag Tong, but the Telvanni/Mages Guild stuff is all done, so it fills out a mage run pretty well.

I remember Atronach being broken ( in a good way ), I was more worried about also seeing a few spells cost 450+ Magicka to cast, while a Dunmer can theoretically only cap out around 200. Unless you can break that ingame too.

As for the rest, thanks for the writeup! Sounds like I'll be grabbing Legacy/Building Up for sure, and probably also Rise of House Telvanni. More nonsense rear end in a top hat wizards is exactly what Morrowind needs, and I'll count it as a QoL improvement. You mention you can affect the Twin Lamps, I assume that breaks the Twin Lamps guild mod? I suppose it doesn't matter much, as my character wouldn't really have much reason to be starting a slave rebellion anyway, especially since I'll be Telvanni, but I'm still curious if that's any good/if there would be any conflicts.

As for the quest tweaks, mind giving an example? I don't really remember many of the old quests to have much in the way of potential choices to begin with. I'm always worried about tweaking core stuff which is why I ask.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I remember Atronach being broken ( in a good way ), I was more worried about also seeing a few spells cost 450+ Magicka to cast, while a Dunmer can theoretically only cap out around 200. Unless you can break that ingame too.

As for the rest, thanks for the writeup! Sounds like I'll be grabbing Legacy/Building Up for sure, and probably also Rise of House Telvanni. More nonsense rear end in a top hat wizards is exactly what Morrowind needs, and I'll count it as a QoL improvement. You mention you can affect the Twin Lamps, I assume that breaks the Twin Lamps guild mod? I suppose it doesn't matter much, as my character wouldn't really have much reason to be starting a slave rebellion anyway, especially since I'll be Telvanni, but I'm still curious if that's any good/if there would be any conflicts.

As for the quest tweaks, mind giving an example? I don't really remember many of the old quests to have much in the way of potential choices to begin with. I'm always worried about tweaking core stuff which is why I ask.

I'm not sure how well RoHT integrates with the Twin Lamps mods, since I haven't used the latter as a Telvanni. I tend to go for Fligg's Slave Mod instead.

I have the entire list of quest changes documented in the Quest Tweaks mod readme, but here's an example of the larger mage quest changes:

quote:

House Telvanni:

- Reordered final quests so recruiting Eddie is the last chore you do before becoming Master/Magister.
- Becoming Master/Magister now requires starting the third stage of your stronghold.
- Added some dialogue to Eddie so you can interview him a bit more in Balmora.
- Eddie has more dialogue you can ask him before deciding to make him your Mouth.
- Aryon has more to say about Gothren which you can ask him while thinking about/becoming Magister.
- Black Jinx quest now has more options for Morag Tong players if they haven't become Grandmaster yet.
- Ring of Equity now has non-kill/steal option. You can give Eddie two quality Chameleon potions instead. This may actually be more the difficult option, since the potions are few and scattered.
- Reduced Ring of Equity timer to three days because Eddie is only sneaking into Tel Naga. It's RIGHT THERE.

Mages Guild: These changes mainly focus on making the guild and their faction the Telvanni more like an actual rivalry, especially if the player joins both factions, and focuses on guild members who actively hate the Telvanni.

- Recruit or Kill Llarar Bereloth has more quest options if you're Telvanni.
- Telvanni Spy quest can play out a bit differently if you're Telvanni:
- You can't get this quest if you're too high-ranking in the Telvanni by the time you talk to Ranis Athrys. Instead, she'll attack you.
- If you got the quest and didn't finish it before becoming Archmagister, it plays out a bit differently, and assumes you're out to find the spy to help discredit Ranis.
- If you're Telvanni, people will be unhelpful, and perhaps even suspicious. Trebonius remains relatively oblivious.
- If you're Archmagister, most people won't talk to you about this, and Trebonius assumes you're threatening him.
- Tiram Gadar will give you a reward for turning in Ranis if you're Telvanni. Trebonius will do it if you're not Telvanni. The reward is an enchanted daedric dagger, much like the one she would give you, but instead of having soultrap it has an absorb health effect.
- Made sure Tiram Gadar's behavior integrates with RoHT.
- Trebonius' dialogue "House Telvanni" plays out a lot differently if you're Telvanni depending on your status in both factions.
- Altered the Kill All Telvanni Councilors quest if you're Telvanni. You still have to option to take the quest, but threatening him will make him challenge you to a duel and bump you into taking his place as Arch-Mage. Only available if you've become Archmagister of the Telvanni.
- Added alternate dialogue to Ranis Athrys if the player is Telvanni. She'll give you a harder time than anyone else, but won't totally oppose you -- she wants to convert "your kind" to the guild after all.
- Ranis Athrys won't talk to you after you become Archmagister of the Telvanni, and she'll attack you if you become both Archmagister and Arch-Mage.
- Joining the Mages Guild after becoming Archmagister of the Telvanni will give you the starting rank of Evoker. Ranis won't let you join or give you duties. Trebonius will assume your joking if you ask him to join as Archmagister, but he won't refuse you quests afterwards. Ajira's dialogue is slightly different if you're a high-ranking Telvanni, and she won't ask you to fetch a bowl (though you can do the rest), the stolen reports only requires you to leave the cell and bowl is just an excuse to make you do so.
- You have to kill Trebonius to become Arch-Mage if you're Telvanni.
- Ajira's quest gives slightly better rewards. The last quest even gives you rare potions instead of fire/frost/lightening shield, and a journeyman's mortar and pestle.
- You can now talk Sirilonwe into giving you Chimarvamidium, and buy it from her later if your disposition is really high.
- Edwinna's dialogue makes a check to see if you haven't stolen Chimarvamidium, yet somehow acquired a copy through random loot tables or mods.

It's mostly about tweaking stuff that's the Unofficial Patch team has decided is beyond "patching" so they'll never touch it, but things that have been on people's nice-to-have lists for a long time. Re-ordering some of the Telvanni stuff is the most drastic my changes get. I'm all about keeping Morrowind's original flavor.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 9, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stuporstar posted:

I'm not sure how well RoHT integrates with the Twin Lamps mods, since I haven't used the latter as a Telvanni. I tend to go for Fligg's Slave Mod instead.

I have the entire list of quest changes documented in the Quest Tweaks mod readme, but here's an example of the larger mage quest changes:

It's mostly about tweaking stuff that's the Unofficial Patch team has decided is beyond "patching" so they'll never touch it, but things that have been on people's nice-to-have lists for a long time. Re-ordering some of the Telvanni stuff is the most drastic my changes get. I'm all about keeping Morrowind's original flavor.

Sounds good to me! I've always found it odd how both sides hated each other, but never seemed to mind you were the Archmage of both guilds.

I assume no real conflicts with RoHT/UL?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I assume no real conflicts with RoHT/UL?

None at all. For the longest time QTA was a personal mod, so I've done an entire run with it loaded along with all the other Telvanni mods and made sure nothing conflicted.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I'm kind of curious about these 450+ mp spells you're wanting to cast. What crazy poo poo are you planning to get up to?

Orv
May 4, 2011

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I'm kind of curious about these 450+ mp spells you're wanting to cast. What crazy poo poo are you planning to get up to?

Killing all of Balmora at once. Range on AoE spells gets silly expensive.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Might be worthwhile to mention that BUUL is a compatibility version for Legacy, and original is Grave. What I recall, it adds expanded personal floor with a couple optionals like throne and alchemy corner.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

I've never used it on a mage personally. But it's a fantastic sign to use on any class not dependant on magic, because stunted regen doesn't mean poo poo, and you get 50% spell absorption. Throw that poo poo on a two handed warrior and become a mage-killer.
Yeah, it's a good spellsword birthsign. Anything that can make use of magic without relying on it.

Although, unless you're using Fair Magicka Regen it's sort of a moot point, since you'll be using lots of potions in that case regardless of your birthsign.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Atronach starts off weak but once you abuse it with fortify effects and alchemy it is the strongest period.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So uh, downloaded the few mods I play to use, and started up my game.

All of them work fine except "Passive Healthy Creatures" which apparently just doesn't want to bother working? According to the game it can't find the Master File for Morrowind, which makes sense as it's apparently looking for MORROWIN.ESM, while my Steam version is just called Morrowind.esm.

If there a way I can change the master it's looking for so it'll actually work with the Steam version?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Rookersh posted:

So uh, downloaded the few mods I play to use, and started up my game.

All of them work fine except "Passive Healthy Creatures" which apparently just doesn't want to bother working? According to the game it can't find the Master File for Morrowind, which makes sense as it's apparently looking for MORROWIN.ESM, while my Steam version is just called Morrowind.esm.

If there a way I can change the master it's looking for so it'll actually work with the Steam version?

I think you can change a mods master dependencies with Wrye Mash.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
And one last question, not really mod related, but there isn't another Morrowind thread!

I remembered back in the day that basic Mage was MISERABLE. It took forever to level up the Mage skills, and none of the higher Destruction level spells really did much for you anyway. It was entirely about either breaking the game through Alchemy, or using the buffs/side stuff to augment your melee, rather then being an outright spellcaster.

I was talking to a friend of mine about it today, and he mentioned playing as an Enchanter. Basically he maxxed out Enchanting quickly, and then just made every piece of gear he owned heavily enchanted. Whenever he got into combat, he'd use all of his rings/his gloves/his belt/whatever else had offensive spells on it at the same time, causing this cascade of extremely high levels spells to hit the target all at once. On top of that, he also had really high Chameleon/Sanctuary, which made him invisible/invincible to most of the enemies in the game.

Just how feasible is something like this? Or do I not even need to do that, as the actual spells in game are better then I remember for combat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rookersh posted:

Just how feasible is something like this?

Completely, but it does require you to 'break' the game as it were.

By the point at which you're capable of creating a Ring of gently caress Everything To Death In 20yds you have the ability to break pretty much every other aspect of the game as well, so it's all personal preference.

Orv fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 10, 2014

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Rookersh posted:

I remembered back in the day that basic Mage was MISERABLE. It took forever to level up the Mage skills, and none of the higher Destruction level spells really did much for you anyway. It was entirely about either breaking the game through Alchemy, or using the buffs/side stuff to augment your melee, rather then being an outright spellcaster.

The Morrowind Code Patch really makes a difference with its quick-casting option, even letting you cast with a weapon drawn. They also added a cool-down to enchanted items to balance it out. It makes casting spells far more viable and fun than it used to be. Also, leveling it is not hard if you head straight to the spellmaker and make yourself some dirt-cheap single point spells to practice with.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
God damnit. The link to Hadlock's Morrowind_mods.zip from the OP is broken. Can anyone post a copy of it? I have done various googlings, and can't find it backed up anywhere else online here.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Just how feasible is something like this?

Enchantment is, even when trying not to break the game wide open, incredibly viable and powerful. It has always been an 'endgame' for character development, regardless of play build, as far as what I end up doing. Playing an enchanter is just skipping a few chapters. Though typically high level enchant is simply to reduce the cost of spell charges/increase recharge of items rather than enchanting them yourself unless you're abusing alchemy, I usually pay an enchanter because for that as its always 100% successful. If I'm trying to avoid Creeper/Mudcrab Merchant try playing a treasure hunter type who pawns off artifacts to the museum to fund constructing your own.

An enchanted Daedric Tower Shield(or staff) with cast on target nuke spells on it is a magicka machine gun (or wave cannon) compared to casting spells directly. You'll always kill dudes just fine with a good enough two handed weapon but enchant spellcasting is the highest damage possible in the game for non-immune enemies. I prefer convenience constant enchants rather than gamebreaking ones (like 100% chameleon)-- fatigue and health regen, 1pt slowfall and jump/acrobatics, speed and strength. A ring of constant invisibility to travel without being attacked by cliffracers constantly. And rather than nukes, I like to enchant status spells that are otherwise unlikely to be used, such as 100% reflect on self, command spells, group fear, silence, fatigue, paralysis or stat-debuffs rather than 100 meters 100 damage all elements/damage health/absorb health on everything in the game. Dropping spirit bombs on Balmora is fun for a laugh but it gets old fast. But using magic to avoid killing things is just a new way of playing the game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm starting a new run as an altmer Mage using the btb character mod so I am not weak to everything. Is being a pure spell caster a fools errand and am I better off re rolling as something with better physical stats and skills and just getting enchanting to as high as possible. I am more interested in gently caress off level of power without doing exploits like compound alchemy than I am as role playing as a Mage. I like spells but if I can just make 50 rings of x I will be fine with that. Also getting those artifact fists from the cave near gnaar mok at level one was both hilarious and kinda difficult.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Atronach is annoying at first but just abuse alchemy till you can get some restore 5000 magika per second for like a week and your good to go. Just takes a bit of time to make a few hundred of them and then never worry about that blue bar ever again.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
I wish I could find a mod that made magicka grow like HP does. I mean, it makes no sense to have two of your little colored bars grow per level, and the other one not to.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I made a red guard melee guy with enchanting and conjuration as major skills and everything else combat stuff. It is owning pretty hard so far. Went and got the fists of randagulf from that cave and also the lord's mail all at level 1. I need to get my alteration skill up to be able to use an open lock spell and get a daedric katana but I'm a bit short on cash at the moment. My longterm worry is having enough magicka to cast summon golden saint spells to farm for souls for enchanting. Since you cannot enchant that spell I'm going to need to get my magicka up somehow. A 60 second version of the spell is 165 magicka but I think I could probably kill one even at level 3 or 4 that I am now in about 15-20 seconds so a custom 20 second version of the spell would be possible if I really grind out my intelligence I think. I think later on when I play again do the auriel bow sell the daedric chest and get my alteration up for the katana and raise conjuration for the intelligence and ability to cast the summon.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Redguards are the best in all TES games, period. They make the best battlemages/spellswords. Redguard supremacy.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
So I've run into the Corky teleportation bug, and this plugin purports to fix it, but also apparently breaks the Umbra quest, and the "fix" for that that some dude uploaded relies on a master I don't have (I think it's an older version of the Morrowind Patch Project). Manually resetting the master causes a couple of plugin script load errors that scare me. Am I just going to have to console Corky away and not do that particular quest?

raminasi fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 17, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

If I become a vampire will I be able to overcome people not talking to me if I get my personality / speechcraft high enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

If I become a vampire will I be able to overcome people not talking to me if I get my personality / speechcraft high enough?

Yes, you could also make a charm spell with a magnitude of 100 or as high as you can reliably cast for one or two seconds and immediately talk to them as soon as the spell hits them. Make sure to buy the spells you need before becoming a vampire though.