Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

It is a pretty nice Tactical Squad box.

Wrong on Blood Angels?

EDIT: Honestly the best would still be grabbing 2 units of deepstriking marines if you still wanted to run mostly jumpers. Furious Charge doesn't make scouts any better, and they always had 4+ armor.
Luckily my friends seem to like the new book despite the loss of assault troops.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

koreban posted:

Legit warhams question: Does anyone know how the FW extra armour for the Chimera is supposed to go on? I can't figure it out and even though it's horrible quality, malformed and full of super thin miscasts, I paid the $17 for the goddamn thing and I'm going to put it on this chimera.

For the record, the back of this extra armour panel just doesn't have any obvious fit against the track panel on the chimera. I'm either going to have to scrape off a shitload of tiny plastic rivets and sand the resin down to get a good smooth section to glue, or hope that a hundred tiny contact points will hold up.

First thing I would recommend is that if it is indeed miscast that way - call them or write to them with pictures and they will replace it. While you are on the phone with them - ask them for advice on it.

I put the extra armor on the rhinos just by looking at the pictures online.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Please consider a donation to the Blood Angels players here who have fallen on hard times, for only a few normal Tactical Space Marines or a Scout squad, you can get them back to rolling dice and living a full life as a Warham, after you send your donation in you'll get a fuzzy photo shop manipulated dick pic so you'll know that the Warham received your donation. Your donation will stop the tears of sadness.

Jesus loving Christ. gently caress you.

Quoting this so you can't erase it when you realize what a humongous rear end in a top hat you are.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ignite Memories posted:

Jesus loving Christ. gently caress you.

Quoting this so you can't erase it when you realize what a humongous rear end in a top hat you are.

I think you need to have a nice cup of tea and a bit of a lie down, away from the internet.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah it's cool to make fun of somebody having financial trouble in an attempt to shame unrelated people into buying more models they don't want without complaining about it. That's a cool thing.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Please consider a donation to the Blood Angels players here who have fallen on hard times, for only a few normal Tactical Space Marines or a Scout squad, you can get them back to rolling dice and living a full life as a Warham, after you send your donation in you'll get a fuzzy photo shop manipulated dick pic so you'll know that the Warham received your donation. Your donation will stop the tears of sadness.
Hollismason, you're a twat. I say this with all love and kindness, but you're a loving tawt. I preferred it when you just babbled on about Eldar and couldn't shut up about Daemons. Remember, Hollismason? Daemon Factories, how great they were? How Heralds of Slaanesh were the best thing since sliced peppers?

Go back to being the guy who is wrong about tactics and lists, man. This is like, either the saddest effort at trolling or a legit response, and neither is flattering.

In regards to BA, I watched a buddy play the book today, and then played him as well. It's a bummer that people either have to buy models or screw with the Force Org to play, but at least the book seems solid and my friend really enjoyed it. Seth was a goddamn monster, just carving his way through Tyranids and Orks. gently caress that guy, he'll kill anything but a Carnifex or a tooled up Chapter Master - if of course, he gets there. Scouts with Furious Charge were actually pretty potent on the charge - 3 S5 attacks isn't stellar, but it isn't completely awful, either. Unless you're facing WS3 or 7, you're essentially getting Marines with a slightly worse save for a discount. Not too bad, though I question how it would handle harder lists. His Furioso did well, Death Company were pretty potent, and the Baal continued to tear things up.

He did have this brief moment of sorrow when I asked what his DC's Weapon Skill was, though.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
this thread is going to give birth to the chaos god of impotent rage

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

Give?

Does thou forget our lord, he that has Broken Loose?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
It makes a lot more sense when you remember that Hollismason primarily plays on Vassel, where everything is free.

I hope GW has a Blood Angels apology week with some free formations once they have some time to process this release. I have around 30 assault marines and 10 vanguard vets still on sprue and I was totally going to make them a BA army. I probably still will, and I'll use them in the formation Hollismason is going on about because assault marines are the first thing I ever saw in 40k and I always wanted to field them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I also hereby bind the vaunted forums poster Noctis Horrendae to this thread.

also i'm looking for 5 assault marines sans jump packs to convert into Astral Claws Legion Retaliators.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Leo Showers posted:

You're mad!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leo Showers posted:

No! You've gone too far! :stonk:

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Leo Showers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-sALU_hveA

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Somebody called me into the thread earlier. Here's my perspective.

Can my genestealers take feeder tendrils, implant attacks, or enhanced carapaces?
Can my warriors take spinefists, fleshborers, enhanced carapaces, or leaping?
Can my carnifexes use 2 guns as was standard for a decade? Can they take rending claws, deathspitters, chitin, carapace, or enhanced senses?
Can I take flesh hooks on any of my non-character units? When will I be allowed to use the grenade rules again?
What about the Parasite of Mortex? Can I take that?
Can I take Ymgarl Stealers?

Is there a formation or DLC pack that lets me use my now illegal 4000 points of army?

Kirby's probably giggling as he reads this.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Leo Showers posted:

also i'm looking for 5 assault marines sans jump packs to convert into Astral Claws Legion Retaliators.

Leo Showers, in fealty to the Goon-Emperor, our undying lord, and by the grace of the Comedy Goldmine, in the name of the Trad Games subforum and the Goon Hive Mind, I call thee diabolis, and in the testimony of thy crimes, I submit this carta. May Internet justice account in all balance. Lowtax protects. :commissar:

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

Leo Showers posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0APF3SO9tqE&t=208s

edit: beaten

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey Mods, can the thread go unbound until the new year? I think we want to forge some narratives and vent our impotent rage.

Leo Showers posted:

The threadnought will be reborn

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Noooo. Whilst this is the most entertained I have been for a while I can't face the guy with the cooking with dog videos coming back. I hate that dick.

I had to line up all my jump pack marines and death company past night and tell them that we had done all we can but some of them have to go.

Then I changed my mind... I can't do that to them just before Christmas.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Von Humboldt posted:

Give?

Does thou forget our lord, he that has Broken Loose?

he gets poo poo on a lot but he's usually right.

This uh... thing that's going on though. Christ.

drgnvale posted:

It makes a lot more sense when you remember that Hollismason primarily plays on Vassal, where everything is free.

Wait, what?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

A reminder that there is a much cooler 40K thread that has gone Renegade and now dwells in the Eye of GBS.

it's infested with scrunts though, so ymmv

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I painted a Helbrute for my Black Legion army. He's almost done--95% or so, but I figured I'd go ahead and post him just to break up the monotony of this back-and-forth.

Behold his rad loving abs:

Also a slightly different angle

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

TheChirurgeon posted:

he gets poo poo on a lot but he's usually right.

As a surviving veteran Nid player and friend of Broken Loose, I will say that almost everything he brings up is correct. If I had built my army more strongly toward the things that got cut from the game I too would likely have dropped Nids and considering changes to other games. This is the type of major change that can really put a damper on ones enthusiasm for a product. I just happen to not take as much offense to the horrid poo poo that GW occasionally does it itself and its customer base. It's not that I don't recognize it for what it is, it's that I still find the game fun and will continue playing until I do not find it fun. Afterall, I've pretty much bought about all I need at this point and can just coast on my mountain of plastic and pewter until 9th Edition crushes my spirit and I eBay it all and get a return of essentially what I paid for it.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I painted a Helbrute for my Black Legion army. He's almost done--95% or so, but I figured I'd go ahead and post him just to break up the monotony of this back-and-forth.

This dude owns. I love the DV Hellbrute model. For a snap-together statis pose it's so dynamic.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 17, 2014

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Why is the conventional wisdom that one should only use a Chaos Land Raider to transport chaos termies, and not Khorne Bezerkers? Is it just that deep striking terminators is too risky?

I've been underwhelmed by the performance of my terminator Chaos Lord to date - I've been struggling to get him into combat early enough, and the only two times he's seen close combat, the first he got a bad case of the Mind Control scarabs, the second he did OK, but it was against IG, so that's not saying much. I'm wondering whether he should turn from the path of Khorne to dear father Nurgle, and hop on a bike and accompany my Nurgle Chaos Spawn (who are officially the bestest thing ever in my army, even better than 'zerkers).

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

TheChirurgeon posted:

Also a slightly different angle

Double post, but this is beautiful. If you don't mind, what did you use for flesh, horns and gold metalwork? Also, is there a technique people use for painting eyes? I find it tricky even with a fine detail brush. I've painted up a Helbrute recently, but he looks a bit too pasty for a Khorne one.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Re: :emo: Angels

That is a really neat effect to paint on a power sword.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Milotic posted:

Why is the conventional wisdom that one should only use a Chaos Land Raider to transport chaos termies, and not Khorne Bezerkers? Is it just that deep striking terminators is too risky?

I've been underwhelmed by the performance of my terminator Chaos Lord to date - I've been struggling to get him into combat early enough, and the only two times he's seen close combat, the first he got a bad case of the Mind Control scarabs, the second he did OK, but it was against IG, so that's not saying much. I'm wondering whether he should turn from the path of Khorne to dear father Nurgle, and hop on a bike and accompany my Nurgle Chaos Spawn (who are officially the bestest thing ever in my army, even better than 'zerkers).

This is what I do and it's really effective. Even more so if you use the Crimson Slaughter book and give him the relic that gives him a 2+ Sv. and It Will Not Die.

Edit:
Finished the first of the Deathstorm Warriors. They're all kitted out with Bonesword, Lashwhip, and Scything Talons for full assault. Going to drop them into the front line using a Tyrannocyst with a Tyranid Prime attached for fun and death.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 17, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

The problem with deep striking your terminators is that they can't assault when they touch down and they're too fragile to touch down next to a good assault target. The best way to get them to their target and assaulting is in a Land Raider. If you aren't kitting them out for assaults and just want to do a 5-man combi-melta team, then yeah, deep striking them is a good move and probably the best method CSM has for dealing with Knights, alongside the 2-melta bike squad and the 2-melta raptor squad.

You can use a LR to transport Berserkers but I think terminators get the nod because the LR is the only transport they have in the codex.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

PierreTheMime posted:

This is what I do and it's really effective. Even more so if you use the Crimson Slaughter book and give him the relic that gives him a 2+ Sv. and It Will Not Die.

Thanks. Fluff wise, are Crimson Slaughter Chaos Undivided then? I thought they were fairly Khorney. I try to be vaguely thematically consistent. I might treat myself to some supplements for my birthday. Not the Black Legion one, since they just leave me cold. They're the mary sue of bad boys.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Milotic posted:

Thanks. Fluff wise, are Crimson Slaughter Chaos Undivided then? I thought they were fairly Khorney. I try to be vaguely thematically consistent. I might treat myself to some supplements for my birthday. Not the Black Legion one, since they just leave me cold. They're the mary sue of bad boys.

They're generally heavy into Khorne, but they will follow anyone who makes the voices stop. No Marks are disallowed in the codex and almost every unit gets the Fear USR. As far as most players are concerned, it's pretty much CSM++.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Milotic posted:

Double post, but this is beautiful. If you don't mind, what did you use for flesh, horns and gold metalwork? Also, is there a technique people use for painting eyes? I find it tricky even with a fine detail brush. I've painted up a Helbrute recently, but he looks a bit too pasty for a Khorne one.

Thanks!

Starting step: Prime Black

Flesh
Bugman's Glow (2 layers, 1 drybrushed, 1 to get better coverage. Leave the recesses)
Agrax Earthshade
Bugman's Glow (2 layers, picking out the higher points)
Bugman's Glow + Polished Bone for the highlights, like the areas around the exposed pipe and the muscle lines. I use a 10/0 brush for those.

Gold Metalwork
Base layer of Balthasar Gold
Layer of Gehenna Gold
Agrax Earthshade, 2-3 layers around rivets and in large areas
Edge with Gehenna Gold, pick out Rivets

In this case I may go back with a mix of Gehenna Gold and Dryad Bark on some of the areas where the wash didn't work because the metal pieces were too thin.

Horns
Base layer of Dryad Bark
Paint with Polished Bone -- I paint in vertical lines, leaving some dryad bark visible near the base
Agrax Earthshade - I work up from the base of the horns, again painting in vertical lines
Touch up with Polished Bone, painting in vertical lines

The Face
Same process as skin, pick out teeth with polished bone, eyes with white, tongue with Emperor's Children Pink.

Stop using the GW Fine Detail Brush and buy some real brushes. If your brushes don't have numbering on them, i.e. "3/0" or "10/0" you should get new brushes. Games Workshop's brushes are loving dogshit and it makes me sad to see people get results they are not happy with because they're using brushes that are only suitable for drybrushing.

The large GW drybrushes are OK though.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Edit:
Finished the first of the Deathstorm Warriors. They're all kitted out with Bonesword, Lashwhip, and Scything Talons for full assault. Going to drop them into the front line using a Tyrannocyst with a Tyranid Prime attached for fun and death.

I love the effect on that bone sword!

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Whoa, seems I unleashed a bit of a bitch fest here with my post.

There is a genuine problem with these supplements - a vanishingly small number of people buy them for the fluff. If you want fluff you buy a black library novel. Some of it is cool and nice to read, but genuinely not worth the amount of money they're charging. To pad a supplement with fluff and claim it's worth it is basically bollocks, people don't buy them for that.

To point to a supplement as a solution is farcical, like a paid day 1 patch for a slightly janky video game. You should just be able to buy the (very expensive!) codex and be done with it, not have to chop and change and acquire WD and campaign supplements.

£1-2 for a page or two of rules for a formation is about right. Takes about 30 mins to think up and make tbh.

Anyway I'm howling into the void talking to Hollismason clearly. Cataphract, the argument about balancing jump troops does hold some water but tbh they aren't the be all end all, and just placing objectives in terrain isn't a bad way to slow them down if you're forcing multiple dangerous checks a game.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Just to be clear, Hollismason's argument is that we should all be fine with paying out ~£152 ($239 US) on rules so that we can use an army which cost £25 for the rules last time round. Because dataslates and formations are that great. He also thinks we should then be okay spending another £97 ($152) on new model kits to make up for the 'or whatever' gaps those rules still leave.

I can't see why anyone would think that he is a wrong.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 17, 2014

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

drgnvale posted:

It makes a lot more sense when you remember that Hollismason primarily plays on Vassel, where everything is free.

Lord Twisted posted:

To point to a supplement as a solution is farcical, like a paid day 1 patch for a slightly janky video game. You should just be able to buy the (very expensive!) codex and be done with it, not have to chop and change and acquire WD and campaign supplements.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just to be clear, Hollismason's argument is that we should all be fine with paying out ~£152 ($239 US) on rules alone so that we can use our armies. Because dataslates and formations are great. He also thinks we should then be okay spending more on new model kits to make up for the 'or whatever' gaps those rules still leave.

Thanks for summing up the last few pages. Wow.

Our BA player is going through all this right now, though. He's the least involved of any of us in the fluff/narrative and his reactions to the codex as he watched a review video yesterday are about a week late to the internet's. Telling him 'well you CAN buy this and this and this to use the small number of models you have' isn't very much fun. He might get a White Dwarf with the formations in it but more than likely he'll find a PDF of the books to use.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Milotic posted:

A lot of people do run Berzerkers in Land Raiders, but the problem is actually more one of combat utility than anything else. Berzerkers are great against softer targets and hordes, but if you run into something like a Monstrous Creature, they will struggle to do any damage to it; Chaos Terminators, even if not great against that sort of thing, are at least functional there.

The best way to get a Lord into combat is basically to saddle him up on a Steed of Chaos (Khorne, Slaanesh, and Tzentch are all functional for this purpose, although Khorne is generally accepted as being the best) and moving him forward with a big block of expendable dudes. Buying ablative wounds at 4pts each is a pretty good way to protect a guy, even if it's not infallible. A bike is certainly not a horrible way of going about things, either, but it's really only used by Nurgle/Undivided guys because they don't get good Steeds. Cultists and Chaos Spawn are the preferred escort units, although basic CSM can sometimes be used as well.

As far as Mindshackle goes- yes, it's a bitch, but that's just how Necrons are. Remember that you have to challenge with someone but you get to pick with who, and also that a challenge can't happen unless both characters are within 2" of a model that is in combat; if your Lord is too far back or his Overlord is, no challenge will happen.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

You know, if you want an army that's never invalided you could always play SoB.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The FoC minimum requirement in Sisters models costs almost as much as the Blood Angels complete rules. That's hilariously sad.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
Blood Angels are bad and dumb anyway.

So the answer is clearly to buy my Chaos Marines!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688261

(Lots more that's not included in this picture)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Yup.

Which begs the question: why do we even listen to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'd just like to say that everything I said earlier is being proven true right here.

• Locked thread