Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jehde posted:

Nope, I kinda assumed that anything after I'm Alan Partridge wouldn't be as good for whatever reason, but I think I will give this one a chance. I think I need a bit of a break from Alan Partridge though.

Definitely worth a look. The episodes are only around 10 mins long, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Oh yeah Mid Morning Matters is great. As is the Fosters Vic and Bob stuff

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lemon posted:

Forget everything else on your list and watch 15 Storeys High now.
Errrrrolllllll has turned up as the current Khan / Emperor of the Mongol Empire in Netflix's Marco Polo and I'm having trouble taking him seriously.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Just wanna pop back in to say 15 Storeys High is amazing, thank you for the recommendation, thread.

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Alan chat

Rolled Cabbage posted:

It's decent... I liked Saxondale though so YMMV

Same. I got into it at the time because my best mate's step dad is pretty much Tommy Saxondale and that was comedy in itself. I rewatched it more recently and there was so much I had missed the first time. It is a very unusual bit of telly imo. I wonder why it is that I feel like I keep seeing Saxondale in the more recent Alan (MMM and Alpha Papa)

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Jehde posted:

any recommendations for other notable radio comedy series?

There are literally too many to mention, but I can throw out a few suggestions - The Goon Show, Hancock's Half Hour, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue, Nebulous , Saturday Night Fry, any of Ivor Cutler's shows(A Stuggy Pren, King Cutler, etc) , Poet's Tree, Rawlinson End...to name a few.

On The Hour's been mentioned already, but the rest of Chris Morris's radio work also bears investigating, The Chris Morris Music Show is incredible for what he got away with in a live radio format, but my favourite is definitely Blue Jam - an attempt to produce "ambient comedy" which was pretty much unique at the time. It was basically a mix of eerie down tempo music with incredibly unsettling monologues and sketches fading in and out, and was seemingly designed to gently caress with the heads of insomniacs and people coming home in the early hours, who would have no idea what the hell was coming out of their radios.

Helpfully, the BBC have recently put out a three hour retrospective of his radio work, and it's all good stuff. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04sp5pq

Also, If anyone's hankering for more Partridge material, I highly recommend looking up the audio book of I, Partridge read by Steve Coogan. The book itself is funny enough to stand on it's own, but Coogan's performance adds so much to it. It's a brilliantly savage pastiche of every terrible showbiz memoir ever published.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again pops up sometimes on whatever they're calling the old radio channel this week. It's a really interesting halfway house where the generation who grew up on the Goon Show are trying to figure out how to be inspired by that sort of thing without just making their own off-brand version of it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does The Fall have its own thread? Jesus christ this show rules.

Re: Partridge: Yeah, get the I, Partridge audiobook, especially if you've watched everything else. It goes up to the end of Mid Morning Matters and covers everything (everything) else from Alan's perspective, so things like the meeting with Tony Hayers at the BBC restaurant and the cheese incident come off as him being some kind of hero. It's hilarious.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2014

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
Black Mirror Christmas episode is on this coming Tuesday from 2100!

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Only went back a few pages, but does Bar Rescue ever come up in this thread?

Last night's episode was a really cool makeover with the Irish Pub. Looked legitimately like a bar I'd love to hang out in with friends.

I can really do without the constant lip-service and product placement for such "Premium Spirits" as Smirnoff.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Shadow posted:

Only went back a few pages, but does Bar Rescue ever come up in this thread?

Last night's episode was a really cool makeover with the Irish Pub. Looked legitimately like a bar I'd love to hang out in with friends.

I can really do without the constant lip-service and product placement for such "Premium Spirits" as Smirnoff.

Its a US show, so I dont think so

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
WTF? I may have clicked on the wrong thread, but I was CERTAIN I clicked on the Bar Rescue one. haha, sorry, carry on! :)

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm going to watch an epi of Bar Rescue next time I see it flicking through channels.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Stare-Out posted:

Does The Fall have its own thread? Jesus christ this show rules.

Can't find a thread for it but yeah, The Fall is brilliant. Creepy, atmospheric and seems pretty realistic. Also, I don't know how Gillian Anderson continues to get hotter as time goes on.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Bogmonster posted:

Can't find a thread for it but yeah, The Fall is brilliant. Creepy, atmospheric and seems pretty realistic. Also, I don't know how Gillian Anderson continues to get hotter as time goes on.

Been loving the Fall since the very beginning. Think we've got just one episode left now. Occurs to me that Scully and ol' redditbeard haven't yet met face-to-face. Promises to be a great endgame if they pull it off. Also, I hope da chief gets to sit in the background during the terse interview, looking - as he always does - like a perpetually worried garden gnome.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Paperhouse posted:

“It’s in negotiations, I think that’s fair to say,” Jack told the Guardian. “It’s definitely something we are keen to do and [the BBC] feel like they’re keen to do but to say any more may be too difficult.”

so it's almost certainly getting another series as it's been quite a hit. I agree that it probably isn't a good thing for there to be another series though

I feel like I've wasted my time watching this series if it doesn't properly end tonight.

Crankit posted:

I just watched the last The Game 2014, is there going to be another series? I liked it a lot, but since it hasn't been shown on UK TV I'll avoid posting any spoilers and request that no one else does.

They filmed some of this round the back of my flat. It was really cool watching them film a rain scene with their massive lights and BIG RAIN MACHINE.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
Black Mirror tonight, can't wait :D

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
One thing I'm glad about with the fall is that I didn't start watching until they were a few episodes into this season, I don't think I could bare to have to wait so long for a conclusion to look it's coming.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

I've seen my fair share of TV shows with horrible stuff that I could watch with relative ease but The Fall has moments that are really uncomfortable to sit through. It's utterly brilliant but man does it not pull its punches with some stuff.

Lugaloco fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 16, 2014

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

Ta for the reminder Señor Le Fuckface.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Andre Le Fuckface posted:

This!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The last Black Mirror was shown in Feb 2013. Where is my life disappearing to?

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Adam Buxtons Christmas thing is also on at 9:30 on Sky Arts. Hopefully he'll be making fun of the internet with silly voices.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
Black Mirror was enjoyable; by no means the best, but still good! I guessed that it was a simulation and the American guy was there to get information but not that the kid wasn't his.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Cunning Plan posted:

Black Mirror was enjoyable; by no means the best, but still good! I guessed that it was a simulation and the American guy was there to get information but not that the kid wasn't his.

That punishment they meted out to the cookie was probably the most terrible and disgusting thing you could do to someone.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I thought it was the best one yet. The kid reveal was loving amazing

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was expecting cookie girl's story to go on longer, like the cookie started loving up things on purpose and stuff.

Surprised at how hard I found some of that to watch, particularly the last third. Getting married and having a kid hasn't dulled Charlie Brooker's edge.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I found it hard to look away tbh

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Oh and was it just me, or when he was flicking over the tv to the news was there a glimpse of the talent show from one of the previous episodes?

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rondette posted:

I was expecting cookie girl's story to go on longer, like the cookie started loving up things on purpose and stuff.

That alone could have sustained a 90 minute episode, I felt. What a horrible, horrible plot thread being trapped in the cookie-egg thing was. If you don't do as asked, you get tortured to craziness in solitary confinement. If you disobey, or gently caress things up on purpose, again, solitary confinement.

Or worse, you get tossed in a drawer and replaced with a newer model, like people do with mobile phones. Left alone with four blank walls until your battery eventually ran down or whatever. Oh, it gave me the proper horrors, that did.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

The Big Taff Man posted:

Oh and was it just me, or when he was flicking over the tv to the news was there a glimpse of the talent show from one of the previous episodes?

Didn't spot that, but one of the watching people near the start was called "I am Waldo"...

Edit: I think Barry shitpeas was one of the others...

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Holy poo poo, Black Mirror plus The Missing made for a dark night of TV.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Wasn't the song the girl sang for karaoke the same song from 15 million merits? Or one of the other Mirrors?

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

That alone could have sustained a 90 minute episode, I felt. What a horrible, horrible plot thread being trapped in the cookie-egg thing was. If you don't do as asked, you get tortured to craziness in solitary confinement. If you disobey, or gently caress things up on purpose, again, solitary confinement.

Or worse, you get tossed in a drawer and replaced with a newer model, like people do with mobile phones. Left alone with four blank walls until your battery eventually ran down or whatever. Oh, it gave me the proper horrors, that did.

:stare: Well thanks for making that a million times worse....like 600,000 years of 'Wish it could be Christmas everyday' was bad enough.
Guess it was full of callbacks, even the little brain widget thingies were featured in another episode.

I wonder if his lovely old Rover was the equivalent of what a classic car would be in their universe.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Thanks Charlie, I'm now imagining a copy of myself being put through that situation and it's awful and mommy please give me a cuddle :stonk:

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

Rarity posted:

Thanks Charlie, I'm now imagining a copy of myself being put through that situation and it's awful and mommy please give me a cuddle :stonk:

It's not a real person though its just a bit of anthropomorphised code. It's akin to empathizing with Mario dying over and over imo.

madey fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 17, 2014

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Quote is not edit

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

madey posted:

It's not a real person though its just a bit of anthropomorphised code. It's akin to empathizing with Mario dying over and over imo.

Wow, it's like you watched the whole episode and completely missed the point

madey
Sep 17, 2007

Rarity posted:

Wow, it's like you watched the whole episode and completely missed the point

What did I miss? I get how the central premise was that technology allows us to be more callous and do bad things to each while easily bypassing our conscience. But the Rafe in the hut was literally a simulation and not a human at all. I thought Jon Hamm had the worse fate by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

madey posted:

What did I miss? I get how the central premise was that technology allows us to be more callous and do bad things to each while easily bypassing our conscience. But the Rafe in the hut was literally a simulation and not a human at all. I thought Jon Hamm had the worse fate by far.
Human or not, it had sentience and consciousness which most would agree qualifies it for certain considerations you wouldn't give a simple AI. Sorry to be blunt but if you can't see the difference between torturing an AI and one of these cookies, I think you missed the point as Rarity said.

I too think that this cookie system could've easily had it's own feature length episode, and hope that we see one in the future.

Also there's a whole thread on this magnificent show