Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

Marxism-Leninism is a heritage that is claimed by Trotsky, Stalin, and Mao.

It's not. Trotskyists consider themselves both Marxist and Leninist, but not 'Marxist-Leninist' since that was the official Stalinist term for Stalinism.

Trotsky himself never used the term 'Marxism-Leninism' to describe what he considered "proper" Leninist thought, he used the term 'Bolshevik-Leninism' during his opposition time.

Kyrie eleison posted:

You just reveal your personal preference with this claim.

Is it historical accuracy and not whitewashing Leninism?

Kyrie eleison posted:

There are good reason to doubt Stalin's fidelity to Lenin, considering he immediately purged all of the Old Bolsheviks after his death. Maybe Trotsky had a point.

Lenin's ideas failed in his own time, so I don't know how anyone would be able to stay true to them.

Why would you as a Catholic want to lend credence to the idea that Stalinism was somehow an unfair corruption of Leninism anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Technogeek posted:

Why did people think it was a good idea to build a religion around a carpenter who got killed by a piece of wood?

To be fair there were also some nails involved.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

itsnice2bnice posted:

It's not. Trotskyists consider themselves both Marxist and Leninist, but not 'Marxist-Leninist' since that was the official Stalinist term for Stalinism.

Trotsky himself never used the term 'Marxism-Leninism' to describe what he considered "proper" Leninist thought, he used the term 'Bolshevik-Leninism' during his opposition time.

You're splitting hairs, man. Trotsky certainly believed he was Marxist, and that Bolshevism was Marxist. Just because that particular phrase may not have been used by him does not mean he did not believe he was "Marxist-Leninist."

quote:

Lenin's ideas failed in his own time, so I don't know how anyone would be able to stay true to them.

Why would you as a Catholic want to lend credence to the idea that Stalinism was somehow an unfair corruption of Leninism anyway?

I am just in favor of accuracy. Was Stalin true to Lenin? I'm not convinced. (Again: citing the Purge)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
It's basically historical record that Trotsky and Stalin completely distanced themselves to each other. We may never know what the hell Trotsky actually meant, but we do know for certain that he basically considered his own version of Marxism as a distinct entity and used a separate term to refer to it, as did everyone who followed his particular philosophy.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

platedlizard posted:

To be fair there were also some nails involved.

Nails are still part of carpentry, though.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
OP you seem like a real piece of poo poo but I hope you find peace and tranquility and maybe gently caress a dude some day.

Namaste

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
What the hell happened to this thread, I read the first page and the last page and nothing makes sense.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

You're splitting hairs, man. Trotsky certainly believed he was Marxist, and that Bolshevism was Marxist.

Sure.

Kyrie eleison posted:

Just because that particular phrase may not have been used by him does not mean he did not believe he was "Marxist-Leninist."

Again, Trotskyists consider themselves both Marxist and Leninist, but not 'Marxist-Leninist'.

That particular phrase refers to the official state ideology of the USSR under Stalin.

Kyrie eleison posted:

I am just in favor of accuracy. Was Stalin true to Lenin? I'm not convinced. (Again: citing the Purge)

Lenin also conducted numerous purges in the party and he wasn't averse to having large groups of people murdered either.

Again, why would any Christian want to lend credence to the false notion that there is a distinction between Leninism and Stalinism? The only people who do so are Marxists trying to whitewash Leninism or just plain trolling.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

platedlizard posted:

What the hell happened to this thread, I read the first page and the last page and nothing makes sense.

It's only appropriate that we move from discussing religions to discussing secular religions

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So was Jesus a Marxist or what? Based on the sermon on the mount he holds a lot of beliefs that are compatible with the ideology, and many people have died needlessly in his name.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ddraig posted:

So was Jesus a Marxist or what? Based on the sermon on the mount he holds a lot of beliefs that are compatible with the ideology, and many people have died needlessly in his name.

No, you got it backwards, Marx was actually Jesus, Lenin was Paul, Stalin was Constantine, and Trotsky was Henry VIII

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

itsnice2bnice posted:

Again, Trotskyists consider themselves both Marxist and Leninist, but not 'Marxist-Leninist'.

That particular phrase refers to the official state ideology of the USSR under Stalin.

Again, that is spitting hairs. Nobody can really be buying this argument.

quote:

Lenin also conducted numerous purges in the party and he wasn't averse to having large groups of people murdered either.

Again, why would any Christian want to lend credence to the false notion that there is a distinction between Leninism and Stalinism? The only people who do so are Marxists trying to whitewash Leninism or just plain trolling.

I'm not saying Lenin was a great man. I oppose communism and view it as evil. Just for accuracy's sake, I was arguing that Stalinism and Marxism-Leninism are not strictly identical, philosophically.

I mean, Marxism-Leninism ends at Lenin. Anything after that is just claiming his tradition.

(I will note here how amusing it is that Lenin has superseded Marx in Communist theory.)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Typo posted:

No, you got it backwards, Marx was actually Jesus, Lenin was Paul, Stalin was Constantine, and Trotsky was Henry VIII

Who was Gramsci? Is he Pope Francis?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Ddraig posted:

Who was Gramsci? Is he Pope Francis?

Joseph Smith obvsly

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Kyrie eleison posted:

Wookiepedia says the book was likely written between 66–70 AD. drat. That's Gotta Hurt.

Yeah I'll admit I'm wrong about that one. My bad. But hey, at least I'll own up to my fuckups and admit I got that wrong.

quote:

The Sadducees are given plenty of trouble in the gospels, anyway. They are present at the Sanhedrin that dooms Jesus, and elsewhere. While they are the stricter priestly authority, who completely denied the resurrection, Pharisees were basically the popular authority, and were still extremely important to the Judean authority.

Yeah the Sadducees are mentioned quite a bit, yet the Pharisees are the ones who get the biggest thrashing by Jesus. It is interesting to note though that my statements still stand. Matthew and Luke are the ones written later (around 90 and 100) and those are the two that contain the "Woe to you Pharisees" speech, which is the harshest condemnation Jesus gave of them in the Gospels. Matthew does mention the Pharisees and definitely doesn't present them in a positive light, but nowhere does Jesus call them "broods of vipers" and say that they're "sons of Hell" like he does in the Gospels written after the fall of the Temple. This is a pretty good indication that these were probably influenced by Christian views of the Pharisees at the time they were written, probably due to conflicts between the groups.

Vaall
Sep 17, 2014

Kyrie eleison posted:

Just for accuracy's sake, I was arguing that Stalinism and Marxism-Leninism are not strictly identical, philosophically.

Except they basically are. Saying they're different is like saying different sects of Christianity are different when in the end they're all the same bullshit. gently caress communism.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
But the different sects of Christianity are plenty different so you're basically saying Kyrie is right.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Karl Marx has a far more compelling message than Jesus because he actually offers something that might be real.

Jesus offers nothing except vague promises after you die.

Also, during the Spanish Civil War, the catholic clergy were fascist agents, and in all honesty they should have been eliminated entirely from Republican territory for this. Clergy in general are reactionary forces and there's nothing wrong with getting rid of them.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kyrie eleison posted:

Again, that is spitting hairs. Nobody can really be buying this argument.

It's not an argument, it's a non-controversial fact about who coined a specific phrase and which groups did or didn't use it to describe themselves.

Kyrie eleison posted:

I'm not saying Lenin was a great man. I oppose communism and view it as evil. Just for accuracy's sake, I was arguing that Stalinism and Marxism-Leninism are not strictly identical, philosophically.

I mean, Marxism-Leninism ends at Lenin. Anything after that is just claiming his tradition.

(I will note here how amusing it is that Lenin has superseded Marx in Communist theory.)

'Marxism-Leninism' wasn't a thing until after Lenin was dead. Lenin never used the term 'Marxism-Leninism' or even just 'Leninism' to describe his own ideas and opinions.

Turning Lenin into a distinct ideology only happened after his death, because it was part of the power struggle and the way in which competing groups tried to gain legitimacy by profiling themselves as his true heirs.

The Stalinists used the term 'Marxism-Leninism' and the Left Opposition headed by Trotsky used the term 'Bolshevik-Leninism' to describe their "proper" interpretation of Lenin.

So Trotsky would never consider himself to be a 'Marxist-Leninist' despite being both a Marxist and a Leninist.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kyrie eleison posted:

Uh, didn't I say people are obligated to pay taxes to a just state?

Didn't I write a big opening post in that thread saying prosperity gospel was stupid and wrong?

Go gently caress yourself.

You kids should stick to communism, Christianity is over your head.

For someone who claims to be a Christian, you are not very Christ like.

Caros
May 14, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Well he doesn't ascribe to that Hippy-Dippie foolishness. The pope can be all humble and stuff but he believes that they have to aggressively spread the faith. And by aggressively I mean he thinks that the catholic church should have a military force.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

CommieGIR posted:

Christ was a glutton, winebibber and a friend of publicans and sinners. He also had a bit of a temper. At least when he flipped those tables he had the skills to repair them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Caros posted:

Well he doesn't ascribe to that Hippy-Dippie foolishness. The pope can be all humble and stuff but he believes that they have to aggressively spread the faith. And by aggressively I mean he thinks that the catholic church should have a military force.

Well fascists have certainly foundered as of late, maybe some more direct martial support from the Catholic Church can shore up Francoism and monarchism around the world and rid us of this scourge of republicanism and liberal values and social democracy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The Pope needs to give the Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith its old purpose back. It hasn't Inquired in many, many years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Twelve by Pies posted:

Yeah except the verses don't say anything about whether the state is just or not, it literally just says "Pay your taxes" and you went to great lengths to explain why it's okay to not pay your taxes because the government does bad things sometimes when the verses do not say that or even imply that in any way. So as I said, it was great to see you try and explain how it actually doesn't say what it very clearly says.

I always interpreted that bit as being precisely to illustrate the difference between divine and temporal justice. Caesar doesn't have God's blessing, but he also doesn't need it, he rules by mortal authority and so you should respect that with mortal things, like your money. Give your soul to God and your money to Caesar.

Which works nicely because it ties in with the idea that God doesn't give a poo poo for your money, there's nothing Caesar can ask of you that God would care if you gave him. So yeah, pay taxes to Nazi Germany, because it doesn't matter to God. Seems simple enough to me?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 17, 2014

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!
Can I just say I am not at all surprised to find out Kyrie is a libertarian shithead? Fits right in with the whole "there's a system that I say works 100% despite real life handing me bucket after bucket of evidence to the contrary"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Can I just say I am not at all surprised to find out Kyrie is a libertarian shithead? Fits right in with the whole "there's a system that I say works 100% despite real life handing me bucket after bucket of evidence to the contrary"

But...but Libertarianism is the only way we can find out who truly has the Lord's favour and has been raised to positions of garishly profligate wealth through their piety and faith and should be lauded in the streets and the marketplace and the churches as our Natural Social Elites :911:

And once you stamp Jesus' face on a coin of gold and call it a shekel, loving and storing it up is loving and storing up God, and the repressive private armies you hire to suppress the thieving poors are doing God's work in exchange for God's sweet sweet gold. :smaug:

And, just as the Lord in His Wisdom separated the races on the various continents, so too would Religious Covenant Communities create a beautiful patchwork quilt of human diversity with homelands for each volk's aparte ontwikkeling and voluntary easements to expel democrats, communists, homosexuals, environmentalists, integrationists, etc etc from civilized Christian society.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 17, 2014

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

He's an unrepentant gamergater, so I always figured libertarian /supply-side Jesus type. Well, either that or an MRAtheist trolling people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rkajdi posted:

He's an unrepentant gamergater, so I always figured libertarian /supply-side Jesus type. Well, either that or an MRAtheist trolling people.

We should have a big 'Religion/Libertarian Megathread' at this point.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

rkajdi posted:

Thanks for the search idea, turns out Kyrie is actually a huge fan (perhaps a warrior, one might say) of social justice and a believer in the inborn privilege of a certain notorious group of people!

Kyrie Eleison posted:

Do you all who critique MRAs all the time even know the basics of their teachings? Claiming to not know anything about "female privilege" or what rights men claim, seems like willful ignorance to me. I guess that's what happens when you focus on suppression and mockery rather than engagement.

:love:

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

VitalSigns posted:

Thanks for the search idea, turns out Kyrie is actually a huge fan (perhaps a warrior, one might say) of social justice and a believer in the inborn privilege of a certain notorious group of people!

:love:

Aren't you the people that literally swear off women as potential partners? (Lol)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

Aren't you the people that literally swear off women as potential partners? (Lol)

Er, are you talking about gay people?

Generally that doesn't really require much 'swearing off' in the sense I don't have to 'swear off' eating poo. It's not something I've ever really wanted to do.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

OwlFancier posted:

Er, are you talking about gay people?

Generally that doesn't really require much 'swearing off' in the sense I don't have to 'swear off' eating poo. It's not something I've ever really wanted to do.

So you're saying you find women repulsive. Fascinating

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

What?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Personally? Uh no, I'm like a Kinsey 5. Women are hot, dude. I just usually prefer men, but who knows whom I'll end up with.

But those gold/platinum star gays, those are the real misogynists amirite? Because of course homosexuality is a choice just like racism and not an integral part of who you are or anything.

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

You know, repulsive. Like poo. Women are poo in your example.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kyrie eleison posted:

Unlike the way you find marrying a black woman and the thought of raising halfbreed cafe au lait children repulsive, for him it's not subject to conscious choice.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kyrie eleison posted:

You know, repulsive. Like poo. Women are poo in your example.

What are you even on about?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I think he's projecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

There's a talking-point/troll among conservatives that it's actually gay men who are misogynists because they don't want to have sex with women. This dovetails with their usual rapey beliefs that sex is something someone is owed and that not wanting to have sex with someone makes you (especially if you're a woman) a man-hating bitch or ice queen or whatever.

They also will describe heterosexual marriage as a true commitment to diversity in marriage, and I thought you liked diversity libs, but hypocritical eh? :smug: (but not too diverse please, blacks and Mexicans should stick to their own kind thank-you-very-much)

• Locked thread