Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Another Person posted:

the byzantines have a habit of attacking Venice and taking them, or the same for Amalfi (amalfi may even start de jure byzantine - I know their court is Orthodox). They usually just turn those properties feudal when they do it, but sometimes they won't. You had the option to embargo them because of that trade republic. Were you a Republic yourself? If so, explains it all perfectly.

I wasn't a Republic though, which is why I found it weird that I could do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Groogy posted:

Wiz got his start like that, from CK2+ among other things and its because of him that I hang here now.
I just played the games.... A LOT. Though they didn't know that until after they hired me, so I was hired on being a good programmer.

Or they just needed to fill their quotas of Danes. You know because Paradox "loves" Danes. :downswords:

No credit for me? :qq:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

No credit for me? :qq:

Nah, you just annoy me with bugs reported here ;)
Also were you a modder before you got hired?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
A bit, I did some mods for V1/HoI/EU2/EU3 - but I think it was my betaing lots of PDS games that was a bigger plus for me.

E: We have banished the CK2 team to another floor because they are plague-bearers.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Groogy posted:

I'm curious on what you view as broken? I know the four provinces in east Europe that has to be mapped correctly but otherwise it shouldn't have any broken features beyond that?

I suppose it makes sense now but I tried to convert my pre-patch CK2 game and of course it isn't compatible. I haven't tried with a fresh one yet. I spent a lot of time on that run, though. :(

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Barent posted:

I suppose it makes sense now but I tried to convert my pre-patch CK2 game and of course it isn't compatible. I haven't tried with a fresh one yet. I spent a lot of time on that run, though. :(

Its been fixed for a couple of weeks however. (Though you had to opt into the open beta for it so most people missed it)
Though if you didn't want to do that or wait until the beta became retail, you could always also just revert EU4 to the pre-AoW patch. We never left the converter hanging, its just more or less impossible to communicate all information to everyone :(

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

Groogy posted:

Its been fixed for a couple of weeks however. (Though you had to opt into the open beta for it)
Though if you didn't want to do that, you could always also just revert EU4 to the pre-AoW patch.

Ah, that might be it. I didn't opt in for the beta thingy. That's okay though I'll just start a new run with Way of Life+Charlemagne when I get it.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Darkrenown posted:

E: We have banished the CK2 team to another floor because they are plague-bearers.
That reminds me, are you going to do the open house thing again?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Do you mean like a fan gathering at the office? We do plan to do more of them, but I am not sure when the next one is. Could be around PDXcon in January, but if so no details have been given out yet.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Something I really love about this; it makes your ability to interfere in matters significantly more satisfying and involved than before. Before you'd either rely on your advisors or basic manipulation, but this is far more direct. Best DLC, by far.

I know that this is going to be patched and balanced and reigned in somewhat, but I really hope modders are able to have fun with the way the focus system works. I got to work late this morning because I was up so late playing this. The last time that happened to me was when the game was first released.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Would installing a bunch of dlc break the game's AI?

I'm having problems with the Mongols, as in the Mongols are passively sitting around and doing nothing for decades. If I switch tags to a Mongol khagan, I see a lot of their armies out in foreign provinces, and I'm not able to declare war on anybody because of that. Could that be the cause? Is the game broke for good?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So, Ive been out for some weeks. Are you guys playing Way of Life already?

How playable it is? Any outrageous bugs? Should I wait for a couple of patches?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I think carousing might be broken. The newly installed Antipope was delighted at the prospect of coming carousing with me, but the event ended saying that no one accepted my invitation. Happened on a few occasions.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Darkrenown posted:

Do you mean like a fan gathering at the office? We do plan to do more of them, but I am not sure when the next one is. Could be around PDXcon in January, but if so no details have been given out yet.

do you guys really risk having a serbian nationalist and a croatian nationalist in the room at the same time?

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This comes up a lot. My personal list of Major DLC Desirability, from most to least:

Thanks for this. I got most of the meaningful expansions in a random sale like a year and a half ago so it's nice getting a refresher.

Also my friend got totally into the game and played the starter/lesson/tutorial scenario for like two and a half hours tonight before going to sleep, and it was great. Before I started watching him play there would just be these 10-15 minute pauses in our conversation before he'd say something like "I just had the game paused for like 10 minutes while I tried to figure out how to take away my sister's lands from her. This game's pretty neat." He took over a province and put down a mini-rebellion before calling it a night, and he's gonna start over as an Irish Earl tomorrow for his first proper "real" game.

Speaking of which, Steam streaming is pretty nice. The low (I think it's like 5 seconds) delay meant that I could watch him play and actually give him meaningful/relevant advice and have him do stuff like hover over things with his mouse to let me see certain things. Made explaining how do to things and where to look up random info way easier.

VDay fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 17, 2014

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The Iberian portrait pack seems to have replaced all mediterranean faces, I can't say I'm bothered by it!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Vichan posted:

The Iberian portrait pack seems to have replaced all mediterranean faces, I can't say I'm bothered by it!

That's intentional, it was mentioned a bit earlier in the thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crusader Kings II: Too Many Cucks.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Oh my god, the seduce ability. I started a new Irish game, and my petty king is currently boning his way across the whole island to seed it with bastards. He's in his 70s but he's still a huge hit with the ladies. I find whoever is in charge, then the king fucks his wife until she gives me a boy, then we move on to another county. This is the best game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
So... is there any realistic chance at all of your own wife not cheating on you now?

I appreciate the new character-focused options as much as the next guy, but it really seems like this DLC has dialed it about three notches too far and basically turned medieval Europe into a nonstop frat orgy.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Are retinues worth it yet? I had heard they got ruined a while ago.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Are retinues worth it yet? I had heard they got ruined a while ago.

They used to be game-breaking. As of the CM patch they were dialed back to being merely an occasionally useful option.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

So... is there any realistic chance at all of your own wife not cheating on you now?

I appreciate the new character-focused options as much as the next guy, but it really seems like this DLC has dialed it about three notches too far and basically turned medieval Europe into a nonstop frat orgy.
It's not that cucking is ridiculously common now, it's that the thread finds it hilarious so we're all taking it to crazy extremes.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Eric the Mauve posted:

They used to be game-breaking. As of the CM patch they were dialed back to being merely an occasionally useful option.
2 skirmishers:1 light skirmisher and similar mixtures are still pretty strong against stacks of similar sizes. It's just that you can't count on beating a stack double your own size reliably anymore.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Torrannor posted:

That's intentional, it was mentioned a bit earlier in the thread.

Best decision Paradox ever made, they look fantastic!

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Groogy posted:

Problem on Linux and Mac since launch which I haven't been able to fix. EU4 just refuses to read the file because of encoding problems caused somewhere between our VFS and the OS. All you have to do to quickly fix it is to open the nation localization file and change the encoding to UTF-8. Still trying to come up with some clever way to fix this, really annoying.

I'm curious on what you view as broken? I know the four provinces in east Europe that has to be mapped correctly but otherwise it shouldn't have any broken features beyond that?

Hang on what file where? CK has lots of them.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Unlike everyone else here, I actually like Rajas of India a lot. It's a cool change of pace from the main game.

Speaking of which, I just started a Cakrakuta Ironman game from the Charlemagne start and I made Become King of Orissa my ambition. Shouldn't I get the Subjugation CB against all the de jure lands because Hindu counts as "pagan?" I'm not getting any CBs at all against any of my neighbors, de jure Orissa or not.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Nobody Interesting posted:

Hang on what file where? CK has lots of them.

In the documents folder, so ~/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II/eu4_export/mod/NameOfGeneratedMod/localisation

Martello posted:

Unlike everyone else here, I actually like Rajas of India a lot. It's a cool change of pace from the main game.

Speaking of which, I just started a Cakrakuta Ironman game from the Charlemagne start and I made Become King of Orissa my ambition. Shouldn't I get the Subjugation CB against all the de jure lands because Hindu counts as "pagan?" I'm not getting any CBs at all against any of my neighbors, de jure Orissa or not.

Currently bugged and we are aware, donno how it slipped in though.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 17, 2014

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Martello posted:

Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains are in their own religious category separate from pagans and the Abrahamic faiths.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Groogy posted:

Ok, thanks, I knew it should have been there.

Funky Valentine posted:

Hindus, Buddhists, and Jains are in their own religious category separate from pagans and the Abrahamic faiths.

Yeah, but see above, they still count as pagans when it comes to CB and stuff like that. I knew it used to work! I guess it's time to shelve this ironman till it's fixed.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

In the documents folder, so ~/.paradoxinteractive/Crusader Kings II/eu4_export/mod/NameOfGeneratedMod/localisation

Unless `recode ISO8859-1..UTF-8 *.yml` was the wrong way to go about it, that didn't work.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Unless `recode ISO8859-1..UTF-8 *.yml` was the wrong way to go about it, that didn't work.

I think this small bash script should do the trick:

code:
for file in *.yml; do iconv -t UTF8 -o ${file}.utf8 $file; mv ${file}.utf8 $file; done
Should be able to put that straight into the command line if you have navigated to that folder. I tried making it so the converter ran the script manually but for some reason Linux/mac still refused to let it stay as UTF-8 :/
If its not that, then I have no idea, the file in question is converted_countries_l_english.yml, maybe there's some characters in there that Eu4 don't like?

Sorry for the troubles but keep in mind CK2 is running on ClausewitzII while EU4 is ClausewitsIII so there's a lot of incompatibilities, its even two different localization systems and I think CWII doesn't support Utf-8 while CWIII only accepts UTF-8 or some such. Over a year ago since I did this so memory not exactly fresh.

Edit: I wanted to become a Programmer, and now I'm doing tech support :downsgun:

Groogy fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Dec 17, 2014

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I'm happy to report that the Celtic face pack has given me all the little scoundrel red headed children running around I always wanted :3:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

Edit: I wanted to become a Programmer, and now I'm doing tech support :downsgun:

It's okay. I love and appreciate you for all of your talents.

code:
l_french:
Yep. We got some weirdness going on...

code:
theocratic_government_ruler_norse_pagan_reformed: "Kriegsführer"
Oh boy it gets worse

code:
l_spanish:
 theocratic_government_norse_pagan_reformed: "Culto Bélico"
:negative:

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 17, 2014

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It's okay. I love and appreciate you for all of your talents.

code:
l_french:
Yep. We got some weirdness going on...

code:
theocratic_government_ruler_norse_pagan_reformed: "Kriegsführer"
Oh boy it gets worse

code:
l_spanish:
 theocratic_government_norse_pagan_reformed: "Culto Bélico"
:negative:

Ugh this poo poo annoys me so loving much. Alright I'm gonna do a final try right before Yuletid and see if I can get it working. Probably won't see it in a patch though until after I get back.

In meantime, do a clean export (remove everything in the eu4_export/mod folder) and then run the bash script.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

Ugh this poo poo annoys me so loving much. Alright I'm gonna do a final try right before Yuletid and see if I can get it working. Probably won't see it in a patch though until after I get back.

In meantime, do a clean export (remove everything in the eu4_export/mod folder) and then run the bash script.

Running the export now, sorry all this has to be so annoying for you. I'm really grateful for your help though!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Running the export now, sorry all this has to be so annoying for you. I'm really grateful for your help though!

No what annoys me is that I haven't gotten it to work :P
Its my responsibility to make it work and I take that seriously so I try to help whenever I see someone having problems even though its not part of my job.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Nope. Fresh export, ran the line you gave me and I lost half of converted_countries:

code:
l_english:
 Y86: "Great Moravia"
 Y86_ADJ: "Moravian"
 Z00: "Frisia"
 Z00_ADJ: "Frisian"
 Z01: "Egypt"
 Z01_ADJ: "Egyptian"
 Z02: "Makuria"
 Z02_ADJ: "Makurian"
 Z03: "Uppland"
 Z03_ADJ: "Upplander"
 Z04: "Moravia"
 Z04_ADJ: "Moravian"
 Z05: "Lower Lorraine"
 Z05_ADJ: "Lower Lorrainian"
 Z06: "Neutra"
 Z06_ADJ: "Nyitran"
 Z07: "Upper Lorraine"
 Z07_ADJ: "Upper Lorrainian"
 Z08: "Verona"
 Z08_ADJ: "Veronian"
 Z09: "Swabia"
 Z09_ADJ: "Swabian"
 Z10: "Great Moravia"
 Z10_ADJ: "Moravian"
 Z11: "Mecklenburg"
 Z11_ADJ: "Mecklenburgian"
 Z12: "Tr
I think we're basically hosed for now.

Oh hey, Z12 is Tröndelag, so yeah, we're making GBS threads over umlauts.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Nope. Fresh export, ran the line you gave me and I lost half of converted_countries:

code:
l_english:
 Y86: "Great Moravia"
 Y86_ADJ: "Moravian"
 Z00: "Frisia"
 Z00_ADJ: "Frisian"
 Z01: "Egypt"
 Z01_ADJ: "Egyptian"
 Z02: "Makuria"
 Z02_ADJ: "Makurian"
 Z03: "Uppland"
 Z03_ADJ: "Upplander"
 Z04: "Moravia"
 Z04_ADJ: "Moravian"
 Z05: "Lower Lorraine"
 Z05_ADJ: "Lower Lorrainian"
 Z06: "Neutra"
 Z06_ADJ: "Nyitran"
 Z07: "Upper Lorraine"
 Z07_ADJ: "Upper Lorrainian"
 Z08: "Verona"
 Z08_ADJ: "Veronian"
 Z09: "Swabia"
 Z09_ADJ: "Swabian"
 Z10: "Great Moravia"
 Z10_ADJ: "Moravian"
 Z11: "Mecklenburg"
 Z11_ADJ: "Mecklenburgian"
 Z12: "Tr
I think we're basically hosed for now.

Try doing it in a text editor instead of being fancy. Gedit/Sublime/Kate(or Vim if you are one of those horrible people who thinks living in caves are a good idea) should have an option to let you choose what encoding to convert or save the file in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

Try doing it in a text editor instead of being fancy. Gedit/Sublime/Kate(or Vim if you are one of those horrible people who thinks living in caves are a good idea) should have an option to let you choose what encoding to convert or save the file in.

I've just done that too, with gedit, no dice.

• Locked thread