Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon
It came from Facebook.

Now I'm no expert, but I'd say this probably constitutes a new low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

It came from Facebook.

GMOs make vaccines now?!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Taaaaaaarb! posted:

It came from Facebook.

What a maroon. Everybody knows that autism is caused by eating gluten.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-organic-foods-20140715-story.html

quote:

After reviewing 343 studies on the topic, researchers in Europe and the United States concluded that organic crops and organic-crop-based foods contained higher concentrations of antioxidants on average than conventionally grown foods.

At the same time, the researchers found that conventional foods contained greater concentrations of residual pesticides and the toxic metal cadmium.

"This shows clearly that organically grown fruits, vegetables and grains deliver tangible nutrition and food safety benefits," said study coauthor Charles Benbrook, a research professor at Washington State University's Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24968103

quote:

Higher antioxidant and lower cadmium concentrations and lower incidence of pesticide residues in organically grown crops: a systematic literature review and meta-analyses.

Barański M1, Srednicka-Tober D1, Volakakis N1, Seal C2, Sanderson R3, Stewart GB1, Benbrook C4, Biavati B5, Markellou E6, Giotis C7, Gromadzka-Ostrowska J8, Rembiałkowska E8, Skwarło-Sońta K9, Tahvonen R10, Janovská D11, Niggli U12, Nicot P13, Leifert C1.
Author information

1School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University,Nafferton Farm, Stocksfield,Northumberland,NE43 7XD,UK.
2Human Nutrition Research Centre, School of Agriculture, Food and Rural Development, Newcastle University,Agriculture Building, Kings Road,Newcastle upon TyneNE1 7RU,UK.
3School of Biology, Newcastle University,Ridley Building,Newcastle upon TyneNE1 7RU,UK.
4Center for Sustaining Agriculture and Natural Resources, Washington State University,Pullman,WA,USA.
5Department of Agricultural Sciences,School of Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine, University of Bologna,Viale Fanin 42,40127Bologna,Italy.
6Department of Pesticide Control and Phytopharmacy,Benaki Phytopathological Institute,GR 14561 Kifissia,Athens,Greece.
7Department of Organic Farming and Food Technology,Technological Educational Institute of Ionian Islands,Iosif Momferatou & Ilia Miniati PC28100,Argostoli, Cephalonia,Greece.
8Faculty of Human Nutrition and Consumer Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences,Nowoursynowska 159c,02-776Warsaw,Poland.
9Department of Animal Physiology,Faculty of Biology, University of Warsaw,Miecznikowa 1,02-096Warsaw,Poland.
10Biotechnology and Food Research, MTT Agrifood Research Finland,FI-31600Jokioinen,Finland.
11Department of Gene Bank,Crop Research Institute (CRI),Drnovská 507/73, 161 06 Praha 6 -Ruzyně,Czech Republic.
12Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL),Ackerstrasse 113,CH-5070Frick,Switzerland.
13INRA, UR407 Pathologie végétale,67 allée des chęnes,F-84143Montfavet Cedex,France.

Demand for organic foods is partially driven by consumers' perceptions that they are more nutritious. However, scientific opinion is divided on whether there are significant nutritional differences between organic and non-organic foods, and two recent reviews have concluded that there are no differences. In the present study, we carried out meta-analyses based on 343 peer-reviewed publications that indicate statistically significant and meaningful differences in composition between organic and non-organic crops/crop-based foods. Most importantly, the concentrations of a range of antioxidants such as polyphenolics were found to be substantially higher in organic crops/crop-based foods, with those of phenolic acids, flavanones, stilbenes, flavones, flavonols and anthocyanins being an estimated 19 (95 % CI 5, 33) %, 69 (95 % CI 13, 125) %, 28 (95 % CI 12, 44) %, 26 (95 % CI 3, 48) %, 50 (95 % CI 28, 72) % and 51 (95 % CI 17, 86) % higher, respectively. Many of these compounds have previously been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases, including CVD and neurodegenerative diseases and certain cancers, in dietary intervention and epidemiological studies. Additionally, the frequency of occurrence of pesticide residues was found to be four times higher in conventional crops, which also contained significantly higher concentrations of the toxic metal Cd. Significant differences were also detected for some other (e.g. minerals and vitamins) compounds. There is evidence that higher antioxidant concentrations and lower Cd concentrations are linked to specific agronomic practices (e.g. non-use of mineral N and P fertilisers, respectively) prescribed in organic farming systems. In conclusion, organic crops, on average, have higher concentrations of antioxidants, lower concentrations of Cd and a lower incidence of pesticide residues than the non-organic comparators across regions and production seasons.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I feel like we've already discussed this study or a similar one. As in, my agricultural policy folder contains a Baranski et al 2014 paper with similar claims from early August.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I feel like we've already discussed this study or a similar one. As in, my agricultural policy folder contains a Baranski et al 2014 paper with similar claims from early August.
I hadnt seen it. Date on the ncbi posting is 2014 Sep 14.

edit: published online Jul 15, 2014
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4141693/

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do we have any evidence that the levels of pesticide present actually harm people, or is it more a matter of "better safe than sorry"?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

What I hate about this poo poo though is it doesn't present any evidence that the amount of Cd is something I should care about, or whether the antioxidants are in enough of a higher concentration to make any sort of difference.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

The data selection in that study is odd and has loose exclusion criteria, and considering the authors and funding, there's certainly potential for bias there. They also don't really look for the presence of organic pesticides, and they also don't make much discussion of potentially beneficial differences in the conventional crops. And of course, there's the issue of whether the findings are actually meaningful with respect to public health.

Let's assume, for sake of argument, that it's both accurate and meaningful. Then, we still have the issue of the unscientific organic vs. conventional false dichotomy. It's not a reason to support the organic industry, it's a reason to work out what conventional practices are bad and what organic practices are good w/r/t nutritional content, and see where the trade-offs are.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

disheveled posted:

The data selection in that study is odd and has loose exclusion criteria, and considering the authors and funding, there's certainly potential for bias there. They also don't really look for the presence of organic pesticides, and they also don't make much discussion of potentially beneficial differences in the conventional crops. And of course, there's the issue of whether the findings are actually meaningful with respect to public health.

Let's assume, for sake of argument, that it's both accurate and meaningful. Then, we still have the issue of the unscientific organic vs. conventional false dichotomy. It's not a reason to support the organic industry, it's a reason to work out what conventional practices are bad and what organic practices are good w/r/t nutritional content, and see where the trade-offs are.

Okay, I'll bite, what the gently caress is an "organic pesticide"?

I'm assuming it has some stupid meaning that isn't "a pesticide that contains carbon"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It's a pesticide that you're allowed to put on organic crops. If you use something without that designation, then you can't call the crop organic any longer

All organic food labeling is a big dumb misnomer, basically

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Jarmak posted:

I'm assuming it has some stupid meaning that isn't "a pesticide that contains carbon"
I believe that according to the USDA, it is any pesticide not on this list:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5088987
(from here: http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/NOPOrganicStandards )
If a normal person said it, I'd probably assume they mean "any pesticide that wasn't chemically synthesized".

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It's a pesticide that you're allowed to put on organic crops. If you use something without that designation, then you can't call the crop organic any longer

All organic food labeling is a big dumb misnomer, basically

yes but what makes it organic?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jarmak posted:

Organic pesticides/herbicides are naturally occurring (or derived from something naturally occurring) chemicals that kill unwanted insects/weeds/etc. In the US, there's an "approved/banned" list of substances for organic farming. The distinction has nothing to do with safety or the environment, and thus has basically zero scientific justification.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jarmak posted:

Is the pesticide approved for organic crops?
Yes=> Organic.
No=> Not Organic.

That's it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jarmak posted:

It's derived directly from plants rather than produced synthetically.

Something like Rotenone. Most of them are broad-spectrum and poisonous to pretty much everything that lives. Rotenone in particular kills the gently caress out of fish and is definitely something you don't want to expose yourself to on any kind of regular basis.

But it's better because a plant did it. :downs:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Jarmak posted:

A bunch of bullshit is what makes it organic. Because a chemical like say Rotenone can be derived non-synthetically from plants it can be called organic. Just hope you like Parkinson's disease. But hey, it is ORGANIC Parkinson's disease.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

For the sake of intellectual honesty, while rotenone is a clear example of why the naturalistic fallacy is a fallacy, EPA regulations prevent it from being used on US organic farms, and some organic groups have moved to get it added to the prohibited list. I think it's technically "allowed with restrictions" now, so in theory imported produce certified as USDA Organic could have been exposed to rotenone, but I'm not 100% on that. The important take-home message is that synthetic/conventional vs. natural/organic has little bearing on environmental or health impacts, it comes down to the details.

That was part of my point with the "false dichotomy" thing. If people just harp on rotenone, then people will just ban rotenone and move on. We want to get consumers, producers, and advocates thinking in a framework where they don't care about how natural something is, but to think of the desired outcomes and work back from that to get to best agricultural practices. Most organic proponents have their hearts in the right place.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

disheveled posted:

That was part of my point with the "false dichotomy" thing. If people just harp on rotenone, then people will just ban rotenone and move on. We want to get consumers, producers, and advocates thinking in a framework where they don't care about how natural something is, but to think of the desired outcomes and work back from that to get to best agricultural practices. Most organic proponents have their hearts in the right place.

Part of the reason there is a false dichotomy between conventional and organic is that both are industries organized in very similar ways. Organic farming started as a movement to reject industrial agricultural methods, including monocultures and high levels of industrial inputs including pesticides and fertilizers. As organic food became a profitable industry the requirements and ethic of organic were weakened to allow larger farms and larger companies to get in on the action. Essentially organic agriculture became an issue of same farm, different pesticides where the original goal was to change the farm.

As organic agriculture has become a commodity rather than a social movement we have seen the rise of the local food movement. The two movements start from a similar place, a desire to change the process of farming by revealing the conditions of food production to consumers. Organic agriculture relied on certification, local food relies on a direct connection between farmers and consumers. Unfortunately, the local food movement is going the way of organic food, becoming a commodity differentiated by a single trait, distance. The ethic behind the local food movement is being lost as ,frustratingly, the issue is redefined by food miles and the supposed GHG emissions avoided.

All the same, I think its unfair to criticize the ethic behind organic or local agriculture, because many of the complaints originate from their assimilation into our industrial food system. Critics of that industrial food system are not blind to problems with organic agriculture, as one might be led to believe in this thread.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Organic farming started as a mostly spiritualish movement to reject anything "too modern" by some British dudes in the 30s, who chose what was too modern entirely at random.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, let's avoid the revisionism. The organic movement transparently began as a naturalist movement, and though some intelligent people have jumped on it in the recent past as a way to fight particular inadequacies and failures of industrial agriculture, there was never any serious (or, at the least, effective) effort to unify that vision. The strength of the anti-GMO position — for example — comes from having successfully integrated itself into the naturalist ideology, because it certainly isn't intellectually sound, and I'm not willing to chalk that up to something like corruption of the organic movement by industry.

I don't disagree that "organic" has blossomed into a full-blown industry with a shared set of issues, but I also don't think it was ever going to be a coherent solution to conventional agriculture.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

disheveled posted:

Yeah, let's avoid the revisionism. The organic movement transparently began as a naturalist movement, and though some intelligent people have jumped on it in the recent past as a way to fight particular inadequacies and failures of industrial agriculture, there was never any serious (or, at the least, effective) effort to unify that vision. The strength of the anti-GMO position — for example — comes from having successfully integrated itself into the naturalist ideology, because it certainly isn't intellectually sound, and I'm not willing to chalk that up to something like corruption of the organic movement by industry.

I don't disagree that "organic" has blossomed into a full-blown industry with a shared set of issues, but I also don't think it was ever going to be a coherent solution to conventional agriculture.

I'll admit I'm not completely immersed in the history of the organic movement but it seems to me that it began as a rejection of produced (industrial) fertilizers. Instead, the organic movement focused on soil health, ecology, and compost. It seems from the beginning a rejection of industrial agriculture in favour of non-industrial methods. The absence of produced technology does not mean the absence of science. And certainly the anti-GMO movement has become attached to organics.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Duck Rodgers posted:

I'll admit I'm not completely immersed in the history of the organic movement but it seems to me that it began as a rejection of produced (industrial) fertilizers. Instead, the organic movement focused on soil health, ecology, and compost. It seems from the beginning a rejection of industrial agriculture in favour of non-industrial methods. The absence of produced technology does not mean the absence of science. And certainly the anti-GMO movement has become attached to organics.

Soil health, ecology and compost are all technologies used on conventional farms and industrial methods, like say tilling, are used on organic farms.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Thread bad :gas: it

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

platedlizard posted:

Thread bad :gas: it

Poster bad :ban: him

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nintendo Kid posted:

Organic farming started as a mostly spiritualish movement to reject anything "too modern" by some British dudes in the 30s, who chose what was too modern entirely at random.

[Citation needed]

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Oh my, Biodynamic agriculture. Its basically homeopathy for the farm.

Preparation 500 - Cow manure is buried in cow horns in the soil over winter. The horn is then dug up, its contents (called horn manure or '500') are then stirred in water and sprayed on the soil in the afternoon. The horn may be re-used as a sheath.
Preparation 501 - Ground quartz is buried in cow horns in the soil over summer. The horn is then dug up, its contents (called horn silica or '501') are then stirred in water and sprayed over the vines at daybreak. The horn may be re-used as a sheath.
Preparation 502 - Yarrow flowers are buried sheathed in a stag's bladder. This is hung in the summer sun, buried over winter, then dug up the following spring. The bladder's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used bladder is discarded).
Preparation 503 - Chamomille, the German chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) flowers are sheathed in a cow intestine. This is hung in the summer sun, buried over winter, then dug up the following spring. The intestine's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used intestine is discarded).
Preparation 504 - Stinging nettles are buried in the soil (with no animal sheath) in summer, are dug up the following autumn and are inserted in the compost.
Preparation 505 - Oak bark is buried sheathed in the skull of a farm animal, the skull is buried in a watery environment over winter, then dug up. The skull's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used skull is discarded).
Preparation 506 - Dandelion flowers are buried sheathed in a cow mesentery (peritoneum). This is hung in the summer sun, buried over winter, then dug up the following spring. The mesentery's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used mesentery is discarded).
Preparation 507 - Valerian flower juice is sprayed over and/or inserted into the compost.
Preparation 508 - Common Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) made either as a fresh tea or as a fermented liquid manure is applied either to the vines (in this case usually as a tea) or to the soil (in this case usually as a liquid manure).

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

karthun posted:

Oh my, Biodynamic agriculture. Its basically homeopathy for the farm.

Preparation 500 - Cow manure is buried in cow horns in the soil over winter. The horn is then dug up, its contents (called horn manure or '500') are then stirred in water and sprayed on the soil in the afternoon. The horn may be re-used as a sheath.
Preparation 501 - Ground quartz is buried in cow horns in the soil over summer. The horn is then dug up, its contents (called horn silica or '501') are then stirred in water and sprayed over the vines at daybreak. The horn may be re-used as a sheath.
Preparation 502 - Yarrow flowers are buried sheathed in a stag's bladder. This is hung in the summer sun, buried over winter, then dug up the following spring. The bladder's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used bladder is discarded).
Preparation 503 - Chamomille, the German chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) flowers are sheathed in a cow intestine. This is hung in the summer sun, buried over winter, then dug up the following spring. The intestine's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used intestine is discarded).
Preparation 504 - Stinging nettles are buried in the soil (with no animal sheath) in summer, are dug up the following autumn and are inserted in the compost.
Preparation 505 - Oak bark is buried sheathed in the skull of a farm animal, the skull is buried in a watery environment over winter, then dug up. The skull's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used skull is discarded).
Preparation 506 - Dandelion flowers are buried sheathed in a cow mesentery (peritoneum). This is hung in the summer sun, buried over winter, then dug up the following spring. The mesentery's contents are removed and inserted in the compost (the used mesentery is discarded).
Preparation 507 - Valerian flower juice is sprayed over and/or inserted into the compost.
Preparation 508 - Common Horsetail (Equisetum arvense) made either as a fresh tea or as a fermented liquid manure is applied either to the vines (in this case usually as a tea) or to the soil (in this case usually as a liquid manure).

I'm an organic farmer and I do none of those things, so... Also where did you copy all that from?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

[Citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Howard

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

" He emphasizes the importance of maintaining humus, keeping water in the soil, and the role of mycorrhiza. "

Organic food is satan

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

I'm an organic farmer and I do none of those things, so... Also where did you copy all that from?

Of course you don't, that is pretty much just crazies these days. I would hope you didn't buy into it. You asked about the origin.

Before Howard was Rudolf Steiner. Duck Rodgers implied that the organic movement began with an evidence-based approach, but it did not -- it was spiritual woo and bad naturalist philosophy that said, straight up, that industrial agriculture is necessarily worse for everything. Environment and health were among the major concerns, but the "solutions" they came up with weren't based on scientific reasoning.

And that is why there is still a prominent rejection of "chemicals" or technological innovation, even if the more insane components have been dropped.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

You are a glorified gardener who wanted to mate his tomatoes with a poisonous berry earlier in this thread.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

It's not really clear to me how the organic movement became anti-GMO.

Rebreeding two plants for countless growing seasons until the desired traits are found --> Organic

Transferring genetic material between one plant and another via grafting or other "natural" techniques --> Organic

Transferring single genes between one plant and another in a laboratory --> GMO, burn the crop, salt the field

If you examine the history of agriculture, GMO is the next logical step in development. Rather than relying on chance across countless growing seasons or just loving sticking plants onto other plants in order to reach a desired result, we can modify the specific genes directly. In this sense, the plant is no less natural than if it had been produced with other "natural" techniques. Why do people believe that this step results in something poisonous, deadly, etc, whereas the previous steps did not?

It makes no sense to preclude GMOs from being labeled as organic.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

QuarkJets posted:

Rebreeding two plants for countless growing seasons until the desired traits are found --> Organic

Transferring genetic material between one plant and another via grafting or other "natural" techniques --> Organic

Transferring single genes between one plant and another in a laboratory --> GMO, burn the crop, salt the field

If you examine the history of agriculture, GMO is the next logical step in development. Rather than relying on chance across countless growing seasons or just loving sticking plants onto other plants in order to reach a desired result, we can modify the specific genes directly. In this sense, the plant is no less natural than if it had been produced with other "natural" techniques. Why do people believe that this step results in something poisonous, deadly, etc, whereas the previous steps did not?

Because if we do it in a lab we are infringing on the domain of God, just like Frankenstein! I mean, these people use terms like "Franken-Food", of course it's about dumb superstition. The extra ingredient that made GMOs evil was a loving jacob's ladder prop in the fictional GMO lab in their head.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

QuarkJets posted:

Your logic doesn't hold. For the most part, you're not modifying or mutating endogenous genes, you're introducing new transgenes from new sources so that the plant can do something it couldn't before. Most GM crops have phenotypes you couldn't realistically get with conventional breeding techniques. I certainly see an argument in there for why the GM plant is "less natural."

It's coherent logic for a person blanketly opposed to synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides to also be opposed to GMOs. The problem is the premise of "natural is better," not the connection between these things.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

disheveled posted:

Your logic doesn't hold. For the most part, you're not modifying or mutating endogenous genes, you're introducing new transgenes from new sources so that the plant can do something it couldn't before. Most GM crops have phenotypes you couldn't realistically get with conventional breeding techniques. I certainly see an argument in there for why the GM plant is "less natural."

It's coherent logic for a person blanketly opposed to synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides to also be opposed to GMOs. The problem is the premise of "natural is better," not the connection between these things.

Sure, but then why is bombing seeds with radiation to create mutations a-ok?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Etalommi posted:

Sure, but then why is bombing seeds with radiation to create mutations a-ok?

Because it's still something the plant could do naturally eventually. That's the thinking, anyway. Not saying it really makes sense, because it's a very dumb dichotomy anyway.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Taffer posted:

Because it's still something the plant could do naturally eventually. That's the thinking, anyway. Not saying it really makes sense, because it's a very dumb dichotomy anyway.

So then the objection to transgenics is just a failure to understand basic facts of genetics and mutation, namely that genes that appear in another species are capable of being mutated naturally eventually?

I mean, I guess I knew that.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

Etalommi posted:

So then the objection to transgenics is just a failure to understand basic facts of genetics and mutation, namely that genes that appear in another species are capable of being mutated naturally eventually?

I mean, I guess I knew that.

Well theoretically yes, but still no; the fenotypic expression is based on proteins. Since, well, alternative splicing and stuff then essentially the odds are astronomical. The entire point of genetic manipulation is to introduce expression products that cannot in any reasonable way be introduced via hybridization, radiation shotgunning, gene guns etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

disheveled posted:

But even if you're transferring genes between the same species in order to produce a specific result, a process that could occur "naturally" over a sufficient number of growing seasons and with enough effort, the anti gmo people still claim that this is unnatural and should not be done. And yet grafting, an entirely unnatural process, is considered acceptable because we've been doing it for a lot longer. It's absolutely illogical.

• Locked thread