Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

cyberbug posted:

This thing was a failure even with the ring.

The N-Gage was such a colossal failure. I love it so much. Let's look at an ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqumbLhqAWs

Check out how desperate they are to not give you a good look at the thing until they give you a list of features. Then they finally show you a couple seconds of it playing some games and that's all you need to laugh it out of your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
http://www.sidetalkin.com/

Ancient meme about having to hold the ngage sideways to talk on it and use it as a phone. People using it looked like they were speaking into a robot taco

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Probably the only really offensive thing about it was refusing to give free samples to women. That's when you grab a whole handful, knock over the display, and run away.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bip Roberts posted:

It is probably useful for them to point out that darkly colored beer isn't more caloric, which a lot of people seem to think.

They could have worded it something like “Naturally 125 Calories”.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bip Roberts posted:

It is probably useful for them to point out that darkly colored beer isn't more caloric, which a lot of people seem to think.

Dirt has no calories.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Agreed. Dove Men+Care is a better example of man-friendly marketing. They still do the "holy crap look how manly your man-hide is, you've got to take care of that you beautiful beast you," but they don't call out women at all. I think even men who welcome man-marketed products know it's a bad idea to throw a middle finger at the ladies.

Holy hell I can't stand the Man+Care copy.

Dusty roads, football tackles, socket wrench, kilowatts per hour, bricks, fighting mongooses, Die Hard The Movie™. This shampoo is for you.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

lord funk posted:

Holy hell I can't stand the Man+Care copy.

Dusty roads, football tackles, socket wrench, kilowatts per hour, bricks, fighting mongooses, Die Hard The Movie™. This shampoo is for you.

Stuff like this is always weird. I mean it so clearly comes from the soft, moisturized big boys at the ad agency talking to each other about how fighting mongooses and uh, dust, like on the road behind a truck maybe?, would really mobilize the 18-32 demo behind our lotion or whatever. It can't help but seem condescending.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQm1_ff5Pb0

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Does this count? The Olympic logo from the 2012 Olympics in Britain?

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00637/news-graphics-2007-_637249a.gif

Has it been posted yet?

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues
Speaking of the Olympics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

Reebok had an advertising campaign focused on Dan O'Brian and Dave Johnson, two American decathletes who were both training to compete in the '92 Barcelona Olympics. The ads played up their friendly rivalry, wondering who would bring home the gold and forever be known as "The World's Greatest Athlete".

...Except Dan never actually made it to Barcelona, having failed to qualify.

But that's okay! Dave still made it, so it's not a complete wash! He could still bring home the gold!

...Except he ended up competing on a broken ankle and the best he could manage was bronze.

Buy Reebok!

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Manfrompoot posted:

...Except he ended up competing on a broken ankle and the best he could manage was bronze.

Buy Reebok!

To be fair, getting Bronze with a broken ankle is pretty hardcore.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
Back to twitter fuckups, energy firm British Gas decided to host an AMA on the same day it announced a 10% price hike in time for the start of winter. The British public laid down some sick burns in an effort to keep warm.

quote:

Ian Peters, managing director of British Gas Residential Energy, defended his decision to use social media to engage with customers and the wider decision to raise bills. "I would not describe this as a PR disaster. We have made a commitment to be open and transparent. These are tough decisions we have had to take in tough times and it would not be right of us to hide away and not explain ourselves."

quote:

.@BritishGas #AskBG What is the best temperature to thaw an elderly relative at and what seasoning would you use with one?

quote:

.@BritishGas Will you be sacrificing your social media team for fuel this winter? #AskBG

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Nipponophile posted:

When your entire ad campaign involves commercials of people (even if they're kids) saying that your product is gross and they hate it, then you have seriously hosed up somewhere.

Marmite did it, and Marmite is amazing. :colbert:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
The weird thing that so many of these hygiene commercials targeting men seem to miss is that the Old Spice ads, the ones that kicked this whole trend off and are unarguably the most successful, actually targeted women. The commercial literally begins with "Hello, ladies, look at your man, now back to me, now back at your man, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped using ladies scented body wash and switched to Old Spice, he could smell like he’s me.", the whole point was that by aiming the ad at women they would buy it for men which would in turn make more men use it.

Pretty much every copycat ignores that and just lays the tryhard monkey cheese humor on extra thick to try and make up for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So here is my favorite fuckup of advertising this year and boy is it a doozy. Oglivy India ran a campaign for Kurl On mattresses and I guess the wanted to show how rejuvenating and bouncy the product was. So what better to depict than a cartoon Malala Yousafzai getting shot in the face (with blood) fall on the mattress then bounce back up ready to work?

Article here with some additional information.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

swamp waste posted:

Stuff like this is always weird. I mean it so clearly comes from the soft, moisturized big boys at the ad agency talking to each other about how fighting mongooses and uh, dust, like on the road behind a truck maybe?, would really mobilize the 18-32 demo behind our lotion or whatever. It can't help but seem condescending.

What about rebranding those weird exfoliating thingies as TOOLS for MEN to use?

I'm sure there is one here in the UK that looks like a tyre.

EDIT

Bahahah here it is.

Rondette has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Dec 17, 2014

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Rondette posted:

What about rebranding those weird exfoliating thingies as TOOLS for MEN to use?

I'm sure there is one here in the UK that looks like a tyre.

EDIT

Bahahah here it is.

Is "douche" a cognate in French? :laugh:

I tend to be goal-oriented when I'm in the health and beauty section. "Get poo poo to clean yourself, Fai." Then they start throwing TOOLS FOR MEN at me via those drat talking advertisements and it only motivates me to shop faster and spend less time there. I don't need TOOLS, I just need some unscented shampoo and unoffensive soap for my hygiene needs. Axe/Lynx bodywash makes you smell like you just woke up on a couch the morning after a college party all day long, and plastic TOOLS and other stupid doodads are just more poo poo to clutter up my shower MAN CLEANING FACILITY.

Is anyone really looking at that poo poo and thinking "drat, I've been waiting for someone to come out with a way to let me exfoliate my skin without looking like a FEMALE while I do it!"

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Rondette posted:

Bahahah here it is.

Throw some blue LEDs on that and you could probably get gamers to actually look after their personal hygiene.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barudak posted:

So here is my favorite fuckup of advertising this year and boy is it a doozy. Oglivy India ran a campaign for Kurl On mattresses and I guess the wanted to show how rejuvenating and bouncy the product was. So what better to depict than a cartoon Malala Yousafzai getting shot in the face (with blood) fall on the mattress then bounce back up ready to work?

Article here with some additional information.

Nothing says "buy a mattress" like a 14 year old being shot in the face.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Jesus loving christ.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

That's not just a dumb move, that's a what in the holy gently caress move.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
One of my all-time favorite marketing fails is that of Ayds Diet Candy.

Ayds was marketed as an appetite suppressant in the 70's and early 80's and enjoyed strong sales and a pretty big market share. However, the early 80's is when the public became aware of the disease known as AIDS. The company refused to change their name, thinking it wouldn't make any difference. Their sales dropped more than 50%, and they didn't change their name until 1988.

What did they change it to? Diet Ayds.

They went completely out of business by 1990.

Bonus: Here is a hilarious-in-retrospect commercial.

"Why take diet pills when you can enjoy Ayds?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTitP5_yDUU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, holy poo poo!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

:stare:

"BUT IT WORKED DIDN'T IT YOU'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE AD I TOOK MARKETING 101 AND I KNOW THAT IS EFFECTIVE MARKETING :downsowned:"

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mind the walrus posted:

"BUT IT WORKED DIDN'T IT YOU'RE STILL TALKING ABOUT THE AD I TOOK MARKETING 101 AND I KNOW THAT IS EFFECTIVE MARKETING :downsowned:"

This but unironically.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mind the walrus posted:

I'd love to see the first marketing guy who had the Eureka realisation that if all publicity is good publicity, then the more people we horrify the better!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Murderion posted:

Back to twitter fuckups, energy firm British Gas decided to host an AMA on the same day it announced a 10% price hike in time for the start of winter. The British public laid down some sick burns in an effort to keep warm.

Speaking of dumb Twitter mistakes:

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I just went to Nando's. The Menu has "WELCOME TO THE FRIEND ZONE" written on the front in huge lettering, and inside it says "ARE YOU A NANDO'S VIRGIN?"

I don't know whether this is terrible or amazing.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I'd love to see the first marketing guy who had the Eureka realisation that if all publicity is good publicity, then the more people we horrify the better!

All the Snake Oil ads in the 19th Century for poo poo like, Mercury, Radon, and Bull semen mixed in a weathered amniotic sac as a cure-all for baby hiccups were the first ironic shitposts of the marketing world :downs:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I just went to Nando's. The Menu has "WELCOME TO THE FRIEND ZONE" written on the front in huge lettering, and inside it says "ARE YOU A NANDO'S VIRGIN?"

I don't know whether this is terrible or amazing.

This is a Nando's commercial that aired on Australian TV (contains slight nudity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcfQceBib4

Also earlier this year they "stole" a giant fibreglass mango from a country town in order to promote a new marinade.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nando's seems like a legitimately insane company. I'm genuinely surprised we don't have something that matches it in the USA>

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Nando's seems like a legitimately insane company. I'm genuinely surprised we don't have something that matches it in the USA>

I'm pretty sure it is in the states, or at least some of my American friends seemed familiar with the name. We also have it here in Canada too. It's almost weird because I never heard of it till last year, and now I'm seeing Nandos branded sauce in grocery stores and "TV" ads on the Canadian comedy central video player.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Oxyclean posted:

I'm pretty sure it is in the states, or at least some of my American friends seemed familiar with the name. We also have it here in Canada too. It's almost weird because I never heard of it till last year, and now I'm seeing Nandos branded sauce in grocery stores and "TV" ads on the Canadian comedy central video player.

I'm in America and have never seen a Nando's but I know what it is because they talk about it on British TV all the time.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm in America and have never seen a Nando's but I know what it is because they talk about it on British TV all the time.

We have very few of them but they do exist.

Sramaker
Oct 31, 2012

by Cowcaster

mrkillboy posted:

This is a Nando's commercial that aired on Australian TV (contains slight nudity):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWcfQceBib4

Also earlier this year they "stole" a giant fibreglass mango from a country town in order to promote a new marinade.

Yep and then two people put a drug lab in the Mango (I wish i was kidding)
http://news.epicinter.net/makeshift-meth-mango-lab-found-inside-bowens-giant-3-storey-high-mango-following-theft/

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I ate at Nando's when I was in London last year.

I got a jug of sangria.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Nando's started in South Africa.
This aired shortly after some pretty bad xenophobic attacks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R7vu9SuxaQ
It was controversial, but went down better than you might think.

Here's a more recent ad:
Government officials tend to travel in convoys which don't follow road laws and are pretty aggressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIl5p6gPWjg

Weird ads for a chicken place for sure, but not necessarily that dumb. They're focused on brand instead of product.

Here's a dumb ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmLSzf96h-k

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
There is also this rather vulgar ad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFUugYc2oF4
Thing is, if that actually happened it would be a good reason to avoid the Peri-Peri chicken.

TZer0
Jun 22, 2013
I still think that Honda Fitta was pretty great.

"Fitta" basically means "pussy" in various Scandinavian languages. How they got as far as printing the brochures before realizing the problem boggles my mind.

http://www.carscoops.com/2007/09/why-honda-didnt-call-fit-jazz-by-its.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

TZer0 posted:

I still think that Honda Fitta was pretty great.

"Fitta" basically means "pussy" in various Scandinavian languages. How they got as far as printing the brochures before realizing the problem boggles my mind.

http://www.carscoops.com/2007/09/why-honda-didnt-call-fit-jazz-by-its.html

My former roommate, from Norway, drives a Fit, and I'm half convinced he bought it because of the Fitta debacle. Coincidentally, fitta is one of the first Swedish words I learned.

Has anyone seen the stupid Kmart commercial with pregnant ladies dancing sexily?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94ES_HI-K8

Santa Baby is an awful enough song on its own, and I'm not quite sure why this commercial bugs me so much, because these cute suburban moms are killing it, but I'm completely squicked out.

Also, in the bay area, we get a lot of weird commercials for places that don't exist out here. Like Sonic. I think the closest one is about an hour away. Or Dairy Queen. There might be one a few cities over, but it's not like a popular enough destination for them to be shown every commercial break. Or Dunkin Donuts, which infuriatingly, doesn't even exist in the entire bay area (yet), but they've been advertising here for years. And I can't tell you where there's a Kmart nearby, though I know Wal Marts are around here somewhere.