Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

some people have programming jobs where they aren't allowed internet access

hosed up but true

this does make the "copy/paste from Snack Overflow" school of programming kinda redundant, unfortunately

Are you taking medication yet?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MononcQc posted:

how do svn migrations go anyway?
very carefully, op

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

St Evan Echoes posted:

very carefully, op

your avatar sums up my past experiences with svn merges

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

and my experiences with anything in git

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

we use mercurial here which seems easier but that could also just be coupled with me being better at that now and not having the learning curve that i had to go through with svn

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost
my company's BI team's SVN repo has no branches, tags, or trunk directory; they've put all their files and folders directly under the top-level directory. is it even possible to branch and merge without these folders?

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

we use mercurial here which seems easier but that could also just be coupled with me being better at that now and not having the learning curve that i had to go through with svn

mercurial is an ownage name for source control software

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

there was a place i worked at which used vault which would get an exclusive lock on a file when someone was editing it which was p good for a team of seven people

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

compuserved posted:

my company's BI team's SVN repo has no branches, tags, or trunk directory; they've put all their files and folders directly under the top-level directory. is it even possible to branch and merge without these folders?

svn has no built-in concept of branches or tags, it's just a file system. /trunk /branch and /tag are just conventions. you can move all the stuff into a /trunk dir, and create a /branch and /tag dir, commit it and fix the problem right now.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

svn has no built-in concept of branches or tags, it's just a file system. /trunk /branch and /tag are just conventions. you can move all the stuff into a /trunk dir, and create a /branch and /tag dir, commit it and fix the problem right now.

oh cool, thanks rotor.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bloody posted:

and my experiences with anything

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
What about TFSVC.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

how do svn migrations go anyway?

idk? migrations from what to what?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Shaggar posted:

idk? migrations from what to what?

Move from server A to server B with different hosts and poo poo. Say that you, VC Powerhouse™, acquire company Silicon Bubl™ and with luck, you both use SVN. You decide to move their SVN poo poo to your SVN poo poo so that the sysadmin dudes only have one set of servers to handle, in their own datacenters.

How does that go?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Also I just remembered that SVN locks are a thing because of the terrible copy/merge and uuugh

(this then brings me back to CVSNT and uuuuuuugh)

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
So the local repository thing git has seems like a great thing after all. Our remote is down since our systems architect felt like doing updates and changes at work with no notice again.

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

MononcQc posted:

Move from server A to server B with different hosts and poo poo. Say that you, VC Powerhouse™, acquire company Silicon Bubl™ and with luck, you both use SVN. You decide to move their SVN poo poo to your SVN poo poo so that the sysadmin dudes only have one set of servers to handle, in their own datacenters.

How does that go?

just copy + paste the repo dir from server to server. if they are different subversion versions, update them to the same version before copying.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

Also I just remembered that SVN locks are a thing because of the terrible copy/merge and uuugh

(this then brings me back to CVSNT and uuuuuuugh)

eh? you mean the svn lock command or something else?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

some people have programming jobs where they aren't allowed internet access

hosed up but true

this does make the "copy/paste from Snack Overflow" school of programming kinda redundant, unfortunately

majorly hosed up

it's just weird for me 'cause on any given day i could be using a bunch of languages and who can remember the method signature for function X in language Y?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

MononcQc posted:

How does that go?

it goes fine as long as you don't want them under the same repo. if you must have them in the same repo and retain history then it's hard but doable iirc

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Blinkz0rz posted:

majorly hosed up

it's just weird for me 'cause on any given day i could be using a bunch of languages and who can remember the method signature for function X in language Y?

i bet they buy a lot of books

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

it goes fine as long as you don't want them under the same repo. if you must have them in the same repo and retain history then it's hard but doable iirc

unless both companies have been working on the same exact module idk why you'd ever want to do that.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

unless both companies have been working on the same exact module idk why you'd ever want to do that.

and even then you'd either want the modules separate - thus two repos - or in one place, in which case merge & commit as usual

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah I think there are these weird people who have an aversion to repository count and try to stick everything into a single repo which is megafail

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Shaggar posted:

yeah I think there are these weird people who have an aversion to repository count and try to stick everything into a single repo which is megafail

you see this a lot in git workflows because git submodules are so hosed up

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i bet it also has to do w/ using bad languages w/ poorly defined library mechanisms + build systems instead of a java or c#

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

git submodules are so hosed up

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

git sucks because they had all these verbs from subversion they could've used but chose not to because they're loving linux programmers and it has to be different and clever

yes i work at a place which just switched from svn to git why do you ask

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 17, 2014

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

rotor posted:

god i miss branches being in actual different directories rather than janitoring one working copy and hoping nothing fucks up

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Shaggar posted:

I've sold monorepos to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook!

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
if you think monorepos are bad you probably never deploy or release software

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

the same software devs i sent my haskell source code to today use svn by taking their current project, putting it all into a zip file name <today's date>.zip, then adding that to the list of other zip files in trunk. version control!

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

the same software devs i sent my haskell source code to today use svn by taking their current project, putting it all into a zip file name <today's date>.zip, then adding that to the list of other zip files in trunk. version control!

i had a group project last year in university where people would create zips of the project and email them round to everyone

i then told them to use version control and they continued to zip the project and just push them to github :iiam:

Valeyard fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 17, 2014

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

no no, i mean source repos. Binary repos sure, you should only have the one.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
well, one release and one snapshot

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

tef posted:

svn:externals are great

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Valeyard posted:

i had a group project last year in university where people would create zips of the project and email them round to everyone

i then told them to use version control and they continued to zip the project and just push them to github

sounds like the same guys that work at my company except with svn instead of github

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just keep everything in one file, saves time and heartache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

Yeah no, you don't want to merge unrelated repos for that. I'm just wondering how it goes in general to migrate SVN poo poo. Like I've lived through migrations of CVS -> CVSNT, CVSNT -> SVN, git -> git and hg -> hg, but never svn -> svn, which is why I was asking about it.

• Locked thread