Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

quaunaut posted:

Holy God this is more than I expected it to be. Someone on Reddit said "Once you have been a space trucker and shot some people you've basically experienced the game."

Well, that's kind of true, but basically Elite is a game that you have to set your own goals for. There's no quest trains to follow to a raid boss - the game mainly appeals to people who enjoy sandboxes and can decide on their own what they want to do, whether that's "buy a bigger ship," "shoot all the ships," or whatever...though their is definitely room for larger ambitions like choosing a faction to align with and helping them literally take over an area of space.

I think once more people take to the idea of participating in the in-game events that the simulation and Frontier creates they will realize that Elite isn't a game that you win, it's a game that you experience. It's definitely a fun space-game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Now I know what I'm doing with my newly acquired viper..

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Pretty excited to play this game for real tonight. My Thrustmaster X-Flight HOTAS seems to work pretty well, although I need to finish mapping out all of the custom buttons to things that make sense for me. Plus get used to roll vs. yaw.

Is it true that the largest multiplayer only gets 32 players? That seems... small for the amount of space there is, and how large in-game groups seem to be.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Exioce posted:

The Mercenary paint job should be implemented by the end of this week. At present, only the Mercenary decals are available (three skulls).

Alright thanks, I'll chill my pants until I can make my spacemans look pretty.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SquadronROE posted:

Pretty excited to play this game for real tonight. My Thrustmaster X-Flight HOTAS seems to work pretty well, although I need to finish mapping out all of the custom buttons to things that make sense for me. Plus get used to roll vs. yaw.

Is it true that the largest multiplayer only gets 32 players? That seems... small for the amount of space there is, and how large in-game groups seem to be.

Groups can be large on paper but not all players are often in the same area together.

Hell, just pushing around the 4-5 systems I'm using to build my wallet right now I've only encountered (Or seen on my scanners) about 8 or so other real people.

The group I play with is about 30 strong but we're strung across systems from SOL to Eranin and beyond. There's never more than 2-3 of us within 20ly of each other.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

imperialparadox posted:

Well, that's kind of true, but basically Elite is a game that you have to set your own goals for. There's no quest trains to follow to a raid boss - the game mainly appeals to people who enjoy sandboxes and can decide on their own what they want to do, whether that's "buy a bigger ship," "shoot all the ships," or whatever...though their is definitely room for larger ambitions like choosing a faction to align with and helping them literally take over an area of space.

I think once more people take to the idea of participating in the in-game events that the simulation and Frontier creates they will realize that Elite isn't a game that you win, it's a game that you experience. It's definitely a fun space-game.

Totally. Just, I think their point of view is incredibly reductionist. It'd be like calling Half-Life a Doom Clone.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

This game looks kinda fun. I just wish developers would actually finish their games before releasing them.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Gonkish posted:

So if you're looking to grind up Federation rep, Zhen Dock at Xihe seems to like to spit out missions that ask for non-lethal weapon deliveries. Zhen Dock just so happens to sell non-lethal weapons. Some of these missions will pay you a good amount more than the market value of non-lethal weapons, netting you a tidy little profit for doing absolutely nothing. Plus, you get faction rep.

I like Xihe.

Zhen is also great for upgrades to the Asp, and sells a rare item. It's a shame that Harry's doesn't have these advantages.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Anybody found a good spot for grinding Empire rep yet?

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

quaunaut posted:

like calling Half-Life a Doom Clone.

How ignorant. It's Quake engine!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Frank Horrigan posted:

Previously I've just flown between Imperial system, doing various odd jobs until the local government turns friendly/green. Haven't flipped my overall imperial reputation yet, but I have noticed that it seems to take fewer and fewer missions to turn a local Imperial Group friendly, which has me hoping my overall reputation can't be far off from friendly now.

Jiblet
Jan 5, 2004

Limey Bastard
Can someone explain the terrible thread title?

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Frank Horrigan posted:

The only way to increase major faction rep seems to be to just keep on doing missions and trading for minor factions that are part of the Empire. Eventually it will increase from Neutral to Friendly.

To increase your rank (which seems largely independent of rep) you have to find specific missions that offer rank increase as a reward. Right now these are ridiculously rare for the Empire. People have had some luck finding them in Empire Dictatorships, but even then they are rare.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ok wait I guess I don't understand if this is an MMO or not, now. Some are talking about multiplayer like it's separate in an otherwise single-player game. Is the only way to see/play with other people really grouping?

Shadowlz posted:

This game looks kinda fun. I just wish developers would actually finish their games before releasing them.

I agree, but this with its flaws seems okay from the mix of constructive criticism and praise it's received so far.

IOW, definitely better than buying a game in alpha at full price on Steam only to realize way later the game has been abandoned by the developers.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 17, 2014

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

life is killing me posted:

Ok wait I guess I don't understand if this is an MMO or not, now. Some are talking about multiplayer like it's separate in an otherwise single-player game. Is the only way to see/play with other people really grouping?

No. There is also open play.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jiblet posted:

Apparently some people think the ship computer saying "Frameshift charge detected" sounds like that. I don't hear it. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Jiblet posted:

As far as I can tell unfunny people thought it was hilarious.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Elite is making me sad. I'm trying to find a spawn point closer to goonies but all I get is Kremainn. Every single time, no matter if I start a game in Private Group, solo or open. Always Kremainn.

I cannot for the life of me find any good trade routes up here, its all agri/resource extraction as far as the eye can see.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

NuckmasterJ posted:

Elite is making me sad. I'm trying to find a spawn point closer to goonies but all I get is Kremainn. Every single time, no matter if I start a game in Private Group, solo or open. Always Kremainn.

I cannot for the life of me find any good trade routes up here, its all agri/resource extraction as far as the eye can see.

The only difference between the modes are who you are grouped with. Open (everyone), Private Group (people in your friends/group list), Solo (yourself and npcs).
If you want to change your starting system you have to delete your save.

VVVV Well looks like you have a pilgrimage to make.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

The only difference between the modes are who you are grouped with. Open (everyone), Private Group (people in your friends/group list), Solo (yourself and npcs).
If you want to change your starting system you have to delete your save.

I have deleted it, 5 times. It always starts me back up here.

I just sell my Freagle and try to live life like a hermit out here every time.

Did the servers just go down for anyone else? I got kicked and now it's saying it cannot connect :(

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 17, 2014

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
So I presume you can't play in private server with your friends unless both are in same group?

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Most useful bind change I've made is using joy 10 as a modifier. I had previously had the hat for thrusters which left power distribution to my arrow keys, but now I can use the hat for both. Also being able to use joy 2 and 4 for cycling subtargets.

Also if you haven't got it, get voice attack as well. Oh and a PS eye and Delan clip for ghetto TrackIR.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Arcade posted:

Most useful bind change I've made is using joy 10 as a modifier. I had previously had the hat for thrusters which left power distribution to my arrow keys, but now I can use the hat for both. Also being able to use joy 2 and 4 for cycling subtargets.

Also if you haven't got it, get voice attack as well. Oh and a PS eye and Delan clip for ghetto TrackIR.

Oh voice attack, I need to check that out. My GF bought me a TrackIR (when I checked the price I face palmed a bit, but its her money so I guess I can't complain) and being able to freely track targets is the most awesome thing in the history of awesome. I can only imagine how nerdy voice attack will make me look when I'm yelling at my PC with my IR Clip stuck to my headphones.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Are the servers down?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

No. There is also open play.

What exactly is open play?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

BlueGrot posted:

Are the servers down?

Seems so. So glad this is online only :ughh:

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

BlueGrot posted:

Are the servers down?

Like that for me too...
Is there a server-status page for easy reference?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SquadronROE posted:

There's an option to get some yaw out of rolling and vice-versa. That might appeal to you.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Uh, I'm rather confused. I just killed two wanted pilots, one for 10k and another for 6k, went to a station, and found I had no bounties available to redeem. I got a 400cr fine for trespassing beforehand(forgot to request docking)- would that have canceled out my entire bounty haul?

Edit: And what the gently caress has caused my cargo scoop to be utterly worthless? I am hitting things literally right on the god drat money and nothin's goin'.

quaunaut fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 17, 2014

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Dabir posted:

There's an option to get some yaw out of rolling and vice-versa. That might appeal to you.

I'm thinking that would just screw up docking, but I'll play with that.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

quaunaut posted:

Uh, I'm rather confused. I just killed two wanted pilots, one for 10k and another for 6k, went to a station, and found I had no bounties available to redeem. I got a 400cr fine for trespassing beforehand(forgot to request docking)- would that have canceled out my entire bounty haul?

Was this in the same system? Bounties are tied to specific factions so you have to turn them in at a station related to that faction. Like if you pick up a bounty for an independent system, you will have to turn it in to that system.

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

quaunaut posted:

Edit: And what the gently caress has caused my cargo scoop to be utterly worthless? I am hitting things literally right on the god drat money and nothin's goin'.

You have to turn in bounties into the same faction they were given. On the transactions screen it will tell you what faction, so just look for a station of the same.

As for the scoop, maybe going too fast? Not sure. I haven't scooped much.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

BlueGrot posted:

Are the servers down?
They are working again. :)

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Arcade posted:

Also if you haven't got it, get voice attack as well.

http://www.twitch.tv/geekdomo/c/4798274
Skip to 0:33.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
I like roll + pitch on mouse. It just lets me pull off all kinds of fancy whirly poo poo out my rear end that I'm too clumsy to do if I keep it yaw + pitch on mouse and rolls on keyboard.

Yaw also feels pretty sluggish once you get used to rolling.

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

SquadronROE posted:

What exactly is open play?

Ghost of Eazy E posted:

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

lol, yeah definitely have to be choosy over what you use it for... Boost is one. Also eject cargo.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

hahahaha, appearently he even had it bound to no less than three different utterances. :v:
also isn't that the same guy i saw crashing his new cobra first thing on the stream when it was just out and took an eternity to grind for?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
This is precisely why I don't trust those voice commands :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So did I miss making your username/acct?

Seems to me when I first started it I was BACKER# 123456 or something. How do I check/change that?

To be clear, I haven't really played it other than a couple training missions at this point so I have yet to get into it.

• Locked thread