Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Haha unless Trion doesn't implement the new patches this game is going full P2W if it wasnt already. Underwear with stats on it, guaranteed trees, crystals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

New patch going out. I noticed this gem

quote:

* Teleport Book entries for houses that have been destroyed or had their owner changed since the location was recorded will no longer be a possible destination for teleportation.

As someone who owns farms all over, some specifically for the logistical advantage of being able to port close to a workbench, this is a really crappy change. I understand the change related to owner changes, but why do this for people who built a cottage, saved the teleport location, then replaced the property with a farm?

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

InternetJunky posted:

New patch going out. I noticed this gem

As someone who owns farms all over, some specifically for the logistical advantage of being able to port close to a workbench, this is a really crappy change. I understand the change related to owner changes, but why do this for people who built a cottage, saved the teleport location, then replaced the property with a farm?

Yeah... a lot of people have spread out properties for staging purposes also. It is an annoying change, although I am guessing it was never intended for a port to outlast the house. I can see why they don't want this. For example, what if your farm went delinquent and then someone else built a cottage there. You could port right in, and they couldn't block you buy changing permissions on the house.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Finndo posted:

Yeah... a lot of people have spread out properties for staging purposes also. It is an annoying change, although I am guessing it was never intended for a port to outlast the house. I can see why they don't want this. For example, what if your farm went delinquent and then someone else built a cottage there. You could port right in, and they couldn't block you buy changing permissions on the house.
They could have just limited the change to when the property owner changed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Finndo posted:

And then . . . ? You can't actually do anything to their house. Okay you could summon a cow and make it poop, I guess. Open a portal to their house, jump through with a bunch of your friends, and then murder each other so when they get home their house is full of bloodstains.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

Angela Christine posted:

And then . . . ? You can't actually do anything to their house. Okay you could summon a cow and make it poop, I guess. Open a portal to their house, jump through with a bunch of your friends, and then murder each other so when they get home their house is full of bloodstains.

Eh... you can get into their house. They are supposed to be able to control access.

Plus you are getting a benefit they didn't really intend -- I think the idea is that you are supposed to make choices between different designs depending on your needs. If you want a bed for labor, "shelter" (there is modest pvp defense), and a port, get a house. If you want to grow something, get a farm.

There's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just trying to guess at what their intentions were originally, and how this was probably a bug that they are just now getting around to fix. Which once again shows how poorly run the company is -- fixing a bug that by now everyone essentially considers a feature.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Finndo posted:

Eh... you can get into their house. They are supposed to be able to control access.

Plus you are getting a benefit they didn't really intend -- I think the idea is that you are supposed to make choices between different designs depending on your needs. If you want a bed for labor, "shelter" (there is modest pvp defense), and a port, get a house. If you want to grow something, get a farm.

There's no right or wrong answer here, I'm just trying to guess at what their intentions were originally, and how this was probably a bug that they are just now getting around to fix. Which once again shows how poorly run the company is -- fixing a bug that by now everyone essentially considers a feature.

I can get into any house. :smug: My computer is a POS so I can run into your house before the doors load. Sometimes I get stuck in the walls though.

Holy elk balls, this is scheduled to be a 7 hour downtime. I guess quality takes time. Here's what we're getting for christmas: http://archeagedatabase.net/us/item/31112/

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Trion doesn't exactly strike me as an organization that has a crackerjack database team. "Whoops we hosed up, servers are gone for three days". They have a poor grasp of timing as well apparently. Outside of that accidental gently caress-up I don't think they have ever done any sort of server work that wasn't in the middle of the day.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!
During the $150 closed beta test, those of us who joined up late (a month after launch for me) were poo poo out of luck when it came to finding plots of land for farms and houses. Most of us were forced out at low levels to the high level PVP zones and were constantly being killed while just trying to milk some stupid cows. If I were to start playing this game again post-release, would this be the case again since I am starting late? Are there any plots of land available in the friendly zones at all?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Are there any numbers for how good/bad retention has been in the wake of WOD's release and the Auroria clusterfuck?

I was considering coming back to AA for a bit if XL/Trion managed to unfuck their situation, but WoD managed to suck me in enough to resub. poo poo, with the exception of open world pvp naval and otherwise, WoD is doing the things that I liked about Archeage better than Archeage ever did.

Also my server apparently turned into two loving giant power blocs and anyone who is Non-pirate east is regularly poo poo on due to the creditcard warriors all being pirate while the West still has the vast majority of players.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
You can still find free safe 8x8 and unsafe 16x16 plots on low population servers. Plus land prices are falling due to the "new shiny" factor wearing off and people moving on to other games. Really it has never been a better time to find land as a casual/late player.

I don't know what it's like on high population servers though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The thunderstruck-pocalypse gutted the "As much land as you can possibly get and plant nothing but trees everywhere" approach to money making, shortly after which people started dumping land left, right and center since one thunderstruck couldn't fund every last tax cert for everything they owned for a month. Land started going up for sale and there was actual market valuation, not just 'ahahahaha gently caress you no I want it all and more'. They still have the same kind of lovely land claiming system that loving Ultima Online came out with in the '90s so packet injectors with low ping have ruled that market, but land could at least be purchased from them since you'd never actually manage to get collapsing land. A 16x16 in non-prime positions, even in peaceful zones, goes for a few hundred gold.

This patch is supposedly adding a 5 second cool down for land placement attempts. Presumably to counter packet injecting spam scripts but if the past is any indication it will somehow manage to be client side with no server checks or logging then there will be a hack out for it in about negative two days and nothing will improve. If you somehow have a sense of optimism that hasn't been beaten out of you yet, you could give it a week or two and maybe the entire land-grabbing system will be unfucked allowing an actual market to set the prices instead of hackers and script kiddies just looking to flip plots for profit.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

SumYungGui posted:

hackers and script kiddies just looking to flip plots for profit.

Seems like much hasn't changed from beta, then.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Prophecy120 posted:

During the $150 closed beta test, those of us who joined up late (a month after launch for me) were poo poo out of luck when it came to finding plots of land for farms and houses. Most of us were forced out at low levels to the high level PVP zones and were constantly being killed while just trying to milk some stupid cows. If I were to start playing this game again post-release, would this be the case again since I am starting late? Are there any plots of land available in the friendly zones at all?
It's a pretty different situation now. There are still some land areas that are high demand, but if you just are interested in playing farmville then you should be able to find non-pvp plots, although you probably will have to buy them unless you're on a less populated server. If you don't mind going to pvp zones then you can probably get land practically free. A goon just quit a few days ago and was offering a free BUILT thatched farmhouse in auroria and no one was interested. Farming in pvp zones is not really a problem. My low-level alt farms my 5 windscour lands a few times a day and I've been killed maybe 5 times in the last month. It's a non-issue.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

InternetJunky posted:

I understand the change related to owner changes, but why do this for people who built a cottage, saved the teleport location, then replaced the property with a farm?

Because they intended the ports to be tied to fireplaces and that is why you need the log and ink to record the location?

People love to complain about exploits and hacks, but once their exploit is closed, "Trion has gone too far!" This only effects the massive land barons who are a minority in the game anyway.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
still

its pretty funny that they decide to crack down on people just using teleports to access their farms easier rather than like, the million ways the game is legitimately actually broken

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
For anyone who is interested the jury queue on Kyrios aka the highest population NA server, is down to 381 on login. RIP.

Finndo
Dec 27, 2005

Title Text goes here.

nelson posted:

You can still find free safe 8x8 and unsafe 16x16 plots on low population servers. Plus land prices are falling due to the "new shiny" factor wearing off and people moving on to other games. Really it has never been a better time to find land as a casual/late player.

On Aranzeb, you can get a farm in a safe zone for 400-500 gold, less for a demo plot. (Some guy was selling plots in Two Crowns, Solz and Lilyut for 250g apiece yesterday.)

Supposedly today's patch implemented a 5 second delay on clicks to place land, that may also give you a shot against the script kiddies for buildings that are demo-ing due to nonpayment of taxes.

If you paid $150 for beta access and haven't yet played in retail/release, that means you are sitting on roughly 11k in cash shop credits, which you can use to buy items to sell in game. You could easily get 1k+ gold from those items, just do a bit of research on selling prices.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Oil! posted:

Because they intended the ports to be tied to fireplaces and that is why you need the log and ink to record the location?

People love to complain about exploits and hacks, but once their exploit is closed, "Trion has gone too far!" This only effects the massive land barons who are a minority in the game anyway.
Yes, clearly porting to a spot that's saved in your teleport book is a "exploit and hack". You're pretty ignorant if you believe the only people this impacts are land barons. Anyone who has a stray farm far away from a port location is affected.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

For anyone who is interested the jury queue on Kyrios aka the highest population NA server, is down to 381 on login. RIP.

this is pretty funny because while it doesn't show the entire population it gives a decent indication of what the pops are like

considering this should show a good chunk of the players online in that faction at the moment that is hilariously low

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

You'd think they'd at least attempt to salvage this game by focusing on fixing things that actually matter, not the portal issue. Then again this is Trion we're talking about, and they've failed in nearly every way with ArcheAge. I'd wager that 98% of the people who have quit will never come back to the game, that's how bad Trion messed up. I know, "no getting mad about video games" and all, but I'm pretty bitter about spending so much money on AA and will be for quite a while.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

InternetJunky posted:

Yes, clearly porting to a spot that's saved in your teleport book is a "exploit and hack". You're pretty ignorant if you believe the only people this impacts are land barons. Anyone who has a stray farm far away from a port location is affected.

InternetJunky posted:

"Stray farms" totally sounds like something people with only 1 or 2 plots of land would say.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Oil! posted:

"Stray farms" totally sounds like something people with only 1 or 2 plots of land would say.
Why are you defending this change? I'm genuinely curious.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

InternetJunky posted:

Why are you defending this change? I'm genuinely curious.

Bug fixing should generally be encouraged. I'm not sure in what world being able to teleport to a building that doesn't exist anymore wouldn't be considered a bug, but here we are.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bauxite posted:

Bug fixing should generally be encouraged. I'm not sure in what world being able to teleport to a building that doesn't exist anymore wouldn't be considered a bug, but here we are.

but still, it funny that out of all the broke poo poo they decided was a priority, its like the most harmless 'exploit' ever

instead of all the broke rear end poo poo happening regularly in the game

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eonwe posted:

but still, it funny that out of all the broke poo poo they decided was a priority, its like the most harmless 'exploit' ever

instead of all the broke rear end poo poo happening regularly in the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncFCdCjBqcE

Khako
Dec 24, 2008

Lee #61

Eonwe posted:

this is pretty funny because while it doesn't show the entire population it gives a decent indication of what the pops are like

considering this should show a good chunk of the players online in that faction at the moment that is hilariously low

I don't think it is, most people got the cloak then stopped caring about the 50 crime point limit for juries. There's really no benefit to keep doing juries except for the costume and club.

Tepplen
Jan 9, 2012

Words of Friendship!
So I'm going to be playing this game tonight for the first time and I was thinking of doing Battlerage/Songcraft/Auramancy, on a scale of 1 to 10 how stupid of an idea is this?

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
Aranzeb's east jury queue is like 450 after 30 minutes logged in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Pretty dumb. Your stat requirements will be all over the place and song craft is kind of a bitch to integrate with anything else unless you use the passive mostly. Song craft 'performances' will break if you do almost anything else.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

animaCartographer posted:

So I'm going to be playing this game tonight for the first time and I was thinking of doing Battlerage/Songcraft/Auramancy, on a scale of 1 to 10 how stupid of an idea is this?

I think it will work great. Put most of your points into battlerage and auramancy. Use songcraft to help you travel faster.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

http://www.reddit.com/r/archeage/comments/2pmifm/sooo_my_60k_carpentry_shit_out_a_miracle_whats/cmy2jdu RIP

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

lol

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Underwear with stats on it

I hope they have some with a castable charm effect. Or force the pike animation.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I'm kinda surprised I never saw any nazi uniform imagery on custom costumes.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I saw a few Nazi flags also confederate ones

Infyrno
Jul 24, 2003

The Duke
Im on NA servers, just went to update and for the first time had the problem others have had in the past with the download speed suddenly being single digit kb/s, when normally its multiple MB/s. Ive never seen anything like this before, so if this has just happened to anyone else, I fixed it by manually putting in dns servers in my ipv4 section of my LAN adaptor propterties, following directions linked below. I didn't expect anything, but it immediately fixed the problem.

Directions were from here.
https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/393

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Charles Bukowski posted:

I'm kinda surprised I never saw any nazi uniform imagery on custom costumes.

You missed out on the nazi army in the first week. Also stop playing this bad game you bads.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm glad to see Trion understand the true spirit of the holidays: murdering strangers to steal their decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Um, anyone read korean? I got one of these for not-christmas:

Pretty sure it says "you're gay" but I'd appreciate confirmation.

• Locked thread