Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jsor posted:

I like pretty much everything the first time I see it unless it's one of the very few things unlucky enough to trigger a gut hatred. I really only can do "this episode was bad" in retrospect. If I was posting in Who threads at the time, I probably would have been like "Wow, Love and Monsters was pretty okay, huh guys? I really liked the focus on how peoples friendships can grow beyond the reasons they originally got together. :v:"

I'm pretty similar on both sides of the scale. Unless something sparks up as Pretty drat lovely really quickly (like Forest of the Night), or as really good really fast (like Flatline), I'll usually enjoy it well enough, but time will tell if it's actually good or terrible.

It's not just Who that does that, either. I thought Metroid: Other M was pretty great until like, a week after finishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Fil5000 posted:

I've said it before, but it bears saying again - my first Who memory is of Terror of the Vervoids. It's a wonder ANYONE that got into Who in the mid 80s hung around.

:bahgawd: [effortpost about postcolonial racial politics in Time-Flight]

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Ooh, shiny.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got around to watching Kill the Moon the other day and haven't witnessed such an unrelenting flood of bullshit since Helen Raynor's episodes. Thumbs-up to everything else, though!

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Cleretic posted:

I'm pretty similar on both sides of the scale. Unless something sparks up as Pretty drat lovely really quickly (like Forest of the Night), or as really good really fast (like Flatline), I'll usually enjoy it well enough, but time will tell if it's actually good or terrible.

It's not just Who that does that, either. I thought Metroid: Other M was pretty great until like, a week after finishing it.

Admittedly, when something hits my "gut hate" button, it doesn't always mean it's bad. Maybe it's correlated, but not a certainty. I really, really didn't like Day of the Doctor until I mulled over it for a while. I was expecting it to be as masturbatory as big franchise anniversaries usually are; something that brought everyone the Doctor has ever heard of on board for some nonsensical plot like a higher budget Journey's End. I really didn't like how what I expected there mostly just boiled down to stock footage of a few Doctors for a minute. It took me weeks to forgive it for that and realize that it's actually a good episode.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This reminds me, have we actually seen Capaldi's time vortex?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MikeJF posted:

Man, post-watershed standards are really permissive...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MikeJF posted:

CobiWann posted:

Man, post-watershed standards are really permissive...

I think they only showed that in episodes streamed on Christmas Island.

So you don't have to spend hours figuring out wtf I'm on about, web addresses for Christmas Island end in .cx

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The End of the World was a great episode, and now that it's beginning to look a bit dated it acts even more like a cool bridgehead between classic and nu Who.

Boy, I really hates this.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jsor posted:

I think they only showed that in episodes streamed on Christmas Island.

The Ring of Rassilon?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If anything I like this even less than the current season 8 opening titles, which I'm not a fan of at all :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

egon_beeblebrox posted:

"Circular Time" may be my favorite Fifth Doctor story (stories) for a lot of reasons, and the voice actors they chose are only a small part.

DoctorWhat posted:

Winter is very good and very special. I can't wait for you to hear it.

Both Autumn and Winter were really good stories. The former is one of the few times a companion experienced romance that didn't make me cringe. He was an irritating goofball, but it's kind of okay. It was what Nyssa needed at the time. Winter reminded me of the end of (spoilers both for the story and an old novel) Passage, by Connie Willis, in that it was a humane way of looking at a person's thoughts as they die, with the added Doctor Who twist of there being a villain involved . I love the implication that the Fifth Doctor not only died to save Peri, but is also choosing to continue to live, and to travel through "circular time," so that he can save her.

I also heard the first part of Blood of the Daleks. It's interesting how much they're going for the feel of the new show with Eighth Doctor Adventures. I'm not sure how I feel about Lucie yet, but she definitely has potential. I keep wondering if they'll explain what happens to Charlie and C'Rizz and do a sort of lead-in to the Lucie situation in the monthly range. I guess I'll find out! :munch:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

“British pop tart,”

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kelloggs-Hot-Fudge-Sundae-Tarts/dp/B003TKNYV0/ref=sr_1_8

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Lucie's...not great for the first part of the first series, but once they figure out what they're doing and stop making her quite so massively abrasive she becomes the best Eighth Doctor companion.

Re: Charlie and C'rizz - there's no lead-in or -out, they're not mentioned again as far as I recall.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

Both Autumn and Winter were really good stories. The former is one of the few times a companion experienced romance that didn't make me cringe. He was an irritating goofball, but it's kind of okay. It was what Nyssa needed at the time. Winter reminded me of the end of (spoilers both for the story and an old novel) Passage, by Connie Willis, in that it was a humane way of looking at a person's thoughts as they die, with the added Doctor Who twist of there being a villain involved . I love the implication that the Fifth Doctor not only died to save Peri, but is also choosing to continue to live, and to travel through "circular time," so that he can save her.

I also heard the first part of Blood of the Daleks. It's interesting how much they're going for the feel of the new show with Eighth Doctor Adventures. I'm not sure how I feel about Lucie yet, but she definitely has potential. I keep wondering if they'll explain what happens to Charlie and C'Rizz and do a sort of lead-in to the Lucie situation in the monthly range. I guess I'll find out! :munch:

Winter made me cry. Crying about Captain Beige! I can't believe it.

Anyway,

CHARLEY GODDAMN POLLARD IS IN DOCTOR WHO LEGACY

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 17, 2014

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

They have that flavor here in America! I got one from WaWa for breakfast this morning!

Instead of eating something healthy. :smith:

DoctorWhat posted:

CHARLEY GODDAMN POLLARD IS IN DOCTOR WHO LEGACY

I like this post. And that picture. Good to see the Edwardian Adventuress get some recognition. Now, let's get Hex in there, the Doctor needs a strong male companion!

And if anyone cares, Nicholas Briggs is doing a Twitch interview at 8 pm GMT and will talk a bit about Ms. Pollard in the game among other things...

http://www.twitch.tv/theadiposetv

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

CobiWann posted:

They have that flavor here in America! I got one from WaWa for breakfast this morning!

Instead of eating something healthy. :smith:

I like this post. And that picture. Good to see the Edwardian Adventuress get some recognition. Now, let's get Hex in there, the Doctor needs a strong male companion!

And if anyone cares, Nicholas Briggs is doing a Twitch interview at 8 pm GMT and will talk a bit about Ms. Pollard in the game among other things...

http://www.twitch.tv/theadiposetv

Nick Briggs... on Twitch? That is... strange. Decidedly strange.

But if it means we get a series of "The Tenth Planet Cybermen Let's Plays", then I'm all for it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "The End of the World", though when it came out, 13-year old me was still trying to get to grips with the idea that the new series wouldn't be using four-part serials. :v:

I've heard a funny story that nobody working on the show had ever had to manage to a science-fiction programme before, so they collectively panicked and spent most of the season one effects budget on their second episode. I don't know if that's true, but it should be. Either way, they managed well with what they had for the rest of Eccleston's stint on the series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

"You don't like the clocks in the current opening? Well gently caress you, here's clocks AND GEARS."

:suicide:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

But if it means we get a series of "The Tenth Planet Cybermen Let's Plays", then I'm all for it.

Nicholas Briggs as the Cybermen with a Let's Play of Bioshock.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'd like the clocks and planets a lot more if they were suggested in the vortex, rather than being literal obvious cg objects.

As they are it looks cheesy, no matter how nicely rendered it is, if you made it ghostly images in the vortex though, like the Doctors face it, it could be really cool.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Big Mean Jerk posted:

"You don't like the clocks in the current opening? Well gently caress you, here's clocks AND GEARS."

:suicide:

The gears are already in the opening.

He's just taken the opening and taken time to render it better and fix some obvious lovely CGI. The problem now is that he's taste for neon and complexity makes the opening segment look like a loving mess.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
Charley in Legacy is awesome news! I guess this is what's gonna make me finally download the game.

DoctorWhat posted:

"WE MUZZZT SURVIVE, BUT NOTE THAT I WILL NOT BE USING SAVE STATEZZ"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE HYOO-MAN WILL SURRENDER TO THE MIGHT OF ULF-RICK STORRRMCLOAK!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!!

Your Destruction has increased to 99.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Speaking of games...

“What if there were a game you didn’t know you were playing? Where you didn’t know the aim and you hadn’t seen the rules?”

Charlotte Pollard arrives in a toyshop, but she doesn’t know where she is – or even who she is. The mysterious owner wants to play games. He’s the Celestial Toymaker, and he has already defeated the Doctor, whose essence is hidden inside a ventriloquist’s doll.

The Doctor is gone. The TARDIS is lost. But the game is only just beginning...
India Fisher is the companion in Solitaire.

X X X X X

Cast

India Fisher (Charley Pollard)
David Bailie (The Celestial Toymaker)

Written by: John Dorney
Directed by: Nicholas Briggs

Trailer - http://www.bigfinish.com/releases/popout/solitaire-488

X X X X X

Amnesia and the Eighth Doctor go hand-in-hand. So it’s no surprise when one Charlotte Pollard wakes up not knowing who she is or where she is. The “where” quickly becomes apparent; a toy shop. The owner of the shop is pleasant enough, if a little cryptic, offering her various toys and games that might pique her interest. His interest in her, however, isn’t as a customer, but as a potential player. The toy shop and the storeroom behind is an interdimensional playing field. Charley, in order to survive, must play the game. But in a game where she doesn’t know the rules, and every wrong guess leads her closer to being removed from existence, is there any way for Charley to best her opponent?

Starring a Big Finish companion as well as a memorable television villain, Solitaire is less of a Companion Chronicle and more of a full-fledged Eighth Doctor audio. Taking place between Embrace the Darkness and The Time of the Daleks, Solitaire is a two-hander play, where only a pair of characters interact through its runtime. Penned by Big Finish veteran writer and actor John Dorney (among whose writing credits are The Wrath of the Iceni and The King of Sontar), Solitaire has a simple plot, but a pair of amazing performances that anchor the entire serial.

The Celestial Toymaker is an old Doctor Who villain. And by “old,” I mean that the Toymaker’s initial appearance was against the First Doctor all the way back in 1966! Originally played by Michael Gough, The Celestial Toymaker saw its namesake, an immortal being with godlike powers (if you’re thinking of Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation, you’re not too far off) kidnap the Doctor and his companions. The Toymaker forced the Doctor to complete a 1023-move Tower of Hanoi game while also running his two companions through a series of deadly games. This turned out to be the Toymaker’s only appearance on television. His next appearance would have been in 1985’s The Nightmare Fair with the Sixth Doctor and Peri, but Michael Grade’s forced hiatus of the show nixed those plans. However, his one appearance was so memorable in the minds of young viewers that the Toymaker appeared throughout the years in several novels and comic strips, as well as making a surprise appearance in the Seventh Doctor story The Magic Mousetrap.

The original actor for the Celestial Toymaker was Michael Gough, known for his appearances in several Hammer Horror movies as well as serving as Alfred Pennyworth in the Michael Keaton Batman movies, who sadly passed away in 2011. For Solitaire, the part of the Celestial Toymaker was played by David Bailie. Familiar to older viewers as the villain in the classic Fourth Doctor The Robots of Death and to newer viewers as the mute pirate Cotton from the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise, as well as an award winning photographer, Bailie dives into the part with the gusto and condescension that the part demands. From the get go, there’s menace in the words of the Toymaker as he gently chides Charlotte with a series of riddles and shows her several games she might wish to buy. The listener knows that’s something up with the Toymaker and the shop from the very moment he opens his mouth, but the switch from “quirky” to “villain” happens over enough time that it’s not drawn out and still feels natural. The Toymaker lords over Charley, taunting her about whether or not he’s telling the truth, whether or not she’s doing the right thing or something worthless, and even about whether or not she’s still playing the game. Even when events begin spiraling out of control, Bailie keeps up the sense that’s HE’s the one in control, still calling the shots as Charley proves him wrong time and time again. In one audio, Bailie makes the Celestial Toymaker a villain to remember, and anyone who’s interested is encouraged to seek out the Big Finish “Lost Story” range production of The Nightmare Fair with Bailie, Nicola Bryant, and Colin Baker.

India Fisher has been with Big Finish since 2001 and the Eighth Doctor Storm Warning and will be staring in an upcoming series of solo adventures taking place after her time with the Doctor. Solitaire is the equivalent of a “Doctor-lite” episode of the television series such as Turn Left, in which the Doctor is “present,” but not a vital part of the story. This story is all about Charley, which does make it a Companion Chronicle, and it goes a long way in showing just how simply awesome Charley is as a companion. Charley, from the very beginning, shows just how clever she is as she deduces where she is. She might not know just what happened to her, but she spends her time with the “game” trying to escape the toy shop, moving boxes, using a makeshift magnet to lift a metal bar, and so on. Her verbal sparring with Bailie is a wonder to listen to as well.

quote:

“How many four letter words are there in the English language?”

“I’m thinking of quite a few right now.”

Fisher gets across Charley’s intuitiveness, her sense of determination and stiff upper lip in the face of adversity, and most of all, a general sense of “screw it, let’s see if this works.” The Eighth Doctor’s ability to improvise has definitely rubbed off on her…a shout out goes to Fisher as well, providing the voice of the Eighth Doctor via voicing a creepy-rear end puppet, helping put the Doctor in the story without Paul McGann’s presence.

The sound effects help with the setting – a toy store that periodically shrinks over time, complete with splintering wood and cracking plaster, to “encourage” its players, complete with a booming voice extolling “PLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY.” We have crashing boxes, toys breaking and shattering, pieces spilling on the floor, and a breaking window that reveals the “empty void” outside. It all comes together in a very nice package. The only drawback is the key piece of the entire game. If this has been a television episode, the secret could have been figured out the first moment the store shrank. But since it’s audio, it works and helps the listener go along to the “eureka” moment during the play’s climax.

For an hour of your time, Solitaire is a great piece of audio and a wonderful story worth the price. Just listening to India Fisher and David Bailie square off is wonderful, but the rest of the story’s pieces serve to elevate this serial to that of a minor classic.

Synopsis – No Doctor, just Charley and a memorable villain completion against each other serve to make Solitaire a game well worth playing. 5/5.

Next up - Within the dingy corridors of the artificial biosphere, the lone survivor of a devastating crash has expertly wormed his way into the lives of the colony's personnel. A scientist known as Davros,,,

Colin Baker is the Doctor in…The Juggernauts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
:staredog:

quote:

the Doctor, whose essence is hidden inside a ventriloquist’s doll.
:stonk:

just...why...

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Santee I get paid on Friday and may god have mercy on your soul.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Synopsis – No Doctor, just Charley and a memorable villain completion against each other serve to make Solitaire a game well worth playing. 5/5.

Haha, I kinda want to listen to it based on this mad loving CD cover alone, but it sounds like it's actually a good story to boot!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I can confirm that Solitaire is Good.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Cleretic posted:

I also find most episodes enjoyable the first time I watch them, and will think they're great until someone points out the flaws. I usually have a really good suspension of disbelief and won't notice any plotholes etc unless they're really bad. That happened twice this season, shooting the golden arrow at the spaceship in Robot of Sherwood, and "it's an egg!" in Kill the Moon, I screamed WHAT!?! at my screen for the both of those.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

According to Nick Briggs on that livestream, there's gonna be a BIG FINISH HUMBLE BUNDLE FOR CHRISTMAS!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

According to Nick Briggs on that livestream, there's gonna be a BIG FINISH HUMBLE BUNDLE FOR CHRISTMAS!

Awesome.

Although I hope they don't do that thing they do with comics where they just load a whole bunch of the first parts of multi-part stories.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

DoctorWhat posted:

drat it, I can't afford this...if only I had some kind of time machine or mathematical genius to manipulate the stock market...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CobiWann posted:

drat it, I can't afford this...if only I had some kind of time machine or mathematical genius to manipulate the stock market...

It's a humble bundle, the most basic option is $1.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Well I'll stand by my early support of Rose. My biggest issues with her was how she fell in love with the 10th Doctor, became the Most Important Person In The World (til Clara anyway), and just the whole gadding around the Universe like a couple of smug twits thing. Eccleston Era Rose was pretty good.

CobiWann posted:

Speaking of games...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:staredog:

:stonk:

just...why...

Just think about this...where is her hand?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

Just think about this...where is her hand?

It's Scherzo all over again!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

It’s why I will never understand “hate watching.” Good television is worth discussing after the fact. Bad television deserves to be forgotten after the episode ends. Except, of course, for Timelash.

By-and-large I concur, but every once in a long while you find something so utterly awful that it fascinates.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I'm sure it's a fine audio, but I'm going to be seeing that dummy when I close my eyes tonight.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Oh, come on. It's just a puppet! Name me ONE time through all of this show's run that a puppet's been evil or creepy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

CobiWann posted:

Oh, come on. It's just a puppet! Name me ONE time through all of this show's run that a puppet's been evil or creepy!

There's an easy joke in here somewhere about bad acting or special effects, but I can't find it.

• Locked thread