Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Just started getting into this game and the kids decided to take the tie fighters out of the coreset and now ive got 4 wings needing a re-attachment.

Any ideas on a type of glue I can throw onto these mini's to put em back together? Tried Krazy glue which was all I had in the house and it wouldnt bond at all. Couldn't find a tube of superglue, but I'm gonna go to the lgs and buy some stuff tomorrow. If there's a specific type any of ya'all have had luck with I'll snag that.

Gonna try to pickup a Falcon or A-wing set tomorrow at Barnes and noble. Any other harder to find sets I should keep an eye out besides those two?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Interceptor and TIE Advanced.

So I've been playing in an X-Wing League here in KC, and we just entered our season-capping single-elimination playoff. I've had some pretty good fun running three ship Rebel builds, and finally settled on this one (which I can't change now, even though I've got some better ideas for it).

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-D2 (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Expose (4)

Corran Horn (35)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire Control System (2)

Total: 100

In hindsight, I'd put Expose on Corran to get it for two shots when he fires. I don't know whether I'd put VI on Wedge at that point, or leave it off for an Initiative bid. I think I'd put it on in order to put a few shots into uncloaked phantoms and gently caress initiative, but I'm unsure. This list as is gave me a win against the 2 seed in the tournament, though, so I'm happy with its performance already.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Langolas posted:

Just started getting into this game and the kids decided to take the tie fighters out of the coreset and now ive got 4 wings needing a re-attachment.

Any ideas on a type of glue I can throw onto these mini's to put em back together? Tried Krazy glue which was all I had in the house and it wouldnt bond at all. Couldn't find a tube of superglue, but I'm gonna go to the lgs and buy some stuff tomorrow. If there's a specific type any of ya'all have had luck with I'll snag that.

Gonna try to pickup a Falcon or A-wing set tomorrow at Barnes and noble. Any other harder to find sets I should keep an eye out besides those two?

I used Galeforce 9 hobby glue to put a B-wing laser back on one of the S-foils. I had it left over from putting together warhammer40k minis, it's the normal stuff my hobby shop here sells. Just a tiny drop, didn't even need to use quick-set on it. Seems to be holding up fine a few days later.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Icon Of Sin posted:

I used Galeforce 9 hobby glue to put a B-wing laser back on one of the S-foils. I had it left over from putting together warhammer40k minis, it's the normal stuff my hobby shop here sells. Just a tiny drop, didn't even need to use quick-set on it. Seems to be holding up fine a few days later.

Awesome thanks for the feedback. Tomorrow begins the hunt for a normal priced Falcon or two. Found an unused Barnes and Noble gift card and now I have something to use it with

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is interceptor rare again? Picked one up because the now ex wanted to fly a quad of squints but it never got opened.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I have a question regarding this game, mainly on how to expand it from the X-wing vs. 2 Tie fighter set?

I know of a friend who rather likes the game, and also plays it with his significant other. But since the game is relatively pricey, they haven't expanded on it yet. Basically I'm looking to gift them a couple of new fighters for Christmas. But since I'm clueless about the game, I could use advice. What would be a good way to expand, while keeping the Empire vs. Rebels setup mostly balanced? Extra points for keeping it not too pricey. :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Attestant posted:

I have a question regarding this game, mainly on how to expand it from the X-wing vs. 2 Tie fighter set?

I know of a friend who rather likes the game, and also plays it with his significant other. But since the game is relatively pricey, they haven't expanded on it yet. Basically I'm looking to gift them a couple of new fighters for Christmas. But since I'm clueless about the game, I could use advice. What would be a good way to expand, while keeping the Empire vs. Rebels setup mostly balanced? Extra points for keeping it not too pricey. :)

The price part is gonna be hard given most of the old sets are still out of print, waiting for a new batch to hit stores.

I would suggest the TIE Interceptor expansion and the Y-Wing expansion if you want to keep things cheap, though. They aren't the best, or even the most interesting, but they are good cheap first options. The TIE Interceptor has one of the best pilots in the game in it, and the Y-Wing introduces turrets and can take some hits.

I have no idea how much these run right now given they are out of print, though.

edit: VVV yeah if YW and TI are going for so much may as well get the aces sets for good value.

alg fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 9, 2014

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
There are a couple of inties on eBay for $15 plus shipping ($6) at the moment wow, those went quick. I decided to wait until CSI or MM have them back, whenever that may be.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 9, 2014

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
The Interceptors and Y-Wings are going for around $20-$30 on amazon right now. You can't find em really anywhere else either because they're out of print like you said. I'd prolly say in terms of keeping it cheap, go for the Rebel Aces and Imperial Aces set. Each one costs $20 on coolstuff so $40 total which is about the same as another core set, and you get 2 ships in each set instead of just 1 for a total of 4, all of which would be new ships instead of just more x wings or tie fighters.

You could also just go with the tie fighter and x wing expansions. This is kind of the boring option cause it's just 2 ships they already have but both are really good and add some new pilots, plus they're pretty easy to find unlike some of the other early wave stuff.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'm mostly at the mercy of local games shops, but they also tend to have good stocks of even older stuff, because scenes tend to be smaller here.

I'll look those up, but are there any other highlights worth mentioning? I see a second core set being recommended as well, but I'd prefer something different to keep it exciting.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.
I've got a tournament this weekend, and I'm really interested in using the Decimator, and really trying to use anything that isn't Fat Han (or some variation thereof). Trying to decide between:

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Mara Jade (3)
Rebel Captive (3)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Academy Pilot (12)

Academy Pilot (12)

Total: 98

or

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Rebel Captive (3)

Captain Oicunn (42)
Intimidation (2)
Mara Jade (3)

Total: 100

Suggestions? Also, the tournament is doubling as a food drive, so players can trade in cans of food for tokens that allow you to re-roll a single die. There doesn't seem to be an upward limit on how many cans you can turn in for tokens, what's the maximum amount of cans one could bring without looking like a tool who's trying to game the system?

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

Suggestions? Also, the tournament is doubling as a food drive, so players can trade in cans of food for tokens that allow you to re-roll a single die. There doesn't seem to be an upward limit on how many cans you can turn in for tokens, what's the maximum amount of cans one could bring without looking like a tool who's trying to game the system?

gently caress the system, bring all the cans. Win and feel good for helping the needy.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SageNytell posted:

gently caress the system, bring all the cans. Win and feel good for helping the needy.

This. You're dropping what's potentially a few meals on someone who needs it, gently caress anyone that gives you poo poo for changing a few dice rolls over that.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

SageNytell posted:

Bring a bunch of cash and ask for tokens equivalent to the cans it could buy, since the food bank knows what they need better than you.

Ballpoint Penguin
Feb 12, 2004

Awakening the survivor from his frozen bacta prison, he learned a Deathstar had destroyed Dagobah long ago. He took it well, I guess.

SageNytell posted:

Icon Of Sin posted:

This. You're dropping what's potentially a few meals on someone who needs it, gently caress anyone that gives you poo poo for changing a few dice rolls over that.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Bring a bunch of cash and ask for tokens equivalent to the cans it could buy, since the food bank knows what they need better than you.

These are all great points, and I agree 100%, thanks. I'll need a crap load of tokens anyway as I am super good at rolling terribly.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
The cash thing is hard as gently caress to manage receipts for and poo poo, I would not do that. I would load up on some cans and "game the system" as hard as you can afford, that's kind of the point.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Truck up with the bed full of cans.

It's charitable giving. It would be nice to donate cash so the food bank doesn't end up with a truckload of corn but yeah, cash is a hassle for liability and tax reasons.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

alg posted:

The price part is gonna be hard given most of the old sets are still out of print, waiting for a new batch to hit stores.

I would suggest the TIE Interceptor expansion and the Y-Wing expansion if you want to keep things cheap, though. They aren't the best, or even the most interesting, but they are good cheap first options. The TIE Interceptor has one of the best pilots in the game in it, and the Y-Wing introduces turrets and can take some hits.

I have no idea how much these run right now given they are out of print, though.

edit: VVV yeah if YW and TI are going for so much may as well get the aces sets for good value.

Buy the Aces for sure. Mini market has them for 20 bucks each. Amazon might have them at a similar price point.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ballpoint Penguin posted:

These are all great points, and I agree 100%, thanks. I'll need a crap load of tokens anyway as I am super good at rolling terribly.

Double check that they "qualify" for the purpose of the tournament, but jars of baby food are gold to most food banks. Tokens and a solid donation, win-win.

E: Or at least do this. Just don't be an rear end in a top hat and bring your cupboard leftovers. AKA pumpkin filling and water chestnuts.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 10, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
As someone who's volunteered at a food bank, my suggestion is to just grab a variety of stuff. Don't buy a case of corn (as convenient as that is, just picking up a still-wrapped case from a grocery store), bring like 3 cans of corn, 3 green beans, 3 peas, etc.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I was looking to pick this up to play in the new year and to tide me over till Armada appears. My FLGS has a lot of stock on Tie-Fighters and X-wings, as well as a couple of Tie Advanced and a few Headhunters. Also they do have a few Imperial Aces and Rebel Aces. I would rather buy from them rather than online if I can, and they have a sign up saying they can get hold of stock that isn't on the shelves if they know someone is going to buy it when it arrives.

If I grab a starter and both of the Aces packs for a stepping off point will that leave me with two decently balanced squadrons to start with?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It should be playable, the balance is debatable though. You'd have some of the better Rebel pilots (Jake Farrell:A-Wing and especially Keyan Farlander:B-Wing, who are both in Rebel Aces) while missing out on some of the core Imperial pilots (specifically Howlrunner:TIE Fighter and Soontir Fel:TIE Interceptor). What else is there in the shop? Are there the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions, or just the Core set?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Tekopo posted:

It should be playable, the balance is debatable though. You'd have some of the better Rebel pilots (Jake Farrell:A-Wing and especially Keyan Farlander:B-Wing, who are both in Rebel Aces) while missing out on some of the core Imperial pilots (specifically Howlrunner:TIE Fighter and Soontir Fel:TIE Interceptor). What else is there in the shop? Are there the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions, or just the Core set?

They have the single pack X-Wings and Tie-Fighters in abundance. As well as a few Headhunters and a couple of Tie-Advanced.

They also have 1 Falcon, 1 of Dash Rendar's ship and one Lambda Shuttle, but I believe they are all being held for people who have ordered them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't know how much you want to spend but the Falcon is a staple in competitive lists. The shuttle and Tie Fighter expansion are both really good too.

You can't go wrong with Z-95s but they are more of a list filler. I would avoid YT-2400 and TIE Advanced to start.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's probably a good idea to at least get one of single pack TIE Fighters. The rebels can probably do alright with one X-Wing, one B-Wing and one A-Wing (although ideally you would want to round it off with another X-Wing), but unless you can get something else for the Imperials (a Firespray + mini swarm is pretty fun to fly, or maybe even getting to grips with a TIE Phantom, or just getting the TIE Interceptor expansion for Soontir etc), but being restricted to Core + TIE Fighter Expansion + Imperial Aces kind of limits the choices available really.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The idea was just to have two forces that are kinda equal but simple to use so that if I show someone the starter game and they like it we can segue into playing something bigger quite quickly. Grabbing another Tie-Fighter shouldn't be a problem - not too keen in going for something like a falcon or anything like that while I don't have anyone to play with!

Thanks for the info.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Tekopo posted:

It's probably a good idea to at least get one of single pack TIE Fighters. The rebels can probably do alright with one X-Wing, one B-Wing and one A-Wing (although ideally you would want to round it off with another X-Wing), but unless you can get something else for the Imperials (a Firespray + mini swarm is pretty fun to fly, or maybe even getting to grips with a TIE Phantom, or just getting the TIE Interceptor expansion for Soontir etc), but being restricted to Core + TIE Fighter Expansion + Imperial Aces kind of limits the choices available really.

Darth Vader with squad leader owns bones.

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I got a chance to play with an Outrider this week, running the following list:

YT-2400 (Wild Space Fringer), Ion Cannon, Gunner
X-Wing (Red Squadron Pilot)
X-Wing (Red Squadron Pilot)
Z95 (Bandit Squadron Pilot), Munitions Failsafe, Proton Rocket

I was up against a very elite Imperial list involving Howlrunner, the Phantom who gains a focus after shooting and Carnor Jax, all upgraded to the hilt.

It was a very close game, with it ending with the YT-2400 with a couple of hull left killing the Phantom (the last surviving Imperial) after about four turns of chasing through asteroids. The sheer number of white turns on the YT-2400 is amazing, it might not have much green but it hardly ever gets stressed. If I were to remake the list I'd drop the Ion Cannon, I think I fired it once in the whole game and it missed. I'd also give the Bandit Squadron a better missile than Proton Rockets, possibly Assault Missiles.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
When rolling for Jek Porkins' skill, are you supposed to receive a face down damage card for rolling a critical hit or do only regular hits count agains you? The card text only specifies regular hits, but just ignoring crits on a damage roll seems kind of fishy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If it says hits it says hits, and crits do nothing.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Coolstuffinc and various retailers on Amazon are currently having a price war with the YT-2400 and the Decimator. I picked them both up for $43 shipped on amazon. It was from another retailer but fulfilled by Amazon. Coolstuff may be cheaper if you can get free shipping?

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Picks from a special event that my LGS was running.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, after discovering that there's a no-poo poo game store in Longview Washington that's got a really nice selection and has an upper floor dedicated to gaming space along with regular meet-and-game nights I went ahead and impulse bought an X-Wing core set on the recommendation of plenty of people here and elsewhere. I still have yet to actually play it but Tuesday is apparently the store's board game night so when I go I'll see who there plays and if I can arrange to get any games in.

What advice do you have for someone who's a complete and utter newbie? Like, obvious traps to avoid, things to bear in mind, tactics, etc.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Always be thinking about where you and the enemy will be in two or three turns from now. It's all about anticipating where your opponent will go and trying to outmanoeuvre him.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Yeah, the first thing I thought of when I read the rules was "all those games of Roborally will finally pay off."

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Between the stale meta and the holidays, not many people have been playing at the weekly tournaments lately. I think the monthly tournaments here have dropped off too. I hope and think the scum and villainy stuff should revitalize the format. If not, the stores likely will switch off between x-wing armada, and/or assault.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm gonna be taking part in my first couple of tourneys around January/February actually. Probably gonna fly Defender/Soontir/Shuttle. I'd probably do better with a phantom, but I've always wanted to try that list in a competitive setting, so I'll see how it goes. I think as you said, things will pick up when S&V are out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is the Falcon expansion getting a rerelease? I see a couple sites listing it for early 2015. I just picked up the base game, along with the Outrider and Rebel Transport expansions.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is the Falcon expansion getting a rerelease? I see a couple sites listing it for early 2015. I just picked up the base game, along with the Outrider and Rebel Transport expansions.

Bookmark this if you are interested in keeping up with FFG releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

I'm gonna be taking part in my first couple of tourneys around January/February actually. Probably gonna fly Defender/Soontir/Shuttle. I'd probably do better with a phantom, but I've always wanted to try that list in a competitive setting, so I'll see how it goes. I think as you said, things will pick up when S&V are out.

Nice. Should do OK. The defender and shuttle should hopefully balance out the Baron's weakness against falcons. It'll be much better after S&V. :3:

• Locked thread