Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Elliotw2 posted:

Why do MMD people always use the worst Aya model?

Because all MMD models are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
Yeah, using MMD models seems like a better choice than the original Source models overall, but I'm fine with just giving my cosmetics/items nerdy names.

Also, I bought this a while back and it's pretty interesting. They pulled it off pretty well, imo. http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=17090404

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I have now realized how much better it is reading Suika's lines in a scottish accent.

And Eiren's in German.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

Go hog wild VV
Thank you.
I dunno why I keep inflicting awful related to series I like on myself. Is this what morbid curiosity is like?

Nages posted:

Jesus Christ
What makes this even better is that I'm pretty sure this person is a commonly used paid VA nowadays.

HGH fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 16, 2014

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I especially like Heavy Yuyuko
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFVeuHAhruk

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's an Utusho one I don't think is completely awful somewhere, but I can't find it on youtube.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
So is Reimu straight Taoist or some sort of weird Shungedo blend?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

That would imply Reimu cares enough to actually espouse a philosophy.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Reimu only cares about money so she doesn't have to eat grass for dinner any more. :saddowns:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

amuayse posted:

So is Reimu straight Taoist or some sort of weird Shungedo blend?

Shinto I think. She just doesn't care.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think the real answer is that ZUN wasn't thinking about this at all when he designed the character in 1996.

The in-universe answer is that she's kinda stupid and doesn't understand these things.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
She hits Youkai with sticks and paper until they starting bringing food and booze to her parties. Anything else is garnish.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah, just find of strange she uses a combination of Shinto amulets and the Taoist Yin-Yang symbols. Her god's never mentioned, right?
I wonder if there will be Catholics in the next game.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's canon that Reimu has no idea who the god of her shrine is.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

WarpedNaba posted:

She hits Youkai with sticks and paper until they starting bringing food and booze to her parties. Anything else is garnish.

Yeah, her knowledge of the religion she supposedly is the front liner of is that it lets her do this better than anyone else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

amuayse posted:

Yeah, just find of strange she uses a combination of Shinto amulets and the Taoist Yin-Yang symbols.

This is pointed out to her in one of the TD endings and her response is basically "huh?" She does happen to embody several Taoist ideals though.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
According to hints sprinkled in the PC-98 games, Reimu's magic was meant to be pure 神仙術 shinsenjutsu - Taoist hermit magic, with the implication she would become an immortal hermit as a result of her training. There's every reason to believe this is still a core part of her character. The title "Shaman" appeared once, but was probably only used as a translation of "shrine maiden".

The Windows games and manga eventually gave her the ability to function as a Shinto oracle - a female shaman who can facilitate communications with gods. Her spell names are still mostly invented stuff rather than Shinto references.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yukari seems to know a whole of a lot more about Reimu's "religion" than she does, which means it's entirely possible that Reimu doesn't actually have a religion and is just a shrine maiden of the gap hag herself.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

cuc posted:

According to hints sprinkled in the PC-98 games, Reimu's magic was meant to be pure 神仙術 shinsenjutsu - Taoist hermit magic, with the implication she would become an immortal hermit as a result of her training. There's every reason to believe this is still a core part of her character. The title "Shaman" appeared once, but was probably only used as a translation of "shrine maiden".

The Windows games and manga eventually gave her the ability to function as a Shinto oracle - a female shaman who can facilitate communications with gods. Her spell names are still mostly invented stuff rather than Shinto references.

The bonus screen that shows after you kill a boss in Highly Responsive to Prayers gives you a bonus based on the number of MIKOsans you have, and I won't hear a word to the contrary, good sir! :colbert:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Yukari seems to know a whole of a lot more about Reimu's "religion" than she does, which means it's entirely possible that Reimu doesn't actually have a religion and is just a shrine maiden of the gap hag herself.

If her title in Hopeless Masquerade is any indication she at least thinks she is a Shinto Shrine Maiden.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

KataraniSword posted:

I want to believe.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
One of the printed works or a throw away line in one of the games, I forget, does mention that someone can sense the shrine's god and they're pissed at Reimu for not knowing them or something.

So probably not Yukari.

Reimu's shinto, tho. She's just a lazy orphan who was never taught anything.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One of Reimu's endings in UFO has Byakuren visiting and noting how annoyed the shrine's god is.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

At the end of the Three Fairies manga Marisa figures that Reimu is more of a hermit than a shrine maiden, too, hanging out with and using fairies to do her work rather than exterminating them.

Honestly, Reimu's shaky faith is the main reason I was disappointed Kanako wasn't playable in Hopeless Masquerade, that and that Reimu is the only Shinto character where the other two religions got two, while half the cast wasn't aligned with any of the groups. That was a bit of a strange set-up for a game that was ostensibly about religious groups doing show-fighting to gather followers.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kanako didn't need to show up because she is actually competent at gathering faith. Moriya Shrine had no need to join a religious war, they're just too good. :smuggo:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Kanako is the only one who has actually spent the last few centuries still working to gather faith and she knows that flashy kungfu displays don't draw followers, just rubberneckers,

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And Suwako does flashy danmaku displays anyway. It's called teamwork.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

KataraniSword posted:

Yukari herself also seems to be, if anything, tending towards Taoism.

Speaking of the gap hag, I might as well plug some artwork I made recently.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I took a look at your site, and you have some pretty cool stuff on it. I especially liked this image.

edit: also this one

Hokuto fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Dec 17, 2014

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Kanako is the only one who has actually spent the last few centuries still working to gather faith and she knows that flashy kungfu displays don't draw followers, just rubberneckers,

Kanako is the deity that Gensokyo needs. She's campaigning on lowering the (faith) deficit, and she even has shovel-ready jobs (in the form of a ski-lift).

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

HellCopter posted:

Kanako is the deity that Gensokyo needs. She's campaigning on lowering the (faith) deficit, and she even has shovel-ready jobs (in the form of a ski-lift).

Never forget Okuugate. Kanako is irresponsible with arming underground hell ravens with nuclear power.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

A Meat posted:

Never forget Okuugate. Kanako is irresponsible with arming underground hell ravens with nuclear power.

Someone had to have taken up that hellfire mantle. Would you have just left the corpse of the yatagarasu sitting around for just anything to eat? Why do you want a weak Gensokyo?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yet somehow the biggest scandal to hit the front page of Bunbunmaru was when Sanae slipped up and used the word "nucular".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A Meat posted:

And now that bird is safely contained and using her powers to create a consistent flow of renewable nuclear energy. If you just look past the small controversy you'll see that the Moriya Shrine gets results.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gensoukyo doesn't give a poo poo about energy. Although they did find the new hot springs pretty bitchin'.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Isn't there a thing in SA/the books afterwards that said that Youkai mountain was leeching power from Tokyo to power the cool poo poo that the Moriya Shrine people brought with them?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

A Meat posted:

I like this comic
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/suwakoto_ch06

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Elliotw2 posted:

Isn't there a thing in SA/the books afterwards that said that Youkai mountain was leeching power from Tokyo to power the cool poo poo that the Moriya Shrine people brought with them?

I think there was something about Gensokyo using leftover power from Tokyo, but with a lot of places turning towards green energy now, the leftovers are running out, which prompted Kanako to make Gensokyo produce energy in-house. So then she entrusted a dumb bird with the power to solve the energy crisis.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Elliotw2 posted:

It's in the SoPM part discussing SA, yeah.

Also featured are Marisa partying hard with onis in hell and why vengeful spirits are a big deal to youkai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WarpedNaba posted:

Gensoukyo doesn't give a poo poo about energy. Although they did find the new hot springs pretty bitchin'.

Touhou priorities.