Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
This page belongs in a museum somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

nsaP: spergtroll extraordinaire

He's just doing what needs done.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'm just reaching out to my fellow people.

My office friends reach out constantly

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Z3n posted:

He's just doing what needs done the needful.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I have an Indian crew who drives me nuts with that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

builds character posted:

This page nsaP belongs in a museum somewhere.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Stuffed and mounted, preferably.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

I have an Indian crew who drives me nuts with that.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_the_needful

Interesting - I've run into that phrase before but never realized the context of being a respectful formal request for help from someone who is more experienced/senior than you.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
At the end of the day, we need to leverage best-in-class thought leadership in order to maximize solutions in the energy space with respect to MLP plays. Going forward, let's circle back and touch base off line as a granular sidebar because the resources are out of pocket.

God, I absolutely detest business buzzwordspeak. The insurance industry used to be mercifully free of it until the consultants grabbed hold ten years ago. Having said that :v:, I can write whole paragraphs of utter gibberish and I'll put them in my reports. Sometimes in a 30 page report, I'll use not one buzzword except for two paragraphs of meaningless nonsense just riddled with buzzwords to see if anyone catches on that it's crap.

Also great in meetings is to just throw random buzzwords together that convey no real information to watch the nodding heads as if I'm the oracle of Delphi dispensing sage advice.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-wXfFTokGQ&t=55s

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

MoraleHazard posted:

Also great in meetings is to just throw random buzzwords together that convey no real information to watch the nodding heads as if I'm the oracle of Delphi dispensing sage advice.

That's an apt comparison. The Oracle also spoke in tongues and it was up to others to interpret what her gibberish meant.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I've worked for Yahoo, which is a bastion of that godawful corporate bullshit-speak.

Moving forward. Oh god how I hate that one.

The best was my boss there referred to us (his team members) as bodies. As in, "We need to get more bodies on this project," and "How many bodies will it take to finish this on time?"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

As a "knowledge worker" (consultant, aka IT prostitute) I've occasionally referred to junior consultants as "an rear end in a chair". And I still think that's less insulting than calling someone a resource. Calling someone "a body" seems even worse.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

MoraleHazard posted:

two paragraphs of meaningless nonsense just riddled with buzzwords to see if anyone catches on

This was the intent of Van Halen's brown M&M contract rider. They didn't actually care; it was a ploy to see if the promoters had read the contract. Genius.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

As a "knowledge worker" (consultant, aka IT prostitute) I've occasionally referred to junior consultants as "an rear end in a chair". And I still think that's less insulting than calling someone a resource. Calling someone "a body" seems even worse.

Look bro you gotta buy into the intensive objectification and dehumanization of your employees if you expect to get your vertical integration on with the new paradigm of culture influence.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Collateral Damage posted:

It's a military thing. We use it all the time.

Hey get some bodies into the pway, make sure they have foxtails and a cadillac and high dust the overheads.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

iwentdoodie posted:

It's a military thing. We use it all the time.

Hey get some bodies into the pway, make sure they have foxtails and a cadillac and high dust the overheads.

There is a reason the military uses dehumanizing language like that and it is really scary that corporate speak is trending that direction.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Z3n posted:

Look bro you gotta buy into the intensive objectification and dehumanization of your employees if you expect to get your vertical integration on with the new paradigm of culture influence.

Maximizing vertical integration of assets is a key strategy in our new metric-focused efficiency optimization efforts.

Read: Fire fools make money

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Chichevache posted:

There is a reason the military uses dehumanizing language like that and it is really scary that corporate speak is trending that direction.

Oh, I completely agree.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

builds character posted:

Maximizing vertical integration of assets is a key strategy in our new metric-focused efficiency optimization efforts.

Read: Fire fools make money

Can you leverage synergies between silo'd cost centers to optimize the potential economies of scale?

(Lay 'em off, make the remaining suckers pick up the slack)

I hate being called an asset--that's awesome, I'm going to slowly lose my value until I end up with zero residual value and will eventually be written off. Big corporate hugs.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Discomancer posted:

Can you leverage synergies between silo'd cost centers to optimize the potential economies of scale?

(Lay 'em off, make the remaining suckers pick up the slack)

I hate being called an asset--that's awesome, I'm going to slowly lose my value until I end up with zero residual value and will eventually be written off. Big corporate hugs.

Swing by so we can circle up with the stakeholders to gen some action items. Tks.

But yeah, it's terrible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

builds character posted:

Swing by so we can circle up with the stakeholders to gen some action items. Tks.

But yeah, it's terrible.

An oldie, but a goodie:
http://professionalsuperhero.com/

Oh god, I forgot "take that discussion offline".

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Marv Hushman posted:

This was the intent of Van Halen's brown M&M contract rider. They didn't actually care; it was a ploy to see if the promoters had read the contract. Genius.

I once put a clause in a project contract where I had to be provided a goat for sacrifice on demand. No one noticed, and it cleared both our legal and opposing legal and was fully executed. I did not use it though.

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
I passed advanced-level high school English through pure bullshittery and linguistic padding. I actually scored highly with it to carry my other mediocre grades into a respectable final aggregate result. The funniest thing to me is that at the time, I genuinely thought I had learned nothing of value.

also bikes

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

NeuralSpark posted:

I once put a clause in a project contract where I had to be provided a goat for sacrifice on demand. No one noticed, and it cleared both our legal and opposing legal and was fully executed. I did not use it though.

I hate you for not taking this all the way through.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I hate you for not taking this all the way through.

"it cleared both our legal and opposing legal and was fully executed"

Or maybe he did :v:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

It would have been difficult to push the issue due to cruelty concerns I'm sure. Next time write a clause saying you require a goat on demand for petting purposes. That would be harder for them to back out of if you called them on it.
If it clears you should totally get a goat to pet. Maybe two.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I found this on a Husqvarna forum. The initial post was, "Hi there, new to everything here; my terra, motorcycles/maintenance. I was wondering what kind of tools you find to be essential, what you carry when riding, etc."

After a couple recoemmendations the final post is:

quote:

As for torque wrenches...I'll NEVER trust ANY of them with my life.
If it's critical....it's all common sense and FEEEEL!! Stuff the numbers, just look at what you're working on and decide from there.

Yup, tell the guy who's never worked on a motorcycle before to ditch the torque wrench and go by ~~feeeel~~!

*Full disclosure: I don't own a torque wrench and just tighten to one of three levels - just past finger tight, hard, and crank that motherfucker on. But just reading that post makes me want to go out and buy one tonight.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Koruthaiolos posted:

*Full disclosure: I don't own a torque wrench and just tighten to one of three levels - just past finger tight, hard, and crank that motherfucker on. But just reading that post makes me want to go out and buy one tonight.

Harbor Freight's torque wrenches are surprisingly decent for being so cheap.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A comprehensive list of poo poo you actually need a torque wrench for on a motorcycle:

- Big ends/cases
- Head bolts
- Certain gearbox bolts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any work to the chain or wheels without a torque wrench. I really don't want my wheels to fall off or strip out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I wouldn't feel comfortable doing any work to the chain or wheels without a torque wrench. I really don't want my wheels to fall off or strip out.

I feel like I have some kind of superpower for being able to judge how tight something should be based on the dimensions of the fastener and the job it's doing when I read CA I swear. The range between too loose and too tight for something like an axle bolt is MASSIVE. The torque spec will be XXX+-10 but in reality it's like +-50 you'll-be-fine range.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

Slavvy posted:

A comprehensive list of poo poo you actually need a torque wrench for on a motorcycle:

- Big ends/cases
- Head bolts
- Certain gearbox bolts

and loving Honda cheesebolts with 1nm extra tolerance.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

I feel like I have some kind of superpower for being able to judge how tight something should be based on the dimensions of the fastener and the job it's doing when I read CA I swear. The range between too loose and too tight for something like an axle bolt is MASSIVE. The torque spec will be XXX+-10 but in reality it's like +-50 you'll-be-fine range.

I'm there with you. The only time I use a torque wrench is internal motor work and in those cases I am overly paranoid.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Slavvy posted:

- Big ends/cases
- Head bolts
- Certain gearbox bolts

That mindset is a great way to break a lot of poo poo (been there, done that, got the easy-out)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Anytime you can see the metal guts, its torque wrench time. Also a good idea around bearings.

I also got into the habit of using them to put oil filter cover bolts back on after stripping a half a dozen. drat cases are always made out of pewter it feels like.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

- Big ends/cases
- Head bolts
- Certain gearbox bolts

Oil drain plugs. I once cracked an oilpan on my CB550 because I didn't use a torque wrench. On my DRZ, the drain plug screws directly into the case (no replaceable pan) or frame (two drain bolts). Don't really want to think about the PITA involved in cracking that.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Akion posted:

Oil drain plugs. I once cracked an oilpan on my CB550 because I didn't use a torque wrench. On my DRZ, the drain plug screws directly into the case (no replaceable pan) or frame (two drain bolts). Don't really want to think about the PITA involved in cracking that.

seconding oil drain plugs, after I stripped an oil drain bolt trying to get it off. Ugh.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Akion posted:

First oil change on the Buell I used my torque wrench and stripped all the threads out. Turns out the torque spec is for dry threads, not oily ones. Seems legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

nitrogen posted:

seconding oil drain plugs, after I stripped an oil drain bolt trying to get it off. Ugh.

And a third from me. My GSXR bolt and super overtightened and stripped by the previous owner, and I found threads from the case on the bolt the first time I changed the oil. I got lucky as the oil pan was removable so I tapped it out and put a Helicoil in it.

• Locked thread