Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also tier lists are meaningless when the game hasn't even been out for a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I spent an hour or two dicking around, and it appears that those characters I like to play as are competitive again. Ganondorf was useless in Brawl, even in casual play. And Captain Falcon didn't fare much better.

And although I still miss Roy, I immediately took a liking to Robin. And Ike is still hanging out, of course.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

If Dr. Seuss's "The Grinch" were in Smash Bros, what would his moveset/tier be? What about the Lorax?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

sharrrk posted:

also tier lists are meaningless when the game hasn't even been out for a month

The game has basically been out since September though

Macaluso posted:

I really can't believe tier lists (which are pretty bullshit i know) are saying Megaman is like. Middle of the road. I just fought the most ANNOYING Megaman player on For Glory I've ever fought. I could not touch this dude. I couldn't shield to avoid his attacks or he'd grab me. I couldn't get near him cause all of his ranged attacks would stop me, even the little potato pellets. In the right hands Megaman is insane.

Diddy does the forced shield into grab better, except when he grabs it's like a combo or kill. His projectile is the banana, if you shield it you eat a grab, if you don't shield it you get stunned and eat a forward smash, if you spot dodge it it's not good enough either (you can spot dodge Megaman stuff)

Diddy is an rear end in a top hat

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The game has basically been out since September though

the patch was released only a couple days before the wii u version and changed a lot of things, most notably getting rid of vectoring which was kind of a big deal. also the 3ds is a lovely controller that doesn't exactly give the best idea of what a character can do, and i imagine a lot of competitive players either didn't bother with the 3ds version or didn't take it as seriously as the wii u version.

and besides, even if the game had been out for 3 months a tier list still wouldn't mean much. there are a ton of characters and match ups in this game and people are going to be figuring out new things to do with them for a long time to come. don't worry about tier lists.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

This game is so well-balanced if you pick your favorite and study what they can do, you can do well with practice. That is really great because seeing 50 different dudes come out and do their tricks is really a lot of fun! You just gotta learn what your dude is capable of and what their weaknesses are.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reiley posted:

This game is so well-balanced if you pick your favorite and study what they can do, you can do well with practice. That is really great because seeing 50 different dudes come out and do their tricks is really a lot of fun! You just gotta learn what your dude is capable of and what their weaknesses are.

That sounds to hard I wish it was space animals and marth only

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Apparently my win-loss ratio means something to me in this game because i just wanted to play a few online matches, lost a bunch nd kept playing for another hour to get bacck up to 50%

What's loving wrong with me :negative:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Why did you buy it if you didn't want to use it?

That being said can someone give me some advice with Ness? All I know is his basic fire -> dthrow -> fair -> fair combo and chasing folks off stage with thunder and I always feel like a lovely player when I'm just fishing for fire.

I collect things too.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

So my controller + adapter bundle from Play-Asia arrived yesterday.

It was a Mayflash adapter. :cripes:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

F. Lobot posted:

So my controller + adapter bundle from Play-Asia arrived yesterday.

It was a Mayflash adapter. :cripes:

How does that even happen!?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Have you heard of Super Smash Bros Melee for the GameCube? It's one of the earliest games in this series, I used to play it a lot in high school and college. I never really got into the competitive scene but from what I've heard it's pretty much exactly what you're looking for. If you've got a Wii or GameCube lying around and you can find a used copy somewhere I'd give it a shot.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not even Melee is this

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Not even Melee is this

Captain Falcon is definitely a space animal.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
We're all space animals if you think about it

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
This should go in the OP:

http://youtu.be/And-vdjC71E

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

That was the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen and or heard. You took three minutes of my life, and I want them back.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Calico Heart posted:

Apparently my win-loss ratio means something to me in this game because i just wanted to play a few online matches, lost a bunch nd kept playing for another hour to get bacck up to 50%

What's loving wrong with me :negative:
For Glory is designed in such a half-assed way that I don't know why it even has win-loss ratio besides it being a Smash game which has stats on everything.

There's no real matchmaking, and since the game doesn't limit you to X number of matches with the other person, you can easily pad your numbers by clowning a bad player until they get sick of it and leave. It's a meaningless number, but it still discourages people from staying in against better players.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Deviant posted:

That was the dumbest loving thing I've ever seen and or heard. You took three minutes of my life, and I want them back.

Unfortunately our company is unable to refund your time. It looks like you signed a Release of Liability Waiver when you clicked on the hyperlink to our video "Metal Gear Awesome" back in 2005. This agreement states that you forfeit all rights to complain about quote unquot; "wasted time of your life" from the first moment you begin to watch our videos until the date of your final expiration in 2053 when your heart inevitably fails you. We remind you that formal, written complaints can be mailed to our main Headquarters post mortem by a family member as long as the proper court appeals have been made.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you have an enjoyable remainder of the day.

-Sincerely, Rebecca
Egoraptor, incorporated

Click Here to see our newest Mageware: Reworked video!

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This poo poo sucks

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Macaluso posted:

I really can't believe tier lists (which are pretty bullshit i know) are saying Megaman is like. Middle of the road. I just fought the most ANNOYING Megaman player on For Glory I've ever fought. I could not touch this dude. I couldn't shield to avoid his attacks or he'd grab me. I couldn't get near him cause all of his ranged attacks would stop me, even the little potato pellets. In the right hands Megaman is insane.

I don't understand why nobody seems to play as megaman. He was one of the top-requested characters for Brawl. He's in, he's amazing, and nobody plays as him.

It's so easy to rack up damage with him, and he has great KO options. His forward smash has range and amazing KO. His up tilt is an uppercut with amazing KO. His back air has amazing KO. And what's best of all is his grab, it feels like one of the fastest in the game. The only thing about him that feels weak or confusing is his down-b.

My guess is, people don't like him because they're just mashing A. It "feels" like his signature attack because it's so recognizable. But really, if you want to spam projectiles, you should be spamming the neutral B.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2014

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

He plays fairly differently from other characters, and he has a bit of a learning curve so it isn't that surprising.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

No.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

I don't understand why nobody seems to play as megaman. He was one of the top-requested characters for Brawl. He's in, he's amazing, and nobody plays as him.

It's so easy to rack up damage with him, and he has great KO options. His forward smash has range and amazing KO. His up tilt is an uppercut with amazing. His back air amazing KO ability. And what feels best of all is his grab, it feels like one of the fastest in the game. The only thing about him that feels weak or confusing is his down-b.

For me, his lemon-shooting moves are so different from a typical normal moveset which makes him seem like a gimmick/learning curved character like Mac or Rosalina. And he had really bad buzz from people who had the 3DS game so I was never inclined to try him out. I'll definitely give him a shot because he sounds Powerful!

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Megaman is fantastic and Powerful, Uppercut and tornado combo are brutal.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Tender Bender posted:

For me, his lemon-shooting moves are so different from a typical normal moveset which makes him seem like a gimmick/learning curved character like Mac or Rosalina.

Yeah, the key is, you shouldn't use the lemons as a primary attack at all. Since the lemons are fast, they're great for interrupting other players's charged attacks, but not a whole lot more. You can toss his neutral B razor thing like once per second, so there's no reason not to. Also, nobody knows that you can aim the razor!! Throw it straight up as people recover over your head!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, the key is, you shouldn't use the lemons as a primary attack at all. Since the lemons are fast, they're great for interrupting other players's charged attacks, but not a whole lot more. You can toss his neutral B razor thing like once per second, so there's no reason not to. Also, nobody knows that you can aim the razor!! Throw it straight up as people recover over your head!

Or throw it behind you as you go forward.

Or throw it diagonally down and uppercut people on hit.

I played against a wicked Megaman last night, actually.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Tough crowd. I thought it was catchy. Toe tappin' even.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
That's a nice video

for somebody to post

at Gamefaqs

Idiot

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or throw it behind you as you go forward.

:eyepop: never thought of this... my megaman is about to get twice as annoying, bahahaha!

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

Louisgod posted:

That's a nice video

for somebody to post

at Gamefaqs

Idiot

You know, back in my day people had more respect for their elders. My mother always told me, that if you don't have something nice to say - don't say something at all.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

LLJKSiLk posted:

You know, back in my day people had more respect for their elders. My mother always told me, that if you don't have something nice to say - don't say something at all.

Shut up

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Is there a way to send an game invite ~to~ a person? It doesnt seem like messages are notified and you have to actually go to the miiverse and go to messages to see if you have any.

"Lets smash!" -sent 6 hours ago

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Spectral Debt posted:

Is there a way to send an game invite ~to~ a person? It doesnt seem like messages are notified and you have to actually go to the miiverse and go to messages to see if you have any.

"Lets smash!" -sent 6 hours ago

use the IRC, or some other external means of communication.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I use the Yo! app on iOS to let people know I wanna Smash (no pun intended) and then I just text for other things.

Spectral Debt
Jan 23, 2004
9999 sucka
Can I use IRC on mac/ipad, also, whats the room name?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Spectral Debt posted:

Can I use IRC on mac/ipad, also, whats the room name?

You just need an IRC app. It's on SynIRC at #goonsmash. It might've changed, but I'm sure it's in the OP somewhere.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

How does Dr. Mario fare in For Wii U? When I was playing the 3DS variant, I noticed he played a lot more fluidly and when I get the Wii U version I plan on making him my main if he isn't nerfed too much.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

FireWorksWell posted:

How does Dr. Mario fare in For Wii U? When I was playing the 3DS variant, I noticed he played a lot more fluidly and when I get the Wii U version I plan on making him my main if he isn't nerfed too much.

imo next to Meta Knight the absolute worst character in the game :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Doctor Mario has quite possibly the worst recovery in the game. It's really heinous.

• Locked thread