Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Lurdiak posted:

The character of Marcus Wright was terrible to begin with.

Demanding to play a different character than you are offered and then demanding you be in the movie more is also terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Terminator Salvation was so bad, no amount of rewriting or recasting would've saved it. It was... bad to the bone...

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Defiance Industries posted:

Demanding to play a different character than you are offered and then demanding you be in the movie more is also terrible.

They could have said no.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

"When John Connor isn't on screen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's John?'"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spaceman Future! posted:

For him to exist a future dude had to make him, meaning that the future dude existed in a timeline without John Connor, went back in time on his own and screwed Sarah Connor spawning a timeline where their little bastard thinks that he is responsible for the future of the human race just because his helicopter Rambo mom says so. Then he manages to find an alternate future version of the same dude who hosed his mom last time and gave him a flowery story to take back in time while he rails Johns mother again, propagandizing his own birth. Self Fulfilling prophecy bullshit that only exists because of a temporal player getting some 80's trim.

My favorite fun/stupid theory about John Connor is that when Kyle Reese went back in time and impregnated Sarah it hosed everything up because half of Johns DNA was supposed to come from some normal joe schmoe, not Reese. So in the "original" timeline there was a great leader born to Sarah Connor named John, but the one we see in T2 is not that guy at all, he is only given the name John Connor because Sarah is told that name by Reese.

This theory was developed as an attempt to explain by Edward Furlong is such a whiny bitch.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Basebf555 posted:

This theory was developed as an attempt to explain by Edward Furlong is such a whiny bitch.

You'd be a whiny bitch too if you had been part of this movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

WarLocke posted:

I knew it was going to be Brainscan. :3:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

Who the hell is that supposed to be on the cover? Even Furlong of today looks better than that dude.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite fun/stupid theory about John Connor is that when Kyle Reese went back in time and impregnated Sarah it hosed everything up because half of Johns DNA was supposed to come from some normal joe schmoe, not Reese. So in the "original" timeline there was a great leader born to Sarah Connor named John, but the one we see in T2 is not that guy at all, he is only given the name John Connor because Sarah is told that name by Reese.

She's not my mother, Todd!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Basebf555 posted:

Well, it could be that, or it could be that in T2 John Connor is 10 years old.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well Manicured Man posted:

Well, it could be that, or it could be that in T2 John Connor is 10 years old.

I actually agree with you personally, and his performance has actually grown on me over multiple viewings. His voice has a quality to it that can be grating, which I think contributed to the issue. But overall I think his character in T2 is actually a very well written and has a lot more intelligence than your average movie kid, which makes him more realistic.

I was more referring to the theory I posted, and the fact that Furlong's tendency to sound like a whiny baby is such a common complaint about T2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

He's deliberately written as a brat, which honestly doesn't help.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Basebf555 posted:

I actually agree with you personally, and his performance has actually grown on me over multiple viewings. His voice has a quality to it that can be grating, which I think contributed to the issue. But overall I think his character in T2 is actually a very well written and has a lot more intelligence than your average movie kid, which makes him more realistic.

I was more referring to the theory I posted, and the fact that Furlong's tendency to sound like a whiny baby is such a common complaint about T2.

If I remember right all of John's lines are overdubbed because his voice broke during filming.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

T2 John Connor as a kid with a rough life who's kind of a douche but grows up is a lot more likeable than the pathetic homeless loser of T3 who spends almost the entire movie being the punchline of jokes. How THAT guy becomes a badass savior of humanity, I can't imagine.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The only flaw with T2 really is that they should have just fudged the timeline and had John be Furlongs age. When watching the movie I can't help but just keep on looking at him as a 10 year old and it being unbelievable.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Lurdiak posted:

T2 John Connor as a kid with a rough life who's kind of a douche but grows up is a lot more likeable than the pathetic homeless loser of T3 who spends almost the entire movie being the punchline of jokes. How THAT guy becomes a badass savior of humanity, I can't imagine.

All of these things can be explained by the timeline changing when Reese went back and told Sarah about the future, causing her to become a survivalist nut job. Like presumably in the original timeline, Sarah was just some waitress who got knocked up and John led a normal although maybe disadvantaged life. By T2 Sarah is in a literal mental institution for a terrorist attack and John is in a foster home until more future machines come and kill them and totally gently caress with his life; it is no wonder he was a messed up kid who eventually ended up homeless.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I couldn't see Furlong Connor as the future head of the Resistance, but I totally bought Stahl Connor. There's an edge and an anger to Stahl's portrayal that I think informed the character more than the punkish/jovial Furlong did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Guy A. Person posted:

All of these things can be explained by the timeline changing when Reese went back and told Sarah about the future, causing her to become a survivalist nut job. Like presumably in the original timeline, Sarah was just some waitress who got knocked up and John led a normal although maybe disadvantaged life. By T2 Sarah is in a literal mental institution for a terrorist attack and John is in a foster home until more future machines come and kill them and totally gently caress with his life; it is no wonder he was a messed up kid who eventually ended up homeless.

Yea but this scenario still means that John Connor of the original timeline was a fundamentally different person(literally down to his DNA) from any version we actually get to see in the movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Guy A. Person posted:

Or maybe T3 didn't have a very good script.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Guy A. Person posted:

Alternatively, in the original timeline, Kyle Reese could have been sent back by someone else entirely or even a human that Skynet dropped through its time portal to see if it worked and John Connor didn't exist at all.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It actually is consistent in this respect though? In T3 he says he's effectively a drifter because he wants to say off the "grid" so that there's minimal record of him even existing. He's right to do this in that judgement day "never happens" but then the timeline corrects itself or whatever so that the T-X is able to track him down. Which is flimsy, judgement day is inevitable, certain major things happen across every timeline at about the same time, whatever, but it's there. He's right to stay "off the grid" because of Skynet being an intelligent virus here rather than a cold war era single mainframe that launches missiles and constructs/directs futuristic tanks.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Neo Rasa posted:

I knew it was going to be Brainscan. :3:

:3::hf::3:

As much as I liked T2, it does kind of screw up the whole time travel aspect. The original works perfectly fine on its own as a closed loop, but as soon as you start considering the sequels it all falls apart and pretty soon we're going to be having another ur-John Connor argument in here.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

WarLocke posted:

:3::hf::3:

As much as I liked T2, it does kind of screw up the whole time travel aspect. The original works perfectly fine on its own as a closed loop, but as soon as you start considering the sequels it all falls apart and pretty soon we're going to be having another ur-John Connor argument in here.

Well that is one thing I think T-3 fixed. It retroactively means that Future John's "The future is not set" speech that he makes Reese memorize is not factually correct, but that's not a big deal because it makes sense that humans would fight against the idea of their futures being predetermined.

It means that the events of T-2, while they did change some minor things, didn't accomplish what the characters really set out to do(prevent the creation of Skynet and stop Judgment Day). So it sacrifices the themes and character arcs of T2, but hey who cares because we now know exactly how time travel works in the Terminator universe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

T3 doesn't fix poo poo.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It does make it weird that they send the T-800 back, humanity is like Kyle Reese, are you a bad enough dude to stop the T-800 and throws him in right after so they end up at the same place. But then Skynet, perceiving this, panics and tosses its lone prototype T-1000 in, so then the humans reprogram and send a T-800 back to help him out. If you just watch the movies it would seem like this, that the battle of the future was decided in a few minutes, but then it's like, multiple time lines must have been created and Skynet/humanity must know this if they're still there to send folks back after sending robots back.

That said, it's interesting how Reese describes Skynet in T1 as "deciding our fate in a microsecond," basically nuking and then systematically destroying all of humanity the minute it's turned on. But in T2 the T-800 of course describes it as a very intelligent life form that learns fast, and that it triggers a nuclear war between humans themselves out of defense when the US government tries to kill it. Skynet itself was being created for more altruistic purposes by Miles dyson. The truth is somewhere in the middle. So if you take them at face value, it's interesting how fixing the future may not necessarily involve destroying Skynet or keeping Skynet from existing, but from just not trying to destroy Skynet. Skynet messes this all up though by sending the T-1000 back at the last second. The way for Skynet and humanity to truly defeat each other is to stop trying to defeat each other.

Lot of interesting ideas come up when you watch T1/T2/T3 back to back regarding how Skynet thinks and evaluates its place in the world. It's a shame Salvation makes zero effort to really explore any of that.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 17, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It still decided the fate of humanity in a microsecond, even if in "self-defense".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

It definitely didn't but John becoming a homeless guy with borderline PTSD after the events of T2 and living with his survivalist mother isn't a stupid conclusion to that story arc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

It still decided the fate of humanity in a microsecond, even if in "self-defense".

Good point. Whelp, back to the trenches.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Terminator 3's best strength is that it begins with the understanding that Skynet is a product of the military-industrial complex or capitalism as a whole, and therefore killing or converting its inventor and destroying all evidence of its existence isn't enough - eventually someone else just builds Skynet. It does a good job of messing with the previous film's definition of freedom. The future is what you make it - but the terms of your choice of what you make it is already defined by the society around you. Someone else will choose to build Skynet.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope in some future iteration Skynet turns out to be a poor British soul who screwed up and goes "Oh gee, I'm so sorry, Humanity. Let me send some help." *releases muderous Terminators "Oh my. Im dreadfully sorry I didn't know they'd do that. Let me get some planes to help you escape." *releases Hunter Killers

All to the tune of Benny Hill. And then the time line gets so bad the Terminators are all Mr. Bean.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Terminator's final stand: It sends a female t-800 to 1957, where it publishes Atlas Shrugged.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Hbomberguy posted:

The Terminator's final stand: It sends a female t-800 to 1957, where it publishes Atlas Shrugged.

Implausible. Terminators can learn the value of human life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

"It's in your nature to destroy yourselves." ~T2

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Neo Rasa posted:

It does make it weird that they send the T-800 back, humanity is like Kyle Reese, are you a bad enough dude to stop the T-800 and throws him in right after so they end up at the same place. But then Skynet, perceiving this, panics and tosses its lone prototype T-1000 in, so then the humans reprogram and send a T-800 back to help him out. If you just watch the movies it would seem like this, that the battle of the future was decided in a few minutes, but then it's like, multiple time lines must have been created and Skynet/humanity must know this if they're still there to send folks back after sending robots back.
All of the movies talk about this, but we're never given details or shown it. Based on the trailer, it looks like Genisys might attempt to go into detail with this?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MisterBibs posted:

I couldn't see Furlong Connor as the future head of the Resistance, but I totally bought Stahl Connor. There's an edge and an anger to Stahl's portrayal that I think informed the character more than the punkish/jovial Furlong did.

Stahl gets a bad rap but he's a pretty great actor. Sadly his demons seem to be winning these days.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Stahl gets a bad rap but he's a pretty great actor. Sadly his demons seem to be winning these days.

The John Connor Curse.

http://www.thestar.com/life/2012/06/08/these_kids_arent_all_right_child_stars_who_struggle_with_drug_and_alcohol_addiction.html

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy A. Person posted:

It definitely didn't but John becoming a homeless guy with borderline PTSD after the events of T2 and living with his survivalist mother isn't a stupid conclusion to that story arc.

Yes it is because they won. At the conclusion of T2 the war is won, Skynet will never be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I didn't know Dekker had legal issues, that's nuts.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yes it is because they won. At the conclusion of T2 the war is won, Skynet will never be.

Even for a fantasy story about robots and time travel "We won the war, therefore traumatization is impossible" is pretty naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

But what about Dalton Abbott or Michael Edwards?

Senor Tron posted:

The only flaw with T2 really is that they should have just fudged the timeline and had John be Furlongs age. When watching the movie I can't help but just keep on looking at him as a 10 year old and it being unbelievable.

I just give up on a child actor's age. For obvious reasons they are always cast older than the part they are going to play, so I just say whatever and move on.

• Locked thread