Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Amazon has V-MODA- crossfade m-80's for 79.99 as daily deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi! I hope I'm in the right place to ask this.

Short facts/questions:

- Old pair of Sony MDR-V600
- I love them (more than 10 years of usage and still great)
- I not an audiophile
- I want to be able to listen to tv news while cooking but my tv is behind me while I cook
- My AV receiver: Yamaha RX-V371

I want to put my headphones wireless. Which cheap wireless transmitter/receiver should I use (or any other solution)? I don't care for video sync (because I don't see the screen), bluetooth's quality of sound...

There is like many adapters available... any suggestion?

Thanks! :)

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0036RDVRI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have been using these for up to a year now, but they recently just broke. A friend of mine recommended them to me.

Looking to replace them with either new earbuds or headphones. I walk around a lot, with my iPod in my pocket so I'm looking for a rather cheap (around $10-30) to replace them, although I would be open to more pricier choices. Been thinking about getting headphones because my earbuds tend to get tangled up a lot, especially when I shove them into my bag or into my pockets. The same friend of mine suggested the following headphones. Are they any good?

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-108323-Premium-Hi-Fi-Headphone/dp/B007SP2CO2

General Morden fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 17, 2014

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Retarded Pimp posted:

Try plugging it into another source, like a decent smart phone or mp3 player and see if you get the same result.

I am a loving retard. Thanks for pointing out the obvious test to me *facepalm*
Yeah looks like it's the sound unit on the motherboard. Kind of disappointed in Asus really. Wonder if I can put the old striker extreme sound card thing on this motherboard...

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Most onboard audio codecs are absolute garbage and quite a few of them even pick up when your fans speed up or speed down and give you this little whining noise. My favourite is an onboard microphone port I troubleshooted that cut out the microphone input if there was more than 8 audio cues being received by the codec at the time, as if though there's a limit of operations it can do at once and input gets underprioritized over output.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

After suffering from upgrade fever and much deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of NAD Visor HP50. I got them from the Crutchfield Outlet as scratch & dent for $212, which seems to be a good deal. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow so I look forward to hearing something other than my ATH-M50 :)

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
So I'm really trying to like the HD650. I really am. Unfortunately they kind of loving suck. The highs are completely lacking, if you can enjoy Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky" then I'm very confused. The sub-bass offers nothing really, presence but no texture or rumble. I say this plugged into a WA7 and an HA-1.

These may sound good for some things, but man people who like these must not like highs or care about sub-bass at all.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

So I'm really trying to like the HD650. I really am. Unfortunately they kind of loving suck. The highs are completely lacking, if you can enjoy Pink Floyd's "Great Gig in the Sky" then I'm very confused. The sub-bass offers nothing really, presence but no texture or rumble. I say this plugged into a WA7 and an HA-1.

These may sound good for some things, but man people who like these must not like highs or care about sub-bass at all.
When I listen to Norah Jones' "Don't Know Why", it sounds like she's singing to me live.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Funnily enough, someone just shared on /r/headphones that they hated the HD 650s at first and then shortly started enjoying them. They said that Electro Harmonix tubes in their WA7 made the difference. I've always heard the 650s described as the "fun" alternative to the 700/800s so I'm surprised to read this post.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

me your dad posted:

After suffering from upgrade fever and much deliberation, I finally pulled the trigger on a set of NAD Visor HP50. I got them from the Crutchfield Outlet as scratch & dent for $212, which seems to be a good deal. They're supposed to arrive tomorrow so I look forward to hearing something other than my ATH-M50 :)

So I got these today but the stupid cable they provide is about three feet long so I can't even use them at work due to the location of my desktop tower.

There's nothing special about the cable other than it being flat, right? I should just be able to get a Male/Male 3.5 cable and it should work fine?

Stink fag
Aug 21, 2014
I got those v-modas that were on sale on Amazon and they sound like total poo poo. All the positive reviews I'm seeing for them make me feel like i'm being gang stalked.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Midorka posted:

Okay dudes, starting the hype machine now: Limitless Creations HP3BK. NVX sent me them today, they're the sister company of NVX. I threw these on about 30 minutes ago and haven't wanted to remove them. Without knowing the MSRP I suspected around $120+ and was drat near spot on. So these sound like $120 headphones and are $130 headphones, but are retailing for $40 right now.

The sound has a slight mid-bass hump with a slight scoop out of the mids with mellow highs. Not rolled off, just not accented. The sound reminds me a bit of the NVX XPT100/Brainwavz HM5 from memory. I have my XPT100 I will do a comparison to later, but for $40 these are worth every penny and more. I don't know how long the deal is going to last but for $40 you're getting a hell of a deal.
These arrived today. The website said they were shipping on the 5th and the customer service rep tried to snow me when I called to complain. Once they were finally in stock they shipped UPS 2 day so you can probably buy them now without an absurd delay.

I've always used Grados so they sound very different, but for $38 I'm happy.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

Funnily enough, someone just shared on /r/headphones that they hated the HD 650s at first and then shortly started enjoying them. They said that Electro Harmonix tubes in their WA7 made the difference. I've always heard the 650s described as the "fun" alternative to the 700/800s so I'm surprised to read this post.

Yeah that was me. The HD650 finally clicked with me this morning when listening to Tame Impala with the EH tubes. I can see why people like these, but once the WA7 goes back I likely won't listen to the HD650 with my HA-1. The EH tubes really do something to bring the sound together. It's not a huge change, but I find it noticeable.

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

These arrived today. The website said they were shipping on the 5th and the customer service rep tried to snow me when I called to complain. Once they were finally in stock they shipped UPS 2 day so you can probably buy them now without an absurd delay.

I've always used Grados so they sound very different, but for $38 I'm happy.

Oh yeah definitely different than Grado for sure.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
What Amp/Dac combinations do people recommend for the Sennheiser HD800? I know that the range of electronics people suggest can be from $200 to $5000 for these headphones, but I'm all ears.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

ntan1 posted:

What Amp/Dac combinations do people recommend for the Sennheiser HD800? I know that the range of electronics people suggest can be from $200 to $5000 for these headphones, but I'm all ears.

I mean $1,200 will get you an Oppo HA-1, but I dunno how it compares to other top end amps with the HD800 since I've never heard the HD800. The WA7 is pretty great too. I've only tested it with the HD650 thus far though.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

I mean $1,200 will get you an Oppo HA-1, but I dunno how it compares to other top end amps with the HD800 since I've never heard the HD800. The WA7 is pretty great too. I've only tested it with the HD650 thus far though.

I can't wait until you get your hands on a geek pulse.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

What makes you say that?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Midorka posted:

I hear the WA7 is one potential solid choice, as is the Oppo HA-1. I hear a lot of people claim that tube amps are preferable with the HD800, as these headphones tend to sound harsh with a solid state amplifier.

Question: How much of a difference is there between the $1000-2000 price point and $2500+ price point? IE. WA7 versus WA5, or HA-1 versus things like the GS-X MkII/Liquid Glass? I'm guessing that you have good ears. For you is it worth it? Is it quantifiable?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I only have experience with the WA7 and HA-1 for top tier combos. I can say that the WA7 is better with the WA7 even with stock tubes, though I'd recommend the upgraded EH tubes with the HD650. Further than that? I dunno.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

I am super happy with my current combo of the Valhalla 2 (Amp) and Bifrost Uber (DAC). Less than a grand for the two of them and I get the power I want combined with zero noise issues. Total blackness when not playing sound and that's just what I want. Keep in mind that I was looking for a reference sound and not an amp to distort anything to make up for what some see as flaws in the 800s. I can't pretend to know too much about the electrical engineering behind the reasoning but the Valhalla has been getting a lot of love on audiophile forums as a pairing with the 800 because it is an tube amp that is known to be neutral due to the fact that it does not have an output transformer. My light reading taught me that an output transformer is a big part of why a tube amp might distort the sound you hear. Beyond that, I'm not an audio engineer so someone more knowledgeable here can probably go into detail. I recently went to a LAN party and actually brought my audio gear for some of my buddies who are into jazz. When I moved things back up here at home I must have lightly shifted the tubes around so that they properly settled in. Before at high volume on the amp I could hear some background noise from the tubes but now 100% sounds the exact same as 0%! That's a happy accident.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Dec 19, 2014

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
So it turns out the issue with my new headphones having a hiss when plugged into my PC was just the right channel. I updated the Realtek driver (it's an Asus Z87-C motherboard) and the hiss only occurs when I select 'headphones' in the realtek software that pops up when I plug them in to the audio jack. What the gently caress realtek :(
I am fine using the 'Front left and right speakers' option instead, but will this affect positional audio in games?

MalleusDei
Mar 21, 2007

Suggestions for replacement tips? I just tore one of the tips that came with my RockIt r-50s.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

ntan1 posted:

Highish output impedance and no global negative feedback usually worked best for me with those. Solid state is not usually linear enough to work without feedback, so this usually means tubes. Because the HD800s have such little accoustic damping, some smart people suggested low feedback reduces IMD originating from signals tha the drivers inject into the amp. The higher output impedance will dampen this, and also provide a bit of a bass boost with those particular cans.

Pretty much anything that calls itself a single ended triode (SET) would fit the bill, but my preference is for transformer-coupled parafeed. If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Torpedo is a fairly good implementation. I'm not aware of any commercial ones being produced now. Otherwise, Donal North Audio has some nice SETs that aren't terribly expensive on the used market. The Vali and Crack are good at their price points, and I'd love to hear the Valhalla 2. If you want solid state and don't mind having a space heater, the Firstwatt F5 is phenomanal.

Incredulous Dylan posted:

My light reading taught me that an output transformer is a big part of why a tube amp might distort the sound you hear. Beyond that, I'm not an audio engineer so someone more knowledgeable here can probably go into detail.

This is true of the big old steel transformers found in single ended amps especially, but not so with modern transformers. Here's an application note (AN-104) from Cinemag. A properly designed transformer for headphone applications won't exceed a THD of 0.01% at the lowest registers at high listening levels.

The disortion bump from M6 steel cores is part of what people associate to vintage tube sound (and contributes to the "loose" bass). With most companies offering nickel core now, transformers work really well with headphones, and in some cases sound better than the large coupling caps used in OTL designs.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

PretentiousFood posted:

Solid state is not usually linear enough to work without feedback, so this usually means tubes.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Recommendations for 17 hour flights < $125? Any style, mostly care about jet drone and price.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Could you explain what you mean by this?

I think he's referring to feedback for attenuation of solid-state amplifiers. Solid-state amps tend to have very high open-loop gain, but it's also highly non-linear. You attenuate the gain and also widen the bandwidth using feedback circuitry (as simple as feedback resistors, or more complex) but this also introduces frequency-dependent phase lag.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

PretentiousFood posted:

Highish output impedance and no global negative feedback usually worked best for me with those. Solid state is not usually linear enough to work without feedback, so this usually means tubes. Because the HD800s have such little accoustic damping, some smart people suggested low feedback reduces IMD originating from signals tha the drivers inject into the amp. The higher output impedance will dampen this, and also provide a bit of a bass boost with those particular cans.

Pretty much anything that calls itself a single ended triode (SET) would fit the bill, but my preference is for transformer-coupled parafeed. If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Torpedo is a fairly good implementation. I'm not aware of any commercial ones being produced now. Otherwise, Donal North Audio has some nice SETs that aren't terribly expensive on the used market. The Vali and Crack are good at their price points, and I'd love to hear the Valhalla 2. If you want solid state and don't mind having a space heater, the Firstwatt F5 is phenomanal.

Yes, I've heard people recommend the DNA Stratus, among other tube amps. I had been looking at the Valhalla. From the solid state side of things, I hear that the amps that specifically match the HD800 are, in order of price, Violectric V200, Schiit Ragnarok, Headamp GSX MkII.

PretentiousFood
Mar 13, 2009

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I think he's referring to feedback for attenuation of solid-state amplifiers. Solid-state amps tend to have very high open-loop gain, but it's also highly non-linear. You attenuate the gain and also widen the bandwidth using feedback circuitry (as simple as feedback resistors, or more complex) but this also introduces frequency-dependent phase lag.

Yep, that's part of it. It was a bit of a blanket statement- there are many excellent ways of implementing solid state without feedback, and many terrible tubes. The 12AU7 family comes to mind here.

Focusing on the good tubes, though, here are some measurements. The tubes are all in common cathode configuration (which provides voltage gain) with THD listed for 10VRMS out. This page also has the distortion spectra, if you click on the tubes' names. The 4P1L is a good example of a scary low distortion tube with a very nice distortion spectrum- mostly second order, with decreasing 3rd and 4th. Even the second order component is 70dB or so down.

There isn't much to compare this to in the solid state world. It's easy to produce lots of gain and burn it off as feedback. The FirstWatt F2 is somewhat similar (5-10W, single gain stage, no feedback) and is rated for 1% THD. It's not an entirely fair comparison, though.

ntan1 posted:

Yes, I've heard people recommend the DNA Stratus, among other tube amps. I had been looking at the Valhalla. From the solid state side of things, I hear that the amps that specifically match the HD800 are, in order of price, Violectric V200, Schiit Ragnarok, Headamp GSX MkII.

If you don't want to wait a year for a GS-X (which is on its last run, I think), you should look into the Dynalo/Dynahi. They're the DIY designs behind the GS-X, and can probably be had for much less on the used market.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

thats not candy posted:

Recommendations for 17 hour flights < $125? Any style, mostly care about jet drone and price.

Any IEM that can use the Shure 'black olive' style foam tips.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The V-Moda M-80s are on sale for 79.99 on sale right now. On amazon for another Ends in 02h 59m with free 1 day shipping.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Okay I've only succeeded in confusing myself by looking all over the place so let's start over from the beginning. Given a budget of $200-300 (taking sales into account), what are generally the best headphones that always get recommended?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

pandaK posted:

Okay I've only succeeded in confusing myself by looking all over the place so let's start over from the beginning. Given a budget of $200-300 (taking sales into account), what are generally the best headphones that always get recommended?
The HD650 was on sale for $295 last week.

PardonMeHippo
Feb 18, 2011
I'm looking for some new headphones for work. I was thinking IEMs would be the way to go, since I'm around loud machines for a lot of the day so I already wear earplugs most of the time. Open headphones don't work because I have to turn them up way too loud.

Budget: $150 or lower
Source: iphone
Isolation Requirements: high
Preferred Type of Headphone: IEM
Preferred Tonal Balance: balanced
Past Headphones: I'm using some Koss portapros at work right now, they're good budget ones but don't fit my needs. I have Grado SR-60s at home that I really like.
Preferred Music: mostly metal, other rock

Maybe the budget is overkill for mp3s in a loud environment, but I'm willing to pay for build and sound quality.
Thanks for your input!

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Requoting

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Midorka posted:

Requoting

Selfishly, I fell into their trap and gave them a bunch of money.

Unselfishly, it has been interesting to watch these guys go from wanting to make a desktop dac/amp to making all manner of audiophile grade stuff with all of the requisite pricing and buzzwords. I think they are starting to ship units now.

I actually paid to upgrade it to balanced and plan to use it with my LCD-XCs. Maybe I just need to realize that I am a sucker and move on.

Iced
Jun 18, 2009

Sometimes I eat in Jeff's car.

Don't tell him.

Is the Sennheiser HD555 considered outdated now? I've had my pair for a long time (4 years I believe) and they're still holding up very well, especially considering that I use them for many hours every day.

But I'm just wondering how different the 2014 equivalent of the HD555 is, or if it's time for me to upgrade to the next "tier" of headphones.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Selfishly, I fell into their trap and gave them a bunch of money.

Unselfishly, it has been interesting to watch these guys go from wanting to make a desktop dac/amp to making all manner of audiophile grade stuff with all of the requisite pricing and buzzwords. I think they are starting to ship units now.

I actually paid to upgrade it to balanced and plan to use it with my LCD-XCs. Maybe I just need to realize that I am a sucker and move on.

Ah gotcha. Never heard their products, but I have talked with them. They seem nice.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Iced posted:

Is the Sennheiser HD555 considered outdated now? I've had my pair for a long time (4 years I believe) and they're still holding up very well, especially considering that I use them for many hours every day.

But I'm just wondering how different the 2014 equivalent of the HD555 is, or if it's time for me to upgrade to the next "tier" of headphones.

Just keep them until they break.

Having owned a pair of HD555 and a pair of HD558(or whatever same but different phones it was) I can tell you it's not gonna be forever.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

pandaK posted:

HD600/650
AKG Q701/K702
DT880

Sometimes known as the 'Big 3'. Basically still recommended and fondly talked about despite being released years ago. I'd start from there if you're not sure what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

halokiller posted:

HD600/650
AKG Q701/K702
DT880

Sometimes known as the 'Big 3'. Basically still recommended and fondly talked about despite being released years ago. I'd start from there if you're not sure what you want.

Also keep in mind the k7xx which is just the newest iteration of the the AKG and the Fidelio x2 ($300) which tyll recommends over the hd600