Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Getsuya posted:

Wait but will those stick around forever? Doesn't the test poster cycle out stuff ever?

They're there fooooreeevveeer. They don't cycle or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The test poster stores text files, basically, which are no more than maybe a couple kilobytes at most. Baldurk's not losing any server or hard drive space from keeping ancient test poster stuff from years past.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Pins posted:

This is a good post.

lol let's all make assumptions about things!

Yeah seriously what's his loving problem I'm definitely not a well-adjusted adult and I'm pretty sure anyone who reads LP or responds to this thread isn't either.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

How often / when was the last time a thread was closed / gassed and the OP told to post in the sandcastle? I don't regularly check the thread list as I already follow more LPs than I can manage so I honestly don't know.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~

Garrand posted:

How often / when was the last time a thread was closed / gassed and the OP told to post in the sandcastle? I don't regularly check the thread list as I already follow more LPs than I can manage so I honestly don't know.

Probably not for a long time because any time someone posts a thread that wasn't in the sandcastle in the first place people immediately dumpster them and tell them to LP kill themselves for not doing so. I think by this point people have learned that the LP community has a zero tolerance policy towards it so people are afraid like they are afraid of Hitler.

What I'm saying is that LP is actually just the Gaschamber.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm fairly certain one of Gamingo's threads got gassed/closed because he dumped like a full Youtube LP at once, but I don't think he was told to post in the sandcastle.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

RotationSurgeon posted:

Probably not for a long time because any time someone posts a thread that wasn't in the sandcastle in the first place people immediately dumpster them and tell them to LP kill themselves for not doing so. I think by this point people have learned that the LP community has a zero tolerance policy towards it so people are afraid like they are afraid of Hitler.

What I'm saying is that LP is actually just the Gaschamber.

Are you trolling or do you honestly live in some weird alternate reality where the forum is centered around this thread?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

CJacobs posted:

I'm fairly certain one of Gamingo's threads got gassed/closed because he dumped like a full Youtube LP at once, but I don't think he was told to post in the sandcastle.

That or one of valkhorn's threads. Pretty sure Geop himself told Gamingo to get help in the Sandcastle, though. These days I mostly see people mentioning the Sandcastle as a suggestion. Like, I don't really see people demanding that posters get approval from the Sandcastle anymore (link me, if I'm wrong, plz), more so that they suggest it as a place to get help if they want it, while simultaneously saying they should also :justpost: what they want and that their LP will live or die on whether or not it's any good.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Blind Sally posted:

Like, I don't really see people demanding that posters get approval from the Sandcastle anymore (link me, if I'm wrong, plz), more so that they suggest it as a place to get help if they want it

Also that only really happens either with someone new or with a bad thread, usually both. If someone's new and/or makes an LP where there's a fairly glaring issue with it, people are going to point it out and suggest they ask for advice in the sandcastle because the assumption is that the LPer wants to make a good LP and wasn't aware of either the sandcastle or the flaws in their videos.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Well, this seems like a good time to jump in with a test post. :sweatdrop:

I want to showcase Winter Voices, a Nordic-inspired French indie RPG. Yes, it is exactly as pretentious as that description makes it sound, but there is also moodiness, world-building, character development, awesome isometric "combats" against inner demons, and great music galore.
OP: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21290

Test Update 1: http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=21291

Mainly I'm wondering if the image sizes are okay on people's monitors, and if the image to :words: ratio is good. Any other advice is also appreciated, since other than two turns in a Crusader Kings succession game, this is my first experience doing a Let's Play.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I wish I could find a link to the sad piano track on South Park that play's whenever a lesson is learned. That way I could make some joke about how the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

I want to showcase Winter Voices, a Nordic-inspired French indie RPG. Yes, it is exactly as pretentious as that description makes it sound, but there is also moodiness, world-building, character development, awesome isometric "combats" against inner demons, and great music galore.

Mainly I'm wondering if the image sizes are okay on people's monitors, and if the image to :words: ratio is good. Any other advice is also appreciated, since other than two turns in a Crusader Kings succession game, this is my first experience doing a Let's Play.

They're a bit on the big size, I dunno. But it looks like you're cropping them individually. Did you know that IrfanView has a batch crop option that lets you crop a whole set of images in a single go at the same size???

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

A couple minor things I'd suggest:
Do something to your own commentary text to separate it from the game dialogue and such. Italics or something, just so that it stands out as something different and separate.
OP images are a bit big. Try to get them to 900px wide or less? I think that's the general standard around here.
Also, I'd suggest using the portrait pictures from the game in place of the "[Name]: " setup, but if that's work you don't wanna do or is troublesome, at least bolding the names would be nice.

Other than that, it looks fine! Seems a bit artsy, but it's something I otherwise would have never heard of, so I'd be interested in seeing more.

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Blind Sally posted:

They're a bit on the big size, I dunno. But it looks like you're cropping them individually. Did you know that IrfanView has a batch crop option that lets you crop a whole set of images in a single go at the same size???

...I do now. :ohdear: Thanks.

ChorpSaway posted:

A couple minor things I'd suggest:
Do something to your own commentary text to separate it from the game dialogue and such. Italics or something, just so that it stands out as something different and separate.
OP images are a bit big. Try to get them to 900px wide or less? I think that's the general standard around here.
Also, I'd suggest using the portrait pictures from the game in place of the "[Name]: " setup, but if that's work you don't wanna do or is troublesome, at least bolding the names would be nice.

Other than that, it looks fine! Seems a bit artsy, but it's something I otherwise would have never heard of, so I'd be interested in seeing more.
I will do these things. I think I'll go with bolding the names, since there are a whole lot of characters that don't have portraits. I'm definitely going to italicize the parts I added, too. Thanks for the pro tips.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Sweet. The Tech Support Fort can get you set up if you need help figuring it out. There's a handy guide on the Batch crop feature here, too: http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Screenshots_the_Easy_Way

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RotationSurgeon posted:

any time someone posts a thread that wasn't in the sandcastle in the first place people immediately dumpster them and tell them to LP kill themselves for not doing so.
The vast majority of LPs don't go through the Sandcastle so yeah this isn't really a thing

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Blind Sally posted:

Sweet. The Tech Support Fort can get you set up if you need help figuring it out. There's a handy guide on the Batch crop feature here, too: http://salp.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Screenshots_the_Easy_Way

All posted up here, for those interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688537

Batch cropping will be extremely useful in the future, I believe.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Looks lovely. Plenty of other people have mentioned the screenshot size thing, so the only other thing to say is that I'll look forward to it going live!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Friends, feel free to take your issues with the establishment and with caring about not caring to a sure to be successful thread in non-oppressive environment,

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Not sure why folks are ragging on Zorak. I'm the one who handed out the probations, y'know :v:

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Geop posted:

Not sure why folks are ragging on Zorak. I'm the one who handed out the probations, y'know :v:
Well, excluding mine.

Obviously, they must be fans of mine.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Next time :arghfist:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Geop posted:

I'm pretty sure this is just an elaborately dressed asylum by this point.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I can't believe LP was an FBI honeypot the whole time. :(

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

RotationSurgeon posted:

Probably not for a long time because any time someone posts a thread that wasn't in the sandcastle in the first place people immediately dumpster them and tell them to LP kill themselves for not doing so.

This is not a thing that actually happens though.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

steinrokkan posted:

Friends, feel free to take your issues with the establishment and with caring about not caring to a sure to be successful thread in non-oppressive environment,

did you really think this would work

also i'm glad the three month rule and entrancejew are dead

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Putty posted:

Yeah I heard he was a white guy anyway.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Putty posted:

I miss both EntranceJew and the Three Month Rule.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
EntranceJew cried for our Pins.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011
I don't post a lot on SA so I'm prepared to probably get eaten alive for this post.

I read the first post, so to clarify this isn't an interest check in an LP - but more advice on exactly how to do a screenshot-based one.

As I have found out, the Vita has handily enough a built in screenshot feature which kind of helps with trying to do a LP. However, I'm not entirely sure the best way to go about it. Screencapping every possible bit of dialogue is not impossible, but it also means a lot of extra screenshots... I know from skimming some, it's not a bad idea to just screencap the start or an interesting bit of the convo, and just provide a text script of all the inbetweens. But is there a generally accepted "rule of thumb" for this, or is it basically something you just have to figure out and adapt?

I'm also aware the Vita kind of watermarks all the screenshots, so I'm not sure if that's something I should have to remove, or if it's okay. Or if I just need to not do a screenshot-based LP using something like that, and I'd have to get like a modded Vita or just do something on a PC because that has all kinds of easily accessible stuff to do LP's of.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

might help to tell me what game exactly you're planning on doing

my recommendation would be to use some screens, then transcribe the text in between using headshots of the talking characters

also using the screenshot function is fine, but also probably a pain for you yourself

e: i'll post one of my own sslps to give you an example of one way to approach things:

quote:

Daddy’s really late. I even got a message from the guild saying he’d be home today, too...

I’m sooooo bored! Maybe I’ll just practice with my staff a bit more before dinner.

Man’s Voice: Hey! I’m home!

Daddy!

Did you take good care of the house while I was away?
*giggle* Of course I did! Did you run into any trouble, Daddy? You didn’t get hurt fighting the bad monsters, did you?
Nope. I’m as fit as a fiddle! That reminds me though, I brought you a present.
Really!? What kind of present?! A new fishing pole? Sneakers? Something for my training?!

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 17, 2014

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Generally the most reliable way to make an SSLP is to record video and take screenshots from that, so you can also pull GIFs out of it without having to say "there was a cool thing that happened, but I missed it". Which is annoying on newer handhelds that can't be emulated (or emulated that well).

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

krisslanza posted:

As I have found out, the Vita has handily enough a built in screenshot feature which kind of helps with trying to do a LP. However, I'm not entirely sure the best way to go about it. Screencapping every possible bit of dialogue is not impossible, but it also means a lot of extra screenshots... I know from skimming some, it's not a bad idea to just screencap the start or an interesting bit of the convo, and just provide a text script of all the inbetweens. But is there a generally accepted "rule of thumb" for this, or is it basically something you just have to figure out and adapt?

I'm also aware the Vita kind of watermarks all the screenshots, so I'm not sure if that's something I should have to remove, or if it's okay. Or if I just need to not do a screenshot-based LP using something like that, and I'd have to get like a modded Vita or just do something on a PC because that has all kinds of easily accessible stuff to do LP's of.

The rule of thumb is basically just what you said: start the conversation with a screencap and then use text for the rest, and only switch back to screenshots if something happens like a character gestures or changes his/her expression. If the game you're thinking of is wordy, then it'll help to find a script dump online, but that's not a requirement so much as a good idea. It's also good to use character portraits as talking heads for the text portion, but if you do you should keep them on the smallish side, around 50-75 pixels wide.

As for the watermarks, I generally don't care unless the mark is particularly obnoxious, but I know it can be pretty distracting for some folks. So if you can find an easy way to deal with the watermarks, then you should go ahead and do so, but if it were me I wouldn't worry too much about it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Putty posted:

did you really think this would work

Yeah, that's why I opened it with such a high effort post.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

krisslanza posted:

I don't post a lot on SA so I'm prepared to probably get eaten alive for this post.

I read the first post, so to clarify this isn't an interest check in an LP - but more advice on exactly how to do a screenshot-based one.

No clue on the Vita stuff, but I'm sure LPs have been done from a couple of Vita games so hopefully someone can clarify that stuff. If possible (and not expensive), try to record video and take the screenshots from that, since you won't have "And then he slices his head off but I forgot to capture that oh well" moments and can make GIFs and videos if wanted.

As for dialogue, generally the way it's done in screenshot LP's is

[pic01]

[person01] Blah blah blah.
[person02] What?
[person01] I said, "Blah blah blah."

[pic02]

Where you have character portraits in place of the "[person]" stuff, usually around 50x50 to 75x75. You can use a script dump for this, and I'm pretty sure most people do so when possible (though I'm one of those weird people who simply take screenshots of all dialogue and type everything out). I generally put in a new screenshot when there's a change in the scene or a new topic in the conversation or something important is being stated, which helps keep a nice distribution between screenshots and text dialogue. Most games will probably give you character portraits or at least sprites to resize and crop into dialogue portraits, or you could do the same with official art. You could also get away with a generic portrait for no-name townspeople or whatever.

I suggest checking out a few random screenshot LPs in the forums and at the LP archive and steal the best ideas for inspiration.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

krisslanza posted:

An important thing to note is that just because you take a screenshot doesn't mean you need to work it into the update. Absolutely screenshot every line of dialogue if you want to, because then you have an image to transcribe the text off of and then delete. Hammer that screenshot button whenever you even suspect you might want a shot, and just sort through and trim hard afterward. It's better than going back through a section because you missed something.

For the watermark, it would probably help if we had an example. It might be nothing, or it might be ludicrously distracting, and we can't know to say whether it's okay without knowing what it looks like. (Though a good rule of thumb is that if you feel you have to point out where it is in the example shot, it's probably fine.)

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

An important thing to note is that just because you take a screenshot doesn't mean you need to work it into the update. Absolutely screenshot every line of dialogue if you want to, because then you have an image to transcribe the text off of and then delete. Hammer that screenshot button whenever you even suspect you might want a shot, and just sort through and trim hard afterward. It's better than going back through a section because you missed something.

For the watermark, it would probably help if we had an example. It might be nothing, or it might be ludicrously distracting, and we can't know to say whether it's okay without knowing what it looks like. (Though a good rule of thumb is that if you feel you have to point out where it is in the example shot, it's probably fine.)

Well the game I was thinking of was Valhalla Knights 3 on the Vita. And after checking some screenshots I had laying around, it turns out I'm retarded - VK3 does not watermark screenshots like some Vita games, so I don't have to worry about that all. :downs:

Thank you all for the feedback though! I'll try doing a sample thing using that SSLP thing and try a balance. There's not a huge massive amount of dialogue in VK3, and the game is all in all pretty mediocre. It's just somehow enjoyable enough to me to bother playing it, and heck if I know. Just something I've wanted to do, I suppose.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

This is the type of watermark the Vita likes to put on games.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

krisslanza posted:

Well the game I was thinking of was Valhalla Knights 3 on the Vita. And after checking some screenshots I had laying around, it turns out I'm retarded - VK3 does not watermark screenshots like some Vita games, so I don't have to worry about that all. :downs:

Thank you all for the feedback though! I'll try doing a sample thing using that SSLP thing and try a balance. There's not a huge massive amount of dialogue in VK3, and the game is all in all pretty mediocre. It's just somehow enjoyable enough to me to bother playing it, and heck if I know. Just something I've wanted to do, I suppose.

Whip something up and use your judgment on what we need to see and what we don't. From what I know about that game I'm sure you can manage to show off what you want so try it out and see what you can get away with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Goat posted:

This is the type of watermark the Vita likes to put on games.

That doesn't look that offensive to me, I'd say let it ride.

• Locked thread