Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Scooping up all the little bits of asteroid after mining gets tedious real fast. There isn't a tractor beam or something I can fit right?

There is not, its unfortunate.

I want mining drones that collector ore for you. Sadly I can't remember if I made this up in my head or remembered it from the old design document.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Slap in the face imho

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

:bahgawd::hf::911::arghfist:

"If you want my frame shift interdictor, come and get it! These crimes would never happen if the frame shift interdictors had frame shift interdictors, it's not frame shift interdictors that interdict it's people something something because"

- excerpts from hypernet discussion boards, circa 3300

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
The only thing that can stop a bad guy with an FSD interdictor is a good guy with an FSD interdictor. :911:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Really enjoying my Adder, would recommend, it now has 3 guns, one that aims for me which is great and I have taken to looking at USS's and blowing up NPCs that are wanted, it's good fun.

I didn't bother upgrading before now because of the wipe that never came and now I have upgraded most of the ship it's really versatile and fun.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
It's a real value Adder.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
edit: double post, wtf

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The download time on the loader is terrible, and also times out a lot so I can't leave it downloading while I'm at work without it dying. I've been downloading since yesterday and it's only at half progress. They should have used a goddamn global CDN for their assets, it's not even expensive to do, probably even cheaper than whatever they're doing right now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kesper North posted:

It's a real value Adder.

It's awesome just because it has 2 front seats, I am a space trucker!

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Unzip and Attack posted:

The only thing that can stop a bad guy with an FSD interdictor is a good guy with an FSD interdictor. :911:
That and/or hurling yourself into the sun out of spite when an interdiction begins.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So there seems to be some confusion from some posters in this thread as to how online play works so I figured I would clarify as much as possible here, with the hopes of it being added to the OP.

There are three types of gamemodes to select from when you want to play the game: Open Play, Private Group and Solo Play.

Solo play is just that. You will be alone. There will be NPC's. However the game has a dynamic world which is affected by player interactions and NPC simulations. Things like commodity markets are affected by how many players come in and grab up certain goods, and also affected by a simulation intended to represent NPC commodity purchasing/selling. Furthermore other things like faction takeovers, slave revolts, and the like are also all affected by player interactions. Though solo mode is playing by yourself, the game still needs an internet connection because it talks to the servers in order to get information on the multiplayer-affected aspects of the game. So if Cmdr A in solo play buys a truck load of goods in Butts Station, Cmdr B, also in solo play, will be affected by it, even though he can never technically see him.

Private group is the same as solo mode only you can specify who is in your group, and those are the only players you will see, and you will only see them if they are playing private group as well. This game mode is also affected by the dynamic world. Private group involves instances much like open play, see below.

Open play is your typical multiplayer. However this game uses instances, or as the developers call them, islands. The max number of players in a single instance is 32 players, although good luck ever seeing that many. There are three types of instances, common instances, private instances, and supercruise instances.

Super cruise instances are system wide instances. These only occur when you enter super cruise. Basically when you enter supercruise you will exit your current instance, and enter a new one. Here you will be able to see other NPC's and players travelling through the system in Super Cruise.

Common instances - Are areas where you will be in normal space (non-super cruise) and will be able to commonly come across other players/npcs. An example of these would be: Stations, resource extraction zones, etc. When you drop into a common instance the game will see if there are any other player instances and if there are, it will drop you into that one. If there are more than one instances available to choose from the game will choose the one that has your friends first, and then it will choose one that you have cached contacts with (For instance if you see jerk A in super cruise, and then he drops out at a station that you also drop out at, the game will try and put you in an instance with him). This system is not perfect and does not work 100%.

Private Instances - Are areas where you drop out of super cruise for whatever reason somewhere random in space. If you drop out near a point of interest (planetary rings, unkown signal sources etc) you have a chance of having NPC's show up. Furthermore if a player sees you drop out they can follow you into your private instance by targetting your low-energy wake. Generally though if you drop out in the middle of space, you will see no one.

I hope this helps someone.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 17, 2014

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There is not, its unfortunate.

I want mining drones that collector ore for you. Sadly I can't remember if I made this up in my head or remembered it from the old design document.

Frontier had mining machines that you dropped on a celestial body, then came back to pick up and it would have ore on it, IIRC.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
If you're doing the alt-tab semi afk fuel scooping thing, do it at just over minimal thrust and you won't auto-submit to interdiction.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Slap in the face imho

I would love to see the reaction on the official forums if they added tractor beams or autopilot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Not quite. USS are private instances, and you CAN join another players "private" instance (and guarantee joining their other instances) by targeting their wake while in supercruise and using it to jump out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Pochoclo posted:

Frontier had mining machines that you dropped on a celestial body, then came back to pick up and it would have ore on it, IIRC.

They looked exactly like comic book oil rigs, too.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

GlyphGryph posted:

Not quite. USS are private instances, and you CAN join another players "private" instance (and guarantee joining their other instances) by targeting their wake while in supercruise and using it to jump out.

Thanks I will fix that first part. I did mention your second point in my post though.

Can anyone confirm my quesiton about energy wakes. Are high energy wakes only for hyper jumps or they include entering super cruise? Are low energy wakes just for dropping out of super cruise? You only need a wake scanner for high energy wakes correct?

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 17, 2014

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

I am enjoying flying about but I have little direction - I tried to do a "Kill 2 pirates mission" but didn't get very far. It said I had to go to three systems to kill 2 Pirates but I could never find any. Suggestions?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Scooping up all the little bits of asteroid after mining gets tedious real fast. There isn't a tractor beam or something I can fit right?

I did enjoy the "Tractor All" command in Freelancer.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

iGestalt posted:

I am enjoying flying about but I have little direction - I tried to do a "Kill 2 pirates mission" but didn't get very far. It said I had to go to three systems to kill 2 Pirates but I could never find any. Suggestions?

Nav beacons, resource collection points, USS drops.

Shoot ships that scan as "wanted" to you.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Pochoclo posted:

The download time on the loader is terrible, and also times out a lot so I can't leave it downloading while I'm at work without it dying. I've been downloading since yesterday and it's only at half progress. They should have used a goddamn global CDN for their assets, it's not even expensive to do, probably even cheaper than whatever they're doing right now.

Where are you and what's your connection speed? I downloaded minutes after launch without issue, it was just a little slower than normal.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Knifegrab posted:

Thanks I will fix that first part. I did mention your second point in my post though.

Further clarifications then!

NPCs can join your private instances. They won't, generally, in open space, but if you're dropping out in proximity to a belt of some sort, you can count on them showing up. This is primarily a concern for miners - it used to be private instances were NPC-proof, but nowadays pirates will often show up to gently caress you over.

So USS are a type of private instance.
Players can follow you into a private instance (and if a crime is committed, the cops can follow)
NPCs can arrive at private instances near targets of interest.

Also, "private instances" sometimes... well, if you drop out, you can then fly towards a station and actually make it there in slow-time, so I'm not even sure if that's really correct or what.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Further clarifications then!

NPCs can join your private instances. They won't, generally, in open space, but if you're dropping out in proximity to a belt of some sort, you can count on them showing up. This is primarily a concern for miners - it used to be private instances were NPC-proof, but nowadays pirates will often show up to gently caress you over.

So USS are a type of private instance.
Players can follow you into a private instance (and if a crime is committed, the cops can follow)
NPCs can arrive at private instances near targets of interest.

Also, "private instances" sometimes... well, if you drop out, you can then fly towards a station and actually make it there in slow-time, so I'm not even sure if that's really correct or what.

Thanks will make note of this. I editted my post above with some questions about energy wakes, do you have info on that?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
So this is why I was suddenly attacked by John Galt: I was skulking around close to some asteroid belts when he showed up.

In other news, I've finally reached Alliance space. And my first mission is completed: Some Alliance-station wanted some more tea and payed 10K just for me flying to the next system over and collecting it. Sweet! Also first collision with overeager advertisement-signs. (Thank the gods for energy shields.)

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

How you find resource extraction sites for bounty hunting? I dont understand.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Knifegrab posted:

Can anyone confirm my quesiton about energy wakes. Are high energy wakes only for hyper jumps or they include entering super cruise? Are low energy wakes just for dropping out of super cruise? You only need a wake scanner for high energy wakes correct?

High Energy Wakes are left behind when a ship jumps from either Newtonian space or Super Cruise into Hyper - i. e. a jump to another star system.

Low Energy Wakes are left behind when a ship jumps from Newtownian space into Super Cruise or from Super Cruise into Newtonian space.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Sylink posted:

They are usually located in the rings of planets.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sylink posted:

Go to a gas giant with rings. They show up like unidentified signal sources.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ok, then what ? You just show up at the ring and scan or will this be obvious? And are scanners directional?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sylink posted:

Uh, when you open your navigation window, all resource extraction sites in a system are listed. You just target them and fly over. (Sometimes, in unknown systems, you don't see all of them at once. I had to scout some planets/belts before they started to show up.)

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Sylink posted:

1: Some systems have resource extraction points. These systems generally have planets with rings of one type or another (Rocky/Metal/metallic) which is where the points are located.
2: Pirates like to attack miners and take their cargo.
3: Pirates come to REP's and hunt miners.
4: Bounty hunters hunt pirates (Or ships that scan as wanted in that system)
5: Profit is had.

Edit: Like it's said above. Known REPs will show up in your navigation panel and can be flown to like a station. Unknown reps in unexplored systems have to be discovered and scanned.

Tulips
Dec 27, 2011

Duck Hunt!

Just as an info as it's common way of making money right now - Leesti Evil Juice cannot be sold at Zhen Dock (Xihe) right now as far as I and the person I'm playing with can tell. Maybe this is due to the influence Knifegrab mentioned? As I'm guessing everyone is doing the same thing.

Thanks for clarifying the Solo/Group/Open play too.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tulips posted:

Just as an info as it's common way of making money right now - Leesti Evil Juice cannot be sold at Zhen Dock (Xihe) right now as far as I and the person I'm playing with can tell. Maybe this is due to the influence Knifegrab mentioned? As I'm guessing everyone is doing the same thing.

Thanks for clarifying the Solo/Group/Open play too.

It could be because that good is prohibitted but I am not sure if rare goods can ever be prohibitted items. Rare goods increase in value the further away you get from the system you bought it in. To be honest this sounds more like a bug. The influence I mentioned should causes prices to increase or decrease but shouldn't change the actual ability to sell...

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Knifegrab posted:

It could be because that good is prohibitted but I am not sure if rare goods can ever be prohibitted items. Rare goods increase in value the further away you get from the system you bought it in. To be honest this sounds more like a bug. The influence I mentioned should causes prices to increase or decrease but shouldn't change the actual ability to sell...

Maybe if there is 0 demand a station won't buy something? Never seen that happen with rare goods though :shrug:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Dipes posted:

I've been running slaves from the Ngalbi system to wherever they are needed. Pancaked into the side of a Coriolis starport with 4 in my hold. 44k lost there plus 35k insurance costs. Sigh.

But basically running slaves can net you 2x profit if you get the right missions.

Anyway, I think prison systems tend to have slaves for sale.

Can you doublecheck that system name? Doesn't exist as far as I can tell - maybe you meant Ngadjal?

Tulips
Dec 27, 2011

Duck Hunt!

Knifegrab posted:

The only thing is I've been trading Evil Juice to this station from Leesti for days now and all of a sudden it doesn't show up to sell. It's not showing on prohibited items either. Annoying but not the end of the world!

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

Sheep posted:

Can you doublecheck that system name? Doesn't exist as far as I can tell - maybe you meant Ngadjal?

Sorry I think it's Ngaliba not Ngalbi. It's about 2 jumps from Kremain

Dipes fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 17, 2014

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Tulips posted:

The only thing is I've been trading Evil Juice to this station from Leesti for days now and all of a sudden it doesn't show up to sell. It's not showing on prohibited items either. Annoying but not the end of the world!

You should file a ticket! But beforehand, check the demand of the item. How high is the demand?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Something I forgot to ask: What if a system the map claims is a central trading hub for fish has in fact, no fish available. Can I just wait a few minutes for the market to refresh, or do I have to jump to another agricultural system and hope for more luck?

(I accepted a reputation-mission to help combat a famine, but for some reason the gigantic fish trading hub next door turned out to be empty of fish and now I'm kind of stumped.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Blackula69 posted:

Where are you and what's your connection speed? I downloaded minutes after launch without issue, it was just a little slower than normal.

I don't know about him, but since I have issues downloading it as well; I'm in the EU (England) and have 100 mbit/s.

• Locked thread