Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bogan Krkic posted:

Maybe just name your clubs after the place and the thing that it is, like say New York City Football Club or Toronto FC who have normal club names that aren't ridiculed

Toronto FC is very much ridiculed, the FC doesn't actually stand for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

be nice wicka posted:

loving Canadians.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Seltzer posted:

...but if it's something like the Colorado Rapids it's cartoonish and "mickey mouse league" stuff...

Colorado is kind of both. It's name was inspired by the local river rapids in Colorado and given soccer cred through Rapid Vienna. Before they rebranded the first time (to Inter Milan style black and blue vertical stripes) They wore green and white like Rapid Vienna.

Both of these are from 1996, the inaugural year for the Colorado Rapids.

In 2006 they switched from green and white to black and blue

Then in 2007 they planned a name change and rebranding to Arsenal Colorado. Someone on their web team leaked the new colors and badge early on their website.

Either the deal with Arsenal was not finalized yet or they listened to the fan backlash and didn't end up changing the name, but kept the new colors.

In conclusion, the Colorado Rapids are a complex tapestry of Mickey Mouse League and manufactured heritage.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
Real Salt Lake will never not be the most hilarious thing ever, it's loving shameful

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Colorado is kind of both. It's name was inspired by the local river rapids in Colorado and given soccer cred through Rapid Vienna. Before they rebranded the first time (to Inter Milan style black and blue vertical stripes) They wore green and white like Rapid Vienna.

i want to know who in MLS thinks they can just take random words from european clubs and somehow gain respect. they need to stop trying to break the mold with loving names. just give the teams simple names that aren't retarded, regardless of whether that means "football club" or "soccer club" or american-style nicknames, it doesn't matter, just stop trying to be clever. if your name is boring you have succeeded.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Real Salt Lake will never not be the most hilarious thing ever, it's loving shameful

the best part about real salt lake is that MLS fans think if you give it enough time people will forget how embarrassing it is

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

I agree that it's terrible, but New York / New Jersey MetroStars (because they were owned by MetroMedia) and Chivas USA (a team meant to emulate the Guadalajara Mexican league team nicknamed Chivas owned by the same guy... btw chivas means Goats) give it a run for it's money.

Kansas City used to be known as the Kansas City Wiz until trademark disputes by New York electronics retailer The Wiz (nobody beats him) forced them to change their name to the Wizards. Both of those names being a play on the Wizard of Oz which is loosely associated with Kansas. This is their old logo:

and they wore this:

which turned into:

and they wore this:

Well, they wanted more soccer cred and are now Sporting Kansas City.

and now they wear this: (which is admittedly not as bad as the wiz* stuff)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 17, 2014

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

MLS needs to increase their CONCACAFness imo, one of the new teams should be something like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrillas_One

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

GutBomb posted:

I agree that it's terrible, but New York / New Jersey MetroStars (because they were owned by MetroMedia) and Chivas USA (a team meant to emulate the Guadalajara Mexican league team nicknamed Chivas owned by the same guy... btw chivas means Goats) give it a run for it's money.

no not even close

you explained the team names by explaining the reasons they have those names. as in, they had reasons for having those names.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

no not even close

you explained the team names by explaining the reasons they have those names. as in, they had reasons for having those names.

I know I sound like I'm defending Real Salt Lake but I'm really not. It's a lovely name. But there's a reason there too. Real Madrid and Dave Checketts (Real Salt Lake owner at the time) had a partnership agreement to play friendlies to increase their status in the great mormon frontier of Utah.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

sporting kansas city should be the basis for all MLS team names. it means nothing. MLS owners can't be trusted to choose "meaningful" names that don't disgrace the entire league so instead they should just choose boring average names. their badge is ghastly though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

be nice wicka posted:

the best part about real salt lake is that MLS fans think if you give it enough time people will forget how embarrassing it is

Lmfao

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

be nice wicka posted:

That first year they used this logo (and the wordmark contained within) all over everything to emphasize how to pronounce it because so many people in Utah were pronouncing it like the english word "real" (sounds like reel)

This next logo was always around, but used as an alternate in the first year. After they felt that people had a good understanding of how to pronounce the name properly they transitioned to this less cartoony one.

Utah is unique in that about half of the people living in the state belong to a religion that values traveling to exotic (and not always nice) places and pushing the locals to follow their version of Jesus. Many of the adults who now have 5-7 kids of their own have gone on these missions so the "internationalization" of the name Real Salt Lake was seen as a plus, something to legitimize them to the "worldy yet family friendly" crowd in Utah.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe RSL has played a single home game on a Sunday out of respect for the Mormons of Salt Lake, as doing anything aside from going to church on Sunday is frowned upon.

Names like Colorado Rapids and logos like the following are what happen when you use board meetings and focus groups to start a sports team instead of them evolving organically like they did over the past hundred or so years in Europe.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 17, 2014

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I'm glad they went to all the extra effort on all their franchise livery because frankly 'Reel Salt Lake' just sounds ludicrous.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
Couldn't they have thrown in a "g" in there and called it Regal? At least then it would kind of make sense.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

mackintosh posted:

Couldn't they have thrown in a "g" in there and called it Regal? At least then it would kind of make sense.

I always thought Salt Lake Royals would have been fine. We have a Kansas City Royals baseball team so there's precedent for the name being acceptable. And it even has some transparent soccer cred as the nickname for Reading.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
What about 'Straight Outta' Salt Lake, or even this abbreviated to SO, people might mistake it for 'Soccer Organization'

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
[placename] SC would be th best option

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what about just salt lake soccer club or football club and then we can focus on the game and not your poo poo name

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

GutBomb posted:

I always thought Salt Lake Royals would have been fine. We have a Kansas City Royals baseball team so there's precedent for the name being acceptable. And it even has some transparent soccer cred as the nickname for Reading.

That would work. Though I think simple names associated with the city or geographical area are the best. Hell, they could've called themselves Salt Lake City Mormons. Even that would've been better than Real.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
United
Team
Association
H....football

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
the official mormon soccer club has a name built on the hyper catholic one, let that soak for a moment (just like RSL's fans lmbo)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think a bold, yet understated option is "AFC".

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

be nice wicka posted:

Wasn't the reason they gave at the time that they wanted to allow a nickname grow naturally rather than just choose one? That may have just been some marketing spin, but it makes sense.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mickolution posted:

Wasn't the reason they gave at the time that they wanted to allow a nickname grow naturally rather than just choose one? That may have just been some marketing spin, but it makes sense.

They said the same thing about FC Dallas too (although they also said the FC stood for Futbol Club)

FC Dallas used to be known as the Dallas Burn because Texas is famous for hot weather.

and they kept part of their history in their new logo with the flame on the bull's face

MLS also had 2 teams in Florida that folded the same year (2001)

The Tampa Bay Mutiny (Tampa Bay has a few pirate based sports teams, most notably the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of the NFL)

and Miami Fusion FC (I have no idea of the significance of the name Fusion in relation to the Miami region)

Florida now has a new team which plays in Orlando making their MLS debut next season called Orlando City SC

MLS doesn't have promotion and relegation like the rest of the world but it's been a trend in recent years to take teams from the North American minor leagues and add them to MLS at expansion time. It's not exactly the same team and sometimes it's only loosely connected to the business entities that ran the minor league team of the same name.

Recent examples are the Seattle Sounders which in one form or another is a name used by professional soccer teams in the city of Seattle for decades. The city of Seattle is near a body of water called the Puget Sound and residents of the area can refer to themselves as sounders.

Various old logos of the non-MLS Sounders:

and their current logo:

Portland Timbers are another one of those names that has been attached to several teams from different eras of American soccer.

And when they became an MLS team they changed to this:

Vancouver Whitecaps

and now their MLS logo which seems to refer to whitecaps as the snow on the tops of mountains rather than the white top of an ocean wave as previous whitecaps logos suggested.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 17, 2014

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I don't get this need to have pseudo-sophisticated or football-sounding names for teams. Just do what most of Europe does, name your teams geographically or by referencing their heritage. Legia Warsaw literally means Legion Warsaw, as it was a sports club set up by the Polish Legions, which took part in WWI and then fought in the war of 1920 giving the club its name; on the other hand, Widzew Lodz is named after a district of the city of Lodz. Slask Wroclaw literally means Silesia Wroclaw, and so on.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

GutBomb posted:

Florida now has a new team which plays in Orlando called Orlando City SC

Which used to be this:

But 2 years before was this:

Which is now this:

Soo.....History.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Cerberus Orlando would've been a cool name.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Alain Post posted:

I think a bold, yet understated option is "AFC".

im with this guy

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gigi Galli posted:

Cerberus Orlando would've been a cool name.

The Orlando Bloom.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

Mickolution posted:

The Orlando Bloom.

lol

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

GutBomb posted:

Portland Timbers are another one of those names that has been attached to several teams from different eras of American soccer.

And when they became an MLS team they changed to this:

Actually, the fan backlash against the new logo was so severe they ended up changing it prior to the official team launch to look less cartoony:

Also, the secondary logo, bottom right, is now the de facto primary team logo on all kits and marketing.

Edit:
Also also, when the team reincorporated in 2001 and joined the USL, they used the following logo:

The owners at the time were trying to distance themselves from the (unpopular with environmentalists) logging aesthetic but it was later reverted back to the 1975 logo.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 17, 2014

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

I love this badge

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Reeeeeeel Salt Lake should have just called themselves SLC AFC.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Real Salt Lake is bad but its no Real IRA, what were the marketing folks thinking?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Reeeeeeel Salt Lake should have just called themselves SLC AFC.

Salt Lake Utah Soccer.

SLUTS.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

GutBomb posted:

Kansas City used to be known as the Kansas City Wiz until trademark disputes by New York electronics retailer The Wiz (nobody beats him) forced them to change their name to the Wizards. Both of those names being a play on the Wizard of Oz which is loosely associated with Kansas. This is their old logo:

and they wore this:

which turned into:

and they wore this:

Well, they wanted more soccer cred and are now Sporting Kansas City.

and now they wear this: (which is admittedly not as bad as the wiz* stuff)

Kansas city wizards is great and they should have just owned it and kept the name and that kit forever IMO.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Syncopated posted:

Kansas city wizards is great and they should have just owned it and kept the name and that kit forever IMO.

Agreed, being a ridiculous rainbow wizard themed sports team kicks the poo poo out of trying to create some sort of authenticity by pretending to have history or affiliations to actual clubs. Bring back the Caribous of Colorado

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bogan Krkic posted:

Agreed, being a ridiculous rainbow wizard themed sports team kicks the poo poo out of trying to create some sort of authenticity by pretending to have history or affiliations to actual clubs. Bring back the Caribous of Colorado

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Toronto FC is cool and good especially compared to stupid names like Real Salt Lake or Los Angeles Galaxy or Central Coast Mariners or Brisbane Roar, imo.
Toronto FC is still try-hardy because it's not like they were formed in 1883 and were the first and only soccer club in Toronto.
Greatest uniform of all loving time and I am deeply disappointed that the Rapids don't wear replicas of these at last half a dozen times a year.

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

If we can branch out, I'm more partial to Philippine basketball team Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters

• Locked thread