Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Completely forgot about the armour headguard flipping down, and the hat toss. Thanks, guys! Is there anything different for when you dress Leon up in his RCPD outfit?

Both outfits give you a damage reduction bonus in the original game, not sure about the HD versions, but since Leon is wearing the tactical vest on the outfit you get the damage reduction bonus from the tactical vest in-game item without having to put it on. The mobster outfit makes you nigh invulnerable to bullets because of how cool it makes you look or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Completely forgot about the armour headguard flipping down, and the hat toss. Thanks, guys! Is there anything different for when you dress Leon up in his RCPD outfit?

It's also kinda funny to watch Leon look at his sleeved arm and flip out over nothing in that one cutscene. :shrug:

But I think the only version that did cutscenes in real time was the Gamecube version, so there goes that I guess.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kaubocks posted:

Sounds like I need to boot up my PS2 and finally play my copy of RE4 I never started.

Your next LP right there.

But yes, go play RE4; I've played through it a ridiculous amount of times, and it's still as fun as ever.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

Sounds like I need to boot up my PS2 and finally play my copy of RE4 I never started.

Just be aware of the fact that it's a huge departure from prior Resident Evil games, if you've played any of them. That was one of the criticisms people had when it came out, if they had any. That said it's still a fun game so yeah, definitely check it out, especially if you already own it.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
I too have picked up Resident Evil 4 HD for Xbox despite passing it multiple times on the PS2. (My gamecube version kept crashing during the minecart ride)

One question I am having trouble clarifying: Did they change the unlockable costumes special stats? I see references to the Gangster suit losing its damage resistance, others say it only protects against bullets, and others say that the tactical vest doesn't work with it and/or doesn't stack with it.

I loved (and hated) how for the first playthroughs this game was an unforgiving death fest. That first village fight really set the tone right from the start and I still hate the garden maze to this day. New players: don't buy/upgrade anything other than: Red9 and stock, striker shotgun, and semi-auto rifle (don't buy scope, has one built in.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, gently caress the TMP. You can also get a (free) upgraded Blacktail from the vendor if you do his sidequest at the beginning of the game and get all blue talismans (which is rather easy to do), which should really help at the beginning.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

timp posted:

Just be aware of the fact that it's a huge departure from prior Resident Evil games, if you've played any of them. That was one of the criticisms people had when it came out, if they had any. That said it's still a fun game so yeah, definitely check it out, especially if you already own it.

The only RE games I've played and finished all the way through are 5 and 6. I tried playing 1 but it's way too dated for me at this point. I know enough about RE4-- I've watched other people play it but I forget a lot. I at least know enough that I'd probably like it; just needed an excuse to fire it up.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Resident Evil 4 has, to me, the most satisfying NG+ in any game, aside from Mario 3.

Back the gently caress up a minute.

Mario 3 has a NG+ mode?!

Also, the best NG+ mode is actually the orginal Legend of Zelda.

"Oh, you think you've got every dungeon location, secret door, heart container, etc... memorized? Yeah, gently caress you."

Still never beaten it after all these years...I mean, I could if I just used a walkthrough, but I didn't need one to beat the original mode when I was 8, and I don't need one now! :mad:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Kaubocks posted:

The only RE games I've played and finished all the way through are 5 and 6. I tried playing 1 but it's way too dated for me at this point. I know enough about RE4-- I've watched other people play it but I forget a lot. I at least know enough that I'd probably like it; just needed an excuse to fire it up.

Oh, in that case you'll be fine. RE 5 and 6 are much more like RE4 than RE1-3, Zero, Code Veronica, etc. My buddies and I played all the original REs as they came out, especially RE2 on N64 and Zero on GC, so when RE4 came the genre shift from survival horror to a more traditional 3rd person shoot em up was somewhat jarring and took some getting used to.

Speaking of the older Resident Evil games, I always appreciated that they would notify you when you didn't need a particular key or quest item anymore. That way you're not hanging onto it for the rest of the game, taking up precious inventory space, but you're also not confused when you check your inventory and see that it's gone. Though now that I think about it, it's sort of weird that they even give you the option to keep items that have served their purpose at all...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

So I'm playing GTA V. I switched to Trevor and get him in his truck, yelling at some cyclists. Twenty minutes later, whilst getting a haircut, he starts up yelling again. It is the funniest thing in the game.

e: he keeps doing it :yayclod:

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 16:14 on Dec 17, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mario 3 has a NG+ mode?!

I don't remember if it's a whole different mode, but if you beat the game and restart it without resetting the console, you'll start out with 28 P-wings in your inventory.

The original Super Mario had one too, except it just replaced all the goombas with beetles (if I'm remembering correctly, it's been like 20 years since I played it)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mister Adequate posted:

So I'm playing GTA V. I switched to Trevor and get him in his truck, yelling at some cyclists. Twenty minutes later, whilst getting a haircut, he starts up yelling again. It is the funniest thing in the game.

e: he keeps doing it :yayclod:

He totally would rant that THIS COUNTRY WAS BUILT BY AND FOR THE MOTORCAR while getting a haircut, too.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I love the character transitions in general in GTA5. Obviously Trevor has some of the funniest. Some favourites are:

-Waking up in a dumpster/on top of a mountain in a dress/in his underwear surrounded by dead bodies.

-Being chased by the Police and yelling about how he didn't do anything.

-Meeting your SCOOOOOOOOTER BROOTHERRR!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kimmalah posted:

I don't remember if it's a whole different mode, but if you beat the game and restart it without resetting the console, you'll start out with 28 P-wings in your inventory.

The original Super Mario had one too, except it just replaced all the goombas with beetles (if I'm remembering correctly, it's been like 20 years since I played it)

Yeah, this. You get a full set of P-wings that fill your inventory. It's pretty great.

I really kind of wish we had a resident evil 4 thread, because I could read/write about it all day. :allears:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mario 3 has a NG+ mode?!

Also, the best NG+ mode is actually the orginal Legend of Zelda.

"Oh, you think you've got every dungeon location, secret door, heart container, etc... memorized? Yeah, gently caress you."

Still never beaten it after all these years...I mean, I could if I just used a walkthrough, but I didn't need one to beat the original mode when I was 8, and I don't need one now! :mad:

The pinnacle of NG+ for me is Chrono Trigger. Wake up, go to a fair, immediately defeat a world destroyer.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, gently caress the TMP. You can also get a (free) upgraded Blacktail from the vendor if you do his sidequest at the beginning of the game and get all blue talismans (which is rather easy to do), which should really help at the beginning.

The Blacktail is awful, get the upgraded version for free and sell it back to him.

Also the Broken Butterfly is the best weapon

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

EmmyOk posted:

The Blacktail is awful, get the upgraded version for free and sell it back to him.

Also the Broken Butterfly is the best weapon

Well yes, but it's better than the base gun while you're saving up for upgrading the Red9. :colbert:

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

HAmbONE posted:

New players: don't buy/upgrade anything other than: Red9 and stock, striker shotgun, and semi-auto rifle (don't buy scope, has one built in.

This is not true at all. One of my favorite things about RE4 is any gun is useful on your first playthrough. I still have never used the striker in any playthrough, for example :v:

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well yes, but it's better than the base gun while you're saving up for upgrading the Red9. :colbert:

The base handgun has a better chance for critical headshots, and stuns with one bullet to the head or knee anyway. It's way better than the penetrating bullshit gun.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Spalec posted:

I love the character transitions in general in GTA5. Obviously Trevor has some of the funniest. Some favourites are:

-Waking up in a dumpster/on top of a mountain in a dress/in his underwear surrounded by dead bodies.

-Being chased by the Police and yelling about how he didn't do anything.

-Meeting your SCOOOOOOOOTER BROOTHERRR!

-Franklin ironing his clothes.
-Franklin playing with his dog.
-Franklin smoking a joint.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Alhazred posted:

Anytime Franklin smokes weed... :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bbcisdabomb posted:

This is not true at all. One of my favorite things about RE4 is any gun is useful on your first playthrough. I still have never used the striker in any playthrough, for example :v:

The base handgun has a better chance for critical headshots, and stuns with one bullet to the head or knee anyway. It's way better than the penetrating bullshit gun.

Well... and you... shut up! :(

(Been a while since playing it, I remember I used to save everything for the Red9 but couldn't remember the difference between the base gun and Punisher)

Now I need to buy Ultimate HD and replay it. Oh look, steam sale starts tomorrow.

Unless I can convince Kaubocks to stream it and live vicariously through him. :v:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

FauxGateau posted:

Turns out he's actually really insecure. it's okay Franklin! You're a cool guy. :unsmith:

My favorite character transition I ever saw was actually one of the most basic but for some reason it really struck me as hilarious at the time. Michael is always shown as getting poo poo on by his wife, kids, therapist, basically the world. That's why I thought it was so perfect to switch to him in has car, stuck on a highway on ramp, surrounded by honking cars, bellowing out a single frustrated "C'MOOON!"

Which is the perfect setup, of course, to start venting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alhazred posted:

I honestly feel a little bad for him, in the endgame all the switches make him seem bored.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FauxGateau posted:

A funny weed thing from GTA V:
Michael smokes some weed totally flips out and start imaging aliens are attacking, Franklin get some weed from the same guy and his response is "A bit dry isn't it?"

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I just started playing Spec Ops: The Line, and in the part after you fall off a thing near the beginning, my PS3 hosed up and didn't load all the textures right away (they do that), so everything looked weird and blurry until Walker fully came to his senses.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well... and you... shut up! :(

(Been a while since playing it, I remember I used to save everything for the Red9 but couldn't remember the difference between the base gun and Punisher)

Now I need to buy Ultimate HD and replay it. Oh look, steam sale starts tomorrow.

Unless I can convince Kaubocks to stream it and live vicariously through him. :v:

Oh yeah, the Red9 is a great gun, I just hate how huge it is. I should grab Ultimate HD during the sale! I haven't played since the GameCube.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
If you didn't beat RE4 with the knife and unupgraded original pistol then you haven't lived. You'd be surprised how many bosses are stabbable when you run out of bullets for the 30th time.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

HAmbONE posted:

New players: don't buy/upgrade anything other than: Red9 and stock, striker shotgun, and semi-auto rifle (don't buy scope, has one built in.

Edmond Dantes posted:

That's one of the best things about RE4, everyone has their own weapon setup they are absolutely sure is the best. I completely disagree with both of you, but I am sure your strategies treated you well.

I always rock the Blacktail, the Striker, the Broken Butterfly, the Bolt-Action Rifle, and the TMP. I sell all grenades as soon as I can (except for one frag grenade for that cultist meeting you run across in the castle). The TMP and BB are pure magic for boss fights (and the TMP makes the minecart and gondola rides a calvacade of falling ganados), the Blacktail fires really fast so I can stagger-kick-knife all the humanoids, the bolt action rifle does 30 goddamn damage, and the striker is the striker. I never give a single yellow herb to Ashley. I've never bought a treasure map. The tac vest is totally optional. And the last time I played I still only had a handful of deaths, all from QTE's. Play however you want.

I love RE4.

Don't use the Punisher though.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Samfucius posted:

everyone has their own weapon setup they are absolutely sure is the best. I completely disagree with both of you, but I am sure your strategies treated you well.

:darksouls:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The Hand Cannon was pretty rewarding, but probably not worth what you had to do to get it. But when you get to that first troll that the dog you saved can help you with? It's like, one head shot with that thing to kill it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

I could stream... but I'd be unlikely to talk and I tend to play games in very short bursts these days. I also like to read twitter or whatever else is on the mind at the time so it's a lot of stop/start as I pause the game, read something, then hop back into the game. I can't imagine it'd be very watchable.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Samfucius posted:

That's one of the best things about RE4, everyone has their own weapon setup they are absolutely sure is the best. I completely disagree with both of you, but I am sure your strategies treated you well.

The Red 9 and Blacktail have higher damage values in different versions of the game which is part of the reason why some people swear by them while other people went with a different model.

One thing I love about the HD rerelease on PC is that somebody made a trainer so after so many legitimate playthroughs over the years I can finally go hog wild with unlimited ammo/health/money and do things like use the mine thrower as a primary weapon and turn every plagas in my way into a fine red mist. :getin:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
^^^^^^ I remember looking up the charts during my second playthrough and mix-maxing the guns, but that was on the ps2 so it's been a while. I do remember the Striker's and Butterly's final upgrades being hilariously game-breaking though.
You know, I don't think I ever used the mine thrower properly; I tried it out once, went "eh" and just never bought it again, same with the TMP.

Kaubocks posted:

I could stream... but I'd be unlikely to talk and I tend to play games in very short bursts these days. I also like to read twitter or whatever else is on the mind at the time so it's a lot of stop/start as I pause the game, read something, then hop back into the game. I can't imagine it'd be very watchable.

I was half kidding with that; I tend to go through a lot of LPs when I'm working from home since I just put them on my secondary monitor. When I saw you mentioning you should play it I just thought "oh, it'd be nice if someone played it for me". :v:

Having said that, if you like it so much you decide to make a proper LP for it, count me in for commenting. :D

Edmond Dantes has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Dec 18, 2014

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Mine Thrower sucks because you barely get any ammo for it if I remember right.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Accordion Man posted:

I think it's one of those things where the ammo only appears if you keep the weapon in your inventory, but then it vendors for so much you could sell what you do find to get those sweet, sweet exclusive upgrades.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

I watched a friend of mine play through and pick that. when he got to the regenerators I laughed at him and said "Dude you are not gonna get past them without the that scope you sold." Cue him loading one up with like ten mines and detonating them.

Killed the regenerator and he was smug as all hell about it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

That's another little thing about Resi 4 - you get given ammo based on what weapons you're using, which has advantages over set ammo drops giving you ammo for weapons you don't use.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MysticalMachineGun posted:

That's another little thing about Resi 4 - you get given ammo based on what weapons you're using, which has advantages over set ammo drops giving you ammo for weapons you don't use.

To me, that's what made it officially no longer a survival horror game. Ammo is way easier to come by so it promotes shooting a ton, whereas in earlier games you had to conserve ammo, to the point where you'd sooner use a melee weapon if you could get away with it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

timp posted:

To me, that's what made it officially no longer a survival horror game. Ammo is way easier to come by so it promotes shooting a ton, whereas in earlier games you had to conserve ammo, to the point where you'd sooner use a melee weapon if you could get away with it.

I don't think anyone has ever considered Resident Evil 4 survival horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

timp posted:

Melee strategies based on shooting the dudes in the knees -> suplexing them -> knifing them when they're on the ground are pretty drat effective, though.

Also hilarious when you manage to suplex a guy so hard his head explodes.