Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chuck Schumer wants to investigate why airfares are still high when oil prices are dropping.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/schumer-calls-probe-high-price-plane-tickets-article-1.2045481

Chuck Schumer also championed the ATP Law and, from what I've heard, is a piece of poo poo on his best day.

e.pilot posted:

And they did, scheduled for Wednesday!

Excitedly nervous.

Go get it! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

e.pilot posted:

Excitedly nervous.

Good luck, if you get too stressed out don't forget to poop. Seriously, pooping pre check ride is probably the best way to overcome the pre ride jitters that I know of.

Also, try not to crash.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
At times flying around the bravo has it's irritants.

Woke up today with 99.9 PIC time. A buddy and I had planned to go up today and hit a bunch of airports on the Explore Maryland by Air program. We took off and the transponder failed before we got out of the pattern so we had to go back and land.

In other news I now have 100.0 PIC and my first landing in a 172 from the right seat, wasn't too bad either. :v:

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

CBJSprague24 posted:

Chuck Schumer wants to investigate why airfares are still high when oil prices are dropping.

It's almost like the airlines might purchase fuel futures contracts to protect themselves from short-term changes in the price of crude.

If the Republicans had to take the Senate, why couldn't he have been one of the ones swept out? I don't think I've ever seen his name pop up in the center of a news story where I hadn't thought "what the gently caress is he going on about?"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fordan posted:

It's almost like the airlines might purchase fuel futures contracts to protect themselves from short-term changes in the price of crude.

If the Republicans had to take the Senate, why couldn't he have been one of the ones swept out? I don't think I've ever seen his name pop up in the center of a news story where I hadn't thought "what the gently caress is he going on about?"

He seems like the epitome of that person who claims to be an expert on something, but really has no idea. The perfect example of this is the ATP Law, which he was adamant got through so he could impress those whose ambulances he'd chased. Apparently, he celebrated ROC-ATL going from three M88s to 3 M90s as some sort of triumph, too.

Despite FL pulling off the route altogether.

He wasn't up for re-election this year. Hopefully in a couple years he'll be involuntarily put out to pasture.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 16, 2014

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

He seems like the epitome of that person who claims to be an expert on something, but really has no idea. The perfect example of this is the ATP Law, which he was adamant got through so he could impress those whose ambulances he'd chased. Apparently, he celebrated ROC-ATL going from three M88s to 3 M90s as some sort of triumph, too.

He had some awesome ideas around the Hudson River VFR corridor in which everyone should be on flight plans with ATC controlling all traffic because the altitude separation rules that the NTSB recommended after the helicopter/plane crash weren't enough.

Minus Pants
Jul 18, 2004

Colonel K posted:

doing the circuits on the bush pilot forums. http://vimeo.com/100835454 It's a fantastic watch, pretty interesting and looks set to be a good series.

Looks like a neat series. I winced at the single-pilot hand propping... (around 11:56). I wouldn't want to do that even if hanging onto the doorsill is somehow considered "at the controls."

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Successfully passed my first official line check today!

Now I just have to avoid doing anything colossally stupid for the next couple of weeks, and I'll be off probation and get a 33% raise early next month.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I have 0.5 hours of flight time in the last sixty days :cry:/and we stop flying for the calendar year tomorrow.

How does one get 0.5 hours of flight time? Hover power assurance check
:v: I turned on the auto pilot and sat there for half an hour :(

Another MV-22 guy showed up in GiP, I'll see if I can get him to post here sometime. I'm sure he's lurking this thread.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

I turned on the auto pilot and sat there for half an hour :(

Man, how awful that must have been, to sit in a machine held by its own power stationary in the sky like some kind of a wizard king for half an hour.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

DNova posted:

Man, how awful that must have been, to sit in a machine held by its own power stationary in the sky like some kind of a wizard king for half an hour.

I got to run one of these once, and I'm an enlisted maintainer.

Radalt couple on. Dial radalt bug up to 50 feet slow. Helicoper flies itself. Down to zero slow. Amazing.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
In other news. I've been flying a twin! Hopefully
I can take the ride on Saturday but the weather isn't looking so great.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
On December seventeenth, in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen, I am officially an instrument pilot. :toot::toot::toot:

Next stop, gliders. :homebrew:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hey good job. Hardest rating to get right there.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Congrats e.pilot, and Apollo good luck you goon. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. :fyadride:

I need 2-3 more pages of my 20ish page final Erby Diddle Astronomical Universidad capstone paper on how 9/11 changed aviation. And I'm loving out of ideas. So that's what I've been doing all drat week.
Good news is once I poop something out of my brain I'm done with my bachelors and should graduate with 3.99 GPA if I do OK on this final paper.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

The Slaughter posted:

Congrats e.pilot, and Apollo good luck you goon. Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. :fyadride:

I need 2-3 more pages of my 20ish page final Erby Diddle Astronomical Universidad capstone paper on how 9/11 changed aviation. And I'm loving out of ideas. So that's what I've been doing all drat week.
Good news is once I poop something out of my brain I'm done with my bachelors and should graduate with 3.99 GPA if I do OK on this final paper.

Did you go into the psychology at all about passengers mindsets regarding standing up and fighting "hostile" or disruptive persons? Before 9/11 and with the excpetion of one aircraft, everyone else submitted to the terrorists demands to remain seated. One aircraft's passengers did however, refuse to go down without a fight and ultimated sacrificed their own lives to potentially save countless others. I can't think of any other hijacking instances where passengers began an uprising to quell a terrorist threat before that day and now, it seems like it would be an expected response. Something like that would easily be able to fill a few pages.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Apparently, he celebrated ROC-ATL going from three M88s to 3 M90s as some sort of triumph, too.

Really. 11 seats was something to celebrate?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Congrats on getting your Instrument ticket on the anniversary of the first flight, e.pilot.

Bob A Feet posted:

I have 0.5 hours of flight time in the last sixty days :cry:/and we stop flying for the calendar year tomorrow.

How does one get 0.5 hours of flight time? Hover power assurance check
:v: I turned on the auto pilot and sat there for half an hour :(

I got 0.4 one day when I went out to play in the pattern in a 172 and got an electrical system annunciator on downwind on the first lap. A breaker popped sometime between when I ran my fingers across them manually in the run-up process (they were all in) and when I got the warning light. When I popped it back in on the ground, it went from a big-time discharge to a big-time overcharge. Day over. Maintenance's response was along the lines of "God damnit, we just fixed that thing...".

hobbesmaster posted:

Really. 11 seats was something to celebrate?

11 seats times three! 33 whole extra seats a day! It probably sounded like "Well, the MD-90 sounds fancier than an MD-88, so this is a major event and we'd like to thank our friends at Delta for this massive increase in service to The People of New York."

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The Slaughter posted:

How much will it end up costing? I need to do a degree but I dont know if I should shortcut to the useless aeronautical one or get one in which I get actual skills that can land me side-gigs (something IT related maybe)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Hey good job. Hardest rating to get right there.

The Slaughter posted:

Thanks! didn't seem like today would ever get here.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

The Slaughter posted:

The concept of TSA as security theater?

The fact that the only real effective positive security changes brought about post-9/11 were reinforced cockpit doors and the "get involved" mentality of passengers as IceLicker said?

The arming of pilots and the US Airways pilot who tried to shoot his ride out from under him by mistake?

How airline finances were impacted by the shutdown and limited load after?

The shutdown of DCA for a good long while, and the requirement for Federal Air Marshals on all flights to/from DCA and the development of the ADIZ/SFRA? And the ADIZ/SFRA's impact on the MD3 airports?

The fact that GA pilots were forbidden to fly over certain areas like nuke plants, but that they couldn't be told where or have them charted because of security?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

Oh God, I forgot there was an undergrad Capstone now. Glad I got through before they debuted that crap (though I had to do one anyway in the end thanks to the MAS).

Do you guys have to draft and turn in a proposal or do they leave that part out? What about "you have to write on a topic pertaining to each course you took" and "do basic statistical analysis that shows you didn't just play on Facebook during your EagleVision Stats class"?

Animal posted:

How much will it end up costing? I need to do a degree but I dont know if I should shortcut to the useless aeronautical one or get one in which I get actual skills that can land me side-gigs (something IT related maybe)

What's your educational history? If you've got a community college nearby with an aviation program, you might be able to get an Associate's and transfer the whole thing into Riddle, leaving you approximately half the classes you'd have needed to have taken there.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 18, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

Animal posted:

In terms of tuition alone and not books, about 18k. At current tuition rates, it would have been about 20k. But I got my 2 year degree first at a local community college at in-state rates ($17,000ish) and then transferred that into Embry Riddle worldwide as well as my FAA ratings which served as elective credits. If I had done it mre smrtr I think I probably could have saved money but not every class transferred 1-1 and I had to fight with Riddle a bit on that as well, despite their insane tuition it might be cheaper to just go to Riddle from the beginning if you don't have anything yet. And yeah, the undergrad capstone blows. We had to draft and turn in a 10 page proposal before starting on any loving thing, and then it had to get approved by the aeronautics dept, and yeah the whole process has made me not enjoy capstone courses! And yes, every program outcome must be demonstrated although I think I'll get away with just some basic figures analysis I did instead of some kind of regression, I barely put anything about stats in my proposal and it was accepted, so yeah. And Fordan, I've covered some of that, but I appreciate the ideas anyway, maybe that'll give me what I need, so thanks!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

And yeah, the undergrad capstone blows. We had to draft and turn in a 10 page proposal before starting on any loving thing, and then it had to get approved by the aeronautics dept, and yeah the whole process has made me not enjoy capstone courses! And yes, every program outcome must be demonstrated although I think I'll get away with just some basic figures analysis I did instead of some kind of regression, I barely put anything about stats in my proposal and it was accepted, so yeah.

Jesus Christ. The nice thing (if this applies to the undergrad Capstone) is that you don't really have to prove anything. Just take a topic, research it, maybe make a bit of an argument that ties into a recommendation at the end, and don't sound like too much of an idiot when you're done. Same with the stats: just show you can use stats to back up a point you're trying to make or disprove.

The thing I noticed at the Master's level (thanks to it being pointed out by my instructor*, who had a bone to pick with it) is that those who are approved to teach the required lead-in classes (665 (Stats) and 670 (Research Methods)) aren't approved to teach the Capstone and vice versa. Thus, some of the instructors who teach 670 have no idea what they're talking about, and a few students showed up to the Capstone course (691) with a proposal that wasn't enough to get them started right out of the gate with the project. (*I don't know if I should name-drop here, but if you're doing your degree at least partly through EagleVision and have taken classes with a former Air Force Chief Master Sergeant with a thick Boston accent who says "ain't" a lot and makes classes easier and more fun than the school probably wants them to be, you know who did my Capstone.)

My 670 instructor was thorough and I had a workable proposal when I got to 691 at first, only to have to make adjustments on the second look because some bits of it strayed a bit off course. I ended up having to take the extension, which worked out because it was between Fall and Winter terms, so I was able to start the Capstone the day after Christmas, allowing me a little extra running room to work.

The Capstone bullshit (which changed at the Master's level at about the time they added the Bachelor's Capstone) according to one instructor was because ERAU wants students "to feel a sense of accomplishment" when they complete their degrees. The instructor argued that it was just that: bullshit, because "Isn't getting a degree after a minimum of four years' work enough to take pride in?".

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Giving this its own post because it'll be long, but here was the outline of my Capstone. The nice thing about this was that we were operating in the world of academia, which meant you could pick topics that might be fairly obvious and say what you thought and nobody could take points off because "Well, you're wrong because ____": (e- Also, "I don't know" is an acceptable answer in the world of academia. :eng101:)

I wound up with an A, so I must have done alright.

Topic: Pilot Training

PO 1- Air Transportation
-Global and Multimodal (American pilots going abroad to fly)
-Technological (Does automation degrade manual flying skills?)
-Social (The ATP Law and its effects on future pilot prospects?)
-Environmental (Simulators in primary training: do they reduce pollution? (I had trouble coming up with a topic for this & this is what we settled on)).
-Political (Might The ATP Law be a pile of poo poo? Why?)

PO 2- Statistical Analysis
-Central tendency of pilot experience in hours as it relates to accident rates.

PO 3- Human Factors. This was one my instructor thought was dumb because you have:
-Unsafe Acts and Attitudes (When did pilots do dumb things which resulted in accidents and how could they be prevented?)
...which result from:
-Errors and Behavior (Evaluate a few NTSB reports where Human Error was a primary cause and talk about them.)
...which may be attributed to:
-Human Limitations (Is quantity really better than quality?)
...and why couldn't they be just one big topic?

PO 4- Problem Solving (The original idea I had for this didn't seem to work based upon what ERAU would want, so I had to change it.)
-Issuance rate of ATPs. How was it trending (with the caveat that it'd have to go up in the future thanks to the ATP Law)?

PO 6 (PO 5 wasn't part of my program)- Aviation/Aerospace Education Technology
-Curriculum Development (How can you continue to make aviation programs appealing?)
-Adult Teaching and Learning (61, 141, 142. Compare and contrast.)
-Memory and Cognition (Are current checkride procedures adequate?)
-Simulation Systems (Is there evidence that PCATDs help in training? This was basically a re-write of a previous paper, which the instructor was fine with since "It's your work.")

PO 7- Aviation/Aerospace Management
-International Policy (What are hiring requirements for major airlines around the world and how do they compare to 1,500 as a floor?)
-R&D (Are simulators becoming too advanced? Would that result in a negative training transfer?)
-Airline Ops- (If there's a pilot shortage, what impacts could there be on regional flying as it applies to air service?)
-Logistics (Sims and airline training? Might it be better for regional airlines to buy their own sims as opposed to sending pilots to a centralized location like FlightSafety?)

PO 8- Av/Aerospace Ops
-Air Carrier Ops (What might some effects be of the hypothetical shortage in the PO 7 Airline Ops section?)
-ATC (Let's talk NEXTGEN and pilot training to operate in that environment!)
-Aircraft Development (Cost/benefit analysis of glass cockpit-equipped GA training planes)
-Airport Safety and Certification (Wrong runway usage, with Lexington being the poster child. How to prevent?)

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Dec 20, 2014

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
We were explicitly not allowed to use previous work/papers. Which is bs cause I had a nice one tearing the TSA a new rear end in a top hat that I wasn't allowed to use.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Slaughter posted:

We were explicitly not allowed to use previous work/papers. Which is bs cause I had a nice one tearing the TSA a new rear end in a top hat that I wasn't allowed to use.

I would read the poo poo out of that. I hold TSA in the same regard that I hold that pinkish slime you get in the shower when you don't scrub the floor often enough.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Slaughter posted:

My instructor said that, ideally, the term papers written for all your previous courses could be on one overarching topic and come together in the capstone, and they could be tailored to suit the eventual project. Unfortunately, they don't tell you that idea going in...

I know where you're coming from being pissed you weren't able to use something you wanted to. Appropriate given posts from a few days ago in here, I took a couple swipes at Schumer in the Political section for being an ambulance chaser, just using more "polite" language in the finished product.

e- I loved my instructor's attitude toward the whole process. When he read through the syllabus on the first night, he laughed out loud at the notion that we were supposed to have the entire Capstone done in 7 weeks. He also said "Once this is approved by the Aeronautics Department, the only person you have to worry about is me because I'm the only one who grades it. Once I issue the grade, that's the end of it, so if they have a problem with the grade, they can yell at me all they want. I don't know what they'd do, though. Maybe they'd fire me. Which might not be all bad...I guess I could sit at home, drinkin' beah and watchin' football."

It might read as him being a massive dick, but if you'd had him for even one class before, you knew it was mostly sarcasm, he was just having a good time, and god drat, he ruled.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 20, 2014

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I had an absolute blast flying the Beech TravelAir. Two lycoming 360s for engines really made the airplane easy to manage system wise and aerodynamically it's very stable.

I am now ASEL/AMEL :)

The examiner said I was a great teacher and smooth pilot. Hell yeah! :) I treated the whole thing like it was an MEI ride so I got good practice and feedback.

There is a place in Nashville I think I'm going to go for my MEI ride. They have a Baron and I think it'd be fun to be right seat on that bad boy.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

e.pilot posted:

On December seventeenth, in the year of our lord two thousand and fourteen, I am officially an instrument pilot. :toot::toot::toot:
Next stop, gliders. :homebrew:
:toot:

Captain Apollo posted:

I am now ASEL/AMEL :)
:toot:

OP updated.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
A bit over the top American but some nice footage and what looks to be another possibly good series. Off the charts:
http://vimeo.com/90385661
great choice of back country aircraft.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
Did the Skywest interview, got a job offer a few days ago :toot:

Now I'm stuck deciding between two of the lesser lovely regionals, awesome. I'm trying to find pros and cons of each before making a final decision in a week or so.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Butt Reactor posted:

Now I'm stuck deciding between two of the lesser lovely regionals, awesome. I'm trying to find pros and cons of each before making a final decision in a week or so.

Take both, have this guy cover for you.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Butt Reactor posted:

I've found that when making career decisions regarding airlines the best bet is to ask the most reliable source in the industry.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

KodiakRS posted:

I've found that when making career decisions regarding airlines the best bet is to ask the most reliable source in the industry.

:cawg: When in doubt...I'll see if I can get Otto the autopilot to cover some of my groundschool

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I really want an inflatable Otto to stick in the plane when I'm parked at fly-ins or whatever.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DNova posted:

I really want an inflatable Otto to stick in the plane when I'm parked at fly-ins or whatever.

someone make this happen and take my money

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

DNova posted:

I smell a kickstarter.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Envoy TA has passed. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

KodiakRS posted:

Envoy TA has passed. :toot:

Congratulations are in order (I hope)? What are the terms of this one? Did I hear E175s?

• Locked thread