Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Interesting. I suppose it does that to avoid non stacking gem problems ?

Tzarnal fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

No idea, but I honestly think it's the best way to do it.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

I'll consider that next time I'm doing a wizard run, since I am using one of the newer versions (5 something). TBH I do find the summons and Loot Magnet to be worthwhile so I probably won't ever ditch it entirely but I find myself passing on a whole lot of the spells or just trying them out once for giggles and then never using them again. Ocato's Recital is also pretty great although I have never filled up all three slots and could probably live without it.

Edit: a general FYI since I just noticed it myself, Acquisitive Soul Gems added a patch so it works with the Soul Cloak spell now.

Phenderix has some nice stuff too, like rapid-fire projectile spells. They use up magicka like crazy, but there's nothing like machinegunning fireballs or ice storms.

Agents are GO! posted:

Actually, and I'm going only by experience, it seems to actually produce gems that are the same as purchased filled soul gems. The only reason I say this is that there are some recipies that require a (store bought) filled soul gem, and they accept soul gems filled with Smart Souls. This is actually a really nice thing, IMHO.

It also tells you exactly what size soul you just trapped. Instead of just saying "soul captured" it says "petty soul captured", "grand soul captured", etc.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Buried alive posted:

I don't know how you managed to figure out which NPC it is, but you could try disabling AI before the spawn occurs. If the CTD is being caused by something in the NPC's AI, you can go find him and murder/delete him, then proceed along your merry way.

Seconding the guy who doesn't know exactly what the hell you're talking about though.

Basically, game CTDs (the first CTD I've had since I reinstalled and started playing) in one very specific point, right after a specific NPC pops into my view. I've approached the same spot from every direction, and every time he shows up (it's either a vampire or a skeleton) the game crashes out. Good call on disabling AI though, going to try that now.

E: And yeah-was a bit incoherent, running on 48 hours of no sleep at that point, my bad.

E2: Seems something related to meshes/SMIM install. Will have to check when I get home.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 17, 2014

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I'm at work now so I won't be able to check all of the details, but I recently bought the game on steam (played it on PS3) mainly for the awesome mods. I went through and using Mod Manager downloaded a handful of the recommended mods (mainly visual improvements, unofficial patch, map stuff, etc.) but I also downloaded "Live Another Life" as well. I started my game and it went through the usual almost-execution intro. This isn't supposed to happen, right? Not to mention when the character creation part happens ("Who....Are you?") instead of cutting to the character creation screen, it just jumps to the next part. Once I am freed in the dungeon, I zoom out to find out hey look I'm a Nord with random armor and an inventory full of random potions and equipment. I was planning on just checking out the Nexus website to see if maybe I just missed some simple instruction, but of course it's down. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Parachute posted:

I'm at work now so I won't be able to check all of the details, but I recently bought the game on steam (played it on PS3) mainly for the awesome mods. I went through and using Mod Manager downloaded a handful of the recommended mods (mainly visual improvements, unofficial patch, map stuff, etc.) but I also downloaded "Live Another Life" as well. I started my game and it went through the usual almost-execution intro. This isn't supposed to happen, right? Not to mention when the character creation part happens ("Who....Are you?") instead of cutting to the character creation screen, it just jumps to the next part. Once I am freed in the dungeon, I zoom out to find out hey look I'm a Nord with random armor and an inventory full of random potions and equipment. I was planning on just checking out the Nexus website to see if maybe I just missed some simple instruction, but of course it's down. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Did you ever get a character creation screen at all?

Parachute
May 18, 2003
Nope, not at all. I swear it is supposed to happen when the Imperial asks who are you, right? He just wen't "Who...Are you?" then it immediately acted like I just instantly made my character.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Parachute posted:

Nope, not at all. I swear it is supposed to happen when the Imperial asks who are you, right? He just wen't "Who...Are you?" then it immediately acted like I just instantly made my character.

Actually, if you're using Live Another Life, it's supposed to happen right after you select New Game. You appear in a prison cell and create your character, then talk to the statue to choose which alternate start you want. You can still choose the vanilla intro from there, and if you do, it will go through everything like normal but skip character creation because you've already done that. It sounds like certain parts of Live Another Life are working for you and others aren't, which is really weird. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what to do. My only suggestion right now is to try uninstalling the mod and then reinstalling it, and let it overwrite anything it wants to. Maybe some parts of it didn't get installed properly for some reason.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Oceanbound posted:

So, I installed the Bookshelves Updated SKSE Script, and the books are all floating like 1 inch above the shelf. Agh.

Then I took my books away and tried removing the script, but the books still behave that way, even though I can only fit like 11 of them on a shelf like before! I get the feeling that I've hosed something up.
That seems to be vanilla behavior actually - the description of the mod mentions that the cause is bethsda placing the marker for surface above the actual surface.

Malek Deneith fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 17, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thanks to some recent upgrades I'm finally capable of playing Skyrim with mods. I checked the OP but it hasn't been updated in a year, and I have some total noob questions:

Which mod organizer should I be using, Mod Organizer or the Nexus one? Does it matter?

Is the list of recommended mods in the second post still relevant, or has it changed?

I have SkyUI installed off the Steam Workshop. If I use a mod manager, should I remove the Workshop version and use the Nexus one, or can I mix and match?

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I'm trying to add the extensible follower framework mod to my mods.
I've started a new game with requiem which completely delevels the game after putting 100+ hours into SPERG. After playing it a bit I've decided that I want more control over followers and for them to be mortal so I've downloaded EFF but I can't seem to get it to work.

When I start up the game the imperial symbol screen shows and the steam overlay notification appears but the actual main menu never shows up. I've tried different positions in the load order and rebuilding with the SkyProc Patcher each time but no luck. Google tells me Requiem should be fine compatibility wise with EFF.

Here are my mods, they work fine without EFF:

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Which gameplay rebalancer are most people using these days? SPERG? Something else?

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

AlexanderCA posted:

I'm trying to add the extensible follower framework mod to my mods.
I've started a new game with requiem which completely delevels the game after putting 100+ hours into SPERG. After playing it a bit I've decided that I want more control over followers and for them to be mortal so I've downloaded EFF but I can't seem to get it to work.

When I start up the game the imperial symbol screen shows and the steam overlay notification appears but the actual main menu never shows up. I've tried different positions in the load order and rebuilding with the SkyProc Patcher each time but no luck. Google tells me Requiem should be fine compatibility wise with EFF.

Here are my mods, they work fine without EFF:

Did you run it through LOOT? Not that it would mess with EFF necessarily but it looks like your unofficial patches aren't in the right order. What version of EFF are you using?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks to some recent upgrades I'm finally capable of playing Skyrim with mods. I checked the OP but it hasn't been updated in a year, and I have some total noob questions:

Which mod organizer should I be using, Mod Organizer or the Nexus one? Does it matter?

Is the list of recommended mods in the second post still relevant, or has it changed?

I have SkyUI installed off the Steam Workshop. If I use a mod manager, should I remove the Workshop version and use the Nexus one, or can I mix and match?

- Use Mod Organizer for sure.

- Those mods in the second post are still relevant, though you'll need the DLC for some of them so make sure you have those active. I believe Timing is Everything in particular requires all 3 DLCs. That list of mods will give you a more seamless and better looking experience while staying true to vanilla gameplay, for better or worse. I'd also recommend Ruins Clutter Expansion, Skyfalls + Skymills, Wet and Cold and Realistic Water 2 to further improve the visuals. Wet and Cold has some elements (NPC behavior changes and equipment mostly, all of which are optional) that change the gameplay in small ways, but I've found it an awesome addition.

- If I'm not mistaken having the Steam Workshop version of a mod will work if you're using Mod Organizer, but the best thing to do is to get all of your mods from Nexus and install them using MO. Makes things a lot simpler, which seems a little counterintuitive since Steam Workshop automatically installs and updates the mods you subscribe to, but it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.

OSheaman posted:

Which gameplay rebalancer are most people using these days? SPERG? Something else?

I'd say the answer depends on what aspects of the gameplay you want rebalanced. SPERG is the go-to perk overhaul here, but if you want to rebalance some other aspect of the game you might need something else.

Phetz fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 17, 2014

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

In theory Steam Workshop is a good idea, but the execution was way off. Auto updates aee not a good thing when the author updates it to include all DLC as a requirement and you have none, causing CTDs at the start screen and essentially forcing you to scrap that save. The lack of readmes, ESM compatibility and the ability to include loose files certainly doesn't help either.

Charles De Mar
Jun 8, 2010

nexus :tipshat:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Full of win, indeed.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!
Some dork wanted me to go get some forsworn hearts.

Hello yes is this the heart market??

Are hearts in produce or the meat department, your store is confusing

No I don't want to sample your assorted cheeses

But at least there's self checkout!

I love self checkout.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hey, Beeb, can you get ahold of me on Steam with this username, or let me know where to talk to you on IRC? :)

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

I'm curious as to what mod this is. Either way I think they're breaking Nexus TOS by begging for endorsements so it he may not be getting any in the near future regardless.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I love self checkout.

Oi Beeb, what's the lightning effect? Ongoing spell, weapon enchant, ???

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

OSheaman posted:

SPERG is the easiest to use, because it's compatible with nearly everything. I also think its mechanics (auto-perks combined with perks you choose yourself) are the best among the current overhauls. SkyRe and PerMa are the other two big overhauls, and they have a lot of compatibility issues. PerMa in particular requires you to run its patcher every time you add or remove something, and not only that, but apparently running it again in the middle of a playthrough can screw things up.

I'd say go with SPERG if you want to use a lot of other mods and don't want to lock down your load order before you start playing. From there, you can use other mods to change things up. If combat is too easy, try Deadly Combat, Ultimate Combat, or Combat Evolved (Combat Evolved will work alongside the other two). Dynamic Potions lets you make potions heal over time instead of all at once, so you can't just pause the game and heal 500 health instantly. You can even set it so potions don't stack, so you have to wait for one to finish before using another (you don't technically have to, but it'll restart the timer, so you'll waste a bit of the original potion's effect). You can customize duration and magnitude for healing effects, too.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh yes, and to whomever offered to help me find Bob Ross quotes: The one thing I'm really having trouble coming up with is a line for Bob's refusal to join if you have another follower.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I was looking at mods that add children of other races to adopt, I found this one:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27542/

But the kids just look like shrunk adults. Someone added a patch to update the models using something called SkyKids, but when I google that I get a bunch of loverslab links, which makes me understanably wary. Anyone got any experience with this?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Phetz posted:

- Use Mod Organizer for sure.

- Those mods in the second post are still relevant, though you'll need the DLC for some of them so make sure you have those active. I believe Timing is Everything in particular requires all 3 DLCs. That list of mods will give you a more seamless and better looking experience while staying true to vanilla gameplay, for better or worse. I'd also recommend Ruins Clutter Expansion, Skyfalls + Skymills, Wet and Cold and Realistic Water 2 to further improve the visuals. Wet and Cold has some elements (NPC behavior changes and equipment mostly, all of which are optional) that change the gameplay in small ways, but I've found it an awesome addition.

- If I'm not mistaken having the Steam Workshop version of a mod will work if you're using Mod Organizer, but the best thing to do is to get all of your mods from Nexus and install them using MO. Makes things a lot simpler, which seems a little counterintuitive since Steam Workshop automatically installs and updates the mods you subscribe to, but it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road.

Thanks. I have all the DLC so that's not an issue.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Davoren posted:

I was looking at mods that add children of other races to adopt, I found this one:

But the kids just look like shrunk adults. Someone added a patch to update the models using something called SkyKids, but when I google that I get a bunch of loverslab links, which makes me understanably wary. Anyone got any experience with this?

My wife uses Skykids, looking at the files the bodies have underwear and there isn't a nude option or any sexy outfits so maybe it isn't terrible :shrug:. I don't get why it its on the slab but I only looked at some of the files so I might have missed something.

I guess if you want to play as or make kids to adopt that aren't one of the default races/want a replacer for vanilla kids you could do worse.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I think the slab is home to nexus exiles in general, not just creepy sex fiends.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 22 days!

Agents are GO! posted:

Hey, Beeb, can you get ahold of me on Steam with this username, or let me know where to talk to you on IRC? :)

Sure, you can find me in #thefiringrange on synirc pretty regularly :toot:

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Oi Beeb, what's the lightning effect? Ongoing spell, weapon enchant, ???

It was a spell a briarheart dude was shooting around, seemed to have a lingering effect and staggered on contact, not sure what it was.

Here's my load order, maybe you can spot the particular magic mod that'd have such a thing, if it sounds familiar :haw:

:).jpg moments before sneaking into some house in Windhelm and reverse pickpocketing poison on somebody for the Dark Brotherhood :)

Beeb fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 18, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I have another noob question. I just installed a bunch of mods via ModLoader:

But I'm getting a warning about other mods I need to install...

quote:

The masters for some plugins (esp/esm) are not enabled.
The game will crash unless you install and enable the following plugins:
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp
AmazingFollowerTweaks.esp
Better Stealth AI for Followers.esp
Brevi_MoonlightTales.esp
ESFCompanions.esp
Immersive Weapons.esp
NonEssentialChildren.esp
RealisticRoomRental.esp
Requiem.esp
SkyRe_Main.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
TheChoiceIsYours.esp
UFO - Ultimate Follower Overhaul.esp
WerewolfMastery.esp
XFLDialogue.esp
XFLMain.esm
aMidianborn_Skyforge_Weapons.esp

Which of my installed mods would be causing this? Because I really don't feel like spending another two hours installing mods just to play the game.

e: nevermind; turns out it's Weapons and Armor Fixes Remade and Even Better Quest Objectives. I reinstalled and did custom options instead of the defaults.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 18, 2014

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Davoren posted:

PolarPear posted:

My wife uses Skykids, looking at the files the bodies have underwear and there isn't a nude option or any sexy outfits so maybe it isn't terrible :shrug:. I don't get why it its on the slab but I only looked at some of the files so I might have missed something.

I guess if you want to play as or make kids to adopt that aren't one of the default races/want a replacer for vanilla kids you could do worse.

Man Whore posted:

I think the slab is home to nexus exiles in general, not just creepy sex fiends.

This is gonna end well.

Eye of Widesauron fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Dec 18, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PolarPear posted:

"my wife"

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eonwe posted:

"my wife"

His wife has the mod, but it was him who tried to look at the naked children models.

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
Are there any good mods making jorvaskr liveable? Esp. safe containers

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

vuk83 posted:

Are there any good mods making jorvaskr liveable? Esp. safe containers

This one from the OP should be what you're looking for, it can turn any container into a safe container once you put stuff into it.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
When you go on your safari to the slab to get your kid body mods please make sure to report any hosed up fetish mods to the other thread.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

When you go on your safari to the slab to get your kid body mods please make sure to report any hosed up fetish mods to the other thread.

This, but they should also consider chemical castration as a pre-emptive measure.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010
Can we try not having a derail about me asking her what replacer she was using, seeing where it came from, and not wanting nude kids in sexy outfits because I liked how the kids weren't potato faced or animes?

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

A quick glance shows there isn't anything on the first page that stands out as being hilarious or weird that isn't already in the thread.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

How about we just not poo poo up the thread with a debate over loverslab ever. Take that poo poo to Awful Mods, and just post questions/legitimately cool mods here.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

PolarPear posted:

Can we try not having a derail about me asking her what replacer she was using, seeing where it came from, and not wanting nude kids in sexy outfits because I liked how the kids weren't potato faced or animes?

A quick glance shows there isn't anything on the first page that stands out as being hilarious or weird that isn't already in the thread.

You looked through all the models of kids on mod hosted on a site that has piles of rape mods and stuff. How did you think this was going to go?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
this is a troubleshooting question: can I read a skyrim modding thread without people talking about child npcs in underwear

this is important

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

PolarPear posted:

If the kids are nude, they cannot be wearing sexy outfits. Check your premises.

• Locked thread