Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

well yeah that is much denser obviously (you win!) but i was more pointing out the strangeness of the parents splitting it up as father/son in the bedroom and mom on the couch instead of the parents together and teh kid separate. i had never met a family that did it that way before. is that common in other parts of the world? this family was originally from russia

maybe the mom and dad were related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

either staying together for the kid or the kid and/or the dad were prodigious snorers

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

also at that point you have no logical reason to restrict it to two people (0,1,none rule) so you just invented....corporations

which im fine with

ah, but corporations also limit shareholders' liability, unlike partnerships!

sounds good to me

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

unnoticed posted:

The whole skyscraper being bought up as investments and nobody actually living there thing is way worse in China. They have whole cities like that. Gonna be interesting when that bubble bursts.
There have been a couple news shows that visited these places and it's really spooky.
you mean like Dubai?

8 lane highways completely empty

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

ugh, yeah i have no faith in dan lyons doing valleywag justice. valleywag has worked pretty well for me as an anti-techcrunch. if you wanted to see sv get shat on, you go to valleywag, if you want to see it get its dick sucked, you went to tech crunch. it was gossip either way.

fuckedcompany 2.0 would be nice, but, again, dan lyons.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

bassguitarhero posted:

Eric Schmidt's sex dungeon

yasss

ultramiraculous fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 31, 2015

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

ultramiraculous posted:

ugh, yeah i have no faith in dan lyons doing valleywag justice. valleywag has worked pretty well for me as an anti-techcrunch. if you wanted to see sv get shat on, you go to valleywag, if you want to see it get its dick sucked, you went to tech crunch. it was gossip either way.

fuckedcompany 2.0 would be nice, but, again, dan lyons.

I want a website that is basically just strings of obscenities and libel directed at any random SV company. I want the top article to be slanderous nonsense about how the head of uber is actually a lizard jew prima illuminatus who enjoys destroying Christmas.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Rexicon1 posted:

I want a website that is basically just strings of obscenities and libel directed at any random SV company. I want the top article to be slanderous nonsense about how the head of uber is actually a lizard jew prima illuminatus who enjoys destroying Christmas.

be the change you want to see

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sagebrush posted:

well yeah that is much denser obviously (you win!) but i was more pointing out the strangeness of the parents splitting it up as father/son in the bedroom and mom on the couch instead of the parents together and teh kid separate. i had never met a family that did it that way before. is that common in other parts of the world? this family was originally from russia

We split it up so my eldest (5) and I are upstairs and my wife and youngest (1) are downstairs. Tbh its just easier, everyone sleeps well and isn't too crowded, we're wierdo co-sleepers though.

(Its not upstairs because its a big place, its upstairs cause its a unit townhouse)

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 17, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean, if three out of four couples split after being together for ten years, but only one of the splits was a divorce, is the ~divorce rate~ really that relevant?

this has been a thing for a while

i was looking up records about some of my ancestors (around 1900, maybe a little earlier), and of the ones that were in brownsville (border city in texas, so they're all hispanics) all of the women were "separated" at their time of death, just not divorced because catholics didn't like that

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Stringent posted:

is there a thread to rag on china? because gently caress china seriously.

I'm following China thread in GBS and D&D:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3675025
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3466532

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

some weird rules in that dnd thread

No discussion on hot-button topics without proper naming etiquette, e.g. don’t use the Chinese names of things like: noted dissidents, political prisoners or controversial historical events. Referring to these things by their initials is the best way. Example: LXB is good, Liu Xiaobo is okay, but using his Chinese name is probably not a good idea. This is to avoid the forum getting blacklisted and inaccessible from Mainland China.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

prefect posted:

some weird rules in that dnd thread

No discussion on hot-button topics without proper naming etiquette, e.g. don’t use the Chinese names of things like: noted dissidents, political prisoners or controversial historical events. Referring to these things by their initials is the best way. Example: LXB is good, Liu Xiaobo is okay, but using his Chinese name is probably not a good idea. This is to avoid the forum getting blacklisted and inaccessible from Mainland China.

post their names in this thread, let's get the forum blacklisted

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
it's just a DNS blacklist that spits back garbage IPs anyway, if anyone in mainland china really wants to see it they just have to /etc/hosts whichever domain got great firewalled

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

8.8.8.8 there i just brought freedom to china :smug:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Rexicon1 posted:

there used to be a site like that

https://web.archive.org/web/20110511123528/http://www.niggaknow.com/category/technology

and it was awful

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rexicon1 posted:

so like the old FYAD website about how Star Trek is a Jewish conspiracy

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sniep posted:

it's just a DNS blacklist that spits back garbage IPs anyway, if anyone in mainland china really wants to see it they just have to /etc/hosts whichever domain got great firewalled

The great firewall sends TCP resets to each end point to kill the connection. Some stuff gets blocked immediately, basically Tiananmen in any TCP outgoing connection, but some stuff requires offline analysis and takes ~3 hours to block, e.g. OpenVPN. I'm waiting at JFK to fly out to HK & China so will find out soon enough. I have multiple VPNs and endpoints already for testing: Tunnel Bear, IPSEC, SSL, PPTP, and SSH across the US and HK.

IPSEC IKEv1 is awful, but neither iPhone or OS X support it in the UI: apparently iPhone does via enterprise configuration.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Elder Postsman posted:

what in the

where do u eat dinner

my niece actually asked me this, she was really confused when she saw I don't have a dining table

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

the china lan thread is a good start for all your laduzi needs

yes you're welcome to come post with us in lan it;s the best lan thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the china d&d thread is terrible

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

qirex posted:

my niece actually asked me this, she was really confused when she saw I don't have a dining table

when i was single and living in a studio i just ate at my computer desk every single night

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

fart simpson posted:

it's literally an expat in canada masturbating about how much he hates the mainland

or at least that's the china economy thread

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

computer parts posted:

it's literally an expat in canada masturbating about how much he hates the mainland

or at least that's the china economy thread

i dont read the d&d china economy thread, but the main china d&d thread is the usual cast of d&d characters pretending to be geopolitical experts with intimate knowledge of the secret inner workings of the chinese communist party, interspersed with expats that lived or currently live in china posting one liners like "i'm just bumping this thread to remind everyone china is bad. thanks" and contrarian trolls. oh yeah and then there's the guys that try to find a way to steer every conversation toward hypothetical tom clancy war scenarios involving china vs the west

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

street making GBS threads megathread

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was single and living in a studio i just ate at my computer desk every single night

this is what I do, yeah

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

does it count if i use my kitchen table as a computer desk

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i do this even after moving out of a studio into a much larger place

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

fart simpson posted:

actually you are just a bad poster

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

re: ostentatious real estate, the rouble is collapsing as we speak so maybe those 8 figure apartments will actually host human beings sometimes soon

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

re: ostentatious real estate, the rouble is collapsing as we speak so maybe those 8 figure apartments will actually host human beings sometimes soon

no that probably just means the pace of buying will accelerate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i used to eat at my workbench but then i realized it's pretty much always covered in solder balls and filing dust and various glues and solvents so it's probably not the world's best idea

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

i used to eat at my workbench but then i realized it's pretty much always covered in solder balls and filing dust and various glues and solvents so it's probably not the world's best idea

initially read that as "soldier balls"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

prefect posted:

initially read that as "soldier balls"

naw, i dont think he's ever been in gitmo

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Share Bear posted:

wowzers

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
don't gently caress with opec

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
or more accurately don't build your entire national economy around a single commodity

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
mine is built on permanently rising house prices :)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

born on a buy you posted:

or more accurately don't build your entire national economy around a single commodity

:canada:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
that being said, threefive petrochemicals is not a fan of opec's meddling

• Locked thread