Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i think it would be kinda nice to have a couch so i could watch movies in a place other than my bed, but the choice was between having a place for a couch or a place for a workbench so lol no question there really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hahaha, that article unironically links to this one

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/08/silicon_valley_s_richest_people_why_they_re_the_target_of_gawker_media_s.html

quote:

Second, let’s aside these mitigating factors. Mayer bought a $33,000 playhouse—so what? What’s wrong with a wealthy woman spending a tiny fraction of her riches on her kid? Is it really newsworthy—any more newsworthy than, say, a wealthy person taking a private jet, sending her kid to private school, or buying an expensive car? Biddle didn’t elaborate in his post, though on Twitter, he argued that “buying your kid a play mansion is obscene, period.” But Mayer’s $33,000 playhouse wasn’t even the most expensive structure at this year’s auction; several sold for more than $50,000, and the top-earning playhouse, a replica of AT&T Park, went for $101,000. (The list of other winners isn’t public.)

But Valleywag didn’t need to explain to its readers what was so terrible about Mayer’s playhouse, because according to its worldview, a rich techie doing rich-people things is self-evidently worthy of mockery.

I was excited when I heard, earlier this year, that Gawker Media was resurrecting Valleywag, which it founded in 2005 and later shut down. Valleywag is necessary. The tech industry is a hype-fueled wonderland of money and ambition, a place as central to the world economy as Wall Street, and one whose globe-changing ambitions are often ridiculous. When I heard Biddle would be running the site, I was even more thrilled. A longtime Gawker Media writer, Biddle worked for Gizmodo for many years, and even when I disagree with him, I find him to be a lively, hilarious writer and a dogged reporter.

But in the few months it’s been online, the new Valleywag has been a disappointment. Too often, it squanders its resources by shooting designer fish in a gold-plated barrel, rather than taking on more important problems in technology and the tech industry. In a profile of the site in the New York Times by Nick Bilton on Sunday, the writer Paul Carr—a frequent target of Valleywag—summed up its failings this way: “Valleywag’s mission was to expose criminality, hypocrisy and corruption, but it isn’t doing any of that. ... Instead you have a guy in New York pointing to Silicon Valley from thousands of miles away saying: ‘Look at that rich guy. Isn’t he rich? That rich guy is a loser.’ ”

A stroll through Valleywag’s archives bolsters this assessment. Here’s one rich guy having the sort of expensive wedding you’d expect a rich person to have. Here’s another rich guy who paid to have his daughter meet Miley Cyrus. Here are rich techies paying for boat rides to avoid a transportation strike, and here’s a company hoping rich people will pay for laundry service. Rich techies are especially vulnerable to a Valleywag attack when they engage in that favorite rich-person pastime of giving away their money. Whether they donate to charity auctions, go on African charity expeditions, or try to teach homeless people computer programming, rich techies are ridiculed for what’s taken to be their obvious insincerity, naïveté, and clear efforts at self-aggrandizement.

My primary beef with Valleywag is the way it spins the smallest bits of tech gossip or punditry into a larger, stereotypically skewed narrative about the tech industry. The narrative is generally about the amoral politics of techies or, as Biddle calls them, the “techno-libertarian goon squad.” In Valleywag’s worldview, every civic confrontation in Silicon Valley is a Manichean choice between the interests of techies and nontechies, and the techies are always cast as rich, tax-and-government-hating baddies who want to pull one over on the rest of us. Not only is this simplistic; often, it’s just wrong on the facts.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a country where the under served rush to be first to defend those who would sooner put your head between the curb and a bloody boot than attempt to distribute wealth more reasonably

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a loveseat but no couch. a big portion of my apartment is unused actually

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

the defense of that playhouse auction too. it has nothing to do with charity, it's just the .1 buying more unobtainable poo poo and not a single penny extra was spent to acquire any of the playhouses

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the densest metro in america is LA. there are very few tall buildings in LA or the surrounding communities. what they do have is miles and miles and miles of ugly 3- and 4-family houses ("dingbats") separated by strips of apartment blocks.

the problem in san francisco isn't that they haven't built high enough in the densest urban core (i think one transamerica pyramid is quite enough thank you). it's that they won't knock over the garbage detached homes in the presidio or the painted ladies or all the idiot 1950s garbage in palo alto

SF and the bay could stand to look a lot more like LA if they ever want to see middle class families living comfortably again

Ha, my community is nearly twice as dense as LA, suck my dick Californifailures

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dormont,_Pennsylvania)

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

when i was a kid we had some family friends in nyc who lived in a 1br. they had a living room, a kitchen, the bedroom, and a bathroom. the dad and the son slept on separate beds in the bedroom, which was basically just the kid's room except at night, and the mom slept on a pull out couch in the living room.

to answer the immediate question, i have no idea

I grew up in a family with eight kids and two adults in a 1280 square foot 3br 1ba rented duplex.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Citizen Tayne posted:

I grew up in a family with eight kids and two adults in a 1280 square foot 3br 1ba rented duplex.

so how's life after caddyshack?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

the central business district of your lovely small town is denser. the metro area is not.

LA achieves its high average density by having an unusually sparse downtown and an usually dense set of suburbs.

by contrast, new york and chicago are hyper-dense at the core and very diffuse at the edges. the average density is lower than LA even though the peak density is incomparably higher

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

tori cmos is a Real American

Apr 7, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the central business district of your lovely small town is denser. the metro area is not.

Oh yeah, it's not a lovely small town, it's a separate community carved out of the middle of Pittsburgh for some reason. Makes no sense.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm the countertop waifu unit
Text me

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

UGH

where am I gonna get my schadenfreude fix now t:mad:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
are 2 parent households still considered normal or is that some 1% poo poo now too?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Citizen Tayne posted:

califailure rolls off the tongue better imo

san fartsico, califailure
population - u

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Stringent posted:

are 2 parent households still considered normal or is that some 1% poo poo now too?

2 bio parents? getting pretty gd rare out of the worthless flyovers

blended families are fairly big iirc

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stringent posted:

divorce has actually been on the decline. unsurprisingly the boomers being the most selfish generation also spiked the divorce rate

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Necc0 posted:

divorce has actually been on the decline. unsurprisingly the boomers being the most selfish generation also spiked the divorce rate

man i bet the mid 70s were loving depressing if you were a young newlywed couple. loving everybody splitting up around you, hall and oates pissing and wailing BABY JUST ONE MORE NIGHT all over the radio, aaaa

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

keyboard vomit posted:

my city has an ordinance on the books that nothing can be taller than the capitol building

it actually owns and makes being downtown nice and open

goondolences

(they're building a ton of lovely-rear end luxury apartments downtown too and i can't wait to watch them implode along with the next housing bubble but god willing i'll be watching from afar this time)

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 17, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Necc0 posted:

i see couples who have kids and appear to be staying together long-term but don't get married. i'd wonder what the impact of greater social acceptance of living in sin unmarried cohabitation among younger people is on the divorce rate too.

i mean, if three out of four couples split after being together for ten years, but only one of the splits was a divorce, is the ~divorce rate~ really that relevant?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i see couples who have kids and appear to be staying together long-term but don't get married. i'd wonder what the impact of greater social acceptance of living in sin unmarried cohabitation among younger people is on the divorce rate too.

i mean, if three out of four couples split after being together for ten years, but only one of the splits was a divorce, is the ~divorce rate~ really that relevant?

100% correct we know several decade plus unmarried couples, both with and without sproglets

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that works on the flipside too - are 3 out of 4 'single mothers' really just not married and there's a man in their lives who's helping raise the kids

e: i'm not arguing the numbers as much as the concept

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
yeah of the longtime non-married couples i know its column a/b of being too poor to get married or just not giving a poo poo

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

families are messy things and have been for most of human history.

it would be really cool if civil unions were completely split from the concept of marriage such that it would apply simply to people who live together and want to efficiently comingle finances

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also at that point you have no logical reason to restrict it to two people (0,1,none rule) so you just invented....corporations

which im fine with

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Tatsujin posted:

yeah of the longtime non-married couples i know its column a/b of being too poor to get married or just not giving a poo poo

I still wonder if the spike in divorce rates of the boomers caused gen X and the Millenials to be more careful about choosing mates or at least not rushing to marry. even more interesting is how the numbers split along class lines.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Jonny 290 posted:

also at that point you have no logical reason to restrict it to two people (0,1,none rule) so you just invented....corporations

which im fine with

I have no idea what you are talking bout

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i sure hope that nobody ever lives in this place 2 adults + 2 kids + pets

literally my apartment

what in the

where do u eat dinner

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I dunno, I would be happy with less lascivious "gossip" stuff and more "hosed company" stuff. Valleywag has the right idea and the right target but I definitely think who's loving who, regardless of whether or not it's a perfect microcosm of silicon valley's hosed morals, should be left to its own business so long as it's consensual. Shine all the lights on Uber sexual assaults but Eric Schmidt's sex dungeon I could care less about so long as everything's consensual.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Rexicon1 posted:

I have no idea what you are talking bout

argument for extending the concept of "two people joining in a civil union for various benefits and legal statuses" to poly groups of any arbitrary size

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Elder Postsman posted:

what in the

where do u eat dinner

over the sink, alone

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

FamDav posted:

over the sink, alone

did you not see cuntertop waifu?

he hides an amazon echo behind it to simulate conversation.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

FamDav posted:

over the sink, alone

that's sad. :(

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i think it would be kinda nice to have a couch so i could watch movies in a place other than my bed, but the choice was between having a place for a couch or a place for a workbench so lol no question there really

if you don't have a place other than your bed to watch movies then it is really easy to touch the insides of women from the bar with your penis

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if you don't have a place other than your bed to watch movies then it is really easy to touch the insides of women from the bar with your penis

that's why i got rid of my couch.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

which im fine with

this is the basis of some lovely free kindle book I read, everything becomes a video game ofc

unnoticed
Nov 29, 2005

That's odd...
The whole skyscraper being bought up as investments and nobody actually living there thing is way worse in China. They have whole cities like that. Gonna be interesting when that bubble bursts.
There have been a couple news shows that visited these places and it's really spooky.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
is there a thread to rag on china? because gently caress china seriously.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Stringent posted:

is there a thread to rag on china? because gently caress china seriously.

the china lan thread is a good start for all your laduzi needs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

well yeah that is much denser obviously (you win!) but i was more pointing out the strangeness of the parents splitting it up as father/son in the bedroom and mom on the couch instead of the parents together and teh kid separate. i had never met a family that did it that way before. is that common in other parts of the world? this family was originally from russia

• Locked thread