Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
A little while back, I asked what I should cook for a potluck. I've decided on this pot roast:

http://blog.nomiku.com/post/70160741974/monday-nomday-red-roast-pot-roast

I can just leave it sous vide'ing in my office until the potluck and cut it up on the day of. Now the question is, since I can't post-sear, should I pre-sear? I'm not sure how good/bad of an idea pre-searing is for cook times that are longer than ~2 hours for your typical steak. I imagine the crust will be soggy, but maybe it'll look more appetizing than without a pre-sear? Will the pre-sear form a "barrier" between the marinade and inner meat?

Also, should I try cooking it for longer than 24 hours? I'm thinking of 136 F for the temp.

(If it isn't already apparent, this'll be my first time doing a long-term sous vide; not exactly sure how I should approach this.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

dutchbstrd posted:

Thanks for posting this! I have been meaning to vizzle some corned beef forever now. What did you use for the brine/cure? How long? 5lbs, 7lbs? I typically use Alton Brown's recipe so I figure I'll do the same thing just dump out the brine and rebag before viding.

Honestly, I just used one of the prepack grocery store ones. It was maybe 3lbs, point cut. I'd brine myself, but I was in a hurry. Soaked it in cold water for a day beforehand just so it didn't stay overly salty. Then threw the little spice packet in and rubbed it on both sides, and called it good.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Steve Yun posted:

It is almost the same thing as a sansaire. Maybe whenever they release the app it will be better (or maybe the app will suck) but for now it's the same thing

Ok, cool. I went ahead and ordered the Sansaire. I am looking forward to experimenting with sous vide soon.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Got my anova one this past thursday, was kind of weird, heard it was sold out but it shipped to me immediately and I didn't have to wait at all??? Not complaining just kinda weird. Less than 5 days from order to receiving.

Anyway got a foodsaver 3K series and went to town. Made a super thick ribeye on friday that I think was delicious though I mistimed things so I was pretty drunk by the time it got out of the bath.

Saturday I made that pork belly recipe that someone posted, except I cooked it at 72C for 16 hours, not 80 at 10. The marinade leaked despite double sealing the bags, the bath smelled like hot pork water, but the 4lbs of belly I made turned out pretty well. Wish I would have cooked it lower for longer, wanted it to be more gelatinous but the guests loved it. Served it with saffron rice and squash with ricotta and mulled wine so turned out pretty well.

I couldnt get the skin to crisp at all. I left it on and boy did the collagen break down to wear it was able to be cut with a fork but searing it in cast iron just added some char and a broiler just made every other part crisp. Maybe I should just remove the skin in the future, make cracklings, and serve it on the belly.

That lamb shoulder sounds good for this weekend. Any recipes?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

For corned beef: if you get the store bought stuff already in the brine (no packet) I recall reading that you can just sous vide it straight in that package. Anyone actually try that approach?

Also 140F BSCB is going to be a weekly thing at my house. I have done them with things like chile sauce to make tacos and teriyaki to go with rice and veg, and will definitely start to experiment with different flavorful liquids in the bag. Leftovers are awesome too, I had cold teriyaki chicken with my lunch today and it was just incredible. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Fake edit: I might try with some simple marinara and torch some cheese on top after cooking to make a non-fried chicken parm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Jay Carney posted:

I couldnt get the skin to crisp at all.

Did you pat dry first? Stuff that comes out sous vide is extra wet and needs extra care for the surface to be dried off before you can properly sear it

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Steve Yun posted:

Did you pat dry first? Stuff that comes out sous vide is extra wet and needs extra care for the surface to be dried off before you can properly sear it

Yeah, got it dry as hell. I think the gelatinized pork skin was too naturally moist at that stage to crisp. Was weird normally never have issues with pig skin.

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

For corned beef: if you get the store bought stuff already in the brine (no packet) I recall reading that you can just sous vide it straight in that package. Anyone actually try that approach?

In my experience, the seal on the bag doesn't hold up to the temperature and time. Much safer (and easier in the long run) just to vacuum it yourself.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

The Midniter posted:

I was very very impressed at how my Anova came packaged. I think that if they sent your shipments in individual cardboard boxes, you'd be fine with just slapping a shipping label over the ones currently on the box...
I just got home and opened my big box to see that it was actually two big rectangular boxes taped together, each with multiple smaller rectangular boxes inside, each with a poster tube kinda cylinder inside... this is really impressive packaging, even without the extra brown boxes I can't imagine damaging these things in shipping, they're packed in the tubes like nuclear weapon cores. So that makes stuff easier, I'll be in touch with everyone asap :)

My Searzall came while I was gone over the weekend too, I just seasoned it, going to have to make some French onion soup or something.

G-Prime posted:

Honestly, I just used one of the prepack grocery store ones. It was maybe 3lbs, point cut. I'd brine myself, but I was in a hurry. Soaked it in cold water for a day beforehand just so it didn't stay overly salty. Then threw the little spice packet in and rubbed it on both sides, and called it good.

Ultimate Mango posted:

I've made at least half a dozen in the store bags, it's like if you could go to the counter and just buy deli meat for three bucks a pound instead of double+ that because that's pretty much what you're doing. 36 hours at 160F for meat like cold butter, shorter and hotter if you want something more conventional, quarter a cabbage and cut up a few potatoes/carrots and cook that in the bag juice after. Doing it this way makes it probably the most trivially simple thing I've ever cooked, on par with ramen and probably easier than mac and cheese, even though it turns out phenomenally well. I can imagine some concern about it ending up too salty if you cook it in the same juice it's sold in, but that hasn't been an issue so far.

Maybe some brands are sturdier than others, I've used a few so far and they've all taken as much effort to cut open after as a foodsaver bag or whatever... if you're concerned you could just put the whole thing in a gallon ziploc with a little water to fill the gaps, and/or clip the resulting thing to the side of the pot.

Straker fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 16, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ultimate Mango posted:

Also 140F BSCB is going to be a weekly thing at my house. I have done them with things like chile sauce to make tacos and teriyaki to go with rice and veg, and will definitely start to experiment with different flavorful liquids in the bag. Leftovers are awesome too, I had cold teriyaki chicken with my lunch today and it was just incredible. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Fake edit: I might try with some simple marinara and torch some cheese on top after cooking to make a non-fried chicken parm.

I did this with BSCB from Costco, already individually vacuum sealed...all I had to do was defrost them in cold water and throw them in the pot for an hour. They are unbelievable!! There's no layer of desiccated outer meat like oven cooking produces, even if the internal temp from the oven was ~145.

I've had the Anova for a little over a week and I've already used it half a dozen times. It's fuckin' awesome.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay stupid idea time...

Korean BBQ is often short ribs that are marinated and grilled.

Those ribs often have gristle and tough connective tissue.

What if one were to sous vide Korean cut short ribs for 48 hours, marinate for an hour and then sear them?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Why marinate after the cooking? That's the only thing that seems odd to me.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

G-Prime posted:

Why marinate after the cooking? That's the only thing that seems odd to me.

Yeah, I just did something like this with baby back ribs. Bathed for 30 hours at 138F in the marinade. Reduced marinade and rested, then glazed with the reduction and broiled. They come out amazing. My husband said the texture was almost like fish.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Steve Yun posted:

Okay stupid idea time...

What if one were to sous vide Korean cut short ribs for 48 hours, marinate for an hour and then sear them?

Call me weird, but I like the rings of gristle around the bones. Their thinness, the marinade and the hot grill weaken them just enough that they're crunchy not rubbery.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Steve Yun posted:

Okay stupid idea time...

I think you could probably go so far as to rebag in marinade after 40-something hours and get more umph from the marinade, or cut down the acid in the marinade and use it the whole way through.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

The Midniter posted:

I did this with BSCB from Costco, already individually vacuum sealed...all I had to do was defrost them in cold water and throw them in the pot for an hour. They are unbelievable!! There's no layer of desiccated outer meat like oven cooking produces, even if the internal temp from the oven was ~145.

I've had the Anova for a little over a week and I've already used it half a dozen times. It's fuckin' awesome.

I've probably gone through 3 bags of that frozen chicken from Costco since I got my Anova a couple months ago.

I would open the bags up and rebag with some herbs like rosemary and/or thyme.

The fresh herbs make a huge difference.

You can also just use dry spices which are also amazing. I like to use this Cajun spice mix I make on my BSCB which comes out fantastic.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
I'm going to try a brisket tomorrow. I've got some rubs left from the last time I BBQ'd - should I use that or will it be too much for a 48-hour cook?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Been reading over this thread for a few days now and want to jump in. I can buy the Anova One on Amazon right now, or should I wait for the bluetooth one to be available again after the New Year. Any opinions on whether or not waiting is worth it?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.

DJCobol posted:

Been reading over this thread for a few days now and want to jump in. I can buy the Anova One on Amazon right now, or should I wait for the bluetooth one to be available again after the New Year. Any opinions on whether or not waiting is worth it?

My One works perfectly and I cannot imagine any features that would make it better.

I have no desire to operate my circulator from my iPhone.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
I wouldn't have a problem with mine having all the functionality I have right now, but also having it wifi enabled so I can pull out my phone and validate cook time, adjust temp, etc, without walking to the kitchen. If it had that much capability, it could probably handle active graphing of the state of things too.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

dutchbstrd posted:

My One works perfectly and I cannot imagine any features that would make it better.

I have no desire to operate my circulator from my iPhone.

I thought it might be handy to have the info about how long to cook something, not necessarily to be able to control it via bluetooth. I think the extra circulator volume and heating element on the One will be better to have than bluetooth. Off to Amazon!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

pogo posted:

I'm going to try a brisket tomorrow. I've got some rubs left from the last time I BBQ'd - should I use that or will it be too much for a 48-hour cook?

Rub it but be careful of using too much salt lest you cure it and make it more like corned beef.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

DJCobol posted:

I thought it might be handy to have the info about how long to cook something, not necessarily to be able to control it via bluetooth. I think the extra circulator volume and heating element on the One will be better to have than bluetooth. Off to Amazon!

I have both, and here are what I like, enjoy about each.

One: faster up to high temps, much faster actually getting to 180+
Power cord is removable (nice to leave circulator on the pot and not have the cord flapping around)

Precision: height adjustment is amazing, let's me use more pots easier.
It's smaller, quieter.

Alerts and such changed, as well as timers, but I think a lot of that will come back with the app release, push notifications for at temp, etc.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yo, just got my anova. 10 minutes until puddled eggs :kimchi:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Don't make the mistake with eggs that I did. 45 minutes is for a regular large egg. If you do it with a jumbo, you'll be eating a warm, JUST barely cooked egg, and it's pretty sad.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Yeah, these eggs are kinda big. Did an hour at 65C, and the first one was juuuust barely set. slurped that one up and have the others puddling for another 20 min

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Goddamn why did I wait so long to get one of these. Perfect egg, man.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Casu Marzu posted:

Goddamn why did I wait so long to get one of these. Perfect egg, man.

Yessssss......

There's this vacuum sealer on sale today on Woot. I've just been planning to use ziploc bags and siphon the air out of them, but if I can find a screaming deal on a sealer, I'd jump on it. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Yessssss......

There's this vacuum sealer on sale today on Woot. I've just been planning to use ziploc bags and siphon the air out of them, but if I can find a screaming deal on a sealer, I'd jump on it. Does anyone have any experience with this model?

Thats the one I have. I've been using it for over a year now and it's worked great for me. I had one bag un-seal on me in the freezer once, but I think a piece of bone in the meat I sealed must have punctured it. I use the accessory port with the jar attachment to seal mason jar salads all the time too.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been searching around trying to find some good info and figured I'd ask here as well - has anyone done venison sous vide? My buddy gave me a roast from the rear quarter, so something like a rump roast, as well as a steak cut from lower on the same leg. Both are quite lean and will hopefully cook up well with this method, but I'm wondering how long they should stay in the water. Any ideas? Going to cook them up for dinner tomorrow so hopefully they turn out!

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

krnhotwings posted:

A little while back, I asked what I should cook for a potluck. I've decided on this pot roast:

http://blog.nomiku.com/post/70160741974/monday-nomday-red-roast-pot-roast

I can just leave it sous vide'ing in my office until the potluck and cut it up on the day of. Now the question is, since I can't post-sear, should I pre-sear? I'm not sure how good/bad of an idea pre-searing is for cook times that are longer than ~2 hours for your typical steak. I imagine the crust will be soggy, but maybe it'll look more appetizing than without a pre-sear? Will the pre-sear form a "barrier" between the marinade and inner meat?

Also, should I try cooking it for longer than 24 hours? I'm thinking of 136 F for the temp.

(If it isn't already apparent, this'll be my first time doing a long-term sous vide; not exactly sure how I should approach this.)
So I ended up just pre-searing the meat and then letting it sous vide @ 140 F for 24+ hrs in my office until the potluck. It still ended up quite delicious and was a hit.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I guess Searzalls are back in stock on Amazon?

I don't know if that's news but I remember they were hard to find a while ago.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Test run for Christmas. Sous vide turchetta at 140F.

Probably gonna bump that up to 145F next time, tone down the salt, and broil to finish.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Make sure you chill it before broiling. I made the mistake of taking my turkey thighs straight from bath to fryer, and it dried out the meat.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I dried it well and deep fried. It was awesome and not dry.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I would have mentioned if I knew that was a thing :( I finally ordered a searzall a week ago but that was the first time I saw them in stock at all so assumed everyone knew.

the four people expecting anovas from me, really sorry for the wait, I ended up with the flu and spending an extra couple days at my baby mama's place so she could take care of me, then out tonight for anniversary dinner. if you guys are reading this and want to PM me your addresses I should be able to get them out tomorrow afternoon and I'm in Chicago so they SHOULD arrive for Christmas, price will still be whatever I said earlier, I can't imagine shipping being unreasonable being that they arrived in nice compact brown boxes. I know I've heard from three of you, the fourth I'll wait until like Christmas for (I know I didn't say to pm me in the first place) and then yours is going to the other guy who already wrote me :)

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
PM sent.

Everyone around here has been getting the drat flu too but I've been lucky so far so I can't complain. Take however long you need.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

qutius posted:

venison sous vide?

I ended up doing the roast for 13 hours and the steak for 2.5 at 130 degrees, everyone liked the steak but the roast was outstanding. Both went well with a tart cherry sauce.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I pounded some BSCBs, put prosciutto on top then rolled them. Cooked at 142, then panko breaded and flash fried. Served with a dijon sauce. Huge hit with the family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I pounded some BSCBs, put prosciutto on top then rolled them. Cooked at 142, then panko breaded and flash fried. Served with a dijon sauce. Huge hit with the family.

How did you get the panko to stick?

Also, I'm completely unfamiliar with flash frying-any tips?