Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use wusthof sheers that come apart, I've never felt that they may break on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Wookums posted:

I use wusthof sheers that come apart, I've never felt that they may break on me.
Yeah, these are the ones I have on my Amazon wish list: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000631ZM/

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

deimos posted:

For the record, these are the Tres Claveles that I replaced: http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/3claveles-scissors/3claveles-scissors-400.asp?product=tres-claveles-400 Except 30 years older.

Oh man, I love this site. The English is just wonderful. Right now I'm looking at "Profesional Beefcase" (knife kit briefcase), "kitchen axes" (cleavers), "kitchen coolware" (cookware).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

anyone have any recommendations for kitchen shears? I keep breaking the ones I get on chicken backbones.
I've got a pair of Kershaw Taskmaster shears that I've been using for around seven years and I have no complaints.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've taken to spatchcocking with my boner. Whole lot easier than with shears.
I usually spatchcock with my CCK #1 butcher's knife, and break down necks and that kind of thing with a CCK #1 kitchen chopper. But for taking off wing tips and going through individual poultry bones a pair of shears with a bone notch is really loving convenient.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I've had good luck with OXO Good Grips Kitchen Shears.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Bob_McBob posted:

If they need to know anything about the code, it's from the "Thinking Moms' Revolution" Facebook page, which I haven't linked because it's a bunch of nutjob anti-vaccers. Cheap Vitamix though, so whatever.

Ugh, just bought a refurb on amazon. Oh well.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Velius posted:

Return that poo poo and buy the cheaper one? Or send them a copy of the coupon and try to get them to retroactively price match for you?

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
Remember how awesome woot.com used to be before they sold it to amazon and it became a bloated mess? Well the guys who started woot have created a new daily deal site meh.com and today until midnight eastern for sale are 3 Shun Knives and a knife block for $240. Includes 8" chef knife, 6" serrated panini knife, and 4.5" paring knife.

This is $568 List, $360 at Amazon but $240 at meh.com for the rest of the day and then its gone.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
The 3pc Tojiro DP set is currently $144 on ck2g. Better knives, better deal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Loanarn posted:

Remember how awesome woot.com used to be before they sold it to amazon and it became a bloated mess? Well the guys who started woot have created a new daily deal site meh.com and today until midnight eastern for sale are 3 Shun Knives and a knife block for $240. Includes 8" chef knife, 6" serrated panini knife, and 4.5" paring knife.

This is $568 List, $360 at Amazon but $240 at meh.com for the rest of the day and then its gone.

Thanks for the info about meh.com. I definitely noticed that Woot went downhill after Amazon bought it, but occasionally you will find a good deal on things (I got a Dyson vacuum and a Vizio soundbar w/sub and satellite speakers for a song). Then again, I don't give a flying gently caress about buying refurbed poo poo as long as there's a warranty, and I know some people stay soundly away from such things.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

Thanks for the info about meh.com. I definitely noticed that Woot went downhill after Amazon bought it, but occasionally you will find a good deal on things (I got a Dyson vacuum and a Vizio soundbar w/sub and satellite speakers for a song). Then again, I don't give a flying gently caress about buying refurbed poo poo as long as there's a warranty, and I know some people stay soundly away from such things.

I just got a bag o crap from woot that had a nice digital wine thermometer and a roku in it. Not too shabby for 8 bucks.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

Velius posted:

It should be noted that the Vitamix corporation has a team of crack scientists who monitor online purchases, and ensure that that moment anyone purchases a unit they immediately drop the price just so that person didn't get the sale. It happened to me as well.

...and about ten seconds into hearing your Vitamix spin up into smoothie mode you'll be converted to the One True Religion. Praise the Vitamix, for when the day of reckoning comes it shall turn us all back into a bowl of the Primordial Soup. And that Soup shall be piping hot and frothy. Amen.

In other news I swear I'm going to end up with a whole kitchen drawer of OXO Good Grips. I wish more companies would take the hint.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

revdrkevind posted:

...and about ten seconds into hearing your Vitamix spin up into smoothie mode you'll be converted to the One True Religion. Praise the Vitamix, for when the day of reckoning comes it shall turn us all back into a bowl of the Primordial Soup. And that Soup shall be piping hot and frothy. Amen.

Vitamix,

With just one touch from your Almighty creative hand,
You have blended the fruit and crushed the ice.
How amazing is your Lordship over all the blended,
How powerful is your redeeming motor hum.
How great was your sacrifice to go full bore and create soup from mere movement.
By your toggle switches I ask for feeding.
Standing within your reign and rule I ask for forgiveness for calling my previous implements "blenders".
May life and wellness grow in fullness until it overflows causing a mess because I underestimated your ultimate power..

Amen.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Gyshall posted:

I have an Aeropress which owns for single cup coffee but I'm curious if there is a good similar method for more than one or two cups at a time, preferably one that has minimal grounds/sediment in the final brew.

for no sediment at all but maximum flavour, you need to go to pourover - a 4 or 6 cup chemex or a hario VDG-03B (or a kalita wave, as mentioned)

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Can anyone recommend a decent casserole in an $x-50 range? A friend has this on their wedding registry. While that may in fact be great, I a) I don't have a casserole myself to judge by and b) most of their other kitchen gear seemed pretty 'well this is the best we can get from this place to consolidate registries' and I know the dude loves to cook so I'm willing to go beyond to get something actually good if there's better. Also I want a casserole myself and this is a good excuse to buy two and at least for me I wonder if 3qt is a decent size for common use? Perception may be tainted by crockpot sizing...

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What kind of accuracy should I expect from measuring cups? I received this set http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oneida-Measuring-Cups/15149531 made by Robinson Home Products, and weighing out water on a food scale at 1 gram resolution, the cups were 7-11% too large.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 22, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
3% inaccuracy would be a good limit, I think. 7-11 seems drastic.

Then again any recipe that's demanding accuracy will tell you to measure by weight, right?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 22, 2014

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Oh, Vitamix, why did I doubt you? Why did I wait so long? I love you. Refurb + 25% Friend and family discount (code: 07-0103-01-01)

I wish I didn't test the waters with this ninja bullet thing. It just makes things chunky and hot.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just bought the cusinart tob-200 rotisserie oven. Any goon reviews?

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TOB-200-Rotisserie-Convection-Stainless/dp/B00MVWGQQC

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

What kind of accuracy should I expect from measuring cups? I received this set http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oneida-Measuring-Cups/15149531 made by Robinson Home Products, and weighing out water on a food scale at 1 gram resolution, the cups were 7-11% too large.

The accuracy is probably better for dry ingredients that you can level off. For liquids there's bound to be some inaccuracy from the convex surface of the liquid, particularly for shallow and wide cups like those.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent casserole in an $x-50 range? A friend has this on their wedding registry. While that may in fact be great, I a) I don't have a casserole myself to judge by and b) most of their other kitchen gear seemed pretty 'well this is the best we can get from this place to consolidate registries' and I know the dude loves to cook so I'm willing to go beyond to get something actually good if there's better. Also I want a casserole myself and this is a good excuse to buy two and at least for me I wonder if 3qt is a decent size for common use? Perception may be tainted by crockpot sizing...

Get a dutch oven or iron cookstove, so it can pull double-duty? No idea about this particular item. I just use some gigantic dutch oven someone got me for everything.

Short of easily chipping, or being made from cancer, you're buying a painted hunk of clay. Looks and feel are a big factor- just check to make sure it has thick walls and reviews don't point to instant chipping. Good brands have a warranty to cover the chipping, so that's why you pay the big bucks (once, in your whole life, and you're set). If you're trying to go cheap, I'd say cruise secondhand stores as a top priority*. As noted, a crockpot bowl with a lid is usually a pretty good casserole dish to boot. Handle if possible to see if you like the aesthetics and heft. Casseroles range from single-serving-size (ramekins) to huge. What are you making?

*(Secondhand stores may not be the best recommendation right before the holiday, but hey.)

geetee posted:

Oh, Vitamix, why did I doubt you? Why did I wait so long? I love you.

Welcome to the cult club.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I also just got a Vitamix. Anyone got a margarita recipe they like? I made the one from the recipe book (the one with a whole peeled orange+lime+lemon) and it was a little too pulpy for me.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jmcrofts posted:

I also just got a Vitamix. Anyone got a margarita recipe they like? I made the one from the recipe book (the one with a whole peeled orange+lime+lemon) and it was a little too pulpy for me.

i LOVE my vitamix, but i'd never use it for margaritas.

margarita:

ice
simple syrup
lime
tequila
shake
drink

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

3% inaccuracy would be a good limit, I think. 7-11 seems drastic.

Then again any recipe that's demanding accuracy will tell you to measure by weight, right?
Sure, but overadding some ingredients by 10% all the time will drive me nuts. It's a shame, because there's a lot to like about the cups.

Caddrel posted:

The accuracy is probably better for dry ingredients that you can level off. For liquids there's bound to be some inaccuracy from the convex surface of the liquid, particularly for shallow and wide cups like those.
I actually tried to level off the water and when I initially saw they were too large so I definitely didn't overfill, but I had to get pretty far below the rim to hit the proper weight, nothing you'd ever achieve while measuring dry ingredients.

I guess I'll see if I can find a similar replacement on the cheap. This seems to be the generic version of the Cuisipro cups and may be worth a go: http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-42931-Commercial/dp/B00KH9PUDQ/

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

mediaphage posted:

i LOVE my vitamix, but i'd never use it for margaritas.

margarita:

ice
simple syrup
lime
tequila
shake
drink

I agree with not using the vitamix for margaritas.

I disagree with the recipe.

Margarita:

Ice
Tequila
Triple Sec (Cointreau, Patron's citrus liquor, or Grand Marnier are my go to varieties)
Lime juice
Shake and pour into lightly salted glass, garnish with lime

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess I'll see if I can find a similar replacement on the cheap. This seems to be the generic version of the Cuisipro cups and may be worth a go: http://www.amazon.com/New-Star-Foodservice-42931-Commercial/dp/B00KH9PUDQ/

If it helps any here's CI's review of several dry measuring cups and their accuracy:

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
what is CI?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Cooks Illustrated

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
haha, a buddy of mine has those All-Clad measuring cups and I think of that sentence in the table Steve Yun posted every time I see them out. :mmmhmm:

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms
I'm looking for a recommendation on a good nonstick skillet that will work with my induction burner. When I use my cast iron pan on the burner it overheats the induction burner and I find it much harder to flip an egg with the massive thing so I'm looking for a better solution.

I've been looking at the various Nonstick MultiClad offerings from Cuisinart that have a nonstick coating but I'm concerned based off of some of the reviews I read that they aren't very nonstick. This pan would mostly be for fried eggs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Can anyone recommend a seal/pour bottle for oils and such while cooking? I know OXO sells a stopper you can plug into any bottle, but I'm looking for something more integrated plus it has semi-bad reviews due to it's 'universal' nature.

I've seen a few stopper bottles but they tend to be too big to easily juggle and use. Anyone have a favorite?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Bhodi posted:

Can anyone recommend a seal/pour bottle for oils and such while cooking? I know OXO sells a stopper you can plug into any bottle, but I'm looking for something more integrated plus it has semi-bad reviews due to it's 'universal' nature.

I've seen a few stopper bottles but they tend to be too big to easily juggle and use. Anyone have a favorite?

I have been where you've been. Stopper bottles all suck. They're bulky and messy. gently caress them.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Dispense-Bottle/14964974

These things are compact, and the small spout doesn't get drippy or messy, and it shoots out oil in a nice thin stream. The caps don't get lost, don't get gunked up, and being able to squeeze the bottle for pressure is handy.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Bhodi posted:

I have two attractive clear glass bottles for olive oil and vegetable oil, both plugged up with things that look like this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-count-BL...=item3a85899620

they don't leak or drip at all, they're perfect. couldn't ask for anything better.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You can walk into any liquor store and buy a few whiskey gates/free flow pourers. They work great, and are like 50c.

remember
Nov 23, 2006

Loanarn posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation on a good nonstick skillet that will work with my induction burner. When I use my cast iron pan on the burner it overheats the induction burner and I find it much harder to flip an egg with the massive thing so I'm looking for a better solution.

I've been looking at the various Nonstick MultiClad offerings from Cuisinart that have a nonstick coating but I'm concerned based off of some of the reviews I read that they aren't very nonstick. This pan would mostly be for fried eggs.

If you're just getting the pan for eggs, just get a cheap teflon coated pan from Marshalls.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Those are aluminium.

Don't have a great answer for you other than to use butter? I think it makes eggs in non-stick/cast iron easier than even bacon grease on my induction top. I don't think there's much of a market for induction non-sticks aside from all-clad and the likes as the steel makes it expensive for a non-stick.

/e- Also just read the overheating part. The inductions will overheat with cast iron if you keep it on the 1-10 watt settings, when that starts to happen just swap it to 320 degrees or something until you cook with that heat. I honestly hardly ever use a setting above 5 unless I am boiling and when I do use those settings I have to continuously pump out food before the overheat happens.

I contacted duxtop becase the same thing was happening with me when I was just trying to sweat onions at setting 3 with the cast iron and got this as a reply:

quote:

Dear Wookums,
Thank you for contacting us about your duxtop 8300ST. Other cooktop may have only one cooking mode. Duxtop has two cooking modes, power mode and temperature mode. Power mode heats the cookware at fixed wattage output, regardless of the temperature of the cooktop. Temperature mode adjusts the wattage output constantly to maintain a preset temperature.

If a specific cooking temperature is not required we suggest using Power mode instead of Temperature mode. To quickly bring a pot of water to boil, use a higher power level setting. For frying or browning food, Temperature mode is preferred because the built-in micro process monitors regulates the cookware temperature to the preset temperature so your food does not burn. Frying or browning food under Power mode may overheat the cookware and in some cases extremely high temperatures may damage your cookware or cooktop. The Duxtop has a built-in safety mechanism to detect such situations and the unit can switch to Temp mode from Power mode automatically when overheating is detected. When this happens it is an indication that Temp mode may be more suitable for your current cooking task

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 30, 2014

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

El Jebus posted:

I agree with not using the vitamix for margaritas.

I disagree with the recipe.

Margarita:

Ice
Tequila
Triple Sec (Cointreau, Patron's citrus liquor, or Grand Marnier are my go to varieties)
Lime juice
Shake and pour into lightly salted glass, garnish with lime

Why would you not use it for margaritas? Just curious.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Phiberoptik posted:

Why would you not use it for margaritas? Just curious.

Because margaritas should not be blended

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Because margaritas should not be blended

An aerated margarita is fine, a frozen one is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I have been where you've been. Stopper bottles all suck. They're bulky and messy. gently caress them.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Dispense-Bottle/14964974

These things are compact, and the small spout doesn't get drippy or messy, and it shoots out oil in a nice thin stream. The caps don't get lost, don't get gunked up, and being able to squeeze the bottle for pressure is handy.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You can walk into any liquor store and buy a few whiskey gates/free flow pourers. They work great, and are like 50c.

These are both correct answers.

I keep everything I'd ever want to add to a hot pan in squeeze bottles near my oven (soy sauce, chili oil...). I keep recycled fryer oil, general cooking oil, etc in cleaned-up liquor bottles with liquor tops on the counter so they look all glamorous even though it's just oil.

It's especially handy when you're knee-deep into a complex meal. Say you decide you'd like to add a dash of sesame oil you hadn't planned for. So you have to dig through your cabinet for the sesame oil, have to deal with one of those funky cheap pull rings or a twist cap, pour what you need, probably wipe off the neck, and put it back, potentially while juggling your food so you don't burn something and screw it that's too much effort grab the bottle and squeeze.

Sure it sounds like an infomercial. But in practice it's really nice and makes you feel like a professional.

• Locked thread