Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I would like to point out to everyone that after several failed attempts filled with confusion and annoyance that, yes, Zen (and Rei, I suppose) do technically count as a single female character by the Festival Dudes, no matter at what point in time in the game they are used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I think the final final boss of the game has some attacks, but I didn't see any of them after a panic landed before he could move and lasted the entire battle :magical:

I was indifferent towards the ending at first, but after letting it sit for awhile, I think it's somewhat satisfying but still on the :smith: side of things.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
What new content is available in new game+? Just curious if it's worth it to play through again

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

g0lbez posted:

What new content is available in new game+? Just curious if it's worth it to play through again

The big thing I can think of is that there's a bonus boss fight with the Velvet Room trio. There's also the standard perspective differences with a few scenes specific to the P3/P4 stories, like the SEES realizing what crap friends they are and trying to fix it in P3, and Kanji's whole deal with Ken in P4.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I have not seen this mentioned yet, but Marie (bleugh) and Nanako (yay!) are now available as support Navs. I am currently downloading Nanako and am very excited for every day being great at my Junes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5W75QxHgpoM

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 17, 2014

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Strange Quark posted:

The big thing I can think of is that there's a bonus boss fight with the Velvet Room trio

to clarify, this right here only unlocks when you complete the game with both protagonists.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Strange Quark posted:

The big thing I can think of is that there's a bonus boss fight with the Velvet Room trio. There's also the standard perspective differences with a few scenes specific to the P3/P4 stories, like the SEES realizing what crap friends they are and trying to fix it in P3, and Kanji's whole deal with Ken in P4.

Someday I hope to be good enough at these games to do the bonus bosses. I'm in the third dungeon and killing card soldiers still takes most of my parties SP and forever. And yes, I try to use tentarafoo with an impure reached naota. I've still been punch by the boss. I don't know how you guys get lucky enough to have it 1) stick reliably and 2) not have them immediately punch you in the face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

Someday I hope to be good enough at these games to do the bonus bosses. I'm in the third dungeon and killing card soldiers still takes most of my parties SP and forever. And yes, I try to use tentarafoo with an impure reached naota. I've still been punch by the boss. I don't know how you guys get lucky enough to have it 1) stick reliably and 2) not have them immediately punch you in the face.

Poison them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Len posted:

Poison at that level does way more damage per turn than your entire party combined.

The point of Panic is to make later enemies stop using spells, not to make them stop punching you. When the enemies start having spells that insta-kill your entire party or heal themselves to full, that's when you appreciate them punching you in the face.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Another point of panic is to make the enemies stop having a chance to dodge, which causes things like Myriad Arrows to be stupid powerful.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ZeButler posted:

Another point of panic is to make the enemies stop having a chance to dodge, which causes things like Myriad Arrows to be stupid powerful.

Essentially it's every bind at once, plus a chance to hit themselves.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've only just finished the second labyrinth, but I've been getting absurd damage with poison coupled with Koromaru having a persona with Guillotine and First Star while Kanji has Bloody Vanguard and a bunch of poo poo to make links better.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Len posted:

Enemies can still attack while panicked, they just can't use skills which is way more important than single physical attacks. Are you using offensive magic? Physical stuff is pretty much strictly better in every situation.

Sometimes even with Impure Reach/Binding Hands and full buffs/debuffs things are gonna dodge, that's just RNG.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

So, just bought and downloaded the Nanako Navigator Voice Pack... I think she's going to kill me from adorableness before any enemy can kill me from punching me...

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So, I haven't been keeping up with this thread in ages, but is it worth it to get Margaret or Elizabeth as a Nav (Theo's ehhh to me since I didn't play P3P)? I guess Marie and Nanako just got dropped today, so I imagine nobody has much stuff on them yet.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Travis Willingham as Theo is pretty great, but Bryce Papenbrook doesn't really do it for me. Couldn't justify paying for that one. If they ever go on sale, I'll pick up Marie, Elizabeth, and Nanako.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yo, how do I move forward in the 4th floor of Evil Spirit Club? I managed to trap the FOE between the light switches, but now there's a creepy baby blocking the only other path and there's a broken door I can't open. I would rather not have to do the creepy doll chase every time I enter the floor.

Nevermind! Just figured it out!

Man, this floor is scary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I finally stopped being distracted by Pokemon and cleared You in Wonderland. I love how the P4 cast shows up to do Jojo's Bizarre Adventure poses. :allears:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I have a question about the new Navigator DLCs. They are just voice packs correct? If you have Theo or Nanako as your nav, you are still using the abilities equipped to Rise and Fuuka?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Correct.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Cool. I'll probably pick up Theo and Nanako then. Now which to make field and which to make combat...

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Do evolved personas get carried over into NG+? I'm not using P4MC in my main party, and if they don't carry over I figure I'll just unlock it during my second playthrough since I'll be leveling him instead.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Moldy Taxes posted:

Do evolved personas get carried over into NG+? I'm not using P4MC in my main party, and if they don't carry over I figure I'll just unlock it during my second playthrough since I'll be leveling him instead.

They do. It's even reflected in the dialogue.

It's an SMT IV kind of situation, where you get the option of either carrying over everything or nothing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anyone know how to fuse Black Frost and Phoenix? They're the only personas I need below my level.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

^^^ Pretty sure Black Frost is just Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and King Frost.

Strange Quark posted:

They do. It's even reflected in the dialogue.

It's an SMT IV kind of situation, where you get the option of either carrying over everything or nothing.

Yeah, I really wish there was an option between carrying over everything, just the map, and nothing. I'd like to have carried over just my map and compendium, for example, but not character levels and equipment.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Anyone know how to fuse Black Frost and Phoenix? They're the only personas I need below my level.
Black Frost is the three Frosts, and I don't think Phoenix is a special fusion.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cool, I have Black Frost now thanks. I know Phoenix isn't a special fusion, I just need it.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
You can always fuse the two above it in that arcana (Sun, right?).

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Zurai posted:

^^^ Pretty sure Black Frost is just Jack Frost, Pyro Jack, and King Frost.

Yeah, I really wish there was an option between carrying over everything, just the map, and nothing. I'd like to have carried over just my map and compendium, for example, but not character levels and equipment.

Especially weird because Etrian Odyssey Untold let you choose whether or not to carry over your map, levels, item storage, and shop stock individually. Figured they would do that here too, but I guess not!

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Beat the game earlier this evening and I've gotta say that I really, really enjoyed it. Rei/Zen (Raisin?) are pretty great and I'm very happy with the overall plot to the game. It fits in very well with the "bonds" theme P3 and P4 specialize in. I'll be playing through the game as the P4 protagonist in my second playthrough and I'm looking forward to seeing how things change up.

Perhaps more importantly, this game has gotten me interested in the other Etrian Odysseys. Think I might take a peek at them whenever I get some downtime. :unsmith:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Grimace posted:

Perhaps more importantly, this game has gotten me interested in the other Etrian Odysseys. Think I might take a peek at them whenever I get some downtime. :unsmith:

If you're gonna do that, EO4 is a very good starting point. It's the easiest EO game and it's the most user friendly of the bunch.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, either EO4 or EOU, depending on how important story is to you, are the best starting points.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Einwand posted:

Doing what Elizabeth tells you to removes their ability to use crazed slash, diarahan and they only get one attack per turn. It might also do something else but I always just panic killed them so I'm not completely sure.

Okay so they just rolled me with two attacks per turn and I had Shinjiro, P3MC, P4MC, and Kanji. Am I missing someting?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

StandardVC10 posted:

Okay so they just rolled me with two attacks per turn and I had Shinjiro, P3MC, P4MC, and Kanji. Am I missing someting?

Did you use a Leader Skill? That counts against you too.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Did you use a Leader Skill? That counts against you too.

Only after I lost two guys in the first turn, but yes. Wait, do passive leader skills count? I have one that restores a tiny bit of HP every turn.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Well things looked good until they used Crazed Slash four turns in a row. At least they only moved once instead of twice!

edit: oh what the gently caress, now they're back on two-attacks-per-turn. does loving Snake Glare set them off too, because I can't even think of anything else that would have done it this time.

StandardVC10 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 18, 2014

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I found it simpler to just say gently caress their gimmick, roll in with my full team, bind their poo poo, make them panic, and wreck them. They don't have high HP compared to a lot of other FOEs.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Zurai posted:

I found it simpler to just say gently caress their gimmick, roll in with my full team, bind their poo poo, make them panic, and wreck them. They don't have high HP compared to a lot of other FOEs.

I can't make panic stick. I can't make ANYTHING stick. Someone earlier said that following the gimmick makes them not use Crazed Slash, but that's just patently untrue so I may as loving well go in with five people.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

StandardVC10 posted:

Only after I lost two guys in the first turn, but yes. Wait, do passive leader skills count? I have one that restores a tiny bit of HP every turn.

Using leader skills counts. It's the easiest FOE, if you follow the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Picked up Theo and Nanako as nav voices, as well as Thanatos. Having Nanako as my combat nav is pretty funny. She describes a fire weakness as the monster not liking being hot and sweaty. Add to that Theo's calm collected notifications that people are about to die and its a good deal. Having Thanatos and his +190 HP and Primal Force on Kanji at level 19 is fun.

• Locked thread