Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

This is really cool. Fingers crossed that GW pushes 'crons in the direction of Fantasy's VC even further, what with using magic to raise back considerable chunks of your army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
That would be awesome if they got some sort of resurrection ability or something during the Psychic Phase or something similar to psychic powers that did things like that.

I super like that formation as it really feels like a Necron formation, a unkillable slow horde of Machines marching toward you.

It's expensive though.

Minimum 500 I think for the whole formation, but still so many warriors and Immortals.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Moola posted:

Just finished reading the last 200 or so posts

Very entertaining, cheers Holly!

No joke, I think he's totally tweaked on some cheap speed.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Mango Polo posted:

This is really cool. Fingers crossed that GW pushes 'crons in the direction of Fantasy's VC even further, what with using magic to raise back considerable chunks of your army.

It certainly makes the points per unit cost more justifiable. If they're running detachments with reroll 1s and monoliths (on top of ghost arks) bringing back D6/D3 guys per turn, I don't see them making the warriors or immortals cheaper per unit.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

So I'm assuming that the reason Death Company are relentless is that you can rapid fire with Boltguns then charge if you wanted.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PeterWeller posted:

No joke, I think he's totally tweaked on some cheap speed.

We call it "The Black Rage" 'round these parts.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

The notion that someone plays Warhammer but has somehow not accrued 86 dollars of disposable income in the four years since the last Blood Angels book is ludicrous.

The notion that every player should be willing to spend indefinite amounts of money to build armies they don't want is ludicrous.

Naramyth posted:

The tac marine box got updated when the marine book dropped?

:thejoke:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Naw I'm just off today and in my kitchen making gumbo and intermittently making phone calls to governmental agencies regarding disability advocacy.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 17, 2014

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Thank you.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

xtothez posted:

Which race relies on 4 White Dwarf issues for rules? So far all new units printed in WD have been copies of pages either from codexes, from a supplement, and/or later released for free.

I think Gerantius and the Looted Wagon are still WD exclusive, aren't they?

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!
So the gist of the last few pages I'm getting is that Blood Angels players have the black rage about the fact that the GW design team has decided their codex-adherent chapter really ought to act like one and that they now have to use formations, or *ugh* unbound (which is as good as forcing you to spend money to keep playing the game apparently), if they still want to run their assault-marine-only armies, and are pounding their blood fists on their blood chests for the return to the heyday of the Matt Ward codex?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Controversy bot, go!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Texmo posted:

So the gist of the last few pages I'm getting is that Blood Angels players have the black rage about the fact that the GW design team has decided their codex-adherent chapter really ought to act like one and that they now have to use formations, or *ugh* unbound (which is as good as forcing you to spend money to keep playing the game apparently), if they still want to run their assault-marine-only armies, and are pounding their blood fists on their blood chests for the return to the heyday of the Matt Ward codex?

It's ok for GW to invalidate my army and invested hobby time/money because

quote:

Hollismason's argument is that we should all be fine with paying out ~£152 ($239 US) on rules so that we can use an army which cost £25 for the rules last time round. Because dataslates and formations are that great. He also thinks we should then be okay spending another £97 ($152) on new model kits to make up for the 'or whatever' gaps those rules still leave.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 17, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Oh my god so many warriors...

Formation
10 Necron Warriors
10 Necron Warriors
10 Immortals
10 Immortals
Monolith

HQ
Necron Lord w/ Command Barge , standard stuff
Necron Lord w/ Command Barge, standard stuff

Troops
5x Warriors w/ Nightscythe

Fast Attack
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge

Comes out to exactly 1850

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

It's already been shown that this is just completely loving false and that you do not have to spend 270 dollars to play your army. The first book of Baal isn't needed, the formations from the WD are most likely going to be Free. Also, you could just always :filez:

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

no, it's never ok for GW to update the rules to the game, especially not when there is an explicit exception in the rulebook called 'unbound' which allows people to continue playing with their existing collection even if it no longer adheres to the updated rules' force organization. Really we should all still be playing rogue trader.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'll tox if you guys will in regards to whether at the end of Exterminatus or this whole campaign you can not field a entire army of Jump Pack troops. Not even using Unbound, like straight up Battleforged army.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Also, you could just always :filez:

Mods?!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Dude every formation is already in this thread.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
MODS?!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Hollismason posted:

I'll tox if you guys will in regards to whether at the end of Exterminatus or this whole campaign you can not field a entire army of Jump Pack troops. Not even using Unbound, like straight up Battleforged army.

Please just toxx now and save us future headaches.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

BULBASAUR posted:

Well, you have invested a lot of time and money into the game already so now you should be prepared to spend even more time and money to keep playing.

Besides, it's only $86.00 of tactical marines. And $239.00 of blood angels rules. Don't forget the new $100.00 core rule book that just came out I guess.

See, practically nothing.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

Naw I'm just off today and in my kitchen making gumbo and intermittently making phone calls to governmental agencies regarding disability advocacy.

Just show them your posts in this thread.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Exinos posted:

Well, you have invested a lot of time and money into the game already so now you should be prepared to spend even more time and money to keep playing.

Besides, it's only $86.00 of tactical marines. And $239.00 of blood angels rules. Don't forget the new $100.00 core rule book that just came out I guess.

See, practically nothing.

Or you read the core game rulebook and then keep playing with what you have anyway, because that's actually a rules-legal thing to do.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Unbound was an extremely clever move by GW because it can be used to justify literally any design decision they make. But it's nothing new. You could go unbound since the game was written. It doesn't justify poor design choices or business decisions.

GW can and should constantly improve the rules for their game. They should not be doing this by punishing players for being loyal consumers, especially when its the factions entire gimmick. Gamers get very very upset if their 100+ hour saved games are suddenly corrupted, a new patch removes characteristics of their faction, or a new DLC invalidates the gear they spent many hours grinding for. That's why, despite the complexity in video games, studios find ways to appease their player base by adding options ontop of existing. They avoid making their consumers upset, because we don't like thousands of 1 star reviews on metracritic or sending our users away to the competition.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Oh my god so many warriors...

Formation
10 Necron Warriors
10 Necron Warriors
10 Immortals
10 Immortals
Monolith

HQ
Necron Lord w/ Command Barge , standard stuff
Necron Lord w/ Command Barge, standard stuff

Troops

Fast Attack
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge
Annihilation Barge

Comes out to exactly 1850

Immortals are being moved to Elites.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I've got to be honest, I've played a fair few games against Blood Angels and I don't actually remember anyone having Assault Marines as troops outside of 1 dude who had an all jump pack army. In fact I don't actually remember them taking Assault Marines at all.

Just my personal experience though.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
At least then an elite slot might be used.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

serious gaylord posted:

I've got to be honest, I've played a fair few games against Blood Angels and I don't actually remember anyone having Assault Marines as troops outside of 1 dude who had an all jump pack army. In fact I don't actually remember them taking Assault Marines at all.

How many, out of interest, had DC as Troops?

As I've said before, with regards to the FoC fuckery, for me it's less about one or even two units being moved to Elites, it is that they removed 60% of the books Troops choices, all of them the Blood Angels specific ones. Into an Elite slot which, as far as I'm aware now the most bloated in the game at eleven units. And the only reason I can see for moving all of them was to force sales of the new Tacticals box, which would probably have sold well enough anyway because we're all hobby idiots who like the shiny things.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 18, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Hoping for some of the elites to get a reduction in price or maybe some cool new abilities. Those models are super great, but Oh my god so terrible. Still fun to play though.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

BULBASAUR posted:

Unbound was an extremely clever move by GW because it can be used to justify literally any design decision they make. But it's nothing new. You could go unbound since the game was written. It doesn't justify poor design choices or business decisions.

GW can and should constantly improve the rules for their game. They should not be doing this by punishing players for being loyal consumers, especially when its the factions entire gimmick. Gamers get very very upset if their 100+ hour saved games are suddenly corrupted, a new patch removes characteristics of their faction, or a new DLC invalidates the gear they spent many hours grinding for. That's why, despite the complexity in video games, studios find ways to appease their player base by adding options ontop of existing. They avoid making their consumers upset, because we don't like thousands of 1 star reviews on metracritic or sending our users away to the competition.

Keep in mind that you're defending codex design decisions introduced by Matt Ward that GW are rectifying while also not completely invalidating people's collections.
The Blood Angels are a codex-compliant chapter; only Ward's book has featured assault marines as troops. It also featured Blood Fists, and infinity-attacks death company dreadnoughts, so make of this what you will.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

serious gaylord posted:

I've played against BA a ton and jumpers/sang guard/DC as troops were all terrible traps in any edition. The jam was rhino rushes, AV13 gun lines, and lasplas razors.

Maybe GW is trying to make BA players better??? :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
infinity attack dreadnought was awesome.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

How many, out of interest, had DC as Troops?

As I've said before, with regards to the FoC fuckery, for me it's less about one or even two units being moved to Elites, it is that they removed 60% of the books Troops choices, all of them the Blood Angels specific ones. Into an Elite slot which, as far as I'm aware is now the most bloated in the game at eleven units.

They were in a fair few peoples armies true. I saw a lot of Tactical marines funnily enough, but not much more than the minimum 2 squads and transports to hold back field objectives while the smashy stuff went and did the damage.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Someone correct me but how exactly does that meteoric strike work? Like if your in range of 10 models from the formation that unit would take 10 ST4 hits correct?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Texmo posted:

only Ward's book has featured assault marines as troops.

4th edition white dwarf codex first introduced them as troops, actually.

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

Slimnoid posted:

4th edition white dwarf codex first introduced them as troops, actually.

I stand corrected.
However, my point still holds about people still being able to play with their collection while still having the rules updated to reflect their codex-compliance. Those who want to field lots of jump troops in battle-forged armies have also been thrown a bone in the form of some pretty ace looking jump-centric formations.

Texmo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 18, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hollismason posted:

Definitely meth.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Noctiss was better than Holly

There I said it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I still see no one is willing to take me up on the bet that by the end of this there will be a option to take an all Jump Pack army.

• Locked thread