Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Man what I'd do for an HD remake of Wild Arms 3. What happened to the developers anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Man what I'd do for an HD remake of Wild Arms 3. What happened to the developers anyway?

Media Vision still exist but they just do Shining games that never leave Japan these days.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Media.Vision are still around they did the Chaos Rings mobile games for S-E, the PSP Shining games for Sega and Valkyria Chronicles 3. Contrail was an in-house Sony thing that only worked on WA3 and Legend of Legia (anyone else remember that one?)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Legend of Legia (anyone else remember that one?)

I would kill for Legaia 3. gently caress, I even liked Legaia 2 and I heard everyone hated that one.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think Legia 2 was the first game I printed a move-list out for from GameFAQ's back in the day. But it wasn't really very good, no.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
wa3 was one of the least impressive story wise but gameplay and characters and world it is the best and my favorite

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Stelas posted:

I would kill for Legaia 3. gently caress, I even liked Legaia 2 and I heard everyone hated that one.

Legaia 2 was better than the first. It was way less grindy. The first one was hard as balls at some points which is sorta good but I could only ever get past by grinding.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Levantine posted:

Legaia 2 was better than the first. It was way less grindy. The first one was hard as balls at some points which is sorta good but I could only ever get past by grinding.

Yeah, it was pretty old school in that you had to be certain level/have certain gear to have a hope with some bosses, since there wasn't really a lot of strategy to battles other than busting out your best Arts and defending at the right time.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

hubris.height posted:

wa3 was one of the least impressive story wise but gameplay and characters and world it is the best and my favorite

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The best thing about Wild Arms is the opening cinematics.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

hubris.height posted:

Is wa3 normally long as gently caress? It seemed like it when my wife played through it, but she's also OCD as poo poo when it comes to game completion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's so long that it has 4 different opening movies depending on how far you get through the game, like a 50 episode anime.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

MockingQuantum posted:

Is wa3 normally long as gently caress? It seemed like it when my wife played through it, but she's also OCD as poo poo when it comes to game completion.

I thought it was long too. I've never finished it, actually. I got the airship/dragonthing and did some exploring and kind of gassed out. Not that it's a bad game but it didn't hold my interest all the way to the end.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh holy poo poo, I'm watching the Cosmic Star Heroine video and I will freely admit any game that uses words like "Gunmancy" has at least my :10bux: without hesitation.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

i'm gonna say that wild arms 2 is the best one, though, and owns a lot.

Agreed.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

MockingQuantum posted:

Yeah, it's pretty long and there are a ton of sidequests that make it even longer. Also, the best thing about the WA games is their soundtracks. Every one is really good especially WA3's which is one of the best of any RPG.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The writer and staff behind Wild Arms actually moved on to making an actual literal anime called Symphogear.
It is pretty dumb fanservice bullshit.

Alter Code F is a case of not really understanding what made the original work. It made a lot of character and mechanic changes which are for the worse and some of the new artwork is really bad. (Changing Lady Harken from a giant beefy terrifying valkyrie to a 14 year old girl is crappy.) In general it is just. visuals aside, kind of crappier in terms of pacing, dungeon design, and so-on. It has some good things. (Rudy using ARMS as his default weapon instead of a sword, some of the core combat is better designed) but mostly it's a step back.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's so minor compared to everything else but the thing that really gets me about Wild Arms 2 is the stupid font. I always remember it as being spooky Halloween font.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

mycot posted:

It's so minor compared to everything else but the thing that really gets me about Wild Arms 2 is the stupid font. I always remember it as being spooky Halloween font.

I always thought it was more of a "spooky haunted wild west town" font :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nate RFB posted:

I've been working through various PS2 RPGs for years, and for whatever reason I never considered Wild Arms 3. I might as well add it I guess, since the only one I had left was Front Mission 5.

WA3 is really enjoyable. It's campy, it's cute, and it's got the most ruins-raiding cowboy setup in the series (which isn't saying much, but still). And then it gets weird, but fortunately not Trapezohedron weird.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ahahahahaha oh my god i gotta start playing this again. ps4 please support psx discs sometime soon, tia

also, if you don't like the extended resistance line then you are a liar or terrible individual :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdmX8YVRzzM

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

hubris.height posted:

ahahahahaha oh my god i gotta start playing this again. ps4 please support psx discs sometime soon, tia

Most of the dialogue is fantastic, but Liz and Ard are the best. :swoon:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Liz and Ard are great. Everyone in that game is great, except the summoner kid.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

corn in the bible posted:

heres the instrumental opening of wa3 by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZiuQR1Hepc

Okay, if you're going to mention the opening theme, then you have to mention the credits theme.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Levantine posted:

:shrug: It's really hard to die in Legaia imo unless you're running from all the encounters or something.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

hubris.height posted:

also, if you don't like the extended resistance line then you are a liar or terrible individual :colbert:

It's not a matter of like or dislike, it's about the instrumental versions being way better, if just because it had the best trumpet soloing of the PSX era. :colbert:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tonfa posted:

:shrug: It's really hard to die in Legaia imo unless you're running from all the encounters or something.

I dunno man, I haven't played it since it was a new game but bosses pretty much required you to be in top form: best gear available and at least a certain stat threshold. That big plant boss in the ruins fairly early on was a nightmare til I ground out levels. I seem to recall most bosses being the same. Legaia 2, on the other hand, was more along the lines of what you're describing.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Levantine posted:

I dunno man, I haven't played it since it was a new game but bosses pretty much required you to be in top form: best gear available and at least a certain stat threshold. That big plant boss in the ruins fairly early on was a nightmare til I ground out levels. I seem to recall most bosses being the same. Legaia 2, on the other hand, was more along the lines of what you're describing.

I do remember just printing out a movelist 'cause gently caress the game dripfeeding you your combos, so I guess that's an advantage. The plant boss can be instakilled with one of your early summons :v: though he is a major list shitkicker, probably the hardest in the game along with the duel fights later on. Still if you keep yourself fully healed every time you take damage you shouldn't be dying. Most of the other bosses have a really obvious tell before they're using their big move.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
Playing Shining in the Darkness blind, making my own maps, but i am...stuck and i do not want to look it up. Completed the first two trials (Strength, Courage) and found the 'Orb of Truth'. I know that i have to use it somewhere North East in the Labyrinth, to reveal a hidden area behind a 'demonic wall. I checked walls on all Levels i have access to ( Entrance Level, Cave of Strength, Cave of Truth, with no luck.
Any more specific hints? Is the hidden wall on the first level? Should i keep looking for walls NE there?

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
I'm thinking of giving the Baldur's Gate series another try, because I'm bored and I've got nothing else to play right now. The thing is that I really can't stand the Vancian casting system. I tried the Tutu mod, because that lets me play as a sorcerer instead of a wizard. That made things a bit better, but I still ended up spending most of my time throwing rocks at people with a sling. That's boring. Even abusing the rest command doesn't really work, because most of the time I end up getting attacked during the rest (plus it screws with my immersions). Is there a good mod that changes the magic system to something more tolerable? Hopefully something that also preserves some semblance of balance?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nellistos posted:

Playing Shining in the Darkness blind, making my own maps, but i am...stuck and i do not want to look it up. Completed the first two trials (Strength, Courage) and found the 'Orb of Truth'. I know that i have to use it somewhere North East in the Labyrinth, to reveal a hidden area behind a 'demonic wall. I checked walls on all Levels i have access to ( Entrance Level, Cave of Strength, Cave of Truth, with no luck.
Any more specific hints? Is the hidden wall on the first level? Should i keep looking for walls NE there?

As you said, the Orb of Truth will reveal a demonic wall.

Vague spoilers: When you're facing the right place, the wall you need to use it on will glow. Use the Orb of Truth there. Face walls and you'll find it eventually.

More specific spoilers: It's on the first floor of the Labyrinth, not that far from the entrance. You'll have to fight a Grimwall. This will get you into the Cave of Truth (I assume it's Strength and Courage you've been to before). It has another use later, inside the Cave of Truth, but since you're playing blind, I'll leave it at that... good luck!

Prism fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 18, 2014

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
Every time Wild Arms comes up itt I end up listening to a bunch of the music rather than replaying them. I'm mostly OK with that, though they are really excellent JRPGs. There are two excellent arrange albums as well. I'm still sort of surprised those happened at all.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Prism posted:

As you said, the Orb of Truth will reveal a demonic wall.
Vague spoilers: When you're facing

Thank you very much! Revealed the vague spoiler.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Who were the composers on the Wild Arms series? Did they do any other work? Because the music really is head and shoulders above most other JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy.

Edit: Given that this is information that is easily Googled for, I did so and found out it was Michiko Naruke. It doesn't look like she's done any arrangements for other games I recognize except for Smash Brothers of all things.

Baby Babbeh fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 18, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baby Babbeh posted:

Who were the composers on the Wild Arms series? Did they do any other work? Because the music really is head and shoulders above most other JRPGs that aren't Final Fantasy.
Michiko Naruke, not really. She did a few arrangements for Smash Brothers Brawl and Smash 4, and some random japan exclusive DS RPG, but that's it.

EDIT: and a wizard of oz rpg

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Nellistos posted:

Thank you very much! Revealed the vague spoiler.

I'm just glad you didn't want me to list exactly where it is because it's been so long that the more detailed spoiler there was the best I could do.

Not really a spoiler, but I blocked it out just in case: IIRC the game lets you sell the Orb of Truth, like it does with pretty much anything. Don't.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Why has no one fan translated Wild Arms 2 yet? I'd love to go through that game with a coherent localization, systems wise it's my favorite wild arms after 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zaggitz posted:

Why has no one fan translated Wild Arms 2 yet? I'd love to go through that game with a coherent localization, systems wise it's my favorite wild arms after 3.

The Wild Arms franchise in general is not very popular. Even popular franchises have a really hard time getting fan translations done for games that already have a translation, even a lovely translation. (Note how there's no meaningful retranslation for FFVII, literally the most successful JRPG ever.)

In addition WA2 is a difficult translation job. The dialogue is full of bullshit technobabble and there's also an absurd amount of dialogue to translate in general. I don't even know how hard it is to actually insert the text. A lot of PSX-era JRPGs were a complete pain in the rear end to fan translate due to the way the text is encoded.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BloodWulfe posted:

Every time Wild Arms comes up itt I end up listening to a bunch of the music rather than replaying them. I'm mostly OK with that, though they are really excellent JRPGs. There are two excellent arrange albums as well. I'm still sort of surprised those happened at all.

Wild ARMs music is a little hit-or-miss with me. Like half of every soundtrack is really great, whether it's slower stuff like Alone in the World or A Person's Warmth, or battle theme poo poo, and then the other half is kind of... unlistenable :v:

ImpAtom posted:

I don't even know how hard it is to actually insert the text. A lot of PSX-era JRPGs were a complete pain in the rear end to fan translate due to the way the text is encoded.

Yeah, I was gonna say, the hacking community for PSX games is much more sparse. If I had to guess, a good amount of the reason for that is that ISO patches are generally bigger and you need weird CD utility programs, most of which are either discontinued or shady as gently caress, to apply them.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's also far less impetus to re-translate games when there's some real gems left untranslated entirely.