Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Shock and Awe

Hackett likely told him he had two options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't think Lochmann's sentiment was off base, but holy crap learn to pick your words.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

BigBoss posted:

I don't think Lochmann's sentiment was off base, but holy crap learn to pick your words.

Yeah I can see what he was trying to get at but he picked an incredibly dumb way to say it.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

BigBoss posted:

I think describing your relationship with athletes as "fleeting four year relationships" is not something you want to impress on prospective student-athletes. What a pompous prick.

e: it's also pretty conflicting with the way Brandon ran the whole Tom Harmon patch program.

e2: Fixing an important omission

Dattserberg fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 17, 2014

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alouicious posted:

michigan doesn't deserve addazio's dudes

He's been surprisingly okay as a head coach but at this point that's pretty much just hiring Brady Hoke again.

So yeah they should definitely do it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grantland: Dear Jim Harbaugh: Just Go to Michigan

Listen to this wise man, Jim.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Even if his name is dangerously close to Drew Sharp.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Grantland: Dear Jim Harbaugh: Just Go to Michigan

Listen to this wise man, Jim.

quote:

Harbaugh’s not well liked where he is. Staying in the NFL, with the Niners or another team, just means he’ll face the same pressure every year, along with a constant wave of new challenges that come with fighting to stay dominant in the parity era — juggling cap numbers with a front office every spring, and micromanaging adults who don’t want their lives micromanaged.

Yeah, because there's absolutely no pressure at a place like Michigan. Sure, dude's gonna be goddamn royalty at the start but at this point I don't picture the honeymoon lasting long, if he does indeed go.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

Yeah, because there's absolutely no pressure at a place like Michigan. Sure, dude's gonna be goddamn royalty at the start but at this point I don't picture the honeymoon lasting long, if he does indeed go.

His coaching style is much more suited to college ball than the pros. Professionals get tired of his rah-rah emotionalism and they make more than he does, so the GM sides with them.

What happened at San Francisco will happen to him everywhere. Great results for the first few years, then everyone will get tired of him and the team will collapse and Jim's looking for a new job.

College athletes turn over more frequently and being younger are more amenable to his approach. Hence he does not wear out his welcome. As long as the athletic director can deal with him, he's good.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

My sincerest hope is that Jim Harbaugh returns to Michigan and goes 3-9 next year.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
If the next coach Michigan brings in can develop talent, they will be extremely successful to start.

Michigan is loaded with talent that hasn't been developed yet.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Declan MacManus posted:

Nick Saban will not be the next coach at Alabama.

Saban didn't go to a bunch of conference championships and a Superbowl while coaching the Dolphins. Anything is possible, but having lost a Superbowl to his own brother I think Harbaugh keeps chasing the ring as long as owners will let him.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah Michigan with a good coach 2 years from now (or hell maybe next year) could be pretty drat great. I hate their football team and most of their fans but they're better than what they've put on the field the past few years. I was at MSU for the last years of J.L. Smith and the first few of Dantonio, and I'd honestly prefer the rivalry to have both teams equally good. It was fun beating UM the first few years since it was a pretty novel idea, but I'd love to beat them when both teams are good. Also, I'd like the B10 to not be a huge joke anymore, too.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LLCoolJD posted:

Saban didn't go to a bunch of conference championships and a Superbowl while coaching the Dolphins. Anything is possible, but having lost a Superbowl to his own brother I think Harbaugh keeps chasing the ring as long as owners will let him.

As much as I really want him to coach at Michigan, I feel like this is the biggest sticking point with Harbaugh and why he will still be in the NFL next year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dattserberg posted:

As much as I really want him to coach at Michigan, I feel like this is the biggest sticking point with Harbaugh and why he will still be in the NFL next year.

Well the reality is that even if he *is* the coach of Michigan, I don't think any of you should be under the delusion that's going to last very long. Particularly if say a choice job like, oh I don't know, the Cowboys, came open.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's atleast like 16 NFL teams that would be better off giving Harbaugh a chance so that means Michigan is atleast the 17th best choice he could make.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well the reality is that even if he *is* the coach of Michigan, I don't think any of you should be under the delusion that's going to last very long. Particularly if say a choice job like, oh I don't know, the Cowboys, came open.

lmao if you think jason garrett is ever getting fired

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

I don't, I was just using that kind of a job as an example. Garrett is basically perfect coach for Jones.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

Did you ever consider Jason Garrett dying from an errant Tony Romo pass?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

There are going to be a lot of openings, and Harbaugh has high enough stock right now to possibly have his pick of Oakland, Miami, Chicago, and NYJ. I don't think these are all terrible jobs. If he has any interest in coaching in the NFL, then I don't see why he doesn't try to gun for one of them — why would he keep jumping between the NFL and college? That doesn't make any sense to me.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Great White Hope posted:

Did you ever consider Jason Garrett dying from an errant Tony Romo pass?

tony romo is a good quarterback who does not throw very many of those though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MourningView posted:

tony romo is a good quarterback who does not throw very many of those though

It only takes one.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah Michigan with a good coach 2 years from now (or hell maybe next year) could be pretty drat great. I hate their football team and most of their fans but they're better than what they've put on the field the past few years. I was at MSU for the last years of J.L. Smith and the first few of Dantonio, and I'd honestly prefer the rivalry to have both teams equally good. It was fun beating UM the first few years since it was a pretty novel idea, but I'd love to beat them when both teams are good. Also, I'd like the B10 to not be a huge joke anymore, too.

I agree with this to some extent. As much as I would enjoy Michigan going 0-12 for eternity I'm really curious about what the rivalry could look like as a sincerely huge game for both teams every year. When's the last time they were both good? Hoke's first year was an anomaly.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Dattserberg posted:

I think describing your relationship with athletes as "fleeting four year relationships" is something you want to impress on prospective student-athletes. What a pompous prick.

e: it's also pretty conflicting with the way Brandon ran the whole Tom Harmon patch program.

If he had something like, "Michigan football is bigger than just one person. We're proud of all our people, past, present, and future. Our goal is to build a program that withstands the test of time. One that former players can look at with pride, and future players can look at with excitement," he would have been golden. The stuff about the M being infinite is just kinda ehhhh.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yesssss, Yesssss

The Mrs Harbaugh is looking for houses in Ann Arbor rumor started.

lol

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Phonepostin' so no copy/paste, but I'm just gonna leave this here: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/17/7408293/a-bored-high-school-student-explains-michigans-coaching-search

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

this is amazing

E:vvvv hahahaha

DJExile fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 17, 2014

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake
According to some rando news anchor in AZ, Michigan is offering Harbaugh 6/$49. So that would be a thing.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

He probably scooped that from this loving thread, hahahaha

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

He probably scooped that from this loving thread, hahahaha

Nah, it's been circulating for a few days. Not confirmed, still a rumor at this point.

Sam Webb had it at $48M/8yrs. We'll know when it's released, I guess.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Some rando out of Arizona isn't scooping anything on his own though, so he's probably reading the same crap we are.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

Some rando out of Arizona isn't scooping anything on his own though, so he's probably reading the same crap we are.

NFL network is going nuts over it now ($48M/6y), so obviously somebody decided it was time to press the issue. I hope this succeeds in getting negotiations with the 49ers moving.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Probably should have made it 49 for the symbolic value

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Thermos H Christ posted:

Probably should have made it 49 for the symbolic value
indeed

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Not really a revelation but per Adam Schefter, Harbaugh "is considering" the $49M:

quote:

Another person close to the process said that while it was possible Harbaugh could wind up at Michigan, "it was not likely."
(And yeah, 49, according to this; I wonder if that's different info or an easy Freudian slip.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Pft. Adam needs to check his sources, it is already a done deal.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pft. Adam needs to check his sources, it is already a done deal.

Apparently the NFL guys' sources have been Harbaugh's assistants, not Harbaugh himself - which is why none of them has a clue as to what has been going on. Most of the Michigan info has been coming from Jack Harbaugh.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm gonna go ahead and admit now that I will be jealous if Michigan successfully lands a massive splash hire by throwing all the moneys at him. I think Charlie Strong was the best coach for our particular situation who was legitimately on the market last year. I don't think he would have been on the market for most schools, and I applaud Steve Patterson for landing him (but basically nothing since then). I do think Art Briles was a real possibility, and I may still live to regret the day we let him slip through our fingers. Saban... I don't think Saban was ever seriously interested in us. I'm sure he heard us out, but even if there was some amount of money we could have thrown at him that would've eventually gotten him to relent, I don't think for a second he actually wanted to be here. I will also say that I wouldn't have expected the on-the-field product to be any better under Saban this year than it was under Strong, but I think recruiting would've immediately gone off the charts, which it hasn't.

If Michigan actually pulls this off... drat. I've still got my doubts of course, but it doesn't seem impossible. I suppose I have a soft spot for historical blueblood programs that are down and out. Except for ND because gently caress them always and forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
We need to find out how much money Dave Brandon has and make Harbaugh $1 richer at all times

• Locked thread