Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Thanks for that comprehensive reply. From what I understand when my ruler dies even though my personal demesne gets split up, everyone is still on my 'team', so to speak, because they respect the fact that their Jarl is a tier below my King title, right? So all I have to do to avoid being hosed with succession laws is keep my King title and not usurp any other ones? That doesn't sound so bad if I can grab the other kingdoms required for Russia in one leader's lifetime. If it goes as fast as the first one it'll be no trouble at all.

Is there a period of time to aim for for getting out of Tribalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

I think I've figured out why every ducal title is a theme, the emperor switched religions twice and inbetween that he imprisoned and revoked nearly all of the newly heretical dukes' titles but mine (I'm a catholic duke). I thought only a certain percentage of your vassal's titles can be viceroyalties? Is that penalty removed for the Byzantines because they're special?

I thought only feudal vassals care about viceroyalties. If EVERYONE is a viceroyalty, nobody cares.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Sharzak posted:

Thanks for that comprehensive reply. From what I understand when my ruler dies even though my personal demesne gets split up, everyone is still on my 'team', so to speak, because they respect the fact that their Jarl is a tier below my King title, right? So all I have to do to avoid being hosed with succession laws is keep my King title and not usurp any other ones? That doesn't sound so bad if I can grab the other kingdoms required for Russia in one leader's lifetime. If it goes as fast as the first one it'll be no trouble at all.

As long as you don't end up with two king titles it'll all work out yeah. Though not really getting to pick where your lands go can often mean that rear end in a top hat Ambitious Brother ends up with a nice chunk of prime land and immediately tries to get you killed because all you got was the Kingship title and one county in the Half Brothers Duchy. Not so good being king when you don't have all that many troops.

Only having one son is also a way around Gavelkinds problems, but a bit risky in the long run.

Fans fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 18, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Excelzior posted:

...but wait, if you DONT have Way of life installed you can go on it just fine without a focus, isn't that a downgrade? Or can you go on multiple pilgrimages with the Focus?

The pilgrimage option was simultaneously not that great but still too good to give out for free. The odds of dying were titanically low and it was basically purely "Spend very little gold, get free piety". Pilgrimages for Christians at the time were not quite that common or easy so it really should be reserved for Christians who are particularly devout, but it's not like getting it was a game changer that taking it away from everyone was game ending.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharzak posted:

The time it takes you to save up enough money to buy the hillforts/merchant cities. If you can loan money from jews and then expel them, it's much quicker. The more you've conquered, the harder the transition is, so you really want to do it ASAP. Once you switch, your tribal vassals will hate you, and every one of them can call up 2,500 soldiers on a whim, plus you won't be making poo poo for money, so you can't even upgrade their holdings to make them feudal for quite some time. Obviously, that issue is magnified when you have a poo poo ton of tribal vassals. You might already be screwed tbh. You could always just go with my plan and play a game where you don't care about the future and just stick with tribal until you slip into irrelevance, because it sucks playing tribal when your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd priority is to not be tribal anymore. As for your first question, hypothetically you're right. I haven't played feudal in a while, but previously, they would give you the king title, and a bunch of garbage. So you'd be much weaker than your vassals, and you'd face some pretty bullshit revolutions. I know they at least don't give away your capital duchy anymore, but gavelkind fucks you.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Fans posted:

Only having one son is also a way around Gavelkinds problems, but a bit risky in the long run.

If he dies you just need to cuck your way to success.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Volkerball posted:

The time it takes you to save up enough money to buy the hillforts/merchant cities. If you can loan money from jews and then expel them, it's much quicker.

Darn, CK2's attempt to be vaguely historically accurate even has mechanics to encourage you to be terrible to the Jews. It truly is the best utter bastard simulator.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Odobenidae posted:

Is there anything I can do about 90% of the ducal titles in the byzantine empire being viceroyalties? The only two inheritable/normal duke level titles are held by me and the emperor, and there's no way for me to usurp a duchy that I have full control over because it's a "theme" and the jackass emperor gives the title away to anyone but me whenever he gains it back.

Isn't that how things worked in the actual historical Byzantine empire?

I´m not an expert but I seem to recall that instead of a bunch of heridary nobles the empire was for the most administrated by appointed officials (who were of course all nobles).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Fans posted:

Darn, CK2's attempt to be vaguely historically accurate even has mechanics to encourage you to be terrible to the Jews. It truly is the best utter bastard simulator.
After a few decades you can say you're sorry and invite them back :shobon:

And then repeat the process :unsmigghh:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Aw man, I haven't played in months thanks to School, but I fully intend to re-embrace my inner CKII nerd over winter break.

How's the new sets of DLC? Last time I played, Charlemagne and Way of Life were not around. I'm gonna buy em because I love Paradox, but I'm curious as to what they bring to the table.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Annath posted:

Aw man, I haven't played in months thanks to School, but I fully intend to re-embrace my inner CKII nerd over winter break.

How's the new sets of DLC? Last time I played, Charlemagne and Way of Life were not around. I'm gonna buy em because I love Paradox, but I'm curious as to what they bring to the table.

Way of Life allows you to gently caress your sister on demand rather than by chance. You can also go to the pub with the Pope.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Volkerball posted:

The time it takes you to save up enough money to buy the hillforts/merchant cities. If you can loan money from jews and then expel them, it's much quicker. The more you've conquered, the harder the transition is, so you really want to do it ASAP. Once you switch, your tribal vassals will hate you, and every one of them can call up 2,500 soldiers on a whim, plus you won't be making poo poo for money, so you can't even upgrade their holdings to make them feudal for quite some time. Obviously, that issue is magnified when you have a poo poo ton of tribal vassals. You might already be screwed tbh. You could always just go with my plan and play a game where you don't care about the future and just stick with tribal until you slip into irrelevance, because it sucks playing tribal when your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd priority is to not be tribal anymore. As for your first question, hypothetically you're right. I haven't played feudal in a while, but previously, they would give you the king title, and a bunch of garbage. So you'd be much weaker than your vassals, and you'd face some pretty bullshit revolutions. I know they at least don't give away your capital duchy anymore, but gavelkind fucks you.

I didn't realize it was that bad. This is my first game in probably 18 months so I'm not too concerned if it all comes crashing about my ears.
The Jew mechanic sounds hilarious, where's that button? What are some other ways of earning cash quickly? The finances seem completely arbitrary aside from maintenance costs.
Edit: Oh wow I thought I was in good shape because everyone is still my vassal but my personal levy dropped from 1500 to 30! Does manpower need to recover over time or something? I still have 3 holdings in my demesne I can't imagine why it would have gone down so much.

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 18, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

There is a logic to the finances but it can seem that way to new players. It's a combination of population and what kind of holdings (Towns worth a lot, castles not so much).

To borrow from the Jews/Expel them you have to have the Sons of Abraham DLC and be a Christian (Maybe only a Catholic?). The option to do so is in your Intrigue menu.

Edit: How many troops you can get is based on a few factors but in short if you just had a war and a lot of people died? Then yeah you have to dismiss them and let it replenish up to the cap.

Vassals giving you troops is based on how much they like you and your laws. If your vassals don't like you they will be a lot more reluctant to hand over their peasants for you to send to the killing fields.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fans posted:

My current game is the most bastardish one I've ever played and I love it. I'm a viking merchant republic, and my family has over 40 trade posts littered all throughout England, France, and Spain. These same counties have also been in my raid rotation, so once every several years, I'll drop 20,000 men on the beach. They wave at my merchants on the dock who control the economy of the county. Hang out a bit, shoot the poo poo about what's going on in Uppland. Then they burn everything to the ground, kidnap everyone, ransom them immediately, and walk out with over 3,000 gold. The next day, my dock workers just go back to the trade business like nothing even happened. Naturally, this pisses people off quite a bit, and I constantly get events from the King of France threatening to burn down my trade posts. I tell him you know drat well you can't afford to do that. Then he fucks off. :v:

Sharzak posted:

I didn't realize it was that bad. This is my first game in probably 18 months so I'm not too concerned if it all comes crashing about my ears.
The Jew mechanic sounds hilarious, where's that button? What are some other ways of earning cash quickly? The finances seem completely arbitrary aside from maintenance costs.

It's an intrigue event. I think it depends on your religion whether you get the option or not. I know it's an option for Catholic characters in Ireland, but Germanic characters don't have it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

The pilgrimage option was simultaneously not that great but still too good to give out for free. The odds of dying were titanically low and it was basically purely "Spend very little gold, get free piety". Pilgrimages for Christians at the time were not quite that common or easy so it really should be reserved for Christians who are particularly devout, but it's not like getting it was a game changer that taking it away from everyone was game ending.

but it WASN'T taken from everyone; it was taken from everyone who bought Way of Life - until they set the proper focus for [reasons]. Is there a cooldown on setting your focus?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Excelzior posted:

but it WASN'T taken from everyone; it was taken from everyone who bought Way of Life - until they set the proper focus for [reasons]. Is there a cooldown on setting your focus?

Theres a few things like this though. Hunting events basically don't happen unless you pick the hunting focus, for example. It's a net gain overall honestly and it's not a huge loss to make it require a small hurdle to unlock it.

But yes there's a cooldown, 5 years.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sharzak posted:

Edit: Oh wow I thought I was in good shape because everyone is still my vassal but my personal levy dropped from 1500 to 30! Does manpower need to recover over time or something? I still have 3 holdings in my demesne I can't imagine why it would have gone down so much.

I believe you only get your levies from feudal holdings once you convert, of which you have probably 1. Yeah, it's hosed. Go to your realm tree and look at how much stronger your vassals are than you.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Make sure everything in your demense will convert, and it's nice to get the rest of your realm converted quickly too. The real bullshit is having to build cities and temples.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Isn't that how things worked in the actual historical Byzantine empire?

I´m not an expert but I seem to recall that instead of a bunch of heridary nobles the empire was for the most administrated by appointed officials (who were of course all nobles).

It's slightly more complicated than that. That's how it worked in the earlier stages of the Byzantine Empire (though an Emperor who did not do the courtesy of allowing a son to inherit his father's important position might be at more threat of rebellion and coups), but as time went on, particularly after the 4th Crusade, appointed officials decreased in power and a more feudal system of sorts began to take hold.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

Make sure everything in your demense will convert, and it's nice to get the rest of your realm converted quickly too. The real bullshit is having to build cities and temples.

It's super easy when you're a merchant republic. I've actually been curious about this. Has anyone managed to take Scandinavia or Rus or something primarily tribal and turn it into something that can compete with the big Catholic nations? I've spent so much goddamn money building holdings just to become relevant that I can't even see how it would be possible as a feudal leader. Even when you start to max them out a bit, a lot of the counties in Scandinavia don't have many holding slots. Uppland is the 2nd or 3rd richest county in the world right now, but beyond that, everything seems pretty mediocre. Lot of dark green in the economy view.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fans posted:

I got an event where a man claims a noble raped his daughter and you can choose to say she's lying about it.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ok gang, Dr. Schnabel has a dream: in a week or so I want to start as some West Slav pagan in the Charlemagne start and my goal by game's end would be to have a Christian empire in central and eastern Europe. However, I have no idea how to be a barbarian. Would I want to form Poland while still tribal, or do I want to go feudal before that? How about conversion? Before or after going feudal? Do I pretty much have to hope and pray someone sends a Christian preacher to my house before I convert, or could I realistically expedite that somehow?

Eventually, I'd like to convert this game to an EU4 campaign (and mod it a little to have my Commonwealth use the HRE mechanics, instead of those dudes to the west of me).

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Nobody Interesting posted:

Way of Life allows you to gently caress your sister on demand rather than by chance. You can also go to the pub with the Pope.

And get eaten by him if you get too drunk....

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Ok gang, Dr. Schnabel has a dream: in a week or so I want to start as some West Slav pagan in the Charlemagne start and my goal by game's end would be to have a Christian empire in central and eastern Europe. However, I have no idea how to be a barbarian. Would I want to form Poland while still tribal, or do I want to go feudal before that? How about conversion? Before or after going feudal? Do I pretty much have to hope and pray someone sends a Christian preacher to my house before I convert, or could I realistically expedite that somehow?

Eventually, I'd like to convert this game to an EU4 campaign (and mod it a little to have my Commonwealth use the HRE mechanics, instead of those dudes to the west of me).

Volkerball posted:

It's super easy when you're a merchant republic. I've actually been curious about this. Has anyone managed to take Scandinavia or Rus or something primarily tribal and turn it into something that can compete with the big Catholic nations? I've spent so much goddamn money building holdings just to become relevant that I can't even see how it would be possible as a feudal leader. Even when you start to max them out a bit, a lot of the counties in Scandinavia don't have many holding slots. Uppland is the 2nd or 3rd richest county in the world right now, but beyond that, everything seems pretty mediocre. Lot of dark green in the economy view.

I'm currently trying to turn (867) tribal Greater Poland into a feudal Christian Wendish Empire, will post trip report when done. I've amassed a fair amount of money from inheritances and banishing adventurers, we'll see how everyone reacts to the whole "we're Christian now" thing. It might be easier to reform the religion though.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Do I pretty much have to hope and pray someone sends a Christian preacher to my house before I convert, or could I realistically expedite that somehow?

I think if you want to convert to a non-pagan religion as a pagan, the best way to do it is raiding until you capture a Christian, concubine them, and then convert to spouse religion via decision.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Groogy posted:

And get eaten by him if you get too drunk....

Alright, I'll bite.

How?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It's slightly more complicated than that. That's how it worked in the earlier stages of the Byzantine Empire (though an Emperor who did not do the courtesy of allowing a son to inherit his father's important position might be at more threat of rebellion and coups), but as time went on, particularly after the 4th Crusade, appointed officials decreased in power and a more feudal system of sorts began to take hold.
I did sort of suspect that it might have been the sort of thing where technically it was an appointed office but it was expected that the previous holders son would inherit it in most cases. I took like one class on the crusades in university and I remember the teacher say that the way the Byzantines did things was simultaneously similar and very different from how it was done in the rest of Europe.

Things went a bit downhill for them after that whole 4th Crusade thing didn't it?

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I think if you want to convert to a non-pagan religion as a pagan, the best way to do it is raiding until you capture a Christian, concubine them, and then convert to spouse religion via decision.

This is how I created a Jewish Hungarian empire of Carpathia. Then it turned out that even if you have thousands of men at your disposal and a shitload of land it still isn't easy being a Jew in CK2.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

e:
This post didn't happen.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 18, 2014

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I've had a weird bug.

The next county over was run by a terrible, hated ruler with no sons and only one daughter. I married my heir to her, then had the old king assassinated. County passes over to me, everybody is happy except the dead rear end in a top hat.

Except, the old king expelled the Jews, and somehow my family has inherited this. I'm now playing as the son and there's a red scroll in his profile page. There are still Jewish courtiers hanging around being useful, but I've got the -2 diplomacy hit and I can't borrow from the moneylenders. Is there a way to rescind that expulsion?

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is how I created a Jewish Hungarian empire of Carpathia. Then it turned out that even if you have thousands of men at your disposal and a shitload of land it still isn't easy being a Jew in CK2.

How did that go wrong? Last time I used the flip to Jewish trick once I'd created a sizeable Russian kingdom as Rurik, everything after that was a piece of cake.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Groogy posted:

There's a fan appreciation thread on the CK2 forum that Waldetoft answered in, you could ask there and he maybe will answer when he gets out of his dungeon.

Speaking of Paradox music, someone please tell me that I'm not the only one who hopes that you guys do a metal DLC pack for CK2 like with EU4, since upon starting the game up after not playing it for a long time (and buying all the DLC during this time regardless of that fact, due to sales :suicide::steam:), I had a very pleasant surprise when I heard it! (Perhaps not the most authentic music for its period, but I for one found it to be quite good)

Alternatively/additionally, would it be possible to have the EU4 and CK2 soundtracks listed in the Steam ingame music player? I know it's not exactly essential, but it sure would make listening to the track/s of my choosing convenient, due to not having to alt+tab out.

EDIT: Oh also, what's up with all the rulers that died prior to Way of Life being released dropping off the resignation score screen?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Dec 18, 2014

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mostly bad luck. Bad inheritance* at the exact same time as a bunch of wars. Muslims and steppe dudes invading from the east and the Byzantines invading from the south and two religious rebellions as well. I mean I managed to crush the rebels but I lost a shitload of land and money. The biggest problem is that the Khazars had been wiped out so there were no other Jews nearby who could be allies and everyone in the area hated my guts. I could probably have managed to get most of it back had I just waited for the correct time to strike. But then some big patch came out and I gave up on the save.

*The usual. Smart oldest son dies just before his father and everything is inherited by his idiot younger brother that no one likes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Annath posted:

Alright, I'll bite.

How?

Presumably, the Pope is secretly a bear.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.
So if you pick the War focus what are the requirements for duelling someone? The tooltip says they have to be a rival or foe. I assumed foe was an enemy in a war but I was excluded from duelling as I was busy fighting a war so I assume it's not that.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Presumably, the Pope is secretly a bear.

Which is, of course, why he shits in the woods.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Way of life has made it so that basically every lord in Fancia is banging or trying to bang my wife/s. I played it slow becoming a powerful duke in France and then as soon as I became king of France, (that was a loving painful war btw. Francia is stupidly stable) everyone suddenly thought they should cuck the gently caress out me.

I have had 3 divorces now and one execution. Bitches be trippin

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

DeadLetterOfficer posted:

So if you pick the War focus what are the requirements for duelling someone? The tooltip says they have to be a rival or foe. I assumed foe was an enemy in a war but I was excluded from duelling as I was busy fighting a war so I assume it's not that.

Rival as in friend/rival, foe is a new status that's basically "duelling reasons" similar to imprison reasons - they need to have done one of a set of things to you (in vanilla it's: divorced you or a relative, attempted to kill you, your parent, child, spouse,. or sibling, successfully killed a close relative, cuckolded you (of course) or otherwise grievously offended you.)

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Rival as in friend/rival, foe is a new status that's basically "duelling reasons" similar to imprison reasons - they need to have done one of a set of things to you (in vanilla it's: divorced you or a relative, attempted to kill you, your parent, child, spouse,. or sibling, successfully killed a close relative, cuckolded you (of course) or otherwise grievously offended you.)

I did not realise cuckolding could get you killed. I have the wife of every single independent Christian ruler, including my sister, as my lover.

I've made a huge mistake.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Did you get the Stressed event for having too many lovers? I've gotten it every time I go above 4 lovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

Martello posted:

Which is, of course, why he shits in the woods.

Does he cuck in the woods?

• Locked thread