Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
300 million is not an unusual budget for a summer blockbuster with A list actors, tons of worldwide marketing and special effects.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

echronorian posted:

I'm not a technical person but I can't for the life of me understand how something like this even happens without anyone knowing who did it. That is intense.

Speaking of which are there any sites that are tracking the status of the investigation or is it all pretty hush hush?

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
http://www.tmz.com/2014/12/17/sony-hack-inside-job-north-korea-investigation/

Having it be "ex-employees with a grudge" seems fairly possible.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-carells-north-korea-comedy-758901

:monocle: You don't say!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Enderzero posted:

"The rich are just different from us." Noted. I was arguing that maybe the obsession with status isn't a productive thing and is not, in fact, a real problem.
Well yeah obviously but who cares

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

i hate to be all :tinfoil: but I can't help but feel that poo poo like this and the celebrity nude photo leaks are going to be used to justify cracking down on the Internet and making it a much more controlled environment like tv or radio.

And hey, the emails have already revealed the studios would be overjoyed with that kind of change.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bowser posted:

i hate to be all :tinfoil: but I can't help but feel that poo poo like this and the celebrity nude photo leaks are going to be used to justify cracking down on the Internet and making it a much more controlled environment like tv or radio.

And hey, the emails have already revealed the studios would be overjoyed with that kind of change.
The studios were the ones pushing things like SOPA a couple of years ago that would have done some of that. Although in that case it was more about changing our laws to favor copyrights over artistic expression.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
AP: US Official says federal investigators connect Sony hacking to NK.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

bowser posted:

They don't need to justify anything, the republicans are already trying to hand over the reins of the internet to THE FREE MARKET and the ISPs will block any poo poo their shareholders don't like and throttle your speeds on any sites that don't throw them barrels of cash. Net neutrality ending is more a matter of when than if at this point.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

AP: US Official says federal investigators connect Sony hacking to NK.
I've never understood why people think it wasn't them, when they had already made threats about 'war' over the film months ago. They've been planning this for awhile.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've never understood why people think it wasn't them, when they had already made threats about 'war' over the film months ago. They've been planning this for awhile.

North Korea threatens war when they don't get Froot Loops for breakfast. The line of thinking for most people (until about the past hour when at least someone investigating the hack said it seemed likely) was 1) Sony is releasing a movie about North Korea, 2) NK is crazy, ergo 3) North Korea totally did it. That's a line of reasoning that needs a few more steps to make it feasible.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

FlamingLiberal posted:

We have an understand of the DPRK as a backwards hell-hole where they can barely turn on the lights. The idea of them having a crack team of computer hackers who aren't hilariously inept does, admittedly, sound extremely far fetched.

modern villian
May 4, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I was holding out hope that a country wouldn't go out of their way to hack a movie studio, but I guess these are the times we live in. Plus the threat that was released seemed very much like something a mid-twenties rear end in a top hat from 4chan or Anonymous would say

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
North Korea actually tried to get Team America banned in the Czech Republic, but failed. They never commented publicly on the movie at all. I guess Kim Jong Un was just willing to take the fight public in a way that his father wasn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

We have an understand of the DPRK as a backwards hell-hole where they can barely turn on the lights. The idea of them having a crack team of computer hackers who aren't hilariously inept does, admittedly, sound extremely far fetched.
I don't even think this is the first time they've carried out a hacking operation. We also have no idea if they have any support when it comes to hackers from China, who regularly goes after companies.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Bitter ex employees sounds more reasonable, but why would Sony tell theaters to not show it after that 911 style threat unless the fbi is telling them something else?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

echronorian posted:

Bitter ex employees sounds more reasonable, but why would Sony tell theaters to not show it after that 911 style threat unless the fbi is telling them something else?

The theatres decided not to show it themselves, then Sony pulled the plug on the release since the top 5 theatre chains had all dropped out. The theatres probably know nothing about the threat's credibility but decided it's not worth the risk to their consciences/bottom lines.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Eggnogium posted:

The theatres decided not to show it themselves, then Sony pulled the plug on the release since the top 5 theatre chains had all dropped out. The theatres probably know nothing about the threat's credibility but decided it's not worth the risk to their consciences/bottom lines.
After the Aurora thing they're not taking chances.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

North Korea would typically brag about doing something like this, so the fact that they denied it outright was somewhat strange if they are involved.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Sony having leadership issues in a crisis isn't too surprising for some reason...

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

empty baggie posted:

North Korea would typically brag about doing something like this, so the fact that they denied it outright was somewhat strange if they are involved.

I think it's because the plausible deniability in this case is the only thing standing between the current situation and the "US punishing NK" situation.

Great Enoch
Mar 23, 2011

Not that much more than the idea that a supposedly cutting-edge consumer electronics and digital entertainment company run from Jetsons-land repeatedly can't wrap its head around the most basic of computer security.

Anyway, they haven't ruled out that the hack itself was out-sourced.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

After the Aurora thing they're not taking chances.

That might have influenced Carmike's decision but once they pulled out it was a done deal that the rest would. All the chains know about the threat and if only some pull out and there is an attack, that's an even bigger disaster for the ones that didn't.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jst0rm posted:

Kind of a funny view for a goon. I know cinedisco is "super serious place" but a lot of this place is a mad house. Imagine those goons every thought written here being attributed to their full name and being posted for all to see - irl friends, employers, academic peers, family. People say things they shouldnt because its edgy.

Like the Angelina Jolie thing. The exec had a valid point. Now how she said it was inflammatory but we are talking about 300 million dollars. Lets cut through the crap and get to the bottom of this.

Haha look at you! You're so precious :)

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
North Korea will be the new Scientology--major outlets are going to be terrified to publish anything negative about them in fear of retaliation.

How long until the movie leaks, or has it already? Surely screeners, etc, have already been sent out?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kim Jong Un's death scene was leaked. So hopefully the rest of the movie will be too.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Sony should just put it out digitally in some way. There is no way this doesn't leak now anyway.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
It's gonna turn out that Google approached North Korean to do the hack pro bono after sussing out Project Goliath, isn't it?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ultramiraculous posted:

The part where Kim Jong Ill actually gets murdered wasn't in the trailer, nor was his role in the movie really emphasized. It's not quite a fair comparison given that The Interview's entire premise is murdering Kim Jong Un.

Also, the real problem with Team America is that Parker and Stone were more interested in butchering Hollywood elites than saying anything about Kim Jong Il and the War On Terror.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
http://www.slashfilm.com/the-interview-pulled/

Update #3: Sony has now officially confirmed they have “no further release plans” for the film while American Intelligence has officially linked North Korea to the Sony hack.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wasn't planning on seeing it because I think Seth Rogen is fat, stupid, and unfunny. Now however I feel it's my patriotic duty.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

The REAL Goobusters posted:

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-interview-pulled/

Update #3: Sony has now officially confirmed they have “no further release plans” for the film while American Intelligence has officially linked North Korea to the Sony hack.

Sounds like poo poo just got real!

I'm thinking all this crazy stuff would make a great movie.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Young Freud posted:

Also, the real problem with Team America is that Parker and Stone were more interested in butchering Hollywood elites than saying anything about Kim Jong Il and the War On Terror.

Yeah, the real problem with that movie is that it didn't date itself by being about the politics of the early 2000s. :rolleyes:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

They built an atomic bomb, which puts them ahead of Iran and noted cyberwarriors Syria. Someone should do a movie about the kind of electronic warfare that is happening around the world today. I think it's interesting that we've moved into an era of cyberwarfare and laser weapons, but science fiction is still the same.

That movie would have a scene where the team of brilliant hackers haven't found a way around a site's firewall, so they send IT an email that says "Hi, this is the VP finance, I forgot my password" and it works.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Casimir Radon posted:

I wasn't planning on seeing it because I think Seth Rogen is fat, stupid, and unfunny. Now however I feel it's my patriotic duty.

This guy right here knows what's up. Come on Sony. Let me see this movie. Please let it "accidentally" leak.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can you imagine the studio and theaters pulling this film if it was some major blockbuster? Somehow the potential risks of a terrorist attack would have been justified, I imagine.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 207 days!

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, the real problem with that movie is that it didn't date itself by being about the politics of the early 2000s. :rolleyes:

As opposed to dating itself even more by being about killing celebrities from the early 2000s?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Len posted:

This guy right here knows what's up. Come on Sony. Let me see this movie. Please let it "accidentally" leak.

The assassination scene leaked at least. A really graphic, slow motion depiction of Un's clothes and hair burning up before he himself is completely blown apart as his helicopter is hit by bad CG shell.

And he looks nothing like Un.

Vegetable posted:

Can you imagine the studio and theaters pulling this film if it was some major blockbuster? Somehow the potential risks of a terrorist attack would have been justified, I imagine.

Star Wars. Nations will go to war to screen Star Wars.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Hodgepodge posted:

As opposed to dating itself even more by being about killing celebrities from the early 2000s?

Hollywood arrogance and American exceptionalism are timeless subjects even if the references are a tad dated. Also, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, George Clooney, Martin Sheen, Susan Sarandon, Matt Damon, Samuel L. Jackson and Danny Glover are still fairly relevant today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhnUgAaea4M

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Szmitten posted:

The assassination scene leaked at least. A really graphic, slow motion depiction of Un's clothes and hair burning up before he himself is completely blown apart as his helicopter is hit by bad CG shell.

And he looks nothing like Un.
Too tame. They should have done an Indira Gandhi on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I hope they do vod, it would kind of be exciting in a "future of distribution experiment" sort of way snd would give me and my friends s good excuse to get drunk while watching a first run movie.

• Locked thread