Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TooLShack posted:

Yeah it's LT, all the grease in the LT system has turned into paste. Currently cleaning it all out and relube it. Will need a new cart/stylus because the current stylus is shot for the Shure 15V-P and a replacement is over 200 bucks, so gently caress that.

Out of curiosity- how does that work? Do you need a LT-specific cart/stylus or would your average off-the-shelf cartridge be compatible? Are there any design/sound/longevity issues at play here?

I'm sure it depends on the actual mechanics and era of the table in question but I've always found LT tables to be pretty neat, even if they can be harder on your LPs in the long run (is that a general rule in your opinion or are there any exceptions?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
One of my friends that's been in the stereo game since before I was born said LTs are better since records are cut in a LT fashion, but that could just be audiophile nonsense. Only downside that I can tell from LTs is that they are a full auto set up with more electronics in them, so if it's not all working you are boned. Unlike a regular turntable if the auto functions stop working you can just use at as a manual table and just lift the cue up at the end.

As far as cart, it uses a P-mount cart so there are plenty out there I can use. I wanted to use the one that is on there but the stylus kind of rusted away it looks like, which a quick browse of AK shows they are known to do that.

Anyone know of a good P-mount cart that have used?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Linear trackers should be better at tracking in theory but suffer from the fact that it's almost impossible to implement well to any price point with the same low level of friction you'd find in a regular pivot tonearm.

Most of the cheaper versions of linear tracking used motors that slowly advanced the tonearm each time it sensed that it was trying to move forward. Of course by this time the stylus was already dragging laterally in the groove. A reproducer must account for all groove pitches including lead in and out grooves, therefore cannot simply run at a fixed speed.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Dec 8, 2014

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I used an Shure M92E on my SL22, seemed fine.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Is it common for a turntable to be louder in one channel than the other? Mine is louder in the left, to the point where it's kind of noticeable if you listen for it (and obvious watching the peakmeters). I just adjust the balance to compensate but I was wondering if there is some easy to fix thing that's common. The turntable is a Garrard dd75 with a brand new stylus and it switches sides when I reverse the L and R wires, so I know it's the turntable and not the receiver.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Is it common for a turntable to be louder in one channel than the other? Mine is louder in the left, to the point where it's kind of noticeable if you listen for it (and obvious watching the peakmeters). I just adjust the balance to compensate but I was wondering if there is some easy to fix thing that's common. The turntable is a Garrard dd75 with a brand new stylus and it switches sides when I reverse the L and R wires, so I know it's the turntable and not the receiver.

Does it have anti-skating adjustment?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Probably cartridge alignment. Look up cartridge alignment protractors, there are ones you can print out on vinylengine

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I feel stupid asking this, but I have no idea how to find out the answer. This cartridge came with my SL-1200 when I purchased it used several years ago, and I know it's an Audio Technica but have no idea what the model is. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is or how I can find out? I'm probably just going to replace it outright, but was wondering if it might be worth it to just replace the stylus and keep the cartridge.

Also, my uncle bought these Maggies new sometime in the 70's, and they never left his living room until he downsized his system and gave them to me about a year ago. I love them, but don't have the proper space to set them up correctly, so they're just sitting in a spare bedroom and I need to get rid of them. I don't want to give them away, but don't really know what an appropriate number to ask for them. Does anyone have any idea what they might be worth or what a fair asking price might be? Posting pics of the right speaker, but I have both plus the speaker wire adapters not pictured.

Front

Back

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The cart is an Audio Technica ATP-2. It's the cheap OEM cart that used to ship with the AT-LP120 before they offered the much better AT95E instead. I would just replace the whole thing.

Nice Magnepans, can't offer much advice on price sorry.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I had a feeling it was just the bottom of the line, but thanks for the quick reply. I had all but decided to replace it anyway but wanted to make sure I wasn't replacing it if it was a decent cart.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I'd say anywhere from $3-400 depending on condition for the Magnepans.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_from=R40%7CR40&_sacat=0&_nkw=magnepan+mg+1&_sop=16

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Well, that's some good news, although shipping these things will be a bitch and finding a local buyer in northeast TN is probably not going to be easy. Thanks for the response.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Just picked up a Pioneer SX-550 on eBay for £36, which was a pretty good deal I thought.

Any UK goons that can recommend me a place to pick up a cheap (but not poo poo) pair of speakers and turntable from? I'm looking at getting an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 off Amazon at the moment cos it does the trick, but I'm at a loss for speakers.

Budget is probably £100-150 for both (so £300ish total)

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Bozza posted:

Just picked up a Pioneer SX-550 on eBay for £36, which was a pretty good deal I thought.

Any UK goons that can recommend me a place to pick up a cheap (but not poo poo) pair of speakers and turntable from? I'm looking at getting an Audio-Technica AT-LP60 off Amazon at the moment cos it does the trick, but I'm at a loss for speakers.

Wharfedale speakers are a good value in the UK. Amazon.Co.uk has their Diamond 9.1 model for 99 pounds.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

Bozza posted:

I would look on your local Craigslist for some Bowers and Wilkins (B&W) speakers off your local craigslist (or equivalent). They're really nice sounding and they're popular enough that there are usually a bunch on the used market. You should be able to find some within your budget.

Chill Callahan fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 9, 2014

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bozza posted:

Craigslist.

The LP60 is pretty poo poo. It comes with an attached proprietary cartridge which can't be switched out for anything else on top of just being pretty bad. The quality of the rest of the turntable is what you'd expect. It's a lovely dead end and absolutely not worth your money if you have any interest at all in staying with this hobby.

Either move one step up to the LP120, which a lot of people consider to be the best new turntable in the sub-$300 price bracket, or pick up a secondhand one.

As for speakers, I'd absolutely recommend going the secondhand route as well.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

empty baggie posted:

Well, that's some good news, although shipping these things will be a bitch and finding a local buyer in northeast TN is probably not going to be easy. Thanks for the response.

I don't need them, but I'm from NE TN (went to ETSU and grew up in Johnson City and Jonesborough), but I'm now in Knoxville. So the fact someone reading this thread is from there should give you some hope.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Does it have anti-skating adjustment?
It does, but turning it to max or min doesn't change the balance at all. That's actually another problem with the turntable. For some records I have to adjust the anti-skate as it plays. Otherwise it jumps forward at the beginning grooves and backwards at the inner grooves (or maybe vice-versa).

Dogen posted:

Probably cartridge alignment. Look up cartridge alignment protractors, there are ones you can print out on vinylengine

I didn't know this was a thing, so I'll give it a try. I'm not sure I understand how to use the protractors though. Do I just look from the side and make sure the cart is parallel to the gridlines?

On another note, I purchased a counterweight from a parted out system on ebay this week. So I can finally replace my duct-taped nuts and washers with something nicer looking and adjustable. This thing is finally getting close to perfectly functional, and it's a very rewarding experience! Too bad I probably won't be able to do anything about the banged up plinth so it will never look very good, but I don't care too much about looks anyway.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Unless your cartridge alignment is visibly very screwed up, I don't think it would cause such drastic effects like what you're describing.

This might sound dumb but is your turntable level? Is the platter level?

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I don't need them, but I'm from NE TN (went to ETSU and grew up in Johnson City and Jonesborough), but I'm now in Knoxville. So the fact someone reading this thread is from there should give you some hope.

I grew up in Kingsport, went to college in Bristol but now live in Fall Branch/Jonesborough and work in JC. I'll probably never live outside of the tricities but at least I've changed it up a little.

If any of your Knoxville friends want to buy some vintage Magnepans, I'm willing to deliver!

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Ron Burgundy posted:

Linear trackers should be better at tracking in theory but suffer from the fact that it's almost impossible to implement well to any price point with the same low level of friction you'd find in a regular pivot tonearm.

Air bearings work wonders.

Also, some of the motor-driven linear trackers (like my SL-10) used optical systems to detect the movement of the arm, which, when properly adjusted resulted in sensing some *extremely* low lateral deflection angles... As in less than the range of cantelever movement on a normal (imperfectly centred) record.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Well yeah, I mean it's possible to do but what I was trying to suggest was that they are much more expensive than a conventional turntable and there probably isn't a justifiable increase in playback quality. The SL-10 is an amazing turntable, but it was like 6 times the cost of something like an SL-B100 and I wonder if it sounded $510 1983 US dollars better. They were a statement more than anything, and that statement was "look how much disposable income I have."

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Swapped some speakers around, took out some of the Yamaha stuff and added the new turntables and put my six tape changer in the mix.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Theoretically if a turntable is setup property when you raise the tonearm up and then back down on the record it should be in the exact same spot, correct?

I have a SL-1200mk2 and if I'm playing a record and then raise the tonearm and drop it back down it goes back a tiny bit each time.

I know my tone arm is setup and balanced correctly, and my anti-skate is the same weight as my counter-balance weight. I'm doing about 1.8g with ortofon 2m red.

I can see the black piece of plastic that pushes my tone arm up when I move the lever slides a very tiny bit when going up and then back down. Perhaps that is loose, any way to tightening it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Peacebone posted:

Theoretically if a turntable is setup property when you raise the tonearm up and then back down on the record it should be in the exact same spot, correct?

I have a SL-1200mk2 and if I'm playing a record and then raise the tonearm and drop it back down it goes back a tiny bit each time.

I know my tone arm is setup and balanced correctly, and my anti-skate is the same weight as my counter-balance weight. I'm doing about 1.8g with ortofon 2m red.

I can see the black piece of plastic that pushes my tone arm up when I move the lever slides a very tiny bit when going up and then back down. Perhaps that is loose, any way to tightening it?

Is it worth putting any effort in considering it's a completely unnecessary function?

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is it worth putting any effort in considering it's a completely unnecessary function?

haha I suppose so this is just nitpicking. I could have sworn I use to have it to where if I pulled up to pause a song it would go back when I made the lever go down.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just use the START/STOP button :unsmigghh:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This listing popped up on my local, usually-barren, craigslist:
http://grandisland.craigslist.org/ele/4811435101.html

He's asking $500 for it all, but I imagine I could get it for $400. Seems like a good deal (mostly for the Marantz) but that's still way more than I ever expected to pay for stereo gear. So tempting though :gonk:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

This listing popped up on my local, usually-barren, craigslist:
http://grandisland.craigslist.org/ele/4811435101.html

He's asking $500 for it all, but I imagine I could get it for $400. Seems like a good deal (mostly for the Marantz) but that's still way more than I ever expected to pay for stereo gear. So tempting though :gonk:

Bozak's are good speakers, too. $400 would be a decent price, and you could immediately list the 80's all in one for fifty bucks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Bozak's are good speakers, too. $400 would be a decent price, and you could immediately list the 80's all in one for fifty bucks.

Yeah, I talked myself into it overnight. Sounds like he has a couple other interested parties this morning so I think he might get closer to $500, but I'm holding my breath.

Jadius
May 12, 2001

FISSION MAILED!
This might be the wrong place to ask this, but do any of you know anything about speaker refinishing? I have a pair of thrift store acquired Realistic Optimus T-100 speakers (mine are in much better shape and much more squared) and while they sound okay-ish, just looking at them I see that they can be beautiful. I plan on eventually gutting them and putting in better drivers and crossover, but in the meantime I'm sitting here with too much free time, a can of walnut stain and a pair of walnut veneered speakers that could always look much prettier. Is there anything I need to know before I attack these things with some steel wool and stain? I'm terrified about the prospect of sanding through the veneer :(

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Don't sand through the veneer and don't stain them. It's as bout as easy as that.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Peacebone posted:

If it's that bothersome you could try replacing the tonearm lift, a new one from KABUSA is $8.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Noticed some crackling when listening to records with heavier bass so I moved the TT to a separate table but it persisted. Isolated the crackle to one speaker and re-seated the wire in the back (spring clamps) but no change. Popped off the covers and I noticed the speaker vibrates more "freely" than the other one. I ran my finger along the foam while it was playing and it immediately stopped but it crackles occasionally, is the speaker on its way out? They're realistic minimus 7w, if one is going bad I may just do the crossover mod when I swap them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Casually mentioned to my father in law how I really liked the idea of listening to some music on vinyl versus digital and he showed up with his old Realistic LAB-220 for me. It's in good condition but we couldn't play with it since I had to get a preamp (750 on order) for my receiver. Not having any albums I stopped at Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor and picked up a couple. I like such a wide range of music (jazz, rock, hip hop, folk...) I didn't know where to start. What have I got myself into.... I feel slightly hooked already and haven't even got the damned thing fired up yet!

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I think I almost enjoy the treasure of hunt of looking for records at thrift stores and flea markets more than actually listening to the records. Going to a dedicated record store is great if you are looking for newer stuff or a particular record, but finding a something you want underneath a dusty pile of Glen Campbell and Christian records and paying $1 for it is special rush of it's own.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok, need some help from the smart guys in this thread. I have the opportunity to pick up some some giant folded horn speakers from an auditorium. They could be JBL's or something or they could be no-names, I'm not sure. They're about 6' wide and maybe 3 or 4' tall. I can probably get them on the cheap. If I was stupid enough to put these things in my living room as a goof, could I realistically power them with a low wattage amp? I'd never need to pump the volume.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Home for Christmas so decided to look through my parents albums and, um, holy poo poo.

...should probably get this put somewhere other than our loft.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bozza posted:

Home for Christmas so decided to look through my parents albums and, um, holy poo poo.

...should probably get this put somewhere other than our loft.

That's worth a lot of money.

Edit: unless it's a bootleg or weird reprint.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Yeah Dad said he had a record he thought was worth a couple of hundred quid, so I googled it. It's not quite mint condition but it's probably worth over two grand.

E: no, it's the original 1969 pressing