Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eat poo poo Yuuma now do the needful and seppuku yourself in the dorms tonight.

Shame that Tatsuya came in before Saga could destroy the Build Burning, since that would have shut Sekai down for a while too.

Something I noticed because of the flashback - has Yuuma traded in his glasses to a set of frames shaped more like Gundam eyes sometime recently? In the flashback to his "sorry for not being your battle buddy Fumina" thing his frames were rounder, but in some of the close-ups this episode they were irregular hexagons. A quick survey of my Gunpla boxes nearby indicates that lot of Gundams' eyes are irregular pentagons, but there's also a fair bit of variation. If he did change, did anyone notice when it happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Broken Loose posted:

I'm actually pretty sure you can't see or hear anything that happens outside of your cockpit, which explains how communications blackouts can work.

Don't think anyone is doubting the insider's surprise. Its the spectators reacting that way is questionable since both Fumina and Sekai were standing next to Yuuma and should have seen him go up to the machine, yet they only reacted well after he started attacking.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Yosuke posted:

Don't think anyone is doubting the insider's surprise. Its the spectators reacting that way is questionable since both Fumina and Sekai were standing next to Yuuma and should have seen him go up to the machine, yet they only reacted well after he started attacking.

I think that's supposed to represent how transfixed the spectators are by the totally sweet moves that they lose all awareness of their surroundings. Petty theft must be HUGE in the bleachers at the Nationals and Worlds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

I'm actually pretty sure you can't see or hear anything that happens outside of your cockpit, which explains how communications blackouts can work.

Sekai and Fumina were not inside the cockpits when Yuuma ran over.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Sekai and Fumina were not inside the cockpits when Yuuma ran over.

They did cut to Yuuma seething/emoing out inside his destroyed cockpit while Sekai was getting brutalized.

DookieSandwich
Nov 14, 2012

Midjack posted:

I think that's supposed to represent how transfixed the spectators are by the totally sweet moves that they lose all awareness of their surroundings. Petty theft must be HUGE in the bleachers at the Nationals and Worlds.

The Japanese are a polite and honorable society

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

One thing I kinda like about Try is how the Try team is so completely outclassed by anybody who's actually a Worlds contender. Sei and Reiji were pretty much instantly BEST IN THE WORLD so it's nice to see the Try team presented as actual amateurs instead of "secretly the best ever with no training, they just hadn't actually applied themselves yet".

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

One thing I kinda like about Try is how the Try team is so completely outclassed by anybody who's actually a Worlds contender. Sei and Reiji were pretty much instantly BEST IN THE WORLD so it's nice to see the Try team presented as actual amateurs instead of secretly the best ever with no training they just hadn't actually applied themselves yet.

Amateurs who never lose when it matters. Ever.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Broken Loose posted:

Im pretty sure it works however the plot requires it to, people outside have definitely talked with people inside.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

nuru posted:

Amateurs who never lose when it matters. Ever.

Well, yes, they're still the protagonists and if they lost to the science team or whatever you'd be complaining about how they got to go to Nationals anyway through some shenanigans.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Try team has outclassed the bulk of their opponents though. They've never lost a single unit except against Shimon's dudes and in several fights they hilariously outclassed their opponents (the V Gundam MA fight.) They're never really behind or even evenly matched. Maybe the G-Master fight.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

That would be why I said outclassed by Worlds contenders like the guy that wrecked their entire team in this episode

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

KoB posted:

Im pretty sure it works however the plot requires it to, people outside have definitely talked with people inside.

Yeah, one of the best parts of the initial show (and of the regional finals) was how people would casually hold conversations with other people on the other side of the arena quietly muttering to themselves in the bleachers or whatever.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The Try team has outclassed the bulk of their opponents though. They've never lost a single unit except against Shimon's dudes and in several fights they hilariously outclassed their opponents (the V Gundam MA fight.) They're never really behind or even evenly matched. Maybe the G-Master fight.

They lost both the Lightening and the Winning in the G-master fight though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, one of the best parts of the initial show (and of the regional finals) was how people would casually hold conversations with other people on the other side of the arena quietly muttering to themselves in the bleachers or whatever.

I actually really loved everyone finishing each other's sentences like they weren't hundreds of feet away from each other. Ral was especially good at it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Swagger Dagger posted:

One thing I kinda like about Try is how the Try team is so completely outclassed by anybody who's actually a Worlds contender. Sei and Reiji were pretty much instantly BEST IN THE WORLD so it's nice to see the Try team presented as actual amateurs instead of "secretly the best ever with no training, they just hadn't actually applied themselves yet".

Reiji had a lot of potential right off the bat, but he spent a ridiculous amount of time playing against Fellini to develop it too.

Sei basically did the same thing by meeting and drawing inspiration from so many people.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Great episode, they are gonna get an upgrade of some kind before the tourney.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

DookieSandwich posted:

The Japanese are a polite and honorable society

Funny thing about that: picking or otehrwise nondestructively bypassing locks is more common among burglars in Japan than jimmying doors since it's considered more polite not to cause additional harm while stealing somebody's stuff. :japan:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Great episode, they are gonna get an upgrade of some kind before the tourney.

Not before the tourney unless they are insanely good about keeping it under wraps. We should be seeing toy sales by this point for any upgrades coming soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

Not before the tourney unless they are insanely good about keeping it under wraps. We should be seeing toy sales by this point for any upgrades coming soon.

I'd say under wraps, just because they could theoretically show them in the next episode (if it's the last part of their trip to the Labs, that is). It'd be in the right timeframe to start advertising February kits along with early looks at whatever the World Tournament teams have kit-wise.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Good images of team White Wolf's suits got posted at gundam guy:

I love the shoulders on the White Wolf. The green Zaku just looks like they slapped the shields off the Schuzrum Galluss on it so it's kinda boring.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 18, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I wonder if we're ever gonna see those guys fight or if they're just random jobbers.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wish we got to see more custom models like those. Even just small touches like those Schuzrum Galluss shields add some character to suits so every one isn't just using stock models except for the important characters.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I wonder if we're ever gonna see those guys fight or if they're just random jobbers.

I would like to see them again sometime, if only because two of the members being hilariously cocky is a step up from previous jobbers.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Silly zaku, trying to be a Schuzrum-Galluss.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
I thought that this episode was the weaker of the recent ones.

Saga's mobile suit looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, which would be insulting to a 5 year old. It's so overbearingly strong that there's really nothing of substance there to be impressed by. The encounter with the two random douchebags seems like the show was exhaustingly going through the motions of "underdog new team meeting veteran competitors to outline a difference in strength" sort of thing, and I suppose that is acceptable and predictable, given the tournament-style nature of the narrative. What the douchebag team had going for them were some sexy Zakus, which I really liked - and I wish more teams that weren't random episode fodder had a proper thematic approach like that.

The focus should be on strong teams with actual teamwork that demonstrates good synergy. That's the thematic presence of this show, and I think that the best (and probably only real) display of that has been the EZ-8SR trio. Every other fight seems to be a duel disguised as a team engagement, "Yeah I have team members but they are actually kind of poo poo, and I'm way better than everyone else, so let's have one mech which is clearly stronger and better handled than the rest".

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Your problem is that you're trying to rationalize super robot show logic into a toy show. The rules, weak as they were, just don't apply anymore. Sekai will jigenhaohryuu his rear end all the way to the final boss, which is exactly what happens in G Gundam. I know because I'm almost done watching it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Ka0 posted:

Your problem is that you're trying to rationalize super robot show logic into a toy show. The rules, weak as they were, just don't apply anymore. Sekai will jigenhaohryuu his rear end all the way to the final boss, which is exactly what happens in G Gundam. I know because I'm almost done watching it.

I think what he wants is for them to actually live up to the drat premise of team-battling.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jegan Ace posted:

Saga's mobile suit looks like it was designed by a 5 year old, which would be insulting to a 5 year old. It's so overbearingly strong that there's really nothing of substance there to be impressed by.

I must be 5 then, because even if it is overbearingly strong it's so goddamn ridiculous of a design that I can't help but love it. Cowboy master gundam with giant hands that have faces and also shoot self-propelled heavy slugs. The show needs more poo poo like that and God's Own Red Warrior.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd just like to point out this is the same series that had units like Sengoku Astray or Crossbone X Maoh.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
What annoys me about it is the drat cloak. It didn't move to reveal anything and made the whole model look like a blob.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

What annoys me about it is the drat cloak. It didn't move to reveal anything and made the whole model look like a blob.

That's so that you know poo poo is serious when the cloak comes off.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I don't really like Saga's suit because it's covered by a cloak so I can't see what's going on. I want to know what's going on with it besides Gundam Mouth Hand. I think it's dumb as gently caress, but dumb in a good crazy way.

Conversely I think the actual Red Warrior HG model they're coming out with looks boring as gently caress but it had the best entrance ever in this episode so I don't really care.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Pureauthor posted:

I think what he wants is for them to actually live up to the drat premise of team-battling.

At this point I would just be content with some convoluted combo move that just setup a Jigen Build Knuckle. At least it'd give us the illusion that the Try Fighters were working together instead of the 3 separate one on one thing we've been stuck with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm just glad that the first thing that defeated JIGEN HAOH RYU was an open palm.

Paper beats rock. :black101:

Also the only thing that really bugged me about it was how its movement was really shittily animated thanks to the cloak. Everything else was suitably ridiculous enough to make up for it though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Just wait, the upgrade to the Winning is going to be a pack that lets it transform its entire body into a full arm for Sekai or a full gun for Yuuma.

Teamwork! :downs:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I rewatched a bit of the episode and one thing really stood out to me:

Fumina spends literally her entire time from the moment she launches until she splits firing her gun. Not once do we see a single shot go anywhere near the EvilRobo, not even when it is standing still. What the hell is she firing at?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

I rewatched a bit of the episode and one thing really stood out to me:

Fumina spends literally her entire time from the moment she launches until she splits firing her gun. Not once do we see a single shot go anywhere near the EvilRobo, not even when it is standing still. What the hell is she firing at?

Wasn't she taking potshots at the Bits?

Jegan Ace posted:

The focus should be on strong teams with actual teamwork that demonstrates good synergy. That's the thematic presence of this show, and I think that the best (and probably only real) display of that has been the EZ-8SR trio. Every other fight seems to be a duel disguised as a team engagement, "Yeah I have team members but they are actually kind of poo poo, and I'm way better than everyone else, so let's have one mech which is clearly stronger and better handled than the rest".

Ka0 posted:

No, he's actually right. For a toy-driven show, having just one strong mech and two as cannon fodder is incredibly bad design, because you've wasted two slots you could stick more kits in. Hell, it's not like a lot of the ones we've already gotten have had more than one appearance. It's a wasted premise in that regard and they could've gone with the single-fighter bouts from the first series instead with little changed.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 18, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wasn't she taking potshots at the Bits?

Yes. They literally fly away Sekai and towards her and he tells her where they're coming from ("FROM ABOVE"). Like I understand having complaints but at least loving watch the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yes. They literally fly away Sekai and towards her and he tells her where they're coming from ("FROM ABOVE"). Like I understand having complaints but at least loving watch the show.

Nope. She's firing first offscreen when she launches and then still firing offscreen when all of Saga's Fangs combine into a single Fang and come at her from above. Sekai yells a warning at her and then she adjusts her aim to fire above her at the incoming Fangs.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I did watch the show. In this case, you're misremembering the fight.

Fumina first shows up after Sekai darts in. (Sekai-kun.. and Fumina?!) She is firing there. No Fangs are on the field. Her bullets go offscreen but we never see them go anywhere near Saga's Gundam.

Saga fires on Burning Gundam, Sekai Jigen Haohs him, Saga avoids it and then launches the Fangs. After Fumina was already shooting.

After that Sekai does his Tornado thing, which knocks the Fangs away and then recombine into a big Fang. That knocks Sekai away and then goes after Fumina from above. (Sekai yells "Hoshino, from above.")

Prior to that Fumina is still shooting offscreen. After Sekai yells she goes "I know" and then aims up and fires at the single combined Fang that is coming at her from above.

It only really stands out because it's a 2v1 battle so we really should be seeing Fumina's firing, even if it's just Saga effortlessly weaving around it. I mean the honest answer is probably just 'kind of lazy animation' and not anything more. v:shobon:v

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Dec 18, 2014

• Locked thread