Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do you get them in land forts? Just imagine 2000 debug infantry kitfox!

Nope, I made sure to check. :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

I found something interesting. Nation tier list & mini summary by TeamLiquid's KissBlade
http://pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh

Also a comparison of paths in all the Nations
http://i.imgur.com/i3Ppmq5.png

Neato i didnt realise liquid had a community, its nice to see the game being bigger than just 2-3 forums.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Only read the ea but that list is garbage

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

Nuclearmonkee posted:

You won losergame though.

I didn't win it, I just was the last person to tap out.

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Turin Turambar posted:

I found something interesting. Nation tier list & mini summary by TeamLiquid's KissBlade
http://pastebin.com/MNrJ3ZQh
As a summary resource, this is nice. As a tier list though, I have some issues with it. EA Vanheim at 'B' while Berytos is at 'S' just goes against everything we've observed about EA. He undervalues Pangaea as well, and a lot of this list looks influenced by Dom3 tiers and mechanics.

Here would be my take on Tiers (no order within individual tiers)

EA
S Tier: Mictlan, Pangaea, TNN, Vanheim
A Tier: Agartha, Fomoria, Helheim, Lanka, Sauromatia, T'ien Ch'i, Xibalba
B Tier: Arco, Atlantis, Berytos, Caelum, C'tis, Hinnom, Machaka, Niefelheim, Ulm, Ur, Yomi
C Tier: Abysia, Ermor, Marveni, Oceania, Pelagia, R'lyeh

MA
S Tier: Asphodel, Ermor, Mictlan, Pangaea
A Tier: C'tis, Eriu, Jotunheim, Sceleria, Ulm, Vanheim
B Tier: Agartha, Arco, Ashdod, Bandar Log, Caelum, Nazca, Pelagia, Pythium, T'ien Ch'i, Vanarus, Xibalba
C Tier: Abysia, Atlantis, Machaka, Man, Marignon, Oceania, Pelagia, R'lyeh, Shinuyama

LA
S Tier: Atlantis, Midgard, Ulm
A Tier: Caelum, C'tis, Mictlan, Xibalba
B Tier: Abysia, Agartha, Arco, Bogarus, Gath, Jomon, Lemuria, Man, Marignon, Ragha, R'lyeh, T'ien Ch'i, Utgard
C Tier: Pangaea, Patala, Pythium

In general, I think people overestimate giants because of how badly they crush new players and bad nations. Nazca still needs more time to sort out, I think... could easily see it moving.

I notice that other tier list said the word 'thug' a lot, when it really should not be something you base your assessment of nations on. Thugs are a fringe strategy now used to disarm traps or when you have a massive economy advantage over your opponents. The luck, resist, gem gen and forging changes from dom3 to dom4 really neutered them as a strategy you specifically build towards.

edit: It's also worth saying that the list above is for standard FFA games, and things change in a Disciples environment. Some nations are much better there (Helheim, Vanarus, Jomon, LA Marignon to name a few)

Have Some Flowers! fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 17, 2014

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I reckon Nazca is pretty good, the flying charge rules give their better units a gigantically powerful first strike, which is probably the most important one in any fight, and they have solid, cheap 3r mountain missile/fort-breaking recruitment as well as fort recruitment. Their more useful commanders also almost all get a second life where they're great at commanding undead, and summoning more too. Lose out on some of the better boosting slots with no hands, but it's not a total disaster, since the paths the nation wants to boost (notably Fire, kind of Air but oh look another A2 nation) are head- and misc-slot boosts anyway.

I think their unbelievably expensive cap-only mage is overpriced and unnecessary beyond having maybe one of them to guarantee access to Skulls of Fire and Crystal Matrices later on so your cheaper research mages have the ability to act as Flaming Arrows casters for your hordes of fort-breaking slingers, and your A1D2 Hurin Priests can cast Wailing Winds with a tiny communion, but their roster is overall pretty solid, and they can get so much pseudo-free slave/undead/cheapo mountain chaff that you're never going to be hurting for bodies to use.

I guess their non-Aclla mages are pricey for what they do, and they're sort of an Air nation which has serious problems casting Storm and gets a bit wrecked by Rain, but for an MA nation they have some strong paths and quite a lot of potential to go in a direction of their choosing - lot of them look that way but aren't, I think Nazca is an MA nation that genuinely can rely more heavily on living or dead troops, and relatedly either trash or improve their scales and do alright. Nice god selection, too.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
that is an insanely bad tier list

e: the teamliquid one, not hatwer's

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Samog posted:

Don't worry... half the reason I linked it here it was to promote debate and discussion :P.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I think the whole thing was made just to use the word Magocracy over and over again.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think the choice between Vanheim and Helheim's superiority depends a lot on the map. If you can sail a lot: Vanheim. If you want fliers: Helheim.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Just take Vanheim. You want A3/A4, no questions.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
ATTN: Gunnerkrigg avatar guy

please join the new newbie game, GunnerkriggAvatarGuy

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

How long does it normally take to get authenticated? I think I applied like two weeks ago or so, but there was some funny business on my end and i'm wondering if it worked or not.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Usually within 24 hours. Try signing up again, I probably didn't get the email.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Mu, your youtube LP videos you linked a few pages back are actually pretty drat fun to watch. It's both endearing and frustrating seeing you figure your way through your Patala game. I almost yelled at my laptop when you dismissed out of hand the adepts of pyrophelegion (or however you spell it) from your Throne of Fire as useless because holy poo poo you're a monkey nation you have unlimited cheap archers who can use flaming arrows arghhh!!

Very fun to watch, hope you keep uploading!

e: oh thank god, like 3 videos later you realize you have those mages and they can cast flaming arrows :doh:

How are u fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 18, 2014

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Fire magic more like dire tragic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Something I just thought about: Flaming Arrows affects all missiles, right? So theoretically, if you use that spell, all your melee troops scripted to throw javelins would throw javelins on fire, right?

Or is there something like an "archer"-tag preventing non-archers from getting flaming missiles?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

Something I just thought about : Flaming Arrows affects all missiles, right? So theoretically, if you use that spell, all your melee troops scripted to throw javelins would throw javelins on fire, right?

Or is there something like an "archer"-tag preventing non-archers from getting flaming missiles?
The way FA works is that certain missile weapons are flagged/not flagged for working with it (I can't say anything totally definite but the general principle appears to be stuff with a projectile that, as a primary attack, only hits one target, and isn't made of ice),

So even if you put say some slingers on Hold and Attack, at least for the first up to 2 rounds, they'll fire flaming sling shots before charging in.

Javelins can be FA'd.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

jBrereton posted:

The way FA works is that certain missile weapons are flagged/not flagged for working with it (I can't say anything totally definite but the general principle appears to be stuff with a projectile that, as a primary attack, only hits one target, and isn't made of ice),

So even if you put say some slingers on Hold and Attack, at least for the first up to 2 rounds, they'll fire flaming sling shots before charging in.

Javelins can be FA'd.

Sweet, this makes this idea I had workable. Now I just have to wait for more of my games to end before I enter another one.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

flaming arrows a k a The Only Good Fire Spell

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
firestorm and transmute fire are good.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

jBrereton posted:

So, can monkeys fling flaming poo, or not?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Just give the thing a try in a game that doesn't matter with Very Easy research or the Debug Mod and a pretender who can cast it I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every single projectile's flammability jesus christ.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Ashdod is A+ or S tier qtiyd

No other nation in MA can eat a neighbor or two totally unopposed in the early game and just sit on a massive production lead throughout the midgame the way Ashdod can, their MM is fantastic, and their high costs are easily offset by having certain matchups they get to win for free. If you start next to a competent Ashdod and they choose you to attack first, you aren't going to win the game unless you one of a very few select builds/nations.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
There are an awful lot of 'if you start next to a competent X and they attack you you won't win' nations.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

jBrereton posted:

Just give the thing a try in a game that doesn't matter with Very Easy research or the Debug Mod and a pretender who can cast it I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of every single projectile's flammability jesus christ.

Given how this thread usually goes it wouldn't be a surprise if somebody did.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Yessod posted:

So, can monkeys fling flaming poo, or not?

They can, it's a strategy that gets harped on a lot in some of the guides.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The sticks and stones ammo is not marked as flammable in the mod inspector.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't think I've ever been domkilled despite the fact that I roll with imprisoned dominion 5 pretenders constantly. Maybe I'm just poo poo enough that it never becomes an issue.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

goatface posted:

Boulders don't either as far as I can tell but they still catch on fire with a F9 bless.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

it's fuckin' magic

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I thought flaming weapons from bless were different to flaming projectiles from the spell?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Magil Zeal posted:

Boulders don't either as far as I can tell but they still catch on fire with a F9 bless.

Different effect. F9 adds an fire damage auto-effect to every weapon on the blessed unit. Flaming Arrows changes the weapon to a "Fire" version. If there is no "Fire" equivalent hardcoded, it does nothing. e: Or at least, Flaming Arrows worked this way in Dom3, but it may possibly work through a different system now. But it's still separate and different to the bless.

goatface posted:

I thought flaming weapons from bless were different to flaming projectiles from the spell?

Yes.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

brainwrinkle posted:

Usually within 24 hours. Try signing up again, I probably didn't get the email.

I tried to sign up again and it said that my username and email were already taken, but I can't log in. I reset my password but I still can't log in. If you're banning me from the cool kids club you at least gotta tell me :v:

Sloppy Milkshake fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 19, 2014

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheDemon posted:

Different effect. F9 adds an fire damage auto-effect to every weapon on the blessed unit. Flaming Arrows changes the weapon to a "Fire" version. If there is no "Fire" equivalent hardcoded, it does nothing. e: Or at least, Flaming Arrows worked this way in Dom3, but it may possibly work through a different system now. But it's still separate and different to the bless.

Nope, it's changed for dom4; Flaming Arrows now add a buff called 'Flaming Missiles' which functions exactly the same as the Fire bless except it only applies to slashing, bludgeoning or piercing ranged projectile attacks that aren't made of ice and it adds 8 AP fire damage.

Any ranged attack that meets those requirements will benefit from flaming arrows.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

goatface posted:

the flammable / ferrous weapon tags visible in the mod inspector are part of an unimplemented equipment material system and don't have any in game effect

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

That would be a buff to Aby if they could cause enemy weapons to burst into flame and fall apart.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
For EA, Berytos and Hinnom are pretty good, even for humans. Why is Ermor C tier though?
MA's Agartha and Arco is really good as well. MA Caelum is the best Caelum imho.
I would say for LA Agartha and Gath are at least A tier.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Samog posted:

e: the teamliquid one, not hatwer's

Tienchi : S tier
TNN: A-

Honestly what compels people to make this kind of overarching judgment when they clearly have no clue wtf they're talking about. MA Agartha is B+, along with Pan? haha okay

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheresNoThyme posted:

Honestly what compels people to make this kind of overarching judgment when they clearly have no clue wtf they're talking about. MA Agartha is B+, along with Pan? haha okay

They probably don't play anything like as aggressively as goons do; goons tend to be very aggressive players in most games, usually because being aggressive is the best way to win. But a lot of people (like the desura guys) never figure that out if they're not taught and so they end up playing these slow defensive games where no-one moves quickly to do anything.

Goons on the other hand take double-bless Vanheres and fly screaming out of nowhere on turn 7 to start beating you to death with their angry ponyman blenders.

• Locked thread