Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh my god I can't believe how good Guilty Gear Xrd looks. Pardon me for posting someone else's video of it, but I know you guys are super hype for it(though I can't remember if anime fighters are your thing or not). If this comes to Steam, I'm buying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCxyQsZ6Gzo&hd=1

I am hugely into creative animation techniques and this game has them in spades. The framerate effect on the 3D models perfectly replicates that of normal spritework, and then they fly into 3D attacks during supers. It's such an amazing combination, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For what it's worth I have thoroughly enjoyed the EW playthrough, more so than the RE4 one. But then I have no experience of or attachment to the RE games, or for that matter survival horror as a genre other than SH2. The honest reactions to the peaks and (many) troughs of the game are, to me, far more compelling than seeing someone play something they mastered and memories years ago.

Ditto for me; I was thinking between choosing this or RE4 on Steam, but being fresh off the RE4 playthru, the repetition of shooting zombies in the leg & then knife-slashing them was still on my mind. I'm going to buy it eventually, just after I've forgotten more of the game.

As an aside, I think I can see Mikami using Evil Within as an outlet if he ever wants to get back to survival horror as a B-side RE franchise, since I feel like RE capped any fresh ideas off at 5, and Capcom isn't going to exactly have the money to bring Mikami back (unless Sony funds it). Mikami said something about how he enjoyed working on the game later into the project, and I think the ending's made with enough leadoff for an RE2-style sequel whether Seb is even involved in the story or not.

Captain Invictus posted:

I am hugely into creative animation techniques and this game has them in spades. The framerate effect on the 3D models perfectly replicates that of normal spritework, and then they fly into 3D attacks during supers. It's such an amazing combination, I love it.

David Brothers put it best when he said it's "not that it looks so great but that it looks better than literally every cartoon I grew up on."

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Dec 18, 2014

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Watched the finale of the evil within, wow, what an unredeemable poo poo story, unforgivable.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea as someone who went through about the same moments of 'ok this may be ok...gently caress no this is stupid' it was cool seeing you guys on that ride too.

Sorry the game is such a huge slog though, christ they could have cut a third of it and it'd still almost be too clunky and cumbersome.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
At least the credits song is cool?

Man, it sorta makes sense, but that's a convoluted mess of an ending. It goes for the most confusing way to explain a quite simple premise, ugh.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
While some elements of the Evil within was legit spooky, it's essentially a hacked together mess that Didn't know what it wanted to be, it's as if someone tried to combine RE4 with Silent Hill with F.E.A.R. with Deep Space, with the lame rear end loving twist of EVIL PARAMILITARY IS ACTUALLY BEHIND ALL THIS TOO YO there was no way to tell what the gently caress was going on, NONE of the story threads and plot holes were covered or resolved satisfactorily, the bosses were essentially bullet sponges with middling creative design. Even the artsy symbolism parts were torn down by the absolute shitfest sections, it's like, some parts of the game are really super creative (sunflowers,etc.) but most of it is totally bland horseshit.

I swear, if I didn't know who had made this game I would've called the designers and directors a bunch of hacks who made a middling survival horror game, but SHINJI MIKAMI?! it's HEARTBREAKING that this is the type of game he's decided to put out, I'll still follow his next game, but it if doesn't make up for it then I think we've seen the limits of what he's creatively capable of.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 18, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Haha Pat and Matt reacting to the DLC poo poo is great.

"Tell me, Kid-Man!"

"No buy the DLC."

"I DID! I BOUGHT IT TWICE!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Kid man is my favorite joke from the The Evil Within playthrough just because they keep refusing to acknowledge that they're even saying it. I am getting a bit closer to being caught up on the series now and yeah the game does seem to be dragging its feet quite a bit. It's not mind bogglingly stupid or anything but I've heard great (:airquote:) things about the ending so we'll see.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Saying it as Kid Man was the only way I could remember she existed in the game because she did not have any personality and she was basically the Kendra from Dead Space; lady who is part of a deeper conspiracy type of deal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Compendium posted:

Saying it as Kid Man was the only way I could remember she existed in the game because she did not have any personality and she was basically the Kendra from Dead Space; lady who is part of a deeper conspiracy type of deal.

This is the big hole that I've found keeps me from really really liking the game. None of the characters are actually characters at all except for Sebastian, sort of. Most of Seb's characterization comes from the kind of character that he is (protagonist in an action-horror game with a will of steel). Basically everybody else has no real character and exists only to be someone ol Seb can bounce "What is going on??" questions off of every couple of hours of gameplay. It's sad, really.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

I swear, if I didn't know who had made this game I would've called the designers and directors a bunch of hacks who made a middling survival horror game, but SHINJI MIKAMI?! it's HEARTBREAKING that this is the type of game he's decided to put out, I'll still follow his next game, but it if doesn't make up for it then I think we've seen the limits of what he's creatively capable of.

Yea that was my big bummer too. Mikami fuckin knows good things, he doesn't always make great games but he understands the concepts of making horror, he's clearly a dude who knows his poo poo.

Hearing them talk about this being a space game at first and poo poo really made sense, because everything feels cobbled together and messy.

The worst part is the base elevator pitch of this is a really neat concept. "You're a detective who shows up to an asylum only to find yourself trapped in a madman's mind as you fight through the byproducts of his sick experimentation and personal trauma, all the while questioning what's real and what's your brain being corrupted." Boom, you got some fuckin Lovecraft poo poo there, you can do SO MUCH and instead all we got was bullet sponges, hallways covered in blood and bioslime, and a plot that you literally only get through loving collectible hunting.

I get what they wanted, they wanted to show that you don't always know the motives behind madmen and all unless you study them themselves, but you can make a loving plot. It'd be even better, even, make a plot, tell a story, but have these journals and recordings in there to create a thing where you get different perspectives on the hero and villain, it plays into the whole 'what's real' thing and it lets you give depth to your characters.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I can see myself being alone here but I really like how much of the Def Jam NY videos have been just about customizing R*GE and his lore.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I can see myself being alone here but I really like how much of the Def Jam NY videos have been just about customizing R*GE and his lore.

Naw, it can make for a great LP, because it adds another character to the LP crew. Plus it can carry over to other LPs with character creation.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

beep by grandpa posted:

The deep lore and worldbuilding was always the main reason to follow SBFP, why would it be different in this specific instance?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I wonder if Rage will ever get cool title text like all the chumps he's been beating

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Improbable Lobster posted:

I wonder if Rage will ever get cool title text like all the chumps he's been beating

Like Platinum boss titles?

RAGE
Mountain of a man lost in time.

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.

Next-Jin Engine posted:

Naw, it can make for a great LP, because it adds another character to the LP crew. Plus it can carry over to other LPs with character creation.

IT HAS ALREADY.

Some videos coming up directly after Christmas where we had two create-a-character suites in different games and made Rage.

Really glad some of you are enjoying Def Jam. I'm having fun playing that one. We have about 8 parts uploaded, and we only have one more recording session to go. So the LP is gonna be 12 parts max.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

We gonna get any multiplayer action in the Def Jam LP at the end with an intense Zubaz v. R*GE match?

Please let my dreams come true.

Grand Cross
Dec 10, 2014
Wow, that Evil Withing ending was abysmal. Just terrible.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh the video went up. Yeah that ending kinda sucks. "poo poo we need to explain absolutely everything right at the end uhh uhhh nope never mind lol sorry".

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Oh man, this is gonna be great.
Count another fan of the Def Jam LP, RAGE is both terrifying in his fury and assuaging in his resolve. Everyone needs to be yelling for a re-release of this classic because it's so easy to forget how awesome it is. One of the best memories I have with video games is just straight murdering Ludacris by snapping his neck at my friend's house.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Chrispurple posted:

Count another fan of the Def Jam LP, RAGE is both terrifying in his fury and assuaging in his resolve. Everyone needs to be yelling for a re-release of this classic because it's so easy to forget how awesome it is. One of the best memories I have with video games is just straight murdering Ludacris by snapping his neck at my friend's house.

I have to wonder how much of a cluster gently caress the music and likeness rights would be. I imagine that they'd either be pretty straight forward or impossible with no in-between.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

just overlay this over all instances of RAGE in all video games

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Matt are you guys gonna do a scrublords or whatever for dragonball xenoverse when it comes out because we definitely need to see saiyan rage

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

I have to wonder how much of a cluster gently caress the music and likeness rights would be. I imagine that they'd either be pretty straight forward or impossible with no in-between.

Oh man I didn't even think about that, but it's a really good point. I doubt anyone would go to all the trouble for DJNY even if it is super fun.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How the gently caress do you have a super long game that ends up being nothing, did Mikami play Xenosaga I and went "THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO GO FOR"

edit:

Also, Pat got himself another Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvD1B5fyOWE

Tae fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 18, 2014

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Oh, hey, playing Persona Q and Aigis points out that Teddy looks like a "bear or a monkey". I think whoever translated this game is at least a passing fan of the Zaibatsu.

Might wanna tell Pat this so he opens his loving copy of a pretty drat good game, goddammit! (Ok, yeah, Pat says he hates EO, but the game is far more Persona than EO.)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Oh the video went up. Yeah that ending kinda sucks. "poo poo we need to explain absolutely everything right at the end uhh uhhh nope never mind lol sorry".

Ruvik bad man, came up with way to go into peoples brains using science. People get stuck in mind space and Ruvik could basically shape their surroundings and ultimately them by taking over their consciousness. The scientific result of this was barbed wire.

Bad government men from the government came and chopped Ruvik up to turn his brain into the controller for a shared consciousness theme park. This was a really good idea. They think Ruvik is dead but oh no he is actually in control! People go into the STEM machine but then DIE!!!!!!!!!! For some reason you get kidnapped and put in the machine along with a kid called Leslie who is the only person who can take Ruviks AWESOME MIND and not die. Ruvik possesses Leslie and escapes. Really good plan by weird government shadow agency who didn't want Ruvik to escape but plugged Leslie into the machine in the first place.

So then, a land of contrasts and we westerners not understanding the ways of the Japense storyman.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That is both more concise and more coherent than the game could manage. Thank you Space Pingu.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

How the gently caress do you have a super long game that ends up being nothing, did Mikami play Xenosaga I and went "THIS IS WHAT I WANT TO GO FOR"

edit:

Also, Pat got himself another Montage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvD1B5fyOWE

Pat's actually below-average in terms of apologies/day for a Canadian.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

pulp rag posted:

Oh, hey, playing Persona Q and Aigis points out that Teddy looks like a "bear or a monkey". I think whoever translated this game is at least a passing fan of the Zaibatsu.

It's how Chie described Teddie in the beginning of Persona 4, so I think you might have your reference backwards.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

It's how Chie described Teddie in the beginning of Persona 4, so I think you might have your reference backwards.

Dammit. All I remember is Matt calling him a bunkey.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Persona Q is a okay game that's way to easy to break to the point someone who hates EO games could still get through it with almost literally no trouble.

That being said watched TEW 's finale. looked up the ending a couple days ago and figured "there's still some game left" so boy did that feel rushed. Glad the SH2 lines were drawn with the double safemin though as I was laughing to my friend about it beforehand while we watched. "This has to represent his fear of banks. I get it now."

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So I just finished the last TEW video and...I didn't hate it. I mean, I know it wasn't good and that the game has a ton of flaws, but I really liked that section with dodging the eye and the cliff hanger ending with Leslie just makes me look forward to the Kidman DLC in the hopes that it explains things a little more.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's a thin line between "ambiguous" and "not bothering to actually explain anything" and TEW's ending does a backflip over it

I'd probably be way more okay with it if it didn't imply Ruvik actually super speed knife murdered all those cops somehow

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Maybe the Umbrella Corp or whoever Kidman was with killed all the people in the asylum.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

straight jerkers posted:

Maybe the Umbrella Corp or whoever Kidman was with killed all the people in the asylum.

Mobius, judging from that coat in the almost-reality-accurate asylum.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

How long was Sebastian in the brain world anyways? How did it take the swat team so long to show up?

Chrispurple
Dec 29, 2012

Rhonne posted:

How long was Sebastian in the brain world anyways? How did it take the swat team so long to show up?

It's possible that Seabass wasn't actually in dream land that long if you look at it in mind time. It could have taken longer to actually hook everyone up to the machine than it took to escape from Ruvik's head in real world time. Then again, that also implies that not-jar-brain Ruvik/Leslie might have been doing crazy psycho break nonsense like Blockhouse said or that it was kid man's men who tore everyone apart. Either way I'm sure the DLC is going to provide a very satisfying and clear answer to all of our questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For what it's worth I have thoroughly enjoyed the EW playthrough, more so than the RE4 one. But then I have no experience of or attachment to the RE games, or for that matter survival horror as a genre other than SH2. The honest reactions to the peaks and (many) troughs of the game are, to me, far more compelling than seeing someone play something they mastered and memories years ago.

I think it's just that there's more to laugh at and complain about in Evil Within. RE4 is so good that most of the talking tends toward stuff like technical aspects of the game instead of things like characters named Seabass.