Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Broken Machine posted:

Icann't believe they've done this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lBO23Dh23I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Luigi Thirty posted:

the hackers won

the interview's release has been cancelled after emails threatened to blow up specific theaters and no major chain would show it

when they predicted a cyber-9/11 they never could have forseen this

ip is the new wtc

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Broken Machine posted:

Icann't believe they've done this.

Also, I was just reading your interesting post in response to the Canadian teen who got swatted, and the relative difficulty of spoofing the ANI in order to hide yourself. What I'm left wondering though is wouldn't they have been able to trace his location using the e911 provisions alone, even absent the ANI or caller ID? He didn't call 911 but he did call the main law enforcement telecom center for the area so they'd have that capability.

Even with a spoofed caller ID and ANI they could have still gotten his location unless he'd gone to extraordinary measures, especially if he'd used a cell phone that wasn't stolen. A few years ago while on a walk down a somewhat remote scenic path here, I happened upon a cyclist who had fallen and had a concussion, phoned 911 and they wanted to find my location. I had a GPS with me, but the operator didn't understand degrees minutes seconds, so she said something about pinging my phone, I heard a series of audible tones (not unlike the interference you might hear through your speakers if you have a cellular phone on GSM), and they had my location within a few hundred feet in about 30 seconds. I haven't kept up on where they're at with VoIP --> PSTN compliance with e911, but I'd think they're pretty close to solving that as well if they haven't yet.

well i have some ideas to how he got caught but it's likely that he outed himself:

quote:

The investigation revealed the call came from Canada — from a teen trying to get revenge on a Florida girl he'd met online, said Judd.

They had "an online dating relationship, at least in his mind." The teen wanted more, she rejected him, and he retaliated, said Judd.

Prior to the calls, he told the Florida girl he was going to "swat" her school over email — details she only revealed to police later.

"When we found out it was somebody from Canada we were like, 'Why would somebody from Canada frighten a school in little ol' Fort Meade?' I mean, we only have one red light here in the whole town," said Cartwright.

the guy was quite the shitlord. i'd like to know what his name is but even if i did i could not really post it here without worrying about legal issues (look up the "youth criminal justice act"). i'd wager the guy probably has an encyclopedia dramatica article

if one wanted to hide themselves from getting caught, they'd have to find a payphone (and those are rare these days) that they know isn't really monitored via cctv or within reach of another person, find a pbx with an ivr that can be exploited to dial outbound, and then maybe they could hide themselves that way. if that isn't an option, you could try to get a voip account on some sketchy service but sip isn't reliable if you're trying to masquerade yourself via tor. anonymous phone calls are not easily doable and require a lot of planning and knowledge of the current phone system

at one point when amps (analogue mobile phones) was still a thing, you could use a cell phone that was un-activated to make 911 calls anonymously. i cannot recall if anything that was identifiable about the phone was sent with the outbound call but you would only be traceable to the nearest cell phone tower assuming that nothing other than the connection was made

i am not very knowledgeable at how e911 location services work however.

Lain Iwakura fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 18, 2014

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
so how many horsemen of the infosec apocalypse is that now, three? after heartbleed and poodle, I mean

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

infernal machines posted:

depending on how the circuit is wired and what the driver supports, yes.

so assume yes unless you know otherwise

do it like the pros, like the government spyware creator gamma international's ceo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qntm posted:

so how many horsemen of the infosec apocalypse is that now, three? after heartbleed and poodle, I mean

u forgot shellshock

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
sony really sucks at keeping their stuff secure. i bet 4chan pretending to be terrorists just did some sql injection or something

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

OSI bean dip posted:

well i have some ideas to how he got caught but it's likely that he outed himself:

the guy was quite the shitlord. i'd like to know what his name is but even if i did i could not really post it here without worrying about legal issues (look up the "youth criminal justice act"). i'd wager the guy probably has an encyclopedia dramatica article

if one wanted to hide themselves from getting caught, they'd have to find a payphone (and those are rare these days) that they know isn't really monitored via cctv or within reach of another person, find a pbx with an ivr that can be exploited to dial outbound, and then maybe they could hide themselves that way. if that isn't an option, you could try to get a voip account on some sketchy service but sip isn't reliable if you're trying to masquerade yourself via tor. anonymous phone calls are not easily doable and require a lot of planning and knowledge of the current phone system

at one point when amps (analogue mobile phones) was still a thing, you could use a cell phone that was un-activated to make 911 calls anonymously. i cannot recall if anything that was identifiable about the phone was sent with the outbound call but you would only be traceable to the nearest cell phone tower assuming that nothing other than the connection was made

i am not very knowledgeable at how e911 location services work however.

I think non active phones can still call 911.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

from the buttcoin thread

[–]TheAmericommies 1 point 21 minutes ago

If they have an American bank account: changetip. Changetip? YES, changetip! You didn't even know you could buy Bitcoins on changetip. Oh but you can, if you have an American bank account. You just enter your online banking password and it instabuys like $5 at a time. The fees are high because they cap your buys and you have to keep withdrawing over and over again, but it's way faster and less invasive than Coinbase or Circle. As for the online banking password thing, reset it afterwards and you'll be fine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FCKGW posted:

from the buttcoin thread

If they have an American bank account: changetip. Changetip? YES, changetip! You didn't even know you could buy Bitcoins on changetip. Oh but you can, if you have an American bank account. You just enter your online banking password and it instabuys like $5 at a time. The fees are high because they cap your buys and you have to keep withdrawing over and over again, but it's way faster and less invasive than Coinbase or Circle. As for the online banking password thing, reset it afterwards and you'll be fine.

:psypop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

my experimentation involving a 3-year-old and a blackberry without a SIM card supports your hypothesis

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FCKGW posted:

from the buttcoin thread

:magical:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

yeah all phones that are capable of powering on and support a network technology on a nearby cell tower can call 911, its federal law

so at this point the only things that can't do it is old iDEN phone sin most of the country and analog phones anywhere

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
iirc e911 doesn't immediately send your location to the responder, theres a delay? maybe they can force it.

it might just automatically send it if you've got a smartphone. I'm not really up to date on cell phone poo poo any more. I remember back during the transition the stuff I read mentioned a delay, though

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah all phones that are capable of powering on and support a network technology on a nearby cell tower can call 911, its federal law

so at this point the only things that can't do it is old iDEN phone sin most of the country and analog phones anywhere

even without a SIM card you're still traceable though, you need to be to make the call and some unique information about the handset must pass through

also in some other countries you need to be registrable onto a network enough to make a real call to be able to make an emergency call because all telcos are hitler

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

qntm posted:

someone will leak the various master keys for FIPS

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

sony really sucks at keeping their stuff secure. i bet 4chan pretending to be terrorists just did some sql injection or something

they still do a better job at it than Microsoft and Nintendo on their consoles. Maybe that's unfair though, as that's not an especially high bar to clear

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Broken Machine posted:

they still do a better job at it than Microsoft and Nintendo on their consoles. Maybe that's unfair though, as that's not an especially high bar to clear

Sony reused the random nonce for ECDSA.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Broken Machine posted:

I don't remember Microsoft or Nintendo getting their console networks hacked

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Shaggar posted:

I don't remember Microsoft or Nintendo getting their console networks hacked

ok but if you look at the monetary damage from piracy, and difficulty/ time in hacking a console wide open Sony is head and shoulders above the others.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Broken Machine posted:

ok but if you look at the monetary damage from piracy, and difficulty/ time in hacking a console wide open Sony is head and shoulders above the others.

lol what the gently caress? no they aren't.

playstation was wide open. playstation 2 was wide open. psp had the worst piracy this side of the dreamcast and the nintendo ds. playstation 3 was really weak and sony just lucked into nobody wanting to release the exploits for a while

and psn repeatedly gets owned.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.

Nintendo Kid posted:

lol what the gently caress? no they aren't.

playstation was wide open. playstation 2 was wide open. psp had the worst piracy this side of the dreamcast and the nintendo ds. playstation 3 was really weak and sony just lucked into nobody wanting to release the exploits for a while

and psn repeatedly gets owned.

ps3 had that hosed up ecdsa but all i had to do to my xbox 360 was pop out the dvd drive and put a new firmware on it. i "hacked" my original xbox by bridging two vias on the motherboard with pencil lead and putting a hacked mechwarrior save on my memory stick. wii was basically open season. i don't think any of them are really differentiable in terms of difficulty to hack.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

i've actually never talked to a single person who owned a playstation 1 when they were younger who didn't have it chipped though

fakeedit: yeah also psp was broken so far open, not knowledgable about ps2 or 3 or vita tho

vvv sorry 4 ur loss

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jewel posted:

i've actually never talked to a single person who owned a playstation 1 when they were younger who didn't have it chipped though

it's me, lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jewel posted:

fakeedit: yeah also psp was broken so far open, not knowledgable about ps2 or 3 or vita tho

you didn't need to chip many of the older ps1s, the parallel port and serial port connectors on them let you just plug poo poo in the back that let you play pirate/import games.

Remicks posted:

ps3 had that hosed up ecdsa but all i had to do to my xbox 360 was pop out the dvd drive and put a new firmware on it. i "hacked" my original xbox by bridging two vias on the motherboard with pencil lead and putting a hacked mechwarrior save on my memory stick. wii was basically open season. i don't think any of them are really differentiable in terms of difficulty to hack.

put a new firmware on it and then eventually got kicked off live, probably.

sony couldn't do jackshit once the ps3 break was put out in the open, other than release new consoles basically.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

put yourself in the shoes of a prosecutor trying to build a case against you. what evidence could they pin on you? there is nothing on your laptop for them to use, if you obscure your bitcoins propperly, there is no way for them to trace them back to me.
i remember burning cds with a bunch of dreamcast games. only one that sticks out now was the dc version of half-life which sucked because they used the controller facebuttons as mouselook

"gd-rom" my rear end

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Remicks posted:

if you have a ps3 with up to date firmware it is much more difficult to downgrade and install custom firmware. It's still much harder than the competitors.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Broken Machine posted:

if you have a ps3 with up to date firmware it is much more difficult to downgrade and install custom firmware. It's still much harder than the competitors.

well yeah those pussies banned geohot from ever using a playstation again

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
am i the only person who is both technically savvy and also does not give a flying gently caress about "hacking" my consoles or phones or things?

if the poo poo works it works, why would i want to escape from a very carefully controlled ecosystem that has dozens or hundreds of people employed such to maintain this perfectly working *thing*

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the original xbox was the only console worth hacking cause it was the first legit htpc and made a great mame box. but then computers got really small so there was no point.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

put a new firmware on it and then eventually got kicked off live, probably.

sony couldn't do jackshit once the ps3 break was put out in the open, other than release new consoles basically.

yeah, i remember with the original xbox the mod thing turned into an arms race of sorts where when the new xbox live-enabled triple a game came out it would ban the latest generation of mod chips. then someone would come out with a new and improved mod chip etc etc. pretty early on someone released a chip that had dip switches so you could disable it for xbox live play and that seemed to work for most people.

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Sniep posted:

am i the only person who is both technically savvy and also does not give a flying gently caress about "hacking" my consoles or phones or things?

if the poo poo works it works, why would i want to escape from a very carefully controlled ecosystem that has dozens or hundreds of people employed such to maintain this perfectly working *thing*

it is enticing if u are literally a childe

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

assuming this is a region code thing so nerds can play japanese games

NES / famicom had the best protection from this :getin:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

free games is pretty cool man

Remicks posted:

i remember burning cds with a bunch of dreamcast games. only one that sticks out now was the dc version of half-life which sucked because they used the controller facebuttons as mouselook

"gd-rom" my rear end

ur supposed to play half life and quake 3 arena for dreamcast with the dreamcast mouse and keyboard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nintendo Kid posted:

ur supposed to play half life and quake 3 arena for dreamcast with the dreamcast mouse and keyboard

ur supposed to play half life and quake 3 arena for computers, dipshit

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
lol if you didn't hack the poo poo out of your consoles &c fifteen years ago

lol if you do so now

Rick Ross Ulbricht
Feb 3, 2010

Tayter Swift posted:

lol if you didn't hack the poo poo out of your consoles &c fifteen years ago

lol if you do so now

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
lol if you play video games

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah i guess there are always thiefs out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ur supposed to play half life and quake 3 arena for computers, dipshit

actually no, half life for dreamcast and quake 3 arena for dreamcast were very fun, especially playing q3a against
1) pc users who assumed dreamcast = controlle ruser
2) dreamcast users who were controller users

• Locked thread