Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Grundulum posted:

The local police may have to assign fault to one driver because that's what the forms require. It may not seem to be Turtlicious' fault, but it certainly isn't the fault of the driver who had a car jump a median and hit them. I'd guess that's an issue that gets taken up between Turtlicious' insurance company and whoever maintained/sold the car, since the defect was known but not repaired.

Yes. It seemed like Turtilicious was assigning moral blame to himself, rather than the stricter legal concept of fault. He's going to face hassle and expense for being the active party in an accident, which may meet the definition of "fault" as you say, but he shouldn't blame himself as well IMO.

Thank you for being much clearer about this than I was! I appreciate the correction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I just inherited a huge box of crap from a dead relative. While going through it, I found a little piece of jewelry with what looks like a small diamond and silver chain. What kind of place should I take this to in order to sell it? I have no idea what it's worth or could be worth, is there some kind of shop that will give an honest assessment? Google is just confusing me more, help me goons!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

As a road going member of the public you are obligated to ensure your vehicle is in safe operating condition. An uncompleted recall from 11 years ago doesn't have any weight for a product liability standpoint (which some of you are suggesting) vs. a car that just blows its airbags driving down the street, causing an accident when you're disoriented.

As the consumer its your duty to check on recalls and otherwise ensure the vehicle is maintained. A dealer or private party selling the car has no obligation to complete these things.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

the black husserl posted:

I just inherited a huge box of crap from a dead relative. While going through it, I found a little piece of jewelry with what looks like a small diamond and silver chain. What kind of place should I take this to in order to sell it? I have no idea what it's worth or could be worth, is there some kind of shop that will give an honest assessment? Google is just confusing me more, help me goons!

Try asking this thread. I think the OP has some good advice in it too.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Organza Quiz posted:

Try asking this thread. I think the OP has some good advice in it too.

Whoops, didn't see that thread. It has eveything I need, thanks!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some dreadful smell is coming off my Electrolux electric oven when I use it, any day what causes it? The smell started yesterday, I've had this oven for quite a while.

The weirdest thing is that it smells like gas to me, which doesn't make sense right?

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Kurtofan posted:

Some dreadful smell is coming off my Electrolux electric oven when I use it, any day what causes it? The smell started yesterday, I've had this oven for quite a while.

The weirdest thing is that it smells like gas to me, which doesn't make sense right?

When was the last time you cleaned it?
What did you use to clean it?
What have you been cooking?
Do you have small children?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
My current family practice doctor is pretty solidly booked up. I usually don't see her for 6 months or more for check-ups. With some of my health issues, I'm starting to feel like this is a problem. I'd like to find a better doctor but not really sure where to start. Are there any reputable sites for reviews or is it going to be just a try every doctor situation?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Irritated Goat posted:

My current family practice doctor is pretty solidly booked up. I usually don't see her for 6 months or more for check-ups. With some of my health issues, I'm starting to feel like this is a problem. I'd like to find a better doctor but not really sure where to start. Are there any reputable sites for reviews or is it going to be just a try every doctor situation?

Go to your insurance provider's website; most insurance sites that I've seen have an in-network doctor lookup that you can search for based on distance from where you live, gender, focus of study, whether they're accepting new patients currently, etc. Pick out some of the more convenient ones and google them to see what local reviewers have to say. This way you'll know whoever you pick will be in your insurance network and helps you narrow it down (if you're like me and get overwhelmed by too many choices).

Edit: these may also help: http://www.webmd.com/health-insurance/insurance-basics/using-doctor-ratings-sites

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
is there a place in the forums with tips for tent buying? Or maybe camping in general. I need a tent for one person for a hot, rainy climate.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
There has to be an app that will restore all chrome windows and their positions/pages but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone know of something like that?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

There has to be an app that will restore all chrome windows and their positions/pages but I can't seem to find it.

Anyone know of something like that?

Chrome itself should do this if you go to Settings:On Startup and select "Continue where you left off"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is a gift card for a "date night," for my girlfriend's mom and dad a good idea? I live with her and her family, and I don't know if it would be weird or not.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

program666 posted:

is there a place in the forums with tips for tent buying? Or maybe camping in general. I need a tent for one person for a hot, rainy climate.

The Hiking and Backpacking Thread is probably a god start.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Turtlicious posted:

Is a gift card for a "date night," for my girlfriend's mom and dad a good idea? I live with her and her family, and I don't know if it would be weird or not.

Is the gift card for a restaurant/movie combo? Is it for an overnight stay in a nice hotel? Dance Lessons?

Either way, I'd say it's a nice idea. Most everyone needs a night out with their SO every now and again, and if someone else is footing (part of) the bill, it can help motivate people to go have fun.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CzarChasm posted:

Is the gift card for a restaurant/movie combo? Is it for an overnight stay in a nice hotel? Dance Lessons?

Either way, I'd say it's a nice idea. Most everyone needs a night out with their SO every now and again, and if someone else is footing (part of) the bill, it can help motivate people to go have fun.

A $75 visa gift card, which should cover a semi-nice restaraunt and a movie.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Turtlicious posted:

I have pictures of the car as well. Though I find out my Medi-Cal was de-activated even though I was supposed to be covered until I was 26.

Your car insurance should pay your medical bills, not your health insurance, assuming you have the proper coverage.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have liability, so my car insurance only covers their car / medical.

I'm working on getting on Medi-Cal again and fixing whatever broke.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Penguissimo posted:

Chrome itself should do this if you go to Settings:On Startup and select "Continue where you left off"

That only does it for one browser window though. I have like 5-6 different pages on 3 monitors. I know when my system or chrome crashes it does the oops and 'restore' thing that works perfect I just can't seem to figure out how to mimic that.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

A $75 visa gift card, which should cover a semi-nice restaraunt and a movie.

I'd specify that it's for a date night, or be a gift card to a specific place. Other wise one of them might just spend it on online poker or something.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

When was the last time you cleaned it?
What did you use to clean it?
What have you been cooking?
Do you have small children?

I usually just wipe off the dirt inside the oven, no special cleaning product. Hadn't done it in awhile till you reminded me.

I was just heating up some cold pizza.

No.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'd ask your gf, she'd know her own parents better than scrubs online. You can know what other people's presents will be for christmas, imho.

Capt. Morgan
Feb 23, 2006

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

That only does it for one browser window though. I have like 5-6 different pages on 3 monitors. I know when my system or chrome crashes it does the oops and 'restore' thing that works perfect I just can't seem to figure out how to mimic that.

It works fine for me...make sure your using the the drop down menu to exit chrome and not closing each window separately.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I got a letter today from the Iowa Department of Revenue saying I owe them money because I didn't report the refund I got in 2012 as part of my 2012 income. Line 27 on the Iowa 1040. I looked back and no, I didn't, so I guess they are right. This was done with TaxSlayer, and in previous years I have also used OLT and TurboTax and that line was not filled in on any of those years. So obviously these tax websites aren't asking for that info when they go through everything, I mean, I'm not stupid, I would have put that in if I had been asked.

So, couple questions. What are the odds Iowa comes calling for the money due on that same error in previous years? And is there anything I can do with TaxSlayer about this? I'm almost certain that they never asked for this info so it was never put on the form. It's not a lot of money but it's annoying. Do any of you happen to have an old state 1040 done with an online service? Is that line filled in with the tax return you received from the previous year?

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 18, 2014

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

OctoberBlues posted:

I got a letter today from the Iowa Department of Revenue saying I owe them money because I didn't report the refund I got in 2012 as part of my 2012 income. Line 27 on the Iowa 1040.

I have nothing useful to add, but just want to clarify. Are they pinging you for this now because you were overtaxed in 2011, and were issued with a refund of this overpaid tax in the following tax year which the IRS says they didn't know about?

e: I'm not from your country, so if this is some weird inter-agency thing I guess I get that.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 18, 2014

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

mirthdefect posted:

I have nothing useful to add, but just want to clarify. Are they pinging you for this now because you were overtaxed in 2011, and were issued with a refund of this overpaid tax in the following tax year which the IRS says they didn't know about?

Yeah, I got a federal refund in 2012 based on being overtaxed in 2011. The state of Iowa says I didn't report that as income in the year 2012. Which is true, I didn't.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah, I got a federal refund in 2012 based on being overtaxed in 2011. The state of Iowa says I didn't report that as income in the year 2012. Which is true, I didn't.

Right. We only have a nation-wide tax agency here (NZ), and any refunds aren't counted as income because it's returning money they took rather than money they're giving you. I still think it's weird, but at least it's not as pants-on-head moronic as I first thought.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OctoberBlues posted:

So, couple questions. What are the odds Iowa comes calling for the money due on that same error in previous years?
Hard to say. It probably isn't likely but it's better to get that out of the way now than have them surprise you with it later. Talk to someone at the revenue department and ask if it's possible you owed for refunds in previous years and if so how you can pay.

OctoberBlues posted:

Do any of you happen to have an old state 1040 done with an online service? Is that line filled in with the tax return you received from the previous year?
Move to Florida. The weather is beautiful and we don't have income tax.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

OctoberBlues posted:

I got a letter today from the Iowa Department of Revenue saying I owe them money because I didn't report the refund I got in 2012 as part of my 2012 income. Line 27 on the Iowa 1040. I looked back and no, I didn't, so I guess they are right. This was done with TaxSlayer, and in previous years I have also used OLT and TurboTax and that line was not filled in on any of those years. So obviously these tax websites aren't asking for that info when they go through everything, I mean, I'm not stupid, I would have put that in if I had been asked.

So, couple questions. What are the odds Iowa comes calling for the money due on that same error in previous years? And is there anything I can do with TaxSlayer about this? I'm almost certain that they never asked for this info so it was never put on the form. It's not a lot of money but it's annoying. Do any of you happen to have an old state 1040 done with an online service? Is that line filled in with the tax return you received from the previous year?

Check with the software you used; they may have an accuracy guarantee you can cash in.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Hard to say. It probably isn't likely but it's better to get that out of the way now than have them surprise you with it later. Talk to someone at the revenue department and ask if it's possible you owed for refunds in previous years and if so how you can pay.

I'm inclined to just not say anything. If they figure it out, they figure it out, but it's not a ton of money so I don't think they are going to spend time researching my past tax filings to see if I made the same mistake in other years. Or are there some horrible consequences I'm not considering?

Also, it looks like I can't get anything from TaxSlayer since I used their free product.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Capt. Morgan posted:

It works fine for me...make sure your using the the drop down menu to exit chrome and not closing each window separately.

YAY! Thank you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

OctoberBlues posted:

I'm inclined to just not say anything. If they figure it out, they figure it out, but it's not a ton of money so I don't think they are going to spend time researching my past tax filings to see if I made the same mistake in other years. Or are there some horrible consequences I'm not considering?

Also, it looks like I can't get anything from TaxSlayer since I used their free product.
Murphy's Law of Government Procedure applies in this case and almost guarantees that they will discover you owe them money the same day you get laid off and your dog gets sick and a tree falls on your roof.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
This came up in conversation tonight, and I wasn't able to suss out an answer from Google. Were turkeys ever able to fly more than they do now? The question is about whether they had the ability and lost it, or if they were never able to do it. How did the evolution go? Any ideas?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

erobadapazzi posted:

This came up in conversation tonight, and I wasn't able to suss out an answer from Google. Were turkeys ever able to fly more than they do now? The question is about whether they had the ability and lost it, or if they were never able to do it. How did the evolution go? Any ideas?

Wild turkeys are able to fly easily for a quarter mile, and prefer to fly under the tree canopy in their forest homes. They can get up to hundreds of feet in altitude if they need to (usually for getting up in the higher levels of taller forests for safety). And most of their limitations are because they're big beefy birds, any earlier less beefy ancestors could have flown farther and higher easily

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

And most of their limitations are because they're big beefy birds

Actually they aren't. If you cut one open it turns out they are actually made of turkey all the way through.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

There's a tax thread somewhere on the forums with some tax professionals posting on it. Maybe in BFC?

Aha: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394641

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I got some blisters on my foot from playing football last saturday. They have healed up some, like they aren't painful to the touch anymore. If i'm playing again this saturday, will taping over them with athletic tape help or just make it worse?

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
If you have to, pad them with something soft and don't put the adhesive directly on the. They're unpleasant but that skin you wore off will eventually grow back as nice thick calluses that will prevent further blisters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

YAY! Thank you.

If you forget, you can also recover old windows with the "Recent Tabs" menu, or Ctrl+Shift+T.