Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I don't get the Brain hate. If figure out how often it launches and keep a count in your head you can time it so you can fire it off a different direction if enemies are too close. It makes a good damage boost early on, you just have to be careful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
So I'm trying to do the Meat Boy/Bandage girl achievements.

I have epic fetus, I have the D6, I have... placenta

This current run has been going for 3 1/2hrs so far.

This is going really, really, slowly :suicide:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Nothin' like losing a Brimstone/Holy Mantle run because you drew Red Mom and her inconsistent loving stomps. PS4 version doesn't have a quick restart feature, either, so Lost runs are even more fun! They claimed it was because they ran out of buttons, but I don't see anything mapped to L3/R3 so :iiam:

Migishu posted:

Godspeed. I haven't hit the right combination of items to go for them myself. Getting those and finding Godhead are all that's keeping me from RPG.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ChibiSoma posted:

Nothin' like losing a Brimstone/Holy Mantle run because you drew Red Mom and her inconsistent loving stomps. PS4 version doesn't have a quick restart feature, either, so Lost runs are even more fun! They claimed it was because they ran out of buttons, but I don't see anything mapped to L3/R3 so :iiam:

Godspeed. I haven't hit the right combination of items to go for them myself. Getting those and finding Godhead are all that's keeping me from RPG.

Putting reset and primary movement / firing so close to each other strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I had an Eden Run where I started with Soy Milk, so I was forced to roll with that. Then I found Death's Touch in a Devil Room. Yeah, Soy Milk would be a much better item if it didn't knockback your enemies as much. If you don't have any knockback on your tears, Soy Milk is so much more usable. Although that might just turn it into a poor man's Technology 2.

a bloody icon
Apr 22, 2012

Northernlion is so absent-minded re: the mechanics of the game that it's easy to forget how good his raw play can be. :stare:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Bee posted:

Putting reset and primary movement / firing so close to each other strikes me as a recipe for disaster.

Well you have to hold the reset button down for it to work so I don't see how this would be a problem.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Internet Kraken posted:

Well you have to hold the reset button down for it to work so I don't see how this would be a problem.

You also have to remember they targeted Vita which doesn't have L3/R3. That logic doesn't really hold, though, because they axed the gamma settings from the Vita version that the PS4 has. So who knows.

I do wish they put it in the key binding screen bound to nothing for the people that want to put it on something. On the Vita, for instance, I've rebound some stuff to the D-Pad for easier access. Hitting the cards/pills was way too finicky on the touch screen so I bound it to select, and then bound the drop button to Up on the D-Pad.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I kind of forgot the drop button exists. It didn't seem to work and I just chalked it up to a bug in the Vita version.

Speaking of which—with the update, does the Vita version now have the "can't bomb into rooms from secret rooms" bug too?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think it's a PC only bug, I was able to do it on my Vita just 5mins ago (running 1.03)

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Rollersnake posted:

Speaking of which—with the update, does the Vita version now have the "can't bomb into rooms from secret rooms" bug too?

Is this the "can't bomb into SPECIAL rooms from the secret room" thing people described earlier? (ie: can't bomb into the shop anymore, treasure rooms, etc)

Or are you describing a "can't bomb into ANY rooms from the secret room"? (meaning you have to leave the way you came in)

Because the first one isn't a bug.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Hahaha, oh my God, that was pure poetic justice.

I set out to finally clear Boss Rush with Maggie. I was having the best run, ready to screenshot and everything. Could've cleared Mom with 8 minutes to spare. On Depths II, I found a random pill, and of course it was Telepills, and of course it sent me to the I Am Error room. :suicide:

Edit: And because I can't pick up the polaroid or the negative, I can't unlock anything else this run either. There's not some achievement I don't know about for speedrunning the whole game, is there? Because I could totally get that.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Getting taurus in the chest while having max speed made for a hilarious end to my run. Every time I went through a door I became invincible instantly and shot my four knives out. Whatever didn't die from those died from me sticking the knives in the enemies, even the boss. Sad that I didn't get the big door open :(

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Spiffo posted:

Is this the "can't bomb into SPECIAL rooms from the secret room" thing people described earlier? (ie: can't bomb into the shop anymore, treasure rooms, etc)

Or are you describing a "can't bomb into ANY rooms from the secret room"? (meaning you have to leave the way you came in)

Yes it is, though. You could bomb into item rooms/shops/etc. before the latest patch and they said they would fix it in the next one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Spiffo posted:

Being able to bomb into special rooms from secret rooms has always been a thing even in the original game.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ahahaha well this was a fun way to finally beat the chest as the lost...

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Migishu posted:

Just use cheat engine if you are going to waste that much time scumming the game .

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Just use cheat engine if you are going to waste that much time scumming the game .

NEVER! :downs:

7hrs 30mins

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Wouldn't it probably just be quicker to reroll items until you get pyro or something at that point?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

cryptoclastic posted:

Wouldn't it probably just be quicker to reroll items until you get pyro or something at that point?

That's what I'm trying to do

I will do this "100% legit", I don't care how long it takes

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Migishu posted:

That's what I'm trying to do

I will do this "100% legit", I don't care how long it takes

You are pretty much cheating by rerolling, might as well do it the right way and not waste a day of your life. It's not legit the way you are doing it but whatever makes you feel good.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
So I just unlocked and beat the challenge Darkness Falls. I found a Dice Room in Sheol (with one heart left) and dumbly went into it and got the craziest combo ever.

I think it was quad shot, super high fire rate my reflection, and magnetic tears with some other modifiers. It was insane, and I ended up actually beating Satan with it on my fourth life. The trick was to just stand still because the magnetic tears would fling everyone away and wreck them (Sorry for the framerate, i hosed up the gif and it was too late to fix it):

http://i.imgur.com/tGuyaW0.gif

koren
Sep 7, 2003

goodness posted:

You are pretty much cheating by rerolling, might as well do it the right way and not waste a day of your life. It's not legit the way you are doing it but whatever makes you feel good.
How is it not legitimate?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

By saying this, you're saying that using any dice, at any point, is cheating.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You might want to just restart until you get a better setup. It takes a long time to get Meat Boy and Bandage Girl with Monster Manual reuse since you can get the same familiars more than once. Waiting 4 minutes for each use of the Sharp Plug is gonna be a really boring way to spend your time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

goodness posted:

Uh, how is rerolling pretty much cheating? I agree with you in that faced with plugging away at something for hours I would probably just use cheat engine as well, but that just doesn't make any sense.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Resetting for a good start does not even come close to cheating. That's just absurd. It's also faster than playing out every run where you aren't getting what you need, so I dunno where any of that is coming from. :iiam:

Also Meat Boy/Bandage Girl are literally just RNG going in your favor, there's no skill involved with getting the right four horsemen to give you the right drop.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Being able to bomb into special rooms from secret rooms has always been a thing even in the original game.

Oh, I didn't think you could do that. I thought that the secret room would never spawn adjacent to a special room (with the exception of the spikey door curse rooms)

I could have sworn that's how it was in the original game, where you HAD to use a key is you wanted to enter the treasure room or the shop

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I did wonder how long it'd take for people to forget what was and what wasn't in the original game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I can't continue anymore. The first time it happened was when the game froze and I had to ALT+F4 and when I came back my game was lost. I figured that was just caused by quitting improperly. Just now, though, I was playing a Lazarus and, having just beaten mom, quit out of the game to see which bosses I had defeated. Now that game is lost too, which sucks because I got the book of revelations on the first floor and had a level 3 bandage girl.

CaptainWinky
Jun 13, 2001

Dr. Fetus posted:

You might want to just restart until you get a better setup. It takes a long time to get Meat Boy and Bandage Girl with Monster Manual reuse since you can get the same familiars more than once. Waiting 4 minutes for each use of the Sharp Plug is gonna be a really boring way to spend your time.

Yeah, this. It took me ~15 minutes using Monster Manuel + Sharp Plug + Kamikaze + Pyromaniac. With Dr. Fetus or Epic Fetus it would be a little faster since you wouldn't have to switch spacebar items to heal. Depending on Placenta regen is terrible unless you have some books you've been meaning to read while you wait.

I finally got Real Platinum God yesterday. I haven't beaten all the bosses on hard mode though--I have to do Satan/Lamb on pretty much everybody, so I still have some work to do while waiting for Ground Zeroes to come out on Steam.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Just had an Eden run that started me with the blank card and a hierophant card. Easiest run I've ever had, even though I almost ruined everything by leaving the hierophant card outside the boss room on depths 2. Thankfully by then I had cat mode and probably the highest fire rate I've ever had without cancer, so I'd have had to play really badly to lose. Came within inches of getting Mama's Boy, but took a hit right before the It Lives fight. Finally beat the Lamb, though!

This game is fun as gently caress, I'm so glad it's not hobbled by being in flash anymore.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Today I found out the game is moddable, so I made a character! Unfortunately I can't figure out how to add new items or change how existing items work so I don't think it's possible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

CJacobs posted:

Today I found out the game is moddable, so I made a character! Unfortunately I can't figure out how to add new items or change how existing items work so I don't think it's possible.

Cool! I wouldn't have the mouth smiling by default, though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it just me or are big rooms boring?

Maybe...i'm boring.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Volt Catfish posted:

Maybe...i'm boring.

Yeah I don't think any 2x2 rooms make the top 50% imo. I like 1x2 rooms a lot though.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Volt Catfish posted:

Maybe...i'm boring.

Basement/Cellar big rooms are boring because your fire power is pretty low and it can just take forever. Also Basement/Cellar big rooms have a ton of flies and/or spiders which suck. Past that they are not too bad.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Dead Dove
Fate
Holy Grail
Pony
White Pony
Lord of the Pit

OK, game, I get it.

I'm sure there was a Transcendence in a secret room I didn't see either.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

goodness posted:

doing something completely within the means of the game but having it take an extraordinarily long time thereby accomplishing your goal with a feat of patience is now somehow cheating. What logic did you even employ to reach that conclusion?

this thread has had progressively stranger opinions on cheating and stuff of that ilk but congrats on posting the dumbest one by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

CaptainWinky posted:

Yeah, this. It took me ~15 minutes using Monster Manuel + Sharp Plug + Kamikaze + Pyromaniac. With Dr. Fetus or Epic Fetus it would be a little faster since you wouldn't have to switch spacebar items to heal. Depending on Placenta regen is terrible unless you have some books you've been meaning to read while you wait.

I'm on an XL floor and I'm holding out for pyro. I have auto pause disabled so I can do things in the background. I don't mind waiting.