Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

ninjewtsu posted:

I think generally the area denial of the pyro is mostly the threat of getting instantly flamed if you get too close to one, leading to most players keeping their distance and avoiding the area whenever they see a pyro

Using your flames to block enemy sniper vision is going to just be a fool's errand, yeah

Using them to block friendly sniper vision is, however, one of the only easy griefs left in the game.

Aside from picking the sniper class when there are already two or more others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

CoolCab posted:

I can't stand playing solly, but Demo is the One True Class. Take out your stickybomb launcher, hold M2, click at enemies, do 144 damage.

Am I the only one who can't hit anything with sticky spam?

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

pisshead posted:

I've actually been having intermittent issues with rockets. The splash damage seems all over the place. Sometimes I'll hit them, other times I'll land a rocket two steps next to them and it doesn't register. It can get really frustrating. I have the improved network settings in the OP running so I'm not sure if it's just lag or what.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

pisshead posted:

There's an element of prediction: aim in front of them, put the sticky where they'll be in about a half second.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah people act as if demo is an easy class to play but you need to have good game sense to play it well. As cool cab said unless you are playing a map where every one fights over some lame choke point constantly you have to have good prediction.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

LogisticEarth posted:

I've actually been having intermittent issues with rockets. The splash damage seems all over the place. Sometimes I'll hit them, other times I'll land a rocket two steps next to them and it doesn't register. It can get really frustrating. I have the improved network settings in the OP running so I'm not sure if it's just lag or what.

Almost anything can eat the splash damage from a rocket. Stairs, small elevation changes, even train tracks can all just eat the damage from your rockets.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Please give me concheror tips and tricks if there are any outside of the obvious.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jippa posted:

Please give me concheror tips and tricks if there are any outside of the obvious.

conchest tip of all: press m, click the conch under secondary, then click on the gunboats from the menu
BOOM! DID IT! HA! HAD IT BOTH WAYS! ~~NO REGRETS~~

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
1. You may already know this, but hold down the mouse button after you blow your horn because the banner doesn't actually go up until you let go. This lets you find a safe corner to go "NEWS TEAM ASSEMBLE!" and not waste half your charge trying to track down an enemy to use it on. This also applies to all the other banners, too.

2. If there's another soldier on your team with a different banner equipped, stick with him and try to deploy when he does since the effects overlap. Many banners make light work.

3. Conch is nice for helping your guy win pyro vs pyro flamethrower fights and being able to take down heavies 1v1 on open ground.

4. When afterburn runs out and you've got 3 health left from the regen, say "Thanks, Concheror! You really saved me back there!" This will endear you to it so it will be more inclined to help you in the future.

Froodulous
Feb 29, 2008

Hey, head pigeon, is this a bad post?

CoolCab posted:

I can't stand playing solly, but Demo is the One True Class. Take out your stickybomb launcher, hold M2, click at enemies, do 144 damage.

You can hold it down?!

Seriously I just played a game doing this for the first time and felt so overpowered.

8 years in, and I learn how to use the stickybomb launcher.

I'm an idiot.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Jippa posted:

The best tip involves holding the fire button down after you use any soldier banner. The effect doesn't start until you let go of the button. This helps avoid the 3-4 second period where you're running around advertising, "I'm defenseless please shoot me".

Use the concheror speed buff to produce unpredictable movement patterns. If the enemy can predict where you'll be, then it doesn't matter how fast you get there.

Don't be afraid to melee someone if you are at close range. You can overwhelm lazy players by circling them. One of my favorite things involves chasing people down with the speed buff to melee them.

The "restore health on hit" attribute is useful, but don't depend on it to save your life. Watch as your health gets low and try to gain some health back. If you can't gain health back, then try to find an exit strategy.

Explosive surfing works all the time, but the speed buff can also be used to magnify the effects. If an enemy soldier fires a rocket that you can't avoid, then use it to get thrown somewhere else. You can normally laugh as the 2-3 next rockets and other random enemy fire continues to hit the spot you were previously standing on.

Remember that banners are visible to the enemy team, which means that the other team will be gunning for you in particular. Play defensively while using the banners, but try to unload as many rockets as you can. Some banners, such as buff banner, are unaffected by damage falloff and you can do serious damage from very far away.

If your team has a medic, then try to make sure they see you use the banners. Most medics will gladly help keep you alive. Although, keep the medic in mind when you are running/jumping around. Don't use the speed buff and overheal to become better at abandoning your medic. A good compromise is using the banner to blow some stuff up, then return to the medic to get your health replenished. Also, be wary of accidentally throwing a quick fix medic. Quick fix medics may be unprepared for your rocket jumping.

The hardest decision is using the banners at the appropriate time. Use the banners when you see a pile of enemies or when your team needs help.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Froodulous posted:

You can hold it down?!

Seriously I just played a game doing this for the first time and felt so overpowered.

I'm an idiot.
Yeah...I didn't know this either. 400 hours down and no idea.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Froodulous posted:

You can hold it down?!

I'm an idiot.

Yeah, I found out about it last thread and it made people talking about using the grenade launcher seem silly because it's So good. So good!

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I found out about it last thread and it made people talking about using the grenade launcher seem silly because it's So good. So good!

Count me in as someone who barely learned about this until the last thread. I used to use the sticky launcher purely for traps but that didn't do much in an offense situation. Ever since I learned the glory of holding m2 it has made things so much more situational and versatile.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Demoman is my most played class and I'm still just a spamming dink with it. Its Just Fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's certainly something about the delayed satisfaction of a roller blowing someone up, to be sure

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The best is when you can't get a clear shot of a SG somewhere and you don't have time to set up three stickies so you just let some pipes rain down and walk away watching the kill feed for an Engineer and his nest to explode. Cool guys don't look at explosions :smug:

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The best is when you can't get a clear shot of a SG somewhere and you don't have time to set up three stickies so you just let some pipes rain down and walk away watching the kill feed for an Engineer and his nest to explode. Cool guys don't look at explosions :smug:

Or just toss two shots from the Loch n load and destroy all people and buildings near the sentry.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The Buff Banner + the Direct Hit can one-shot medics from all ranges, and your banner is constantly filled. It is easily one of the most satisfying Soldier loadouts for playing on random pubs.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Reiley posted:

The Buff Banner + the Direct Hit can one-shot medics from all ranges, and your banner is constantly filled. It is easily one of the most satisfying Soldier loadouts for playing on random pubs.

I've been trying to get better with the DH. I even turned view models off but I never thought of this thanks.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It only takes two stickies.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Arae posted:

Bannerchat

Also, disguised spies in the radius of your banner do not get glowy bits so it's a silly way to instantly catch a nearby spy.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I found that ducks not flying out of a corpse are a giveaway for dead ringing spies.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I tried cp_snowplow after the big stink about it getting cut from the End of Line update and I dunno if it's me but the map just seems kinda blah to not good? I mean the train thing was kind of neat but it's really not much more then a fancy timer on a A/D map and the layout of the map is just kinda meh

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I tried cp_snowplow after the big stink about it getting cut from the End of Line update and I dunno if it's me but the map just seems kinda blah to not good? I mean the train thing was kind of neat but it's really not much more then a fancy timer on a A/D map and the layout of the map is just kinda meh

Its an unfun map, train gimmick or no it was poo poo.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

pisshead posted:

Hoyt Hoyterson posted:

Almost anything can eat the splash damage from a rocket. Stairs, small elevation changes, even train tracks can all just eat the damage from your rockets.

RL spam is actually different from sticky spam: RL spam you have to predict a vector they're going to take, sticky spam you have to pick a distance they're going to be at and the vector they take is more or less a modifier, if that makes sense.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It could use a little tweaking (it is just V1 afterall) and a nice shiny texture, but this is all I want for Christmas.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=355857046

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I'm going to wiki/google now, but I know how good goons are with vid links.

I keep getting these locked crates and stuff, and hear you guys talking about metals and etc. Is there a nicely produced video explaining this junk? I have loads of stuff accumulated and it's all sitting there. Do yo uahve to buy keys for these locked boxes, or can you make them, ugh :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Don't bother opening crates, except MAYBE seasonal/holiday crates. Don't go overboard if you do. That's all you really need to know, aside from sometimes there's a financially unreasonably small chance of getting a fancy hat from a crate.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't bother opening crates, except MAYBE seasonal/holiday crates. Don't go overboard if you do. That's all you really need to know, aside from sometimes there's a financially unreasonably small chance of getting a fancy hat from a crate.

Do they take up inventory space or can they accumulate infinitely? If this stuff only involves maybe getting a hat - i'm not fussed. I'd like to maybe get some fast-tracked unlocks like the medic crossbow but i'm slowly unlocking them randomly as I play.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Crates take up inventory space, yes. Metals are in the "CRAFTING" menu when you're in the items menu. You can crush two weapons used by the same class (so two sniper rifles or a scout bat + shotgun) to make a scrap, 3 scrap makes a reclaimed, 3 reclaimed makes a refined. You can use 4 Ref to make a random hat but you can trade for just about any hat you want for cheaper so don't bother.

edit: You cannot craft keys to open crates, you have to buy them. If you buy them from the Community Market they're usually a few cents cheaper than directly from MannCo (~$2.41 instead of $2.50) but limited time keys, like the End Of The Line ones, are cheaper direct.

edit2: Weapons out of normal, non fancy name, crates are always "Strange", which means they track kills. Unless you really want a lot of stranges, there's no reason to open regular crates.

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 18, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Peanut President posted:

edit2: Weapons out of normal, non fancy name, crates are always "Strange", which means they track kills. Unless you really want a lot of stranges, there's no reason to open regular crates.

And don't try and open crates for stranges if that's your goal. You can either trade them for metal or buy them direct from the community market for a fraction of the price of a key. There are only a few exceptions to this, but those weapons are from limited/old crates so don't worry.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 18, 2014

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

There are sites that ease the process of turning extra weapons into scrap, if you're looking for metal. I've been using scrap.tf, which straight up trades a piece of scrap for any two weapons you give it so you don't need to worry about them coming from the same class. It also sells weapons on a 1-for-1 basis, which makes it easy to turn drops from classes you don't care about to weapons you want.

No idea if there's a better site/method out there, but it's worked fine for me so far.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

simosimo posted:

I'm going to wiki/google now, but I know how good goons are with vid links.

I keep getting these locked crates and stuff, and hear you guys talking about metals and etc. Is there a nicely produced video explaining this junk? I have loads of stuff accumulated and it's all sitting there. Do yo uahve to buy keys for these locked boxes, or can you make them, ugh :)
People have already answered some of these questions, but here's my attempt at answering it all together:

If you craft two weapons from the same class together, you get "scrap metal". Three of those makes a "reclaimed metal". Three of those makes a "refined metal." Metal is the main TF2 currency in trading stuff. As a newer player, this is the important trade to know about : you can buy any weapon for any other weapon, or any two weapons for each Scrap Metal. "Scrap.tf" is a good website for doing this automatically with bots.

Crates drop randomly, you need keys to open them. Keys are $2.50 in the store. People open crates because it's a slot machine -- there's a 1/200 chance of obtaining a super-rare and super-valuable "unusual hat", which are those hats with wacky garish particle effects floating above them.

Almost everything else you get from a crate is worth far far less the key cost. You'd be better off trading that key for metal: one key is currently worth 14 refined metal, which can get you all the weapons and hats you want. Keys are also a currency in trading stuff, used for more expensive items.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

simosimo posted:

I'd like to maybe get some fast-tracked unlocks like the medic crossbow but i'm slowly unlocking them randomly as I play.

I'd give you one but I just scrapbanked all my dupes.

:negative:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Froodulous posted:

You can hold it down?!

I'm an idiot.

Oh, there's more. Demo is The Best Class.

If you're not jumping, hold M1, particularly when you come around corners. Charged up stickies travel straight and don't "roll"; a charged up sticky can just as easily hit someone close, but an uncharged sticky can't do work at a distance. Stickies have falloff, but toss one past the pocket and at his Medic's feet pushes him up and forward: two places Medics do not want to be (!) and helps break them up. If you're playing on a random crit server, you sometimes just gib them.

Jump. Jump a lot, steal healthpacks. Jump away from ubers. More faster is more better. You're the fastest class. This is called "balance".

Stickies lose their falloff after eight seconds, grenades never have them. This means you're the best class at short, medium and also long range. This is also called "balance".

People say "stock is just as good if not better then sidegrades", this is patently false for all classes except Demo. Stock is better then everything, it's the most powerful and deadly loadout in the game, and it's free.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hold off on jumping around a lot as demo unless I know I'm heading somewhere with a healthpack and nobody from the other team. You can usually do a stickyjump to speed up a rollout and safely grab a healthpack before you run into the other team, though, and stickyjumping was easier for me to learn than rocketjumping was.

But yeah, the sticky launcher is by far the best offensive weapon in the game but you can't nerf it without causing a huge loving uproar. If you halved the clip on it, it'd probably be level with the rocket launcher and the scattergun, but as it is, it's better than both.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

CoolCab posted:

Oh, there's more. Demo is The Best Class.

If you're not jumping, hold M1, particularly when you come around corners. Charged up stickies travel straight and don't "roll"; a charged up sticky can just as easily hit someone close, but an uncharged sticky can't do work at a distance. Stickies have falloff, but toss one past the pocket and at his Medic's feet pushes him up and forward: two places Medics do not want to be (!) and helps break them up. If you're playing on a random crit server, you sometimes just gib them.

Jump. Jump a lot, steal healthpacks. Jump away from ubers. More faster is more better. You're the fastest class. This is called "balance".

Stickies lose their falloff after eight seconds, grenades never have them. This means you're the best class at short, medium and also long range. This is also called "balance".

People say "stock is just as good if not better then sidegrades", this is patently false for all classes except Demo. Stock is better then everything, it's the most powerful and deadly loadout in the game, and it's free.

This reads like a terrible SPUF post.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Red Bones posted:

I hold off on jumping around a lot as demo unless I know I'm heading somewhere with a healthpack and nobody from the other team. You can usually do a stickyjump to speed up a rollout and safely grab a healthpack before you run into the other team, though, and stickyjumping was easier for me to learn than rocketjumping was.

But yeah, the sticky launcher is by far the best offensive weapon in the game but you can't nerf it without causing a huge loving uproar. If you halved the clip on it, it'd probably be level with the rocket launcher and the scattergun, but as it is, it's better than both.

Tbh I feel like cutting its clip would hurt it a lot less than nerfing initial damage (like the actual nerf did).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
Once you go Sticky Jumper you just can't help jumping everywhere as a Demoman, health packs be damned.

Personally I'm ok with the Demoman being the "best" class, though I'd be cool with a slight change or nerf to the stickies. Clip size sounds like a lot more obvious and less stupid than "hey all bombs now do half damage to everything (including buildings) for x seconds. Hope you read the patch notes!".

But I'm just a dumb pubbie who plays Pyro so I have no idea about actual balance in TF2.

• Locked thread