Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm sorry but this word confuses the poo poo out of me.

Blame Mike at the Fender custom shop. It's his own made up word iirc.

http://intl.fender.com/en-CA//series/classic-player/cabronita-telecaster-maple-fingerboard-surf-green/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Recording King has one for under that price.

#1 Recording King doesn't get enough credit around here, they're a really good company. I own one of their banjos and it's a phenomenal instrument for the price.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I have an Ibanez with dual humbuckers and a 5-way switch, which from my understanding, lets me use the neck humbucker as parallel connected. I really like the brightness of theclean tones I can get from that setting but the downside is that it does have a decreased output. I was thinking maybe I should look into getting a guitar with single coils in the neck position, but I still want to have a neck humbucker for the flexibility. So now I'm thinking of two possible options, either I can upgrade the pickups in the guitar I have now and hopefully get ones that will have better output, or I can consider a guitar with a H-S-H configuration and see if that satisfies my needs.

I'd like to ask for input from anyone who has a guitar with H-S-H, what brand/model do you have and what do you think of the clean tones you can get from it?

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

homewrecker posted:

I have an Ibanez with dual humbuckers and a 5-way switch, which from my understanding, lets me use the neck humbucker as parallel connected. I really like the brightness of theclean tones I can get from that setting but the downside is that it does have a decreased output. I was thinking maybe I should look into getting a guitar with single coils in the neck position, but I still want to have a neck humbucker for the flexibility. So now I'm thinking of two possible options, either I can upgrade the pickups in the guitar I have now and hopefully get ones that will have better output, or I can consider a guitar with a H-S-H configuration and see if that satisfies my needs.

I'd like to ask for input from anyone who has a guitar with H-S-H, what brand/model do you have and what do you think of the clean tones you can get from it?

if you like the tone but dont like the decreased output, maybe buy a nice clean boost?

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
Wow, guitarfetish is awesome.

Ordered some pickups and wanted to try their locking tuners to see how they were. Was marked delivered but it never showed.

No questions asked they re-send the $125+ order for nothing, expedited.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I broke my g string last night (heh) and put the Martin FX Medium strings on to replace the Sink and Phosphor set on my acoustic.They seem OK, but the Silk and Phosphors just sounded so awesome and were way lighter gauge so they played so easy. The only down side to the Silk and Phosphor was that they only come in one custom gauge set, which tended to buzz a bit on the low end. But it could also be the string seating with my bridge pins, so maybe I'll try them once more or try a gauge of string somewhere in-between the mediums and those.

Its funny I got back into playing guitar a year ago because of Rocksmith but have been playing my acoustic more than anything lately.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

booshi posted:

Wow, guitarfetish is awesome.

Ordered some pickups and wanted to try their locking tuners to see how they were. Was marked delivered but it never showed.

No questions asked they re-send the $125+ order for nothing, expedited.

I heard a while back that their customer service had slipped, but I guess they're on top of it now then. Good to hear.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

JHVH-1 posted:

I broke my g string last night (heh) and put the Martin FX Medium strings on to replace the Sink and Phosphor set on my acoustic.They seem OK, but the Silk and Phosphors just sounded so awesome and were way lighter gauge so they played so easy. The only down side to the Silk and Phosphor was that they only come in one custom gauge set, which tended to buzz a bit on the low end. But it could also be the string seating with my bridge pins, so maybe I'll try them once more or try a gauge of string somewhere in-between the mediums and those.

Its funny I got back into playing guitar a year ago because of Rocksmith but have been playing my acoustic more than anything lately.

I really want to try the FX strings, but nobody around here sells them. I'll prolly just cave and order some after first of the year. Which gauge of FX's did you put on?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Alleric posted:

I really want to try the FX strings, but nobody around here sells them. I'll prolly just cave and order some after first of the year. Which gauge of FX's did you put on?

I actually got them off Amazon, but you have to toss them in an order with something else: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IIY3M8/

Since the guitar shipped with mediums from Martin, I think its more set up for that. I did have a setup done on it by one of my Dad's friends and he got the action lower and tossed in a set of the Silk and Steel strings, but they had the same kind of buzz on the low end even though they sounded good and were easier to play.

These are the silk and phosphor which I sounded and played awesome but had the same buzzing: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002DC8OE2/

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

I heard a while back that their customer service had slipped, but I guess they're on top of it now then. Good to hear.

About a year ago I got some tuners from them, they sent inline instead of 3x3 like I ordered. They responded to my email like 20 minutes later with a UPS return label and shipped out the correct tuners that afternoon.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

How are guitar fetish pickups? Can they be compared quality wise to any company just for a reference?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

How are guitar fetish pickups? Can they be compared quality wise to any company just for a reference?

They can be compared to Artec pretty fairly. :rimshot:

Edit: I've had;
- VEH "BrownSound" humbucker - ehhh. Not terrible at all. Liked it as the neck in my Tele.

- Neovin Noiseless - liked the POWER ROCK high wound Tele bridge pickup. Wasn't really taken with the Strat offerings when I had them in there.

- TrueCoil Strat Singles - like them. Work well as my neck and middle pickups on my Strat.

- Dream90 - worked awesome as a SG neck pickup in a friends guitar.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Dec 17, 2014

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Stupidly good for the prices, but they aren't trying to be top of the line boutique stuff. You can get a set of them for less than a single coil of a higher end brand, so it's worth it even if they just end up in a beater guitar.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fair enough, doesn't really sound like my kind of thing honestly.

Definitely grabbing some gold foils if I ever score a weird japanese guitar or something though. They seem like ideal pickups for weird projects.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've got a set of their pro '59 single coils in my '80s MIJ Strat, and I've got a pair of Mean 90s in my Ibanez archtop. The Mean 90s are pretty good for the money, and the pro '59s are pretty good just in general.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Sup Pro '59s buddy. :hfive:

Agreed that those are some good pickups.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

They're in the order of most non-boutique pickups, obviously deviations for different models but yeah. Great for the money, and some are just plain great (eg Dream 90).

My main gripe is that they don't do 7 string pickups.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nostalgic Pushead posted:

My main gripe is that they don't do 7 string pickups.

Artec does though.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Their wider rail humbuckers (pretty sure they're a take on Schallers) are the probably the best pickups on the market for sludge/doom stuff.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2014

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I wish they made the mean/dream 90s in an actual P90 shape though. I'm looking to pick a set of P90s up but I don't know about their soapbars.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
I got a cheapo tele from Rondo Music. Plays pretty well, but I find my fingers catching on the frets as I slide up an down.

Is this something I can fix myself with a file or sand paper or something?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

dexter6 posted:

I got a cheapo tele from Rondo Music. Plays pretty well, but I find my fingers catching on the frets as I slide up an down.

Is this something I can fix myself with a file or sand paper or something?

Do you mean on the edge of the neck? Or are you trying to make the frets themselves smaller?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
The top and bottom of the neck (not sure if that's the correct terminology).

Like where they cut the metal to make the frets, it's like each fret is 1mm too long

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Sounds like you're talking about fret sprout? Happens to a lot of guitars this time of year because of heaters lowering the humidity, causing the wood to shrink. If you've had the guitar for a while and just started noticing it then you may just need a humidifier, but you can file the ends pretty easily.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

The Bunk posted:

Sounds like you're talking about fret sprout? Happens to a lot of guitars this time of year because of heaters lowering the humidity, causing the wood to shrink. If you've had the guitar for a while and just started noticing it then you may just need a humidifier, but you can file the ends pretty easily.
It's a band new, $90, fake telecaster.

So just a file?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

dexter6 posted:

It's a band new, $90, fake telecaster.

So just a file?

Yep, as I understand it (I've never to deal with sprout since I mostly buy used and don't live in a very cold/dry climate). There are plenty of guides online, but Dave is always good so here's his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe9NmcK7LuM

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Christmas sprouts :sassargh:

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Well, and I wonder if it's any different in that it was manufactured cheaply vs a new problem. I've never had this on any of my other guitars and I've moved between humid climates before.

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

dexter6 posted:

Well, and I wonder if it's any different in that it was manufactured cheaply vs a new problem. I've never had this on any of my other guitars and I've moved between humid climates before.

Certainly cheap guitars can have sharper, less well finished fret ends.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Has any of you tried this thing:

https://www.musicisum.net/

It looks like a Duolingo for guitar.
Two of the dudes in Rob Chapmans band made it.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
I just got a set of chrome flat wounds for my bass and tele, and I'm in love all over again. So mellow on the low end, and nearly silent sliding up and down the frets. It really brings out a lot of expression when not playing with a pick that I didn't have with nyxls, but they don't feel like they could take the abuse like those could.

It feels like a completely different instrument, I highly recommend grabbing a set if you're feeling like you're in a rut with your current playing.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

The Bunk posted:

Probably not fret sprout, just that the fret ends weren't filed down which is common on cheaper guitars. Pretty easy to fix, just takes some patience.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

pointlessone posted:

I just got a set of chrome flat wounds for my bass and tele, and I'm in love all over again. So mellow on the low end, and nearly silent sliding up and down the frets. It really brings out a lot of expression when not playing with a pick that I didn't have with nyxls, but they don't feel like they could take the abuse like those could.

It feels like a completely different instrument, I highly recommend grabbing a set if you're feeling like you're in a rut with your current playing.

Skin on string fingerpicking with flats is such a great sound. Try to mimic Wes Montgomery's style a bit too, it's very satisfying.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
If only flats could bend like rounds

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hm. Squier Baritone Vintage Modified Jazzmaster. In Antiqua.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh_Z-xREV-I

Hardtail. Interesting.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's loving sick

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Warcabbit posted:

Hardtail. Interesting.

Jesus loving Christ this rules

It's $350 oh boy I'm probably going to own one of these as soon as they hit sweetwater

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 18, 2014

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Warcabbit posted:

Hardtail. Interesting.

This looks delicious.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Warcabbit posted:

Hardtail. Interesting.

I really want to hate it, but I don't. Goddammit. This loving thread has made me like Antigua.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamnit, no rhythm switch. Baritone --> JM neck pu w/rhythm --> fuzz is the best. Wonder how that would look with a tort or gold guard...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Antigua is the best possible finish for guitars.