Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Australian Brewery - The Pale Ale might be the most minimalist branding i've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

Australian Brewery - The Pale Ale might be the most minimalist branding i've ever seen

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

danbanana posted:

Vanilla bean: 1/2 a bean and recap for a couple days.
Coconut: toast some coconut, put it in a french press, pour in BCBS, push that poo poo down.

Would you recommend slicing the half of a vanilla bean down the center first or just drop the half in, untouched?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

atothesquiz posted:

Would you recommend slicing the half of a vanilla bean down the center first or just drop the half in, untouched?

crazyfish?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

atothesquiz posted:

danbanana posted:

crazyfish?

Split the bean in half lengthwise, drop one half in, recap, and shake. Have another use for that other half, because vanilla beans smell so good you'll want to use it in everything.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

So this could be something... Founders sold 30% of its stake in the brewery to Spanish brewing giant Mahou San Miguel.

http://www.brewbound.com/news/founders-sells-30-percent-stake-to-mahou-san-miguel-brewery

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

Vander Mill Cider had a beer called Beer at the UP fall fest but I forgot to try it.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Speaking of, I just saw that Upper Hand has opened; any reports yet? I may or may not be in the UP in a little while so.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Jack's Abby is building a new facility with expanded production capacity and a bigger taproom, which is pretty cool.

http://jacksabbybrewing.com/blog/2014/12/jacks-abby-brewing-announces-plans-for-new-location-in-downtown-framingham/

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Finally have some time to sit down and talk a bit more about the roadie so far, or at least the beer-y side of it.

10 Barrel is now hilariously in danger of losing its brewing license in Idaho due to being owned by AB and therefore tripping some ID regulation or another, but the brewpub in downtown Boise is nonetheless pretty impressive. Way bigger than Bend, with something like 21 beers on tap, encompassing pretty much every one-off they've ever done. Worth visiting. Boise has opened about 8 million breweries this year; I was three days late for the latest grand opening.

Zip Line in Lincoln, NE was a pleasant surprise. They make an IPA with some New Zealand hop or another that I think could hold its own very easily in the West, and the black IPA is a winner too. I would put them above Nebraska Brewing Co. in the competition for best NE beer, though I couldn't say how competitive that fight is.

Side Project is definitely a must-visit in St. Louis. They have a few of their beers on tap, but also a bunch of other Belgians and sours on tap, meaning that you could easily spend an afternoon here. I had Le Saisonnier, which compares great to the sort of saisons Crooked Stave and de Garde put out, and a bottle of Blanc de Blancs, made with Missouri grapes, Missouri wild yeast and Chardonnay barrels. You could have told me this was a wine and I'd believe you; it was both tart, strong, and at the same time very delicate and refreshing. I'm gonna try finding an STL contact for bottle releases.

Rhinegeist Brewing is on the top floor of a loving huge building in the middle of Cincinnati -- the former bottling plant for Christian Moerlein, which brewed in the 19th century here. It's big enough that there's enough space for a full wiffle ball field. The beer's pretty good too, from the Belgian red to a hoppy Xmas spiced ale called "Dad" that I regretted not getting a crowler of when I was thinking about it. Next time. I'd also recommend Ei8ht Ball Brewing in Newport, KY, just across the river, which were offering flights of barrel-aged beers when I showed up. It also has the advantage of actually being inside The Party Source, a warehouse-sized liquor store.

Here's a bonus photo of some energetic young men and women taking a 4-person Fireball shot off a ski in Louisville.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 17, 2014

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Zip Line in Lincoln, NE was a pleasant surprise. They make an IPA with some New Zealand hop or another that I think could hold its own very easily in the West, and the black IPA is a winner too. I would put them above Nebraska Brewing Co. in the competition for best NE beer, though I couldn't say how competitive that fight is.

:respek: Zipline has been around about two years now; they really did the startup the right way, by first doing taps throughout town, then moving up to bottles, then more higher-end-type stuff. Did you try the barleywine?

With regard to the NZ IPA: Just last week they began dry hopping it; I think it's better than before (not sure what you would've had on tap, though).

As for Nebraska: I think NBC's Cardinal Pale Ale may be the best beer made in the state, but Zipline has surpassed them overall. They're only distributing in NE and IA now, but I hope that changes soon.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Real Name Grover posted:

Jack's Abby is building a new facility with expanded production capacity and a bigger taproom, which is pretty cool.

http://jacksabbybrewing.com/blog/2014/12/jacks-abby-brewing-announces-plans-for-new-location-in-downtown-framingham/

I was on a tour there a couple months ago and nothing at all was said about this. Can't wait!

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
These look interesting:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/sixpoint-continues-spirit-of-innovation-with-release-of-24-oz-wide-mouth-silo-can.220796/

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
*shrug*

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Meh indeed. They can come back to me when they put Apollo in those cans, but too little too late since LO Hef will be canned :colbert:

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Speaking of, I just saw that Upper Hand has opened; any reports yet? I may or may not be in the UP in a little while so.

The pale ale is supposed to be pretty good, I haven't seen it for sale yet probably because it was all purchased or something. I will report in when I've tried any/all of the three (a black ale and a lager, oh boy). I don't think the brewery itself is open to the public, kinda lame.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
At a local bar's $3 night, and they have Backwoods Bastard on tap. 14oz pours for $3....yes please!

Already have had Grapefruit Sculpin and Green Flash Green Bullet, so unfortunately I can't just sit here and down BBs unless I wanna walk home.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nuthulu is exploding :peanut:

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 18, 2014

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

I wish I had a vacation day left to burn on the Nuthulu release. Guess I'll have to settle for trolling idiots on CCBE!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

crazyfish posted:

So is Marz Chicago's version of Dogfish Head? http://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleade...-and-i-drank-it

:gonk:

They put a porter in barrels that had been previously used to store pho. Yes, the Vietnamese soup. It was actually pretty spectacular! The base beer was obviously a solid porter, but a slight bit of salt/savory snuck in to give it a slight gose-like character, and then sweet basil came in for a really nice finish. It's probably the most pleasant surprise I've had beer-wise all year.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Retemnav posted:

At a local bar's $3 night, and they have Backwoods Bastard on tap. 14oz pours for $3....yes please!

My 10oz of CBS tonight was $12, worth it.

Got there 1:15 after they tapped it, life is good.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

oh my god this avatar is incredible

EDIT:

Hellbeard posted:

For REDACTED

Who has too much money and time on their hands? Merry Christmas to me

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 18, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
hahahaha

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer
At my second beer release this week. This is how they went. Showed up at Avery ten hours after they started selling bottles. They had tons of bottles left, and still had bottles of three of the last four barrel aged beers they have released (Rumpkin was sold out). Got to Crooked Stave two hours after they started selling bottles today. Tons of bottles left and they still have bottles of everything they have released in the past month. Colorado is the best. I'm giving up on beer if our releases become anything like the ones in the midwest.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

mrcowcow posted:

At my second beer release this week. This is how they went. Showed up at Avery ten hours after they started selling bottles. They had tons of bottles left, and still had bottles of three of the last four barrel aged beers they have released (Rumpkin was sold out). Got to Crooked Stave two hours after they started selling bottles today. Tons of bottles left and they still have bottles of everything they have released in the past month. Colorado is the best. I'm giving up on beer if our releases become anything like the ones in the midwest.

Yeah I'm super jealous of Denver, you guys have awesome poo poo that just sits at the breweries. Have you driven out to Casey yet? You can wait in line there!

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

mrcowcow posted:

Send me some of all of them!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mrcowcow posted:

I'm going to do my proper Chicago duty and ask.... #GOPICKUPFORMEBRO.

Or if that doesn't work, how about :

FT: EXPLODING NTHULU (it's like fireworks and a delicious beer in one!), ISO: Quantity CO walez.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

a worthy uhh posted:

Nuthulu is exploding :peanut:

They should have poured the rest for that idiot and made him sign a waver that GI is not responsible for his throat potentially being shredded.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*

LeafHouse posted:

I wish I had a vacation day left to burn on the Nuthulu release. Guess I'll have to settle for trolling idiots on CCBE!
I left work at 430 and made it with maybe 20 tickets left? Less of a clusterfuck than I expected.

e: has not exploded yet

dominator fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 18, 2014

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I was checking out untappd recently and I saw that BCBS had a whopping 22k checkins in the last month. If that doesn't cement how not-rare it is, it was less than 1000 checkins behind Sierra Nevada Celebration.

So how long until every dickhead is lining up outside of the liquor stores for the big Celebration release? We're almost there, right?

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
If Philly goons want growler fills of BCBS, there's a place in Northeast Philly that has it for 50 per 64oz fill with 25% off on tuesdays. They've had the sixtel for awhile, so if you missed out on the bottle release its there i suppose.

The price seems outrageous, but when you consider it 8$ per 12 oz bottle its not that bad.. Philly prices continue to be philly prices.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Cromlech posted:

If Philly goons want growler fills of BCBS, there's a place in Northeast Philly that has it for 50 per 64oz fill with 25% off on tuesdays. They've had the sixtel for awhile, so if you missed out on the bottle release its there i suppose.

The price seems outrageous, but when you consider it 8$ per 12 oz bottle its not that bad.. Philly prices continue to be philly prices.

A 1/6keg means 8 64oz growler fills. That's absurd that they still have it around,.

mrcowcow
Aug 3, 2006

Too shy to call your name, too high to to play this game.
Grimey Drawer

a worthy uhh posted:

Yeah I'm super jealous of Denver, you guys have awesome poo poo that just sits at the breweries. Have you driven out to Casey yet? You can wait in line there!

Haven't made it there yet. It's hard to justify the 8 hour round trip when there is so much good stuff coming out closer to home. I do want to make it out sometime but that probably won't happen until late spring. My car does not do well in snow.

danbanana posted:

I'm going to do my proper Chicago duty and ask.... #GOPICKUPFORMEBRO.

Or if that doesn't work, how about :

FT: EXPLODING NTHULU (it's like fireworks and a delicious beer in one!), ISO: Quantity CO walez.
Is 12:1 enough to get this done??? Or do I need to add on my end???

Someone on BA is trying to trade one for 3x Prop and a Vanilla Rye. What. The. gently caress.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

MunchE posted:

I was checking out untappd recently and I saw that BCBS had a whopping 22k checkins in the last month. If that doesn't cement how not-rare it is, it was less than 1000 checkins behind Sierra Nevada Celebration.

So how long until every dickhead is lining up outside of the liquor stores for the big Celebration release? We're almost there, right?

Man, if I had to line up for Celebration, I loving would.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

The Oregon Public House, one of my neighborhood pubs, has had a keg of BCBS on for the past 2 nights. It's only half empty.

Granted, it's more of a low traffic, neighborhood sort of a joint, but I still think it's funny.

Edit: Oh, and the pours are 12oz.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

mrcowcow posted:

At my second beer release this week. This is how they went. Showed up at Avery ten hours after they started selling bottles. They had tons of bottles left, and still had bottles of three of the last four barrel aged beers they have released (Rumpkin was sold out).

what was Avery releasing?

drank Abraxas and coffee Abraxas on tap last night. coffee was strange because at first it was nothing but coffee, then towards the end of my glass i could hardly taste the coffee anymore, just spices. i wouldn't have thought it was the same beer if i hadn't been holding the glass the entire time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

mrcowcow posted:

Someone on BA is trying to trade one for 3x Prop and a Vanilla Rye. What. The. gently caress.

That's probably 1 beer too many, but it isn't completely unreasonable. I haven't had this year's Prop yet, but Nthulhu was far and away the best stout/big beer I had at FOBAB this year and on par with some of the all-time greats. I think it's better than any BCBS variant since the OG Vanilla. And it's, what, 400 bottles? Considering what things of similar bottle counts from SARA or DeGarde go for, I'm wouldn't be surprised if that BA trade went through.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

A 1/6keg means 8 64oz growler fills. That's absurd that they still have it around,.

Not to be pedantic but keg sizes are kinda my thing. I gotta fill 1200 of these bad boys today might as well sperg about it.

1/6 keg = 5.16 gallons = 660 oz

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Josh Wow posted:

Not to be pedantic but keg sizes are kinda my thing. I gotta fill 1200 of these bad boys today might as well sperg about it.

1/6 keg = 5.16 gallons = 660 oz

You're right, I always count 8 because at the store I used to work at we'd have to account for sampling/spillage when filling growlers and 8 was the conservative measure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I drank some beers recently. Nobody cares, but here's what I thought of them:

Pizza Boy Abascio-Cell is the base beer for a lot of their sours. It's way less tart than I was expecting and has a very pleasant vinous character. It's enjoyable, but a bit one-note. It definitely doesn't stand up on it's own without additional fruit or extended barrel aging to add more complexity. Not a bad beer by any stretch, but definitely not worth the price tag.

Tired Hands Altar is a bright red holiday inspired berliner brewed with hibiscus, cinnamon, and vanilla beans. You'd look at the list of ingredients and think :barf: but somehow it works and is fantastic. I still can not believe there is no cranberry in it. It tastes like cranberry with just a touch of cinnamon. Fantastic stuff.

Forest & Main Telemachus is the best beer you won't drink this year. It's an english barleywine brewed with orange blossom honey. They did a relatively small unannounced release of 144 bottles and I'm kicking myself for only picking up 6. It's delicate with sweet honey and orange notes and a fantastic floral bouquet.

Nearly everything brewed at Barren Hill continues to be bad. Of the 6 beers I tried on my last trip the only thing worth mentioning is the Jelly Donut Berliner that was brewed as a collaboration with Tom Baker from Earth Bread & Brewery. Which isn't totally surprising because Tom Baker is a great brewer and the standard Barren Hill Berliner is the best beer they make. Ordering a Barren Hill beer is straight up gambling. If you are forced to go here for some reason, just order from their guest taps. The food is pretty good though.

Troegs Mad Elf continues to be the beer I order when I've already had too much to drink. If I'm thinking "I should probably have a Mad Elf" then I've already made a lot of bad decisions and I'm probably going to have a terrible morning the following day.

deedee megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 18, 2014