Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

So it seems like Captain America had a pretty big reveal this week with seemingly wide consequences, apparently someone in every super team (Avengers, X-Men, Inhumans, etc) is a Hydra agent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

So it seems like Captain America had a pretty big reveal this week with seemingly wide consequences, apparently someone in every super team (Avengers, X-Men, Inhumans, etc) is a Hydra agent.

Or it'll be something every other writer ignores because that is stupid as gently caress.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It'd be the cool kinda stupid if it turned out to be Wolverine and Spider-man, thus explaining everything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
That's actually a really dumb idea, because the Avengers isn't what you'd call a stable team, X-Men is currently like 3 different teams that don't particularly like each other, and Inhumans are a royal family that already includes Maximus who tries to take over the entire thing every other week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

That's actually a really dumb idea, because the Avengers isn't what you'd call a stable team, X-Men is currently like 3 different teams that don't particularly like each other, and Inhumans are a royal family that already includes Maximus who tries to take over the entire thing every other week.

A dumb idea...from RIck Remender?

Pull the other one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm just saying none of these are teams that need a double agent to self destruct. poo poo, Avengers and New avengers is currently about how they all hate each other.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
You mean there's a HYDRA agent among the Great Lakes Avengers nooooooooooooooooooo

It's Flatman isn't it

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

You mean there's a HYDRA agent among the Great Lakes Avengers nooooooooooooooooooo

It's Flatman isn't it

What if it's Squirrel Girl?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I'm just saying none of these are teams that need a double agent to self destruct. poo poo, Avengers and New avengers is currently about how they all hate each other.

And then there's all the event comics where heroes fight each other. At this point Hydra pulling out its moles and letting heroes do their thing would probably do more to destroy America than any death weapon they got.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Anora posted:

What if it's Squirrel Girl?

I can see the solicits now. "Cut one nut off, and two more shall take its place"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dacap posted:

Secret Invasion II: Electric Boogaloo?

Dammit Rick, you can't just crib the movies like this. Nobody is going to want to be the guy who reveals one of the X-Men or Avengers is an agent of Hydra. Other than you, apparently.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And then there's all the event comics where heroes fight each other. At this point Hydra pulling out its moles and letting heroes do their thing would probably do more to destroy America than any death weapon they got.

How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -The Illuminati
How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -Secret Invasion
How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -World War Hulk
How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -Civil War
How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -Avenger Vs. X-Men
How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -The Illuminati Again
How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -Captain sAmerica

Oops forgot the other one running right now because I'm actively ignoring and avoiding it

How will the heroes ever trust each other now? -AXIS

SirDan3k fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Dec 18, 2014

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Dacap posted:

Did Rick Remender really like both Secret Invasion and Secret Warriors?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
I would love if they all gathered in the next issue.

Uncanny X-Men
(Cyclops, Emma, Magik, Magneto, Gnome)

JGS X-Men
(Storm, Beast, Iceman, Nightcrawler, Freakshow)

Avengers
(Cap, Ironman, Thor, Hulk, Powerball)

Fantastic Four
(Reed, Sue, Ben, Johnny, 5ive)

SOMEONE FROM EACH TEAM IS A SPY!!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

irlZaphod posted:

Did Rick Remender really like both Secret Invasion and Secret Warriors?

I think it's more he really liked Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

I doubt Remender or any other writer really has that much of a say when Marvel tell them to include certain film plot points.

Other than how well or poorly they attempt to incorporate them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah if this was like 2005 it could be a cool idea but it really feels like "Secret Invasion, again!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's a weird recursive event. The comics are copying the movie event that took the idea from the comic.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

That and in like, what, 4 or 5 months, the books jump forward and it'll be like it never happened.

Hopefully this is just something contained within Remender's books.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Or it could all be a complete misdirect, or Misty Knight has her info wrong, or she was lied to, or she is in on it all, or this is a set up to something else, or there is mind control involved, or.....the story is still ongoing and this was just the second issue.

I like how no one cares that Ian Rogers was killed.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

enigmahfc posted:

Or it could all be a complete misdirect, or Misty Knight has her info wrong, or she was lied to, or she is in on it all, or this is a set up to something else, or there is mind control involved, or.....the story is still ongoing and this was just the second issue.

I like how no one cares that Ian Rogers was killed.

I am pretty sure its a misdirect as he has been mentioned to be in later issues.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure its a misdirect as he has been mentioned to be in later issues.

Yeah, plus there's no way they'd off him like two issues after his big return at the end of the last volume of Cap.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
G. Willow Wilson in the latest issue of Ms. Marvel

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Dr. Killjoy posted:

G. Willow Wilson in the latest issue of Ms. Marvel

Why worry about your probable future in a Mad Maxian hellhole? You could be President!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah if this was like 2005 it could be a cool idea but it really feels like "Secret Invasion, again!"

The thing is, even Secret Invasion wasn't this.
I mean, it wanted to be "A - ha! Every team has been infiltrated, WHO CAN YOU TRUST!" But it never got to do that story beat.
The only books that actually did that were the Avengers title that Bendis himself was writing. And Dan Slott's Initiative book. (And even Slott said the story was sprung on him and he could have done much more with the idea if he'd been told about it in advance.)

Secret Invasion should have been like Battle Star Galactica with people becoming paranoid wrecks scrutinising everyone's actions and everything falling apart due to paranoia.
What it ended up as was "and then you fight some Skrulls who look like 4 other characters blended together. "

The only people to do SI right were the animated series. Or the Ultimate Alliance game, where it is tagged on as the ending to Civil War.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Secret Invasion had some pretty good build up. Elektra and Black Bolt being revealed as Skrulls was exciting as hell. Elektra during the post Civil War, ninja heavy arc that brought back Hawkeye as Ronin, and made Doc Strange an Avenger. Black Bolt at the end of the game changing Illuminati mini.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

The only people to do SI right were the animated series. Or the Ultimate Alliance game, where it is tagged on as the ending to Civil War.

:black101: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVADE WAKANDA :black101:

Ordering every writer in the stable to do the same story beat was a bad idea, just as it was with Civil War. You may not be of the highest opinion of superhero comic writers (and you would be right most of the time), but they are writers with their own tastes and preferred approaches.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I also really liked the post Secret Invasion Elektra mini series, mostly because "I am Elektra Natchios, not even the stars in the sky are safe" is up there with "My name is Inigo Montoya..." in terms of bad-assitude.

Edit: Actually, during Civil war, most of the side poo poo sucked, but post Civil War, usually the best stuff in an event is the tie-in comics.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Dec 20, 2014

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I remember the guy who wrote the Xmen tie in for Secret Invasion wanted to make Nightcrawler a Skrull but editorial said no. So instead he just treated some skrull artifact as religious worship or some poo poo.

Xmen get the worst tie ins for these events.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
So I've been blowing through back catalog thanks to Marvel Unlimited, but I've been completely ignoring the AR stuff. Am I missing out on anything?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fatherboxx posted:

:black101: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU INVADE WAKANDA :black101:

Ordering every writer in the stable to do the same story beat was a bad idea, just as it was with Civil War. You may not be of the highest opinion of superhero comic writers (and you would be right most of the time), but they are writers with their own tastes and preferred approaches.
See, outside of Secret Invasion (which really did just boil down to NOW YOU FIGHT SKRULLS every time), I thought in the mid-2000s Marvel did a way better job of at least setting up their event lines to have some variation on the big story beat.

Civil War hijacked everyone's stories, and was pretty badly mismanaged in a lot of the tie-ins, but the basic idea of "The government wants everyone with powers to register, people are taking sides, villains are getting deputized, heroes are becoming fugitives" leaves space for a pretty wide number of reactions/events. On a smaller scale, the same could be said of World War Hulk and Dark Reign and most of that Bendis-Era-Avengers run of events. There was a big inciting event/status quo every writer had to deal with, but there was wiggle room within the actual event. This could have been the case had they actually done Secret Invasion better (with more focus on infiltration, the sort of Invasion/coup they hinted at in the run-up where there would be at least a fig leaf of "The Aliens are Our Friends and Will Be Benevolent Occupiers") but instead it really was "NOW YOU FIGHT SKRULLS". This is (one of the reasons) Blackest Night was so unbearable too, because that one hit THE EXACT SAME BEATS for every story. Or I guess there were two alternatives:

"Oh no, a zombie [friend/enemy]! My heart is swelling with emotions but you want to eat my heart because my heart has emotions in it! I must inconclusively fight you because only a Rainbow Lantern Care Bear Stare can kill a Zombie, because Hal Jordan is the greatest."
"Oh no, a zombie [friend/enemy]! My heart is swelling with emotions but you want to eat my heart because my heart has emotions in it! I guess I'll come up with some crazy way to kill you because I don't listen to my editors."

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Question Blackest Night issue was good! The mystical side of being a warrior for justice was a huge part of Question, and BN brought the lessons that Vic Sage was trying to teach full circle with his closest friends. They survived an encounter the twisted mockery of his memory by attaining the enlightenment he was always trying to teach them, however briefly.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Did Aracely/Hummingbird enroll in the Jean Grey School or something? I'm catching up on Nova and on the halloween issue there's a girl with black hair that texted Nova by mistake trying to text Speedball, all I can think of is her being Aracely since she was in the same team as both of them, but ?????.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
I can't imagine why she'd be going to the Jean Grey School, since she's a demigod, not a mutant.

I really, really hope Marvel doesn't forget about her now that New Warriors is canceled, though. Kaine not bringing her up even once during Spider-Verse makes me worry.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Castomira posted:

I can't imagine why she'd be going to the Jean Grey School, since she's a demigod, not a mutant.

I really, really hope Marvel doesn't forget about her now that New Warriors is canceled, though. Kaine not bringing her up even once during Spider-Verse makes me worry.

Did Yost write that tie in? She'll probably pop up occasionally in other stuff he writes for Marvel, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on her popping up in anything written by anyone else, except maybe another short lived young hero team book where most of them die by the end.

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

Castomira posted:

You don't have to be a mutant to attend or teach at the Jean Grey School.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Broo is a mutant, but Kid Gladiator isn't right?

Man I loved Captain Marvel, the framing device was really well used. The Jess part was by far my favorite. I loved the flashback where Carol says 'Its a rat, we're superheroes, that's overkill". Though the Xmas issue will be after the holidays, crummy.

Inventor stole Lockjaw, yea that won't turn out poorly for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Stealing a teenage girl's dog is just about the most evil thing anyone can do.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

Man I loved Captain Marvel, the framing device was really well used. The Jess part was by far my favorite. I loved the flashback where Carol says 'Its a rat, we're superheroes, that's overkill".

The part with Jess was good. I also loved Wendy telling Rhodey to "Pull a Carol"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dragonshirt posted:

You don't have to be a mutant to attend or teach at the Jean Grey School.

It certainly helps, though.

• Locked thread